• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you rematch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khalith

Smash Rookie
Hey all, first thread here from a player looking to improve but this is something I’ve asked elsewhere and got some interesting responses.

I normally don’t rematch, as of this moment I’ve been working on the various online play challenges so I need to be able to switch characters and collect smash tags.

If I win, I don’t rematch because I got the tag I needed.

If I lose, I just leave and move on because I’m probably not getting the tag since I was working on the 30 different characters milestone, as in playing characters I never touch and am obviously terrible with.

Just thought I’d pose the question here.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Yes, I request a rematch vs most opponents.

Reasons I might not rematch:
1) I want/need to exit Quickplay
2) Coincidence keeps matching me with people using the same character and I want a different matchup
3) You play different rules that I don't like
4) You use a character I find particularly annoying (not broken or OP, just annoying) and in that moment my desire to not be annoyed outweighs my desire to rematch
5) I lost in a way that made me rage and I need to collect myself before playing more
6) I want to change characters
7) Lag

Last edited:

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
I always go best 2 out of 3.
I've won plenty of matches thanks to luck and go on to get destroyed in the following two matches. I appreciate when the other player gives me a rematch cause Ive ended up winning them.

Whenever someone leaves after only one close match, I assume they know they would have lost the rematch and just want to inflate their GSP.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Usually, yes.

I typically won't fight again if another player is:

Laggy
Has rules I don't like

I will play again otherwise, regardless of whether or not I'm winning or losing. I actually prefer fighting someone I'm losing to that's a strong player than just beating the same person over and over again, and like to try my best to ignore GSP losses (or gains). I get more excited by finally beating a strong player.

I also sometimes don't rematch against characters I really do not enjoy fighting.

Last edited:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Yes.

I always rematch because I want to learn as much matchups as possible, you can't do that on one match.
At this moment I have no :ultmegaman: VS :ultrosalina::ultduckhunt::ultmewtwo: :ultbrawler: experience because barely anyone plays them online.
I know you may consider Megaman to be annoying but that's is exactly the reason you gotta learn the matchup.

Will rematch if:
- Unknown matchup
- Challenging / Smart player
- Fun "all style" matches like Ganon / Falcon dittos, Jiggly Rest duels.

Won't rematch if:
- Laggy
- I'm destroying you, cause it stops being fun at some point.
- Lame rulesets, I can endure a 2 stock 5 min set but GTFO with that 1 stock 3 min or stamina ruleset.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I rematch if there's no lag and my rules of Omega, three stocks and no items are maintained. I'll also let Battlefield stages fly. I duck out if I'm playing against Ganondorf because I am just so sick of playing against him.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
if it are better players and i know i have a chance to win if i try things differently..maybe one rematch but that's all cause otherwise it will become a saltfest and i will begin to play awfully due to the salt >~>

equal players..sometimes, it depends on my mood and the character i am playing as and the opponent's character(s) as well :o

players worst then me..hate to admit it..but..yes sometimes, if i dealt with a small losing streak then it kinda calms me down ^^''

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
I will always rematch unless:

your rules include stamina, items, or stupid stages,

your internet gives me a headache,

the timer is below 6 minutes or stock count is below 3,

you have no intention on playing the game, i. e. you've been running away for 5 minutes and are on your last stock while I still haven't lost one,

you purposefully sd,

or I need to go somewhere.

It's a lot of stuff, but usually these things don't happen, except for lag. Unfortunately, the vast majority of my quickplay and elite losses don't result in the person staying. I can only assume they aren't confident that they can win a second time since it's pretty unlikely that so many people would have something in person demanding their attention. All that said, I usually don't do quickplay/elite anyways. Arenas are infinitely better.

HeraSwellow

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8400-4658-5024
Whenever I lose, I usually rematch unless there is an unbearable amount of lag. The best way to learn is to learn from losing.

Omnos

Smash Cadet
I'll never rematch if:
- there's a bad connection
- their rules aren't similar to mine
- they bm excessively for no reason

I'll always rematch if:
- any other scenario pretty much
It's always good to replay someone in a bo3 at least. Even if you get bodied or vice versa, it's good to get MU experience. Leaving might be a good idea if you're just not having fun and getting salty but trying to learn what you did wrong and where you can improve is important.

It really sucks to lose a close game and your opponent doesn't give you a rematch. I try not to be that guy.

D

Deleted member

If I lose GSP, provided I don't ragequit, I always rematch regardless of ruleset, unless there was lag and/or the player was pro-like. I can't improve if I'm being reminded that I suck. I need confirmation that I don't suck, and fighting people better than me and getting last place in FFAs don't do it for me.

EDIT: Bad teammates in team battle also turn me off from rematching. Practice more before having better people put trust in you. And for pete sake, share stock if you die. It's as simple as pressing A+B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I don't rematch if:
  1. I am severely out skilled. Sorry, but i hate losing even though rematching would be good practice
  2. They use FD. Its an abusive stage for many characters and matchups, hence only 1 FD stage in competitive
  3. They play a degenerate play style
    1. Fully committed projectile camp (you can practice against this every other opponent anyway)
    2. Spam abilities like B + C stick only Ganon's that seem to survive well over 3 mil
  4. They are incredibly bad and just not a challenge at all
  5. Their rule set is anything other than 3 stock BF
  6. Their character is annoying
  7. They are annoying
  8. Basically if anything about the match is annoying which is almost every game

The only times I have rematched are generally when I take a loss that I definitely should not have and want to bring it back on them. Otherwise, my habit is just to always leave and reset. Usually those people leave anyway since they know they should have lost.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Nope.

**** the possibility of rematching into some stupid game mode.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
I only use QP matches warm-ups and when I barely lose a match the opponent will leave. I am a huge risk taker in QP and sometimes gift wrap games. So when i ended up losing because i messed up I never actually got those rematches lol (afraid of the runback no doubt).

On the other hand some people try hard and just play scared half the time. Never approaching or using any defensive options...just running away to the other corner of the stage and try cheese at every turn. Like DK's sB or gaudily projectile strats. It bugs me and bores me. So when I come across people like that I don't rematch. It becomes a test in patience but i literally have nothing on the line so why bother.

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I usually rematch but some things will keep me from rematching regardless how the match ends.

1.If i want to stop playing smash
2.If there was lag
3.If the enemy t-bags (even if i win afterwards)
4.If the the enemy spams 1 move or has a really annoying playstyle that doesn’t help me improve.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, if I lose by mistake and think I'll take them next time or if I want matchup experience.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I've been curious about rematch frequencies online, and want to observe some data. I'm particularly curious to see if there is any difference in rematch frequencies based on either character choice or GSP range. For example, I wonder if players rematch more or less frequently in Elite Smash than they do around average GSP levels, or if players are less likely to rematch certain characters that are higher up on the tier list at higher GSP levels. I'm also curious to see if players who frequently tbag their opponent are more or less likely to receive rematches.

Character - What character are you presenting data for? Feel free to do more than one, but make a separate list of answers for each.
Internet - What kind of internet do you have? In particular, do you use Wifi or a wired connection.
Rules - What ruleset do you choose?
Average GSP - What GSP do you typically queue around on the above character.
Estimate - How frequently do players rematch you when you select "Yes" to a rematch? Repeat rematches don't influence this. I'm talking about after the first match with a player.
Rematch Count Average - On average, if you're selecting "Yes" to a rematch, how many times does the other player reciprocate and continue to rematch you?
Sportsmanship - What kind of conduct do you exhibit? Do you tbag? Do you say things like "Well Played" when you lose a close fight?

Character:
Ridley
Internet:
Google Fiber, 100MB download, 10MB upload, Ethernet connection to my Switch
Rules:
Omega stages, 3 stock, no items, 1v1, max time
Average GSP:
3.3M
Estimate:
70%
Rematch Count Average:
Sportsmanship:
Never tbags, occasionally says positive emotes after a good match.

To explain the above, first reply, when I play Ridley around 3.3M GSP, people rematch me around 70% of the time, and typically stay for an average of 3 additional matches.

For some more open-ended questions,

Do you rematch people when you lose to them? Or do you only rematch after winning.
-I'm more likely to rematch after losses, but almost always do so regardless.
Do you rematch based on the character they are playing as?
-I sometimes won't rematch characters that annoy me, especially if frustrated.
Do you rematch or decide not to based on a player's sportsmanship (t-bagging, etc)
-Usually it's not a factor, but if I'm in a bad mood already I sometimes won't rematch just due to this.

Has anybody noticed they get rematched more frequently when playing certain characters as opposed to others? I've mostly just played one character online so far, so I don't really have any other experience in this regard.

What other reasons do you have for rematching, or not rematching someone online.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I've been curious about rematch frequencies online, and want to observe some data. I'm particularly curious to see if there is any difference in rematch frequencies based on either character choice or GSP range. For example, I wonder if players rematch more or less frequently in Elite Smash than they do around average GSP levels, or if players are less likely to rematch certain characters that are higher up on the tier list at higher GSP levels. I'm also curious to see if players who frequently tbag their opponent are more or less likely to receive rematches.

Character - What character are you presenting data for? Feel free to do more than one, but make a separate list of answers for each.
Internet - What kind of internet do you have? In particular, do you use Wifi or a wired connection.
Rules - What ruleset do you choose?
Average GSP - What GSP do you typically queue around on the above character.
Estimate - How frequently do players rematch you when you select "Yes" to a rematch? Repeat rematches don't influence this. I'm talking about after the first match with a player.
Rematch Count Average - On average, if you're selecting "Yes" to a rematch, how many times does the other player reciprocate and continue to rematch you?
Sportsmanship - What kind of conduct do you exhibit? Do you tbag? Do you say things like "Well Played" when you lose a close fight?

Character:
Ridley
Internet:
Google Fiber, 100MB download, 10MB upload, Ethernet connection to my Switch
Rules:
Omega stages, 3 stock, no items, 1v1, max time
Average GSP:
3.3M
Estimate:
70%
Rematch Count Average:
Sportsmanship:
Never tbags, occasionally says positive emotes after a good match.

To explain the above, first reply, when I play Ridley around 3.3M GSP, people rematch me around 70% of the time, and typically stay for an average of 3 additional matches.

For some more open-ended questions,

Do you rematch people when you lose to them? Or do you only rematch after winning.
-I'm more likely to rematch after losses, but almost always do so regardless.
Do you rematch based on the character they are playing as?
-I sometimes won't rematch characters that annoy me, especially if frustrated.
Do you rematch or decide not to based on a player's sportsmanship (t-bagging, etc)
-Usually it's not a factor, but if I'm in a bad mood already I sometimes won't rematch just due to this.

Has anybody noticed they get rematched more frequently when playing certain characters as opposed to others? I've mostly just played one character online so far, so I don't really have any other experience in this regard.

What other reasons do you have for rematching, or not rematching someone online.
Merged your topic with this discussion pls read forum announcements and stickies before posting thx

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Unless the match is laggy or if I am just tired of playing, I generally rematch my opponents as long as they are down for it.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I usually rematch if the matches were either fair and/or close. I absolutely refuse to rematch against a player who mainly spams projectiles as characters such as the Links, Samuses, or Belmonts. Lag is also a factor in my decision, I tend not to rematch them if it's unbearable.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I won't rematch in these conditions
- I was clearly out of my league (Some Pichu just combo-ed me multiple times and I could barely touch him with my wolf)
- Lag. Anything that makes my inputs come out half a second later is a no go.
- Checking to see if my character got in Elite. Sometimes I'm in it for the elite if I know I'm real close to it.
-Awful rules. Seriously I don't need to lose one stock and find out that was actually the game.
-Tbagging. Gameplay wise I'm not affected for normal reasons except when it doesn't make sense at all. If I'm in a 2 stock lead when I SD and you tbag, that'll be the end of the match right there. Get bodied and that's all you'll get from me.
Otherwise I'd try to rematch for best of 3.

Last edited:

Smokeey

Smash Rookie
To answer your question yes. I always do rematches even if I dominate the opponent ,or the opponent dominates me. Main reason I do this is to honestly just keep getting better and knowing how to adapt going into the rematch. IMO this has helped me grow a lot more in my game play.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Depends on what mode it is and if I had fun. If it's a cheese match free for all pokemon balls only or something crazy like that, nope. Sometimes I might rematch on 1v1 but that really isn't my cup of tea. I know the majority of you here like that mode the most, but I don't care for it. The flat 4glory stage really only favors certain fighters and I just don't care for that.

It also depends on if I have my best fighter or if I am just using a chill fighter. Cause if I go into the match with someone I'm not good at and it's 1v1 4glory-esque I won't rematch. Especially if they're underhanded, spammy, and disrespectful. Because even if I could switch to my best fighter and win it wouldn't be fun.

Also the fact that I can't switch up my fighter gives me little incentive to rematch. Why they thought that was a good idea is beyond me. Even Smash4 and Brawl (which had the worst online) allowed you to change fighters.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
I like to rematch just cause I wanna keep playing. I never really leave he lobby.

I mean, unless of course these follow:

1. I don’t like how the opponent plays
2. I don’t like the ruleset
3. If an opponent is better than me, I do a 2/3 unless I just really like playing them
4. Lag
5. If I don’t get my ruleset after a while.

Ethan Weegee

Smash Cadet
I rarely rematch on co-op, because most of the matches I find are two characters spamming. Then again, I've only played co-op with someone local.
I usually rematch quickplay, unless there is a stutter, noticeable input delay, the ruleset allows items or weird stages (sometimes I rematch these to try for my ruleset), if the opponent spams, or if the opponent is too much above or below my skill level to the point that I don't enjoy the match.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I started collecting some data over the past couple days, during two sessions of play. Here are my stats so far, and I may have overestimated how frequently my opponent elects to rematch, though the sample size here is still quite small. I do still feel that, in general, I get rematched by greater than 50% of the players I encounter, despite the relatively low rematch rate in my current sample set.

The summary is:
I rematched 92.86% of the time.
50% of the time, an opponent would rematch me for a second round after the first.
I encountered 14 total unique players throughout 28 total matches.
The average match count per player was 2.
Of players who rematched, the average number of matches was 3, though this is currently composed of 3 sets of 2, 3 sets of 4, and 1 set of 3 matches.

I'll keep recording and post the results in here as I gather more data.

1552397148987.png

Unisex

Smash Rookie
I always rematch on people who destroy me. Ill fight them all the way until Im out of elite smash, if they let me.
I am that guy who will leave during a close match, with a match up I hate lol

I wish there were more "taunts" that communicated what youd like to do
"Best 2 out of three?" or "Best 3 out of 5?"
"One more round!"

Something like that. Ive had people use the "I can keep going!" Message when I was about to leave, and I stayed because of it.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
If my connection is good and my opponent is good I rematch. I don’t really care about GSP so I’ll rematch people who are close in skill or better than me because that’s how I’ll get better fastest

xzx

Smash Lord
I hate when people do "one-and-done", usually they are the worst players. From my observation those players are the ones that are improving the least.

I always do a minimum of best of three matches since that is the tournament standards. After the first game both players have warmed up and downloaded each other, but maybe not to a full extent yet. That is why I want to keep on fighting. The more matches the better.

Remember, it's better to play 10 matches with a single player (that are around your league) than to play 10 matches with 10 players, 1 match each. (Provided the lag is not an issue.) If you only play one game per player, then you miss out on learning to download and adapt. Those are great skills every top player has.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Then you'd really hate me. If I could switch up my fighter, that'd be different. And if the game would actually give me what I wanted all the time, I'd rematch. I had it set for no items free for all once and it kept giving me cheese matches with trophies only or something like stamina battles with 100%. I very rarely do 1v1 and the only times is when the game sets me up in one or gives up trying to find my preferred rules.

I don't find them too fun. If I come across a cool person, I will rematch. Most times I get someone who just spams or runs to one end and to the other.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Yes. Normally I play someone until he leaves or I have to go to the toilet. I used to almost always rematch untill the opponent leaves in Smash4 but unlike Smash4 SSBU does not allow me enough time to pee between matches. Rematching can make for good practice since it gives the opponent and me time to adapt to each other's playstyle.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Originally, I did, but then I stopped. Now I'm doing Bo3. GSP is a problem in this game because it forces people to focus on their score, not on learning. The only time I won't do Bo3 is if I two- or three-stock the opponent, if the opponent is rude, if it's laggy, if the game doesn't have my preferences. Other than that, I'm working to learn on developing skills with my characters.

Johhny_C_Bad

Smash Rookie
I always rematch, even with bad lag because I've made peace that the online sucks so i just adjust my gameplay. I hate when people don't best-of-3 me lol

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Typically yes. I only don't rematch if 1)I need to get off right away or want to face someone else. Or 2)If I essentially beat my opponent 3-0 and now I just feel like I'm bullying them.
As you might guess the 1st reason pops up more often than the 2nd.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
I almost never rematch.

I would rematch if :
- The game feels really nice (maybe the player is compatible with me, maybe he just isn't being a ****)
- The opponent has an unusual character (I would rematch any decent Rosa or Bowser Junior, but do I really need to to get Wolf experience ?)
- The game was real close and I'd like to take another shot

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Zero put out a couple videos of him playing as Ness and Zelda that blew up, where he didn't rematch and teabagged in every game. I tried quickplay for the first time in god knows how long with a new character shortly after. Guess what's been happening more often? No rematches, teabagging in every game, even if I won. I have no issue with Zero, but I feel like he has the beginnings of a 9-year-old army who copies everything he does.

Ajimu

Smash Cadet
To be fair, that was my experience far before ZeRodid those videos.
Alpharad also did a few videos like that earlier on, abusing one or two moves from some characters. And even if he did it offline, I felt some people took it as quite an inspiration ...

Lunardog15

Smash Cadet
i usually rematch if you: played fair (eg no repetitive cheese kills), came close to wining, or I feel bad for the winning ko that I pulled (when this happens they usually don't rematch anyways)
I don't if you made me angry with the stupid crap that was pulled

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I don't rematch regardless whether I win or lose. It helps prevent me from getting cocky (constantly winning) or salty (constantly losing). If I'm still losing against a myriad of different people, I just get offline. It also doesn't help that even if I wanted to rematch, I'm trapped using the same character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom