• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you leave after one battle in For Glory?

Do you?

• Total voters

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Lag is a no no so I a go go.
But I like to stick 2 or 3 matches in if my opponent doesn't fly away after that.

D

Deleted member

Depends if it's one of these scenarios:
  • If the battle is very laggy that I just don't want to fight another round. If it's lag that causes input delay, then I SD immediately and leave.
  • If the opponent is a bit too bad.
  • If I feel as though I am personally not able to fight, I leave after one fight. This happens regardless if I win or lose; I feel bad soon after when this happens.
I mainly do best 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5. Or, I just stick around more to learn match-ups and practice characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilbz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrGilbz
I always stay to be honest. I only said "yeah" because technically I leave when I play someone that makes me lag real hard. So I guess I'm contradicting myself here. I just got smash 4 yesterday, and so far I have many more losses than wins, which doesn't bother me. I love learning new things and staying in the rooms even when I get destroyed by other people. It's always fun for me.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I play the same person until they leave. Only if the opponent is extremely laggy, or beginners, then I'll bounce. there is no reason for noob hunting other than building for glory win rate, which I'm not after, and I'm sure the other person does not get any fun out of it.

I'll play bad matchups for days, because then I'm learning something. and I'll play them with the same character. until I either have to legit go somewhere, eat, or sleep. I agree with some of the people here saying leaving a bad matchup is bad, because if you plan on entering tourneys, you can say bye-bye to any chance of winning.

D

Deleted member

Only if there is bad lag do I quit after one.

If I'm getting my butt whooped, I don't care about my win pct. on FG, I just wanna get better, so I'll stay in to learn (at least until the beatings become too severe.)

If I am playing against someone much worse than me, I use it as an opportunity to practice some things I'm not comfortable or consistent with yet in a low stress situation, and hopefully they can learn some things from me too.

If they taunt constantly and undeservedly, I'll usually try and stick it to 'em once, then I leave. Would rather play with someone who's respectful.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I give people the benefit of the doubt, even if I absolutely destroy them. I only quit after the first match if the lag is terrible or the person purposely kills themselves because I have little tolerance for people who blatantly give up. If someone's not that good, I take a break from my mains and use characters that I'm either experimenting with (to get better with them) or rarely use (to brush up on fundamentals and basic matchup approaches). For example, I would never use :4pacman: or :4charizard: in a serious match because I'm so terrible with them compared to people I regularly use.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I will usually play 3 matches then leave, if my opponent allows that.

If I fight someone who is particularly fun to fight (IE: The match was close, win or lose, and I don't get annoyed by cheap tactics or pen and paper players), then I will stay for as long as they allow. I've gone 20+ games with some people, both of us using various characters and generally having fun

If I body someone though, I'll still go 3 matches with them. Not to boost my record, but to give them a chance to change their character and see if they can adapt. It happens, and you learn from it too as they capitalize on your mistakes. It can also be pretty fun to beat them around like a ping pong ball. I remember one particular :4lucario: player, I read him like a book. I Bair'd him with Sonic from the left side of the stage to the right and nearly out of bounds in the first stock, after beating him to a pulp. He'd barely touched me. He used extreme speed to recovery, and it's like I read his mind or something, but rather than going to guard the ledge, I ran to the far left side of the stage, as I had a feeling he'd go there to escape me as he was fairly defensive after seeing what I could do with Sonic... And that's exactly where he aimed. He swooped down level to the floor, so it looked like he was pretty much flying next to Sonic. I did a pivot grab right at the ledge and caught him as extreme speed ended, finishing him with a BThrow. It was like poetry in motion.

If the lag is absolutely crazy in a match, which isn't often, I'll leave. Without a shadow of a doubt. Playing in laggy games isn't fun.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I don't find any reason to leave after one game unless I'm not having any fun: My opponent is just a newbie/beginner; the lag is bad, like unbearable bad, otherwise I keep playing.

Playing on FG should be aimed to get better, not to keep a prestigious win streak (unless that's your goal for getting better). You should be aiming to play people near/at your level and of course people above it. This is where you can learn from your opponents and polish your skill at reading and punishing or playing safely. Leaving because you may get counterpicked means you cut the cord short in actually experiencing a bad matchup for your character, how will you learn if you don't even play them?

FG is fun learning experience to play a variety of characters, and it should not be a person's goal to win/lose one and done. But rather play people who are decent at the game and can give you competition to learn from.

TheSteveEngine

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSteveEngine
3DS FC
3909-7548-2082
I'll generally leave early if the other person's lag is unbearable. I can tolerate some lag, but if the loading circle shows up or the fight ends up looking like a broken Microsoft PowerPoint slide show, I'm either attempting to beat my opponent as fast as I can offensively, or just SD twice and leave.

That being said, I generally play best of 3. If I fight someone closely skilled or better than me, I'll stick around for several more matches. I try to switch players often to make playing fresh, instead of facing the same person multiple times in a row. I've learned to control my emotions a lot better than I used to a couple of years ago, so I rarely get salty or rage quit, and if I do I usually keep it to myself.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Most of the time I leave after one game against guys who aren't really good and that I know they won't improve nor have a best character.
For example, the Link side tilt spammers, the jigglypuff side B spammers, or the Bowser down B spammers. They are not trying to improve or to have fun, just make their Epenis a little bigger by being able to beat (not sure it actually works tho) people they shouldn't be able to beat.
Or I have to go, or lag or I'm simply not having fun against him overall.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Usually I stay, except when I have no time or when the lag is unbearable.
Reason is, whenever I lose, I wish for a rematch, at least one or a few. And when the other one leaves I get a little bit irritated. So I assume that when the other one also stays after loosing that the other one wants to play a rematch as well. And since I can relate I'm happy to grant this.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I never leave, but I do leave if one of these things will happen (winning or Losing):
* the one I am playing with is only trolling, spam with no end or running away all the time
* the lag is making the game uncontrollable, even with input lag or normal lag
* I really need to go

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I will always try and go for Bo3, so if I win 2 in a row I leave, or if they win 2 in a row I leave, or if I win 1 then they 1 win one the next match is the final. But if I really don't want to play anymore, I won't hesitate to play just 1. If I think a player is the type to switch to a better MU, I'll switch as well, not to a better MU, just to another main to throw them off. It may be strange or be seen as salty to leave after 2 losses, but it teaches you that in a tournament, most of the time you won't get a Bo5, you will be out if you lose 2 games, and I do it so I can learn to adapt faster to a player instead of playing over and over until I gradually adapt to their playstyle.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
I only leave after the first match if there is unbearable lag, or if my opponent rolls me so hard, that I feel like fighting again will only yield the same result.

Otherwise, I try to battle an opponent at least twice.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I only leave after one match if it's lagging or if something comes up irl.

For everyone else I at least give them a best of 3

:006:

Sendubbio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flamjam
I rarely do, even with annoying opponents I try to stick around for at least one more out of courtesy. But lately I’ve been doing it a bit, basically, whenever a match is completely unfun. This can be from lag, spamming the same technique, or just being salty/arrogant/roll-happy, etc… With my main I always ban FD/Omega in a tournament setting, so it sometimes makes FG a more frustrating experience. Sometimes I’m just floating around and my opponent is rolling around all over the stage back and forth and it just makes me lose it. I lose my will to win the match, just take me to the next person already, I don’t want to put in the effort for this. Being angry makes me lose focus, and it’s a problem I’ve never encountered in an actual tournament. Again, the matches I leave are only a minority, but even as someone competitive, I don’t think it necessitates that I HAVE to face the same person multiple times if I don’t enjoy it. I don’t want to turn the game into a soul-sucking experience. (just to note, i’m not talking about bad matchups. It’s not the matchups, it’s the player.)

D

Deleted member

Unless Im battling Pikachu(btw I main Pit who is super weak to pikachu) I stay

Heres How my Battles with Pikachu go
Hes way to fast for pit so he grab pit, shocks him forever until youre at a really high percentage(you cant do anything but stare at pit getting shocked!!!) and then throws you down and electrocutes you with thunder to finish!!!! So annoying.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I usually have at least 2 games with a person before I leave.

Any other circumstances where I leave is when I get rekt really hard or because the other person had a very laggy connection (or just wasn't fun to play with at all i.e roll spammers)

If I vs someone again it most likely means I wanna re-match them real badly because I like there play x)

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
I have similar sentiments as the OP. Since I usually pick WFT and Samus, after I win once the opponent usually picks (insert reflector/ absorber/pocketcharacter here), which is fine because I win again anyway. But it's the worst. The opponents usually just camp to one side and "bait" me to use projectiles, and after they get punched in the face and lose, they always try to taunt me afterwards. Meanwhile, my game didn't get better because I wasted time on them instead of finding real challenges. So I usually block them so I never see them again.

However, I always stick around after challenging fights. I love intense battles that really test my skills. They really improve my game.

TL;DR: I block scrubs after one fight and stay for people who are actually competition.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have similar sentiments as the OP. Since I usually pick WFT and Samus, after I win once the opponent usually picks (insert reflector/ absorber/pocketcharacter here), which is fine because I win again anyway. But it's the worst. The opponents usually just camp to one side and "bait" me to use projectiles, and after they get punched in the face and lose, they always try to taunt me afterwards. Meanwhile, my game didn't get better because I wasted time on them instead of finding real challenges. So I usually block them so I never see them again.
It's always Falco. Always. Then they do nothing but reflect, laser, roll, and spam smash attacks.

These people give me a headache.

D

Deleted member 269706

The only time I ever leave after the first match is if the match is laggy, or I'm going against some troll who times out the character select screen. Other than that I will play pretty much until the other person drops.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
oohh so the op is one of "those" people.

at least play best of 3 against people. You realize you essentially fall into the category of one of the most annoying type of players to people on for glory right op? you win one match that might of been either really close and/or your opponent might not of even been using a character they normally use, so they switch to their main(s) cuz they want to have a decent match next time, only to find their opponent chickened out after one win.

No one likes the player who leaves after just one match, regardless of whether that player won or lost, at least go best of 3 against an opponent. All it does by leaving after one win is essentially tell opponents you're scared of possibly losing.

The *only* time I'll leave from just one match is if extreme lag happens, I'll even tolerate moderate lag spikes for at least 2-3 matches against an opponent. Only when its extremely laggy will I call it quits after a single match.
About 90% of the time I will stay.

Then there's that 10% of the time when for some reason I just do not like playing with you and I will leave after one match.

If people constantly leave on you after one match, then there's probably a common denominator that lies within yourself. My win rate is about 75% after almost a thousand games. I'm not afraid to tank a meaningless statistic, and I do not care to boost it either.

Last edited:

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
I only leave if theres lag or a GIGANTIC skill difference between me and my opponent. Otherwise I would be happy to stay and play a few matches before moving on to someone else

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I only leave on three conditions:

- connection is laggy
- opponent doesn't put up a fight
- opponent plays very scrubbily (spam, little mac)

Otherwise I'm happy to play a single opponent for the entire session.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I didn't say I fear losses. I said the i prefer fighting more people than battles.
Okay, so this is a little pedantic, but technically it's impossible to fight more people than battles...

Anyway, to actually answer your original question, I basically only leave if I'm absolutely destroying my competition. Like a couple two-stocks in a row or something. Other than that, I'll keep playing. This includes if I'm the one getting bodied. I'll stick around. Always fun to try to learn and maybe get at least one KO on a guy who's totally destroying me.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
I have a child in the house that I help watch over, so I rarely have the chance to fight two rounds back to back.

Pepto_Bismol

Smash Rookie
I usually follow the best 2 out of 3 philosophy unless there are massive amounts of lag involved.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I leave right away if:
- I felt the match was too easy
- too laggy
- my opponent has an annoying fighting style
- I'm simply tired of fighting the same characters all the time

So basically, quite often. I will stay if my opponent is really good or we're nearly evenly matched.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
Bo3, unless super laggy, spammy, or just too easy. If they are really good then I stay until they leave because back and forth fights are amazing. If I get bodied then I stay in an attempt to get better. If they try to ditto me match 2 (and they are really bad at Villager aka the character I am usually ditto'd for, and just spam Trees 25/8/367 and basically give them to me to pocket as soon as I walk near them) I will stay until I make them cry. If they go as a character with a reflector match 2 and just spam reflector the whole fight I leave.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
I used to just play until I won, then quit. Now, I usually play until the opponent quits or is being unsportsmanlike. Sometimes I just leave to do other stuff if I get tired of FG. Sometimes I even quit FG to Spectate some matches.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I play best out of three. If you play only one at a time, you become dependent on confusing someone once and moving on. I play best out of three, because in an actual tournament setting, I want to know how to adapt to my enemies styles and how to mix up my own attack plan.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I'll leave if:

1. You're bad. I can't learn from you if you aren't too great. I know it sounds mean, but I get my enjoyment out of playing good people.

2. Lag like what 90% of everyone else in this thread is saying.

3. Something else came up.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I only really do more than one match if I find someone who's pretty good. I typically don't do more than one match if there's a skill gap, lag from Mars or they played in a really annoying way.

Last edited:

Luniit

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emojavel
I enjoy playing people that are better then me so that i feel a certain level of accomplishment even if i only get one stock from them, i have left in for glory one time ever and it was in 2v2 vs pacman glitch. :(

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
If possible, I try to play a combination of Best of Three, Best of Five, and First to Five. Short sets teach me how to quickly get a read on my opponent and exploit it as much as I can, while long sets help to increase the amount of tools I have at my disposal so I'm able to continue being a threat to my opponent even if they adapt to my original playstyle.

I'll leave a Best of Three or Five if my opponent just isn't fun to play against. On the other hand, the only time that I ever stop playing a long set partway through is when it is clear that my opponent has completely run out of things to throw at me and it has stopped being a challenge to defeat them.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Depends.
If I felt like the opponent and I are evenly matched, I'll usually go another battle or two.
If someone beats me really badly, I refuse to stop until I win.

However, if I won, but the battle was very frustrating (projectile spam, etc), I'll usually leave. I don't need to put up with that.
And sometimes I just gotta go, no way around it.

Top Bottom