• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think ryu is going to be top tier

Do you think he will be?

• Total voters

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I should add that any progress for Ryu hinges on whether or not people sleep on him for months... :p

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Ryu has more options than any other character in the game. This will make him top tier.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Great players may be less inclined to try him seriously since he'll be banned at Evo.

Actually they are taking a poll right now to allow all DLC characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ryu is something in this game i must say. I feel bad for those who can't make the best of him ( i'm def one of them ) but its very fun to see top players in tournies with him, using all of his combat options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Ryu has more options than any other character in the game. This will make him top tier.
He has options but he still has noticeable weaknesses. Like his aerials vs shield problem and short range.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
It kind of bothers me how a lot of people think Ryu is going to be top tier just because he "has more options than anybody else", but that's not how it works. For example, let's say I showed up to a fight and my opponent showed up with a shotgun and a pistol and I showed up with a sword, a slingshot, a banana peel, and Oddjobs hat. I have twice as many options than he does. But are they any good or do they match up to his options? No. I would get slaughtered anyway. I have more options than he does but not all of them are good or they don't match up to his. I'm not saying that Ryu's options are bad but obviously, not all of his options are good.

Quality
------------
Quantity

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Definitely top ten. Right now I only fear Sheik, ZSS, Lucas and Rosalina.

He can legit handle anyone else imo.

Def top ten material. On the same level as Captain Falcon.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986

I feel like Falcon is a good comparison here. I'm curious why you think Sheik? I can only guess Sheik can easily gimp Ryu but as long as there's a way to deal with needle spam, isn't Sheik the perfect MU for Ryu? She does all the approaching for you, and as long as you trade hits with her consistently you'll come out ahead. Ryu also has earlier kill options.

Rosa I think will take time. Ryu can downthrow Rosalina to obliterate Luma if it's close during the grab, or uthrow if Luma is in front. When Luma's gone it seems entirely possible to destroy Rosa, and she dies super early. I'm sure Rosa can destroy Ryu off stage, though, probably very similar to how she can gimp Luigi.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I feel like Falcon is a good comparison here. I'm curious why you think Sheik? I can only guess Sheik can easily gimp Ryu but as long as there's a way to deal with needle spam, isn't Sheik the perfect MU for Ryu? She does all the approaching for you, and as long as you trade hits with her consistently you'll come out ahead. Ryu also has earlier kill options.

Rosa I think will take time. Ryu can downthrow Rosalina to obliterate Luma if it's close during the grab, or uthrow if Luma is in front. When Luma's gone it seems entirely possible to destroy Rosa, and she dies super early. I'm sure Rosa can destroy Ryu off stage, though, probably very similar to how she can gimp Luigi.
She can probably zone Ryu out with needles and hoo-hah him at kill %.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's literally just needles. He OBLITERATES her in footsies, kill power and OoS options. But needles kill him in neutral and edge guarding situations.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
It's literally just needles. He OBLITERATES her in footsies, kill power and OoS options. But needles kill him in neutral and edge guarding situations.
I haven't played much Sheik so just a curious question here but how does he obliterate her in footsies?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Range and power. He has these over her. She has him in mobility but if Ryu plays reactive, hit for hit he will come out on top.

Last edited:

estabon9

Smash Rookie
Range and power. He has these over her. She has him in mobility but if Ryu plays reactive, hit for hit he will come out on top.
I dunno. If sheik just walls ryu out with fairs, it becomes really hard to get in. If she hits a fair she gets a huge punish and she can just wait for ryu to do something unsafe while she walls him out. Pretty hard to play reactive against that, as she doesn't have to commit to anything.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
But what if Sheik catches him with one of her main combo starters like ftilt or fair? Ryu has great damage output on single moves but doesn't Sheik have incredible damage racking from followups? He gets like one follow up from a few of his longer ranged attacks like strong down tilt and I think strong up tilt while she gets like 4-5 fairs and can carry Ryu offstage. Her ftilt outranges his jab and dtilt. I mean, Ganondorf beats Sheik in range and power too and can trade hits with her. But he still gets dominated after one grab, fair or ftilt.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
F-tilt string technically isnt true. I think you can mash out a DP so that can make her hesitate.

And her combos honestly Ryu can equal or outdo in one single hit.

Ryu outranges f-tilt with d-smash which is pretty safe as well as strong jab. Hadoukens are also strong poke tool. Strong d-tilt also has more range then f-tilt. Trust me he has more options then her to win a poke war.

Also if Sheik fairs Ryu on block shes a dead ninja. Also Ryu is not trying to "get in".

Dont get me wrong. I body Ryus with Sheik, but I think they approach the match incorrectly. Too much aggression. Not enough being passive.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I know some shieks love using ftllt to combo from the ground. Can I just buffer srk since it may not be a true string? I do it with zss but there is no invincibility. The risk reward for ryus seems very good. Also can ryu use fadc in the air to avoid her fair strings or srk in the air too?

estabon9

Smash Rookie
F-tilt string technically isnt true. I think you can mash out a DP so that can make her hesitate.

And her combos honestly Ryu can equal or outdo in one single hit.

Ryu outranges f-tilt with d-smash which is pretty safe as well as strong jab. Hadoukens are also strong poke tool. Strong d-tilt also has more range then f-tilt. Trust me he has more options then her to win a poke war.

Also if Sheik fairs Ryu on block shes a dead ninja. Also Ryu is not trying to "get in".

Dont get me wrong. I body Ryus with Sheik, but I think they approach the match incorrectly. Too much aggression. Not enough being passive.
If sheik spaces fair though, it's perfectly safe on block. She can double jab after fastfalling fair, and ryu has to roll away, and can't drop shield to retaliate, or else sheik can follow up the jabs withbwith into punish. Overall, I think if sheik just walls and spaces fairs, ryu really can't overcome sheik without a lot of difficulty.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
She wont be able to space perfectly all the time especially if ryu is staying mobile. So her getting punished will eventually happen.

estabon9

Smash Rookie
She wont be able to space perfectly all the time especially if ryu is staying mobile. So her getting punished will eventually happen.
Top level sheiks such as Mr r and zero are really quite good at this though, and you can see how much work fair just puts in for them. However, they are prob the best of the best, so yeah, you can definitely look for the mistakes to capitalize on when ryu is fighting most sheiks.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
For the record I feel she wins the match and is IS Ryus hardest match imo. I'm just talking about how Ryu can win. Not saying he has advantage.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

Gotta ask why you feel Lucas is a particular threat to Ryu. The others are solid tops but Lucas doesn't feel that way to me right now.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I don't he meant lucas is top 10 but lucas is just someone ryu fears. I believe lucas can keep ryu out and he has multiple hits to decrease the usefulness of down b on and off stage.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lucas just has the tools and unlike Ness who Ryu can gimp with FADC to absorb PK Thunder, Lucas version is multi hit. The Zair is REAL and his close range game is legit.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
just fought a very skilled sheik from our region and WTF is ryu supposed to do. i was so wrong.

seriously everything sheik does is faster and has better range, and can outzone with needles. and sheik's punish game on ryu is pretty brutal. if i blinked at the wrong time i'd wind up with 40% dmg on me.

Signia

Smash Lord
If Sheik is coming in with fairs, isn't that the perfect place to SRK on reaction? You also have heavy jab that covers that space.

On the ground, Sheik's ftilt is outranged by heavy dtilt.

In the air, your fair will trade favorably with everything.

Sheik needs a read into a read to kill Ryu. You just need one at 90%. Don't punish with grabs and dash attacks, punish with light dtilt into links or dash d, df, SRK.

In theory Ryu shouldn't have that much trouble against Sheik aggression, it's needles that's the problem.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
just fought a very skilled sheik from our region and WTF is ryu supposed to do. i was so wrong.

seriously everything sheik does is faster and has better range, and can outzone with needles. and sheik's punish game on ryu is pretty brutal. if i blinked at the wrong time i'd wind up with 40% dmg on me.
They both are fast and Ryu overall has more range. Needles is the main issue and her recovery time. You have to play more reactively and not commit.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
They both are fast and Ryu overall has more range. Needles is the main issue and her recovery time. You have to play more reactively and not commit.
what do you mean by not commit? like over extending if you get a hit?

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
I firmly believe in this.

Options and resources are so powerful to leverage in gaming in general.

Let me edit it slightly, I believe he will be high tier, with the potential to be top tier by being pushed that way with work.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Somebody in the thread said that SF Input Tatsumaki was invincible. This isn't true. My brother spiked me as Ganondorf easily multiple times and the Sheik CPU hit me three times in a row offstage while I was in the middle of the move. It has a spinning hitbox that sometimes clashes with moves and the other half of the time Ryu just takes the hit.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746

Most chars seem to have this problem against shiek. Ryu can rack damage and Potentially KO early with a shoryuken combo but shiek having those needles and lagless moves is gonna be a pain.
Somebody in the thread said that SF Input Tatsumaki was invincible. This isn't true. My brother spiked me as Ganondorf easily multiple times and the Sheik CPU hit me three times in a row offstage while I was in the middle of the move. It has a spinning hitbox that sometimes clashes with moves and the other half of the time Ryu just takes the hit.
Is it just clashing? Because usually when moves clash both people stop their animation unless special moves are an exception. Only reason I ask is because sonic's specials can be clashed with and he stops his animation and goes back to a neutral state.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Most chars seem to have this problem against shiek. Ryu can rack damage and Potentially KO early with a shoryuken combo but shiek having those needles and lagless moves is gonna be a pain.

Is it just clashing? Because usually when moves clash both people stop their animation unless special moves are an exception. Only reason I ask is because sonic's specials can be clashed with and he stops his animation and goes back to a neutral state.
It looks like it clashes but Ryu doesn't stop moving. If he's invincible at all during the move, it's just his leg. But that's what confuses me because Sheik just slapped me in the face 3 times offstage in a row before I recovered after using the move 3 times to get back. I might have not noticed and she just slapped me when Ryu was facing the other way since you know...he spins around during the move. His head is definitely vulnerable during the move though so he's very susceptible to meteors.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
It looks like it clashes but Ryu doesn't stop moving. If he's invincible at all during the move, it's just his leg. But that's what confuses me because Sheik just slapped me in the face 3 times offstage in a row before I recovered after using the move 3 times to get back. I might have not noticed and she just slapped me when Ryu was facing the other way since you know...he spins around during the move. His head is definitely vulnerable during the move though and he's very susceptible to meteors.
Hmm, I wish we knew for sure what, if anything, Ryu gets from Tatsu. Maybe if it's true tatsu vs regular but Idk.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Hmm, I wish we knew for sure what, if anything, Ryu gets from Tatsu. Maybe if it's true tatsu vs regular but Idk.
I haven't noticed anything different other than the SF input doing more damage and knockback than side B(and maybe more priority?). Sometimes, SF input kills at like 120-130% and other times it doesn't even kill at 150%. This move is really confusing...

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I haven't noticed anything different other than the SF input doing more damage and knockback than side B(and maybe more priority?). Sometimes, SF input kills at like 120-130% and other times it doesn't even kill at 150%. This move is really confusing...
Yeah, I think at the tail end of the move the KB goes up, limiting it's uses in combos as only the beginning part will combo. I did find some combos that can reliably combo into the last bit of tatsu but this can only be dont ~50% and below.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
So,ryu's side b,it has enough time to go through a black hammering dk after it clanks.Of course the dk had jumped afterwards,but still...

Top Bottom