• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you still have hope for Ike?

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Wow, Arturito, thanks for the well defined umm...definition. But I have a confession to make. I really didn't need to know what it meant. I was just poking fun of everyone who, up until a couple of months ago, would just say Ike's game or strategy or something like that. Now everybody on this "METAGAME" trip, because it kinda sounds sophisticated and cool. Anyway, I was sort of being an *ss**L*, so I guess I get wat I deserve. Sorry to make you go through all that trouble.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
couldn't you have answered the question instead of coming up with that very clever reply?
The point is that he's better off looking it up as opposed to asking a simple question. It takes just as much energy and you get the answer faster. Far more helpful than answering the question.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
lol back to topic at hand. Yeah what frustrates me is how Ike has very few approaching options in terms of quick approach options.

Jab: fast, good damage hard to punish
flaw: very limited range
B-air: fastest aerial, can kill
flaw: very horizontal range (which can be adjusted to)
n-air: fast, good combo starter
flaw: out of all his aerials probably shortest in terms of range as in how far away it can extend from his body. This is what I find most troubling. My friend's marth's n-air and f-air can go thru this thing, and that's a major problem.
F-air: most range
flaw: not fast so unless you do a retreating f-air your opponent can simply rush in and do a quick attack. And if you do approach with it they can always spot dodge :(
These are the best methods of approaching with Ike. Don't question it. Also QD isn't counted b/c its very predictable and only should be used once every so often. All the other attacks are so slow that you need prediction to hit with and that doesn't count as an approach. This is what has been troubling me and that is the fact that all of Ike's "safe" approaching options all have flaws that can be exploited.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i have started to drift to a new character that i stopped using Ike against people unless it was a match up in Ike's favor. Seriously Ike is left open even by his fastest moves and its hard to counter attack people with Ike when dealing with people with little lag after their attacks. Its hard to punish since your slow =\.

Betaz

Smash Ace
I too have actually drifted off to other characters...but I still consider myself an Ike main, :/ like whenever I play as him...I seem to win more...so I'm more just exploring counter characters...or playing other characters for fun...like just recently I've picked up G.Dorf.(he's so fun ^.^) yet he is so extremely hard to use...

as for Ike....I'll come back to him if I want to win...or I'll use Lucario too (maybe dual mains? *shrug*)

Phillyfanboy

Smash Apprentice
Then we'd all be snake players ^_^

Ummm...Ike v.s. Snake a good fight..not at all easy for a snake player tho..trust me.

I win with Snake mostly when a faced Ike...but the airgame is a huge issue with Snake, and this is amplifed v.s. Ike.

Which puts me back on topic...

I feel the same abit about Ike, it is very easy to geuss whats coming next..

What about Ike's airgame no one has metioned that as a +. I'm not talking about sh and attacking.

I mean air to air fighting. Is Ike any good in the air? (ex. does Ike's uair beat Ness's dair?)

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I'll flat out admit that I've stopped using Ike competitively. I only use him in friendlies now.

I have my reasons, mainly regarding Ike's ever expanding lack of flexibility. His character design was becoming more and more cumbersome for me with everyday.

I use Marth now. I'm sure that makes some of you sad. But Marth can adapt, and has a move-set that is almost entirely useful. I need these things in characters that I use in a competitive environment.

If Ike ever can become viable (through the discovery of some nice AT perhaps), I may pick him up again. But I still have a lot of doubt in that.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Ummm...Ike v.s. Snake a good fight..not at all easy for a snake player tho..trust me.

I win with Snake mostly when a faced Ike...but the airgame is a huge issue with Snake, and this is amplifed v.s. Ike.

Which puts me back on topic...

I feel the same abit about Ike, it is very easy to geuss whats coming next..

What about Ike's airgame no one has metioned that as a +. I'm not talking about sh and attacking.

I mean air to air fighting. Is Ike any good in the air? (ex. does Ike's uair beat Ness's dair?)
Well Ike is good in the air, but it is very punishable. My reasons are that if the opponent ever decides to air dodge your aerial your scrwd unless you used a n-air. The only time Ike has an advantage in the air is when both characters are attacking each other with aerials b/c more often then not Ike will out range or over power their attack.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
I'll flat out admit that I've stopped using Ike competitively. I only use him in friendlies now.

I have my reasons, mainly regarding Ike's ever expanding lack of flexibility. His character design was becoming more and more cumbersome for me with everyday.

I use Marth now. I'm sure that makes some of you sad. But Marth can adapt, and has a move-set that is almost entirely useful. I need these things in characters that I use in a competitive environment.

If Ike ever can become viable (through the discovery of some nice AT perhaps), I may pick him up again. But I still have a lot of doubt in that.
So I'm not the only one... awesome.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
I beat a spammy Metaknight today at Gigabits (who had just won doubles). As Ike. I won the impossible match, so I have so much hope for Ike that it's ridiculous. Ended up placing 24th out of 95ish.

A few weeks ago I also won Doubles in a 10 team (admittedly very small) tournament in Sarasota teaming with a DK, and got second in Singles out of like 24 or 25. (Also very small.) I also got 9th in an 80-man tournament in Miami in March, using Ike in every match. Also got 33rd out of 126 at the last Gigabits. Never used anyone but Ike in any match.

It's all about heart, and not panicking when you're getting the **** knocked out of you. Every ridiculous matchup I've found so far that screws Ike over royally I've managed to overcome (Metaknight, Wolf, Falco, Olimar). I've also always liked the Snake matchup.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I fought M2K's metaknight, M2K who is like the greatest smasher in my state, and he totally annihilated my ike. He made gimping aether so easy and edgeguarded the crap out of me.

I use Ike competitively but only as a COUNTER PICK character. Otherwise i now use Pikachu. I can't grasp Marth for now.

Ike works WONDERS on Ice Climbers in my experience. Also he's all i can use against G&W, Lucas, Ness, Wolf, and Olimar. I need an Olimar counter...rest i can handle with Ike.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I find Ike to be the kind of character who doesn't require huge amounts of skill, but knowledge. Timing is necessary, and he has some very good moves. His spike is pretty good, and his B-air is very quick, at least compared to his other moves. And knowing the range of his quick draw is key to get in close and attacks with the opponent is open.

He may be slow, but i only find myself being punished when I'm doing stupid ****.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
I fought M2K's metaknight, M2K who is like the greatest smasher in my state, and he totally annihilated my ike. He made gimping aether so easy and edgeguarded the crap out of me.

I use Ike competitively but only as a COUNTER PICK character. Otherwise i now use Pikachu. I can't grasp Marth for now.

Ike works WONDERS on Ice Climbers in my experience. Also he's all i can use against G&W, Lucas, Ness, Wolf, and Olimar. I need an Olimar counter...rest i can handle with Ike.
Seriously, Olimar? Ike vs. Olimar is Ike getting shield grabbed 1,000 times per match.

I find Ike to be the kind of character who doesn't require huge amounts of skill, but knowledge. Timing is necessary, and he has some very good moves. His spike is pretty good, and his B-air is very quick, at least compared to his other moves. And knowing the range of his quick draw is key to get in close and attacks with the opponent is open.

He may be slow, but i only find myself being punished when I'm doing stupid ****.
Metaknight is fast enough to punish you even when you do smart ****.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Seriously, Olimar? Ike vs. Olimar is Ike getting shield grabbed 1,000 times per match.

Metaknight is fast enough to punish you even when you do smart ****.
Meta Knight punishes everyone, so lets not act like Ike is some kind of uncommon victim here. Ike has some good aerials and can be used effectively when used with mindgames.

I firmly believe he'll make it to high tier. ^_^

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace

M2K could probably **** anyone in here with Captain Falcon, let alone his Metaknight! Heck, I'm impressed if you held even on stocks by the end of the match!

Ike is a pretty solid counter pick, particularly against those in the lower end of the game. He's a great newbie smasher in the first couple round of a tournament, especially if you're of the mentality not to show your main in the early rounds.

I beat a spammy Metaknight today at Gigabits (who had just won doubles). As Ike. I won the impossible match, so I have so much hope for Ike that it's ridiculous. Ended up placing 24th out of 95ish.

A few weeks ago I also won Doubles in a 10 team (admittedly very small) tournament in Sarasota teaming with a DK, and got second in Singles out of like 24 or 25. (Also very small.) I also got 9th in an 80-man tournament in Miami in March, using Ike in every match. Also got 33rd out of 126 at the last Gigabits. Never used anyone but Ike in any match.

It's all about heart, and not panicking when you're getting the **** knocked out of you. Every ridiculous matchup I've found so far that screws Ike over royally I've managed to overcome (Metaknight, Wolf, Falco, Olimar). I've also always liked the Snake matchup.

These victories, I think, had much more to do with your skill level than your character selection. I applaud you for bringing the Ike SMASHDOWN on the people in your state, though. ^^

Meta Knight punishes everyone, so lets not act like Ike is some kind of uncommon victim here. Ike has some good aerials and can be sued effectively when used with mindgames.

Lol'd. If Ike makes high tier, I'll be amazed. Mid tier at best. There are way too many characters that deserve high tier before him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ussi: Did I see you at that tourney or no?

I was the light skin black guy with the mustache and the goatee hanging with my friend who was the fat fillipino. (Warrior of Zarona the moderator)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Meta Knight punishes everyone, so lets not act like Ike is some kind of uncommon victim here. Ike has some good aerials and can be sued effectively when used with mindgames.

No, he's no longer high tier. Ike has the advantage vs none of the high to top tiers.

Ike at least will likely make mid tier. From what I recall, his matchups vs many high tiers while out of his favor are not like like ZOMG 90-10. Unless you talk Snake and Metaknight yeah.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
No, he's no longer high tier. Ike has the advantage vs none of the high to top tiers.

Ike at least will likely make mid tier. From what I recall, his matchups vs many high tiers while out of his favor are not like like ZOMG 90-10. Unless you talk Snake and Metaknight yeah.
*Pumps fist

**** you A2Z, DAAAYUUUUM YOOOOU!

But seriously, the more I look at his matchups, the more mid-mid works for me. >.<

Hey his name isn't Ganon or Ivysaur, so I'm fine. ^_^

(Even Dam is censored, lol.)

ShengNu

Smash Apprentice
Just because he's not a "deep" character doesn't mean he can't win. In fact, Yoshi is far more complex/has way more to his meta game than Ike, but who's the better character?
you obviously havent played many good yoshi's to make such a bold statement like that o_o

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
What?

>_>

Dude, Yoshi is clearly inferior to Ike as a character. That **** isn't even debatable.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ussi: Did I see you at that tourney or no?

I was the light skin black guy with the mustache and the goatee hanging with my friend who was the fat fillipino. (Warrior of Zarona the moderator)

i was there ^^ i heard your name there so i was like OMG someone i know~

I was the very light skinned indian who fought anbu the first round. then holychef the 1st losers then COMP! the 2nd losers. I used Ike in the loser brackets. Also the guy who went Pikachu vs M2K's MK and actually managed to take some stocks sometimes (<3 thunder) And the guy who was defeated in 34 seconds by M2K's MK >.> using Ike. 2nd time i managed to accidentally take a stock with aethercide ^^ I don't remember seeing you though =\ next montage tourney lets have a friendly?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Actually, I've probably played the best Yoshi in the country on several occasions. If not THE best, one of them.

Ike is better than Yoshi.

Snake vs Ike isn't that bad of a match up. Meta Knight is worse, but winnable.

As of right now I would say Ike is top of the mid tier. He can beat any high or top tier if played well.

Ike's who are worrying either.

1. Aren't good enough with him

2. Can't handle spammers online due to lag.

3. A mixture of both

I see you guys crying about characters like Olimar and Wolf, and that shows me you guys are not playing Ike as well as you could be. Those matches favor the other character in my opinion, but I've fought beast Wolfs and decent Olimars, and needing to use someone else to beat them is far from a neccessity. I'm even hearing Falco isn't that bad anymore.

If you consider Fox to be high tier then Ike should be bottom of the high tier, slightly above Fox. If not, then they are both top of the mid.

I also believe Ike has the advantage on Zelda. Dunno if you guys consider her high tier though.

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Ike is a sad charcter with very little competive positives. That doesn't stop me from beasting noobs with him. Ike the overrated one vs. Wario the underrated one. Wario has gone a long way and right now he's currently doing the fourth or second best in tournament play while Ike's tournament results are steadily dropping. I don't hate Ike I'm just tired of a certain Ike main trolling on the Wario boards just because he's more of a complex character.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Sure Ike is good for beginner's, and they flock around him and the character I hate the most, Pit. But Ike is definitely not an online char, the lag absolutely murders him. Especially when using aerial moves. They cannot be timed at all. Whenever I play Ikes online I spam them badly, and rack up damage. But dodging is your biggest worry with Ike, and spacing.

But Basically with Ike, you know whats coming. Thats why I choose not to play with Ike.

And I agree wit the Wario statements as I second him.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Emperor Time I have to agree with you. I really liked Ike like seriously. I loved him. However, after playing him for so long I just got bored with him, you know? It wasn't the fact that Ike wouldn't do too well in competitive play but the fact that, "Hey, I've played him a lot, but there is only so much enjoyment in landing a mind game f-asmash and pulling off a 2-hit combo." I wanted to move on to something more.

Now I play marth, samus and kirby, who are very good combo characters. And I just love that b/c every match is different since you can approach each one differently. So too sum it up, I haven't lost hope for Ike, I just got bored of him and his limited options in actual gameplay.

Top Bottom