• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you prefer old or new break the targets for SSB4?

Dott

Smash Ace
Well, that's the question, do you prefer the different break of targets for every character, or 1 design for all like Brawl?

Personally i prefer the old ones.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I prefered the old ones. Less repetitive. While brawls could let you try different techniques on the same stage using different characters, ultimately in becomes too repetitive doing 5 stages with 35 different characters.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
really, how can you NOT prefer the old?

all of them were character based, so on top of challenging you they also taught you new things to try with characters(like Young Link's walljump, Jigglypuff's rising Pound, etc.).

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I guess I'm somewhere in between. I'd like a Break the Targets stage for each game series represented in the game. A Mario Stage, Zelda Stage, Metroid Stage, etc.
Plus, I'm pretty sure the reason they changed it in Brawl is, well, if you have like 40+ characters, you're going to have to make 40+ break the target stages.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Everyone likes Melee's style of Break the Targets more since let's be real it's just better, but here's the more interesting question. Would you prefer the effort be put into making those kind of high quality BtT stages, or would you rather that work be put into other areas? It's asking them to make a stage per character. Let's say there are 45 characters so the difference between this and Brawl's model is 40 stages. Let's further say that each BtT stage takes 1/8 as much work as a normal stage. That means we could have use the Melee model or use the Brawl model with 5 extra stages for versus mode (divided up between two versions). Who still wants the Melee model when the choice is presented like that?

JediLink

Smash Ace
Everyone likes Melee's style of Break the Targets more since let's be real it's just better, but here's the more interesting question. Would you prefer the effort be put into making those kind of high quality BtT stages, or would you rather that work be put into other areas? It's asking them to make a stage per character. Let's say there are 45 characters so the difference between this and Brawl's model is 40 stages. Let's further say that each BtT stage takes 1/8 as much work as a normal stage. That means we could have use the Melee model or use the Brawl model with 5 extra stages for versus mode (divided up between two versions). Who still wants the Melee model when the choice is presented like that?
Me.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Me. The Melee model is still superior.

If they're putting time and effort into Event Matches and and other stuff, doing it for Break the Targets again won't hurt. Especially since they don't have to worry about putting tons of time into SSE this time around.

Can you honestly say you would enjoy a new Smash game if it only has a simple Classic Mode and it's multiplayer mode but nothing else to do in single player or for the BtT mode to be as empty and unimaginative as Brawl's was?

I certainly can't. It's one of the many aspects of Melee that kept me playing it until I completed everything.

mr.boombastic

Smash Rookie
i LOVED melees break the targets. each character had they're own and it showcased every characters ability's y.links wall jump one for example. it actually made me want to beat that mode with everyone unlike brawls.

also i wish they would bring back the board the platform mode from smash 64 i liked that one too.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
As far as I'm concerned, they can either put the individual StT in again or just forget the StT stages altogether. The crappy StT stages in Brawl added nothing to the game for me, I usually just sd because I couldn't be bothered with them. In Melee it made you learn important movement options for each character, In Brawl it just was a stupid minigame. They better give me a option to turn them off if they going for the Brawl crap again.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Brawl's break the targets were awesome because they implemented items, adding a puzzle factor to break the targets, and if you were fast enough you could get your time posted on the official smash bros website. That being said, it sucked that some characters could obviously never achieve times as fast as some characters.
An idea I've had for the next smash for awhile now is for the smash bros devs to implement a break the target course editor, allowing the community to upload and share target breaking stages. And nintendo could upload its own official target breaking stages once a week/month and have people compete for the fastest times. It would make sense to include an option that limits which characters can compete on the course, but having all the characters availabe could lead to some surprising results like, "Whoah he got a time that fast with DeDeDe!?!" Having all the characters available is like another aspect in the puzzle.
I missed out on some of brawl's online features like uploading stages or trying to compete in the break the targets speed run competition because I didn't have internet at the time, so I hope similar features return in the next installment.

Heres an awesome break the targets montage

All that being said, I wouldn't mind a break the targets tailored to a characters abilities, although I'd suggest that they combine it with board the platforms so ya can learn the limits/potential of the character's jumps AND attacks. Also, some sort of online leaderboard is a must have.

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
How is adding items an improvement? I thought the whole point of break the targets was character mastery. As in you needed to know how to use the character to get a good score instead of any dildo with a fire cracker launcher being able to replicate the same results.

As for the time posting thing, there's no reason they couldn't do that with the Melee version.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I do like the older one but If we had to stick to the new break the targets I definitely wouldn't mind as long as they have more variety than just 5 stages.

EDIT: Also I think at the end they will go more towards the brawl styled BtT moistly because it will probably be much more harsh to make 40+ character specific levels in my honest opinion.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The Melee target maps actually require some sort of mastery of what each individual character can do. They're tailor-made to play off of and test a player's knowledge of the character, which made them stimulating and fun to play. Brawl's boil down to simply picking the best combination of characters and hoping you get a Smart Bomb that can clear multiple targets at once. There's next to no thought put into them, and frankly, because they're so dull, I'd rather not even have Target Smash return if they're just going to continue on with Brawl's model. Resources could be better spent elsewhere. The only way I think that they could justify keeping the Brawl-like maps is if they allowed players to create and share their own.

Otherwise, I'd like Melee maps, or if that's too much to ask for with the larger roster, no Target Smash at all.

D

Deleted member

I prefer it the old way. It made the Break the Targets levels very interesting as they tested a specific character's abilities. Brawl's was bland as it was the same 5 stages all the time.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Old way.

However, I feel like the team won't bring them back since it would require making unique levels for 35 to 45 characters, then again, the removal of cutscenes frees up a lot of disk space, I believe.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The old way without any question.

This alongside other watered down single-player features is a problem I always had with Brawl. I have no idea why they watered it all down. Was it because they had to focus on the SSE?

Morbi

Scavenger
The Brawl stages, just because I am a hipster. I honestly would prefer that that development time go elsewhere, but I doubt that they take that long to develop. The difference is probably negligible.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Why not combine the two? Unique stages for everybody, and anyone can play any of them (with a few helper platforms).
I'd like to see the amount of helper platforms bowser would need to beat Young link's target test

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I think its too much of a burden o developers to create a Break the Targets stage for each character. The 5 stages weren't enough. I'd rather have one for each character like in Melee. But I think that to compromise they should make one stage per franchise.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I think everyone overestimates how hard it was to put break the targets for each character. It was basically copy and paste generic blocks and platforms onto an abstract backround, sometimes add hazards and moving objects/platforms, and add targets. You could make your own in brawl's create a stage, if they let you.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think everyone overestimates how hard it was to put break the targets for each character. It was basically copy and paste generic blocks and platforms onto an abstract backround, sometimes add hazards and moving objects/platforms, and add targets. You could make your own in brawl's create a stage, if they let you.
No. The most difficult part of developing individual "break the targets stages" was target placement. Obviously they had to test the stages to make sure that they were not only doable, but also somewhat difficult. They had to design the stage around the character in question and they had to ensure that they made a few obscure targets that forced you to use a certain move/tool. In the same way that you believe everyone overestimates the difficulty, you are underestimating the difficulty. That being said, some stages, I am certain, were much harder to conceive than others. It is entirely overt that the Brawl system saves development time, we are not sure of the extent, but they clearly decided against this method in Brawl for a reason. I doubt it was because they were feeling lazy either.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
No. The most difficult part of developing individual "break the targets stages" was target placement. Obviously they had to test the stages to make sure that they were not only doable, but also somewhat difficult. They had to design the stage around the character in question and they had to ensure that they made a few obscure targets that forced you to use a certain move/tool. In the same way that you believe everyone overestimates the difficulty, you are underestimating the difficulty. That being said, some stages, I am certain, were much harder to conceive than others. It is entirely overt that the Brawl system saves development time, we are not sure of the extent, but they clearly decided against this method in Brawl for a reason. I doubt it was because they were feeling lazy either.
I should've clarified, The adding of targets and making the stages unique to a certain character were the hardest part of the target test, indeed.

That still does not mean that too much effort was put into them. Some stages just give you an out of reach target or two for your projectile user, or a tiny hole/moving object where you need to be precise on using the projectile,(Mario, ylink, Link.), while other stages just put you in a box with random hazards and targets moving around (luigi,Ganondorf, G&W), then there were the target test stages that were just lazy and put multiple targets next to each other to save time (Kirby, Yoshi, arguably jigglypuff).(imo) The most thought out targets stages were ice climbers, marth's, and mario's. If all stages were styled like those, then targets would certainly take a large chunk of time to make.

Of course, i don't mean to downplay the work put into the target test, i'm just saying that filler targets tests didn't hurt anyone, and their prevalency will be compounded with 40+ chars

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They should either make the "Break the Targets" mini-game in the old way or spend the resources in something else. "Break the Targets" with items in Brawl was absolutely pointless and lame, since the point of the feature, at least to me, was to help mastering unique abilities of each characters. It took me ages to finally finish Link's Break the Target in SSB64, for example, because there is one target that for the longest time I couldn't bring myself to reach. Such thing never happened in Brawl, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Old ones. I thought it was really neat having characters have their own unique break the targets stage. Although I can see why they would repeat Brawl's style with a larger roster.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Definitely the old BTT. The point of the mode was basically the test of a character's individual strengths, abilities, weaknesses, etc and that whole aspect was completely lost when Brawl just used the same five bland courses, all of which corresponding to a difficulty meter, none of them that hard to beat either.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I prefer Melee's Break the Targets more, it especially isn't one-sided when it comes to high scores like in Brawl, because Fox/Falco were the best characters for it.

Top Bottom