• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you leave after one battle in For Glory?

Do you?

• Total voters

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I do.

When I win a battle, my opponent will either switch to a bad MU for my character, pick Diddy Kong, or start spamming dodge. Usually all three... That's why I leave after one battle, I prefer fighting more people than battles.

When I lose. If it was a close-match, I rematch them. If I get two-stocked. I leave, because I know that the opponent will farm on my losses to raise his win rates, or call me a noob. Usually both...

The only time I stay is when my opponent uses Mega Man. Then I pick Mega Man and we have a ditto battle.

I find Mega Man dittos fun.

EDIT: Not anymore. Switched to Smash Ladder, which is stupidly better than For Glory.

Last edited:

Rinkario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rinkario253
3DS FC
3780-9024-1899
I don't honestly. Win or lose I stay in a room until I get into the never ending chain of people that like to leave before one match. Since I couldn't care any less about my win rate, will usually stay when someone utterly destroys me. That's when I start learning and analyzing a couple of matches.

WinterKirby

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1947 5087 1303
If I win, I always stay if the opponent does. I don't know s**t about MUs so it doesn't matter, and I usually win again anyway. Unless they switch to Mario, Dr. Mario, or Luigi. Then I get bodied because those characters are more of a pain in the ass than Diddy.

If I win with Ganon, I'm always sticking around. Bonus if they switch to Ganon.

If I lose, then I stay to find see if I can't win again, and then continue to try to figure out why I can't win.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
If I win, I always stay if the opponent does. I don't know s**t about MUs so it doesn't matter, and I usually win again anyway. Unless they switch to Mario, Dr. Mario, or Luigi. Then I get bodied because those characters are more of a pain in the *** than Diddy.

If I win with Ganon, I'm always sticking around. Bonus if they switch to Ganon.

If I lose, then I stay to find see if I can't win again, and then continue to try to figure out why I can't win.
If I get rekt, then I save the replay to analyze my mistakes.

You know what they say: Learn from your mistakes.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It depends. If the opponent was not fun to fight (kept rolling, kept spamming, or was really easy) then I'll usually leave. I'll also leave if they keep completely destroying me since it'll just keep happening. Aside from all of that, I'll usually play about 2-3 matches and then leave.

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
I usually FG only to lerarn characters against real preople, but rarely use my mains. When someone good shows up, I switch to one of my mains to have a real match. I hate people that leave after one won match, because I didn't get to use my main, and that leaves me salty. Like Sari, If the opponent was not fun to fight (kept rolling, kept spamming, or was really easy) then I'll usually leave. But on the contrary, I never have as much fun as in the matches I get my ass handed to me, because I learn so much.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Depends, usually I stay for best 2 out of 3 as long as they aren't super annoying like when Toon Links spam 3 billion objects (call it spacing or pressure if you want, it's still spam). I honestly don't find a lot of REALLY good Diddy's so if I do find one I will stay because it's great practice. I'll usually leave after 1 game if my opponent plays Mac, not a hard MU just really annoying and boring, unless I completely destroy them because they'll typically switch. If there's a decent amount of lag then I'll leave after 1, if there's impute lag anything longer than like half a second I'll most likely just SD and leave. I will always stay if you're fun to play against.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I usually will stay for a few games to see if I can make adjustments if I lose and see if I can hold leads if I win. Leaving after one game depends on either my opponent is trash talking me (changing their tag to "scrub" or "loser"), the amount of lag in our match, or whether or not they play sonic.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
No. I usually play until the other guy leaves or when there's input lag. Input lag is the worst....

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
It truly depends on the MU and the amount of lag. I also sometimes leave after the first match if my opponent is scary good and I really have no chance of winning

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
If the Connection is bad or the opponent isn't very good,I'm one and done.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I only leave after one battle if the input lag keeps getting in the way. Other than that, I stay for at least three more battles and then move forward.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Same as a few others, ill stay till I notice lag, after x2 lag games I leave the room to search for another

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Very, very seldom. I'll usually stick around for two at least.

I'll only leave after one match in exceptional circumstances, e.g. my opponent is a sore loser or purposely SD's without provocation.

link2702

Smash Champion
oohh so the op is one of "those" people.

at least play best of 3 against people. You realize you essentially fall into the category of one of the most annoying type of players to people on for glory right op? you win one match that might of been either really close and/or your opponent might not of even been using a character they normally use, so they switch to their main(s) cuz they want to have a decent match next time, only to find their opponent chickened out after one win.

No one likes the player who leaves after just one match, regardless of whether that player won or lost, at least go best of 3 against an opponent. All it does by leaving after one win is essentially tell opponents you're scared of possibly losing.

The *only* time I'll leave from just one match is if extreme lag happens, I'll even tolerate moderate lag spikes for at least 2-3 matches against an opponent. Only when its extremely laggy will I call it quits after a single match.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I do...

You know, when I start a match, realize there's something else I want to do, but figure I can at least get one match in before I go.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Usually I stay around, but if I'm getting slaughtered to a point where it's not fun for me, I change my tag to "Sorry!" and leave because I feel like I'm wasting their time. I don't have anything against gem, I just know that they're way too good for me. I also leave if there's an insane amount of lag, because that's not really worth sticking it out.

Other than that, there really aren't any characters or MU that make me leave quick, usually depends on their attitude. I actually enjoy Little Macs on For Glory, because lol :4villagerf: B-Throw/ Aerials for days~

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
It depends on whether or not I had fun playing them and if I have time to continue.

If I had fun and I have time to play some more games, then I'll stay. Simple as that.

If I found my opponent pointlessly frustrating and/or boring, or something happened that required my attention, then I'll leave. There's no point in playing with somebody that is taking the fun out of your favorite game. Also, if the match was particularly laggy, I'll also leave, regardless of what I think of my opponent.

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
Yeah, on some circumstances. Severe lag/input lag, though sometimes I'll stick around if it's not that bad to see if the connection will even out next match.

After a single match with a Diddy player. Win or Lose, I just dip.

Getting completely BODIED the first match, like when it's so bad, I couldn't hit my opponent once. People say you learn from fighting people like this, but I don't take my chances. Guys like this usually start mocking me after 4 or 5 matches.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I used to. Now I'll more commonly stick around for 2 or 3 unless they are insanely easy to beat or laggy.

at least play best of 3 against people. You realize you essentially fall into the category of one of the most annoying type of players to people on for glory right op? you win one match that might of been either really close and/or your opponent might not of even been using a character they normally use, so they switch to their main(s) cuz they want to have a decent match next time, only to find their opponent chickened out after one win.

No one likes the player who leaves after just one match, regardless of whether that player won or lost, at least go best of 3 against an opponent. All it does by leaving after one win is essentially tell opponents you're scared of possibly losing.
Everyone has their reasons for leaving, whether it be after one match or one-hundred. I used to leave after one match because I was trying to get as much experience against as many different playstyles as possible. Now that I'm comfortable playing against most of the cast, I'll stick around for a few if they're fun and/or challenging.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I do.

When I win a battle, my opponent will either switch to a bad MU for my character, pick Diddy Kong, or start spamming dodge. Usually all three... That's why I leave after one battle, I prefer fighting more people than battles.

When I lose. If it was a close-match, I rematch them. If I get two-stocked. I leave, because I know that the opponent will farm on my losses to raise his win rates, or call me a noob. Usually both...

The only time I stay is when my opponent uses Mega Man. Then I pick Mega Man and we have a ditto battle.

Are you playing to win, or playing to get better?
Leaving just cuz your opponent may counter pick seems a bit counter intuitive to you learning how to deal with your bad matchups.
Honestly, win rates don't mean anything. They don't really show how skilled you are, simply because it is so easy to manipulate and because For Glory is so limited.

I myself always go at least best out of 3 with opponents... unless it's super laggy, in which case I will change my name and let them know I'm not sticking around.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Typically I'll play Bo3

I fudge my rules a bit to Bo5 if they play a character I don't have much experience against (Meta Knight, Falco, Wario, etc)

If the connection's bad I stop after one

If the connection's good and my opponent is good I'm content to play till they leave.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
It depends. I always stay if I lose or I feel like they still offer something that I can learn from or with. Otherwise I leave, since I don't want to farm easy wins.

Xanthous

Smash Cadet
I always play Bo3 unless my opponent is fun/puts up a good fight, which in that case I'll stay until they leave. I only leave after one battle if they are very laggy or unfun to fight (like projectile spamming Links and noob Little Macs).

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Are you playing to win, or playing to get better?
Leaving just cuz your opponent may counter pick seems a bit counter intuitive to you learning how to deal with your bad matchups.
Honestly, win rates don't mean anything. They don't really show how skilled you are, simply because it is so easy to manipulate and because For Glory is so limited.

I myself always go at least best out of 3 with opponents... unless it's super laggy, in which case I will change my name and let them know I'm not sticking around.
Playing to get better obviously.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea

The *only* time I'll leave from just one match is if extreme lag happens, I'll even tolerate moderate lag spikes for at least 2-3 matches against an opponent. Only when its extremely laggy will I call it quits after a single match.
Oh i'm sorry.

I guess you didn't read the fact that i prefer fighting more people than battles, but your opinion is TOTALLY correct!

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I do.

You are setting yourself up to be a terrible smash player. Don't fear losses, it's the only way you're gonna get better. You can never improve if you run from opponents you don't want to face. If you don't want to play competitively than that's fine, have fun with it. But if you ever plan on trying out a tournament you're going to get crushed if you purposely avoided playing an opponent more than once throughout all your matches. Learning to beat counter picks is a huge part of competitive smash.

link2702

Smash Champion
Oh i'm sorry.

I guess you didn't read the fact that i prefer fighting more people than battles, but your opinion is TOTALLY correct!
indeed it is, best you remember it.

Be prepared to be hated by the majority of players you encounter then, and like someone else said, you're just setting yourself up to be a lousy smash player in the long run, completely incapable of handling a counterpick. You're not really going to get any better or get more experience that way and you'll be roflstomped the instant you enter a real tournament as you've spent all your time avoiding to get better.

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You are setting yourself up to be a terrible smash player. Don't fear losses, it's the only way you're gonna get better. You can never improve if you run from opponents you don't want to face. If you don't want to play competitively than that's fine, have fun with it. But if you ever plan on trying out a tournament you're going to get crushed if you purposely avoided playing an opponent more than once throughout all your matches. Learning to beat counter picks is a huge part of competitive smash.
I didn't say I fear losses. I said the i prefer fighting more people than battles.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
indeed it is, best you remember it.

Be prepared to be hated by the majority of players you encounter then, and like someone else said, you're just setting yourself up to be a lousy smash player in the long run, completely incapable of handling a counterpick. You're not really going to get any better or get more experience that way and you'll be roflstomped the instant you enter a real tournament as you've spent all your time avoiding to get better.
Wouldn't fighting a different player with a counterpick of my character be the same of what you described?

link2702

Smash Champion
Wouldn't fighting a different player with a counterpick of my character be the same of what you described?
considering the next player is going to be completely random in skill level(important) and the character they pick may... OR may NOT be a counterpick to your character...no its not the same. You'll get far less experience the way you're going, and you also aren't going to learn how to adapt if your opponent figures out your playstyle after game one.

in the long run, you're only hurting yourself. And building a bad reputation at the same time.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
considering the next player is going to be completely random in skill level(important) and the character they pick may... OR may NOT be a counterpick to your character...no its not the same. You'll get far less experience the way you're going, and you also aren't going to learn how to adapt if your opponent figures out your playstyle after game one.

in the long run, you're only hurting yourself. And building a bad reputation at the same time.
Ugh, I am so not in the mood to argue right now...

Alright look, since there is people out there that crucifies people who leave one match. I'll stop doing it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yep, and I'm not ashamed whatsoever. Only exception is if I either really enjoyed the match, or if the match ended in an SD from either party.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say I fear losses. I said the i prefer fighting more people than battles.
"If i get 2 stocked, i leave"

Alls i'm saying is that if you plan on getting better at smash, learn to lose and comeback, rather than quitting. because you'll never get better if you only play people under very specific parameters. At least if you plan on going to a tournament most games are best 2 of 3 and you'll have no idea how to deal with counterpicks or pick up on your opponents habits. It is completely inconsequential to me if you're the type of person who stays or quits in a match, really doesn't effect me at all. But if you're trying to get better, you're going about it all wrong.

Top Bottom