• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you play music by ear or with sheets?

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Those of you who have instruments or play them, do you play them by ear or just read sheet music?

As for me, I currently play songs by ear. I'm still learning to read sheet music, so I have to.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I can play by ear, but if there's sheet music available, I'll jump to that, rather than figuring out each note at a time.

MSTK

Smash Cadet
Playing by ear feels a lot more natural, for me. Sheet music feels forced. I'm at the point now where I can usually figure out a whole song as I go along, and it's a lot more flowing that way.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I generally play it on my stereo.
Just kidding.
I am a very sheet oriented kind of guy unfortunately and it takes me great lengths of time to figure a piece out by ear. I am contrasted by my brother who can seemingly play any piece of music (on piano this is) within 10 minutes of hearing it.
It's a great skill.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Depends on my mood.

If I am patient, playing by ear can be a very fun and rewarding activity. It's like solving the ultimate puzzle, and it feels pretty awesome to accomplish it.

But, I can sight read sheet music as well, so...

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, whenever I play music, it's in Guitar Hero. So I guess that's "with sheets".

...the game always fails me when I try to improvise...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
When I'm playing my piano/keyboard I oftentimes play music that I've heard but don't have sheet music for by ear.

But when I'm playing seriously, like my bassoon, or for Class Piano I use sheet music.

I don't have the best aural skills yet, so I only keep playing by ear for non-serious times.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
When I played the saxophone I had to use a sheet but could sometimes pick a few notes out by ear... now I probably couldn't play using either of those methods. ^^;

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I go back and forth. Since I usually can't find game music (cello) I endup playing it by ear. As for classical I definetaly use sheet

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Well, whenever I play music, it's in Guitar Hero. So I guess that's "with sheets".

...the game always fails me when I try to improvise...
Lol on this guys. They really should make a freestyle 'Compose your own Song' Section.

pillsbury552

Smash Apprentice
I usually use sheet music, but I end up memorizing it and making changes by ear. My piano teacher doesn't like it when I do that:chuckle: But I love to play by ear, it's fun.

Rusty Shacklefurd

Smash Lord
South-east of New Zealand, and no, you'll never fi
I'm sort of just learning to play guitar and I don't have any sort of sheet music so I guess I play by ear/memory or something like that. When playing percussion, I learn it by sheet and depending on the length and complexity of it I usually end up playing it by memory shortly after.

Fun Fact: in the 12th grade, a friend of mine was going to perform a song with two other guys in the annual talent show, but the guy playing the trumpet part decided to back out at the last minute. Solution, get me to learn a variation of his part on the marimba the day before the show. I wasn't even in the school band, I just fool around with some of the percussion instruments at lunch for the heck of it.

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
If I'm given the opportunity, I'd take sheet music, AND listen to the song. Especially for classical music. Why? Because it's nearly impossible to figure out the proper dynamics, or decipher the notes in an extremely fast/complex phrases by ear. Similarly, listening to the music helps with understanding the articulations, as well as how to play said complex rhythms.

If I have to choose just one, I'd take sheet music. I just find it easier to play when you have the rhythms, notes, and stylistic info right in front of you.

On the other hand, due to not wanting to blow ten bucks on one song copyright laws, some songs, mainly rock and jazz, I have to learn by ear. Oh well, playing in the school jazz band has its rewards.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I can play by ear sometimes, but I'd much rather have the sheet music. Like Red Hawk One said, listening to the song helps greatly, although I have to keep rewinding it because I miss a certain note, and have to play it before I can move on. I learned the chords to Chrono Trigger- Ruined World by ear, but I think I've put in a slight variation by mistake. Sheet music usually heps me more, though; I can memorize the notes, and if I've heard the song before the timing comes back to me...that's probably why when I'm faced with a new song, I always have to listen to it because I'm not good with timing on sheets at all.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I use tabs and sheet music [music lessons] for guitar. Sheet music is harder for me to read though, I can never seem to play the timing properly without hearing the music first.

Overload

Smash Lord
I haven't played the drums in a long while but I learned a song or two by ear, although I suppose it is easier for the drums than many other instruments.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any instruments at all, but when I hear a melody I usually try, by memory or ear, try to backtrack the song to notes in FL Studio.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
I can do either one, but with sheets I don't feel as free to be creative and make changes

Top Bottom