• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you consider gamers who use Player Guides noobs?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
An interesting opinionated question. It can vary between game to game.
Definatley, if someone buys one, I would consider them a noob (They have it on specific websites for free).
For a game like Brawl and those with a lot of unlockables and secrets, I might not.
Discuss!

Would you buy this?

QueTee

Smash Apprentice
I can see buying a guide for a complex game for the detailed maps, but Brawl doesn't have a very complex single-player mode. All unlockables/secrets can be described in text.

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
If you need a guide to brawl your a noob, I might understand if it was for Zelda, but even then guides should only be used if you only have a little time to play a game.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I needed a players guide for the **** water temple

Ricard_the_dragoon

Smash Apprentice
You know, player guides have more uses than just helping you through a game, I still have the old Melee guide that I look at when I'm bored and Can't play the game itself (places like school, in a vehicle, while someone else is playing something)

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I'd buy a guide simply for the artwork :p

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Brawl a Smash Bros game (just an example, there are plenty of others), yes. For other games and genres, no.

It depends on the specific game, I don't see how Brawl really warrants a guide, since everything is easy to unlock in general and it will all be on the Dojo anyway. Heck, the dojo will be a strategy guide once it's finished...

Magnacor

Smash Ace
I would say "No" due to the large amount of unlockables in Brawl, but they tell you where to find each and every one. You definitely shouldn't need one for single player mode. But for other games with hidden unlockables or complex levels then definitely no.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Brawl a Smash Bros game (just an example, there are plenty of others), yes. For other games and genres, no.

It depends on the specific game, I don't see how Brawl really warrants a guide, since everything is easy to unlock in general and it will all be on the Dojo anyway. Heck, the dojo will be a strategy guide once it's finished...
Yes. If you need to find something specific (ex. specific bonuses in Melee to get the Diskun trophy), then go online and find a walkthrough on Cheatcodes or somewhere. I'd find a better purpose for my $15.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Water Temple is one of my favorite temples o.o

alexer34

Smash Cadet
Well i find this to be offensive. I am getting the guide as a handy resource while i am playing. This does NOT make me a noob.:ohwell:

Kr3w

Smash Journeyman
I'm buying it for Brawl, to unlock all the characters, stages, cd's, and everything else. And it's just nice to have
But' still I also have the guide for Oblivion, but it's for secret things and quests too.
My point being, no, guides aren't just for noobs.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I'll also go on the record of saying I have not owned very many strategy guides at all, and most of the guides I have owned were not even purchased by me.

Smash 64 guide - Parents got it for me without me asking, after I got SSB64.
Super Mario RPG - Friend gave it to me after he sold his copy of the game (WHY DO YOU SELL THAT GAME??)
LOZ: LttP - Same friend, I asked to look at it for one part of the game, he ended up letting me keep it. It was pretty thick too if I remember right...
Metroid Prime - Bought it myself to get 100% completion.
Metroid Prime 2 - See above.
Diablo II - Came with the battle chest thing I bought. It's very useful though.

I usually use online guides if I need help with one specific part of a game though. I won't spend $15 or so to get help in one single place...

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
yeah, you almost have to have the guide for oblivion to understand whats going on with everything. I buy guides for games that I get attached to and want them just to flip through. But I generally like to try to figure things out myself when I play through the first time.

J18

Smash Journeyman
well no to answer your question.
i personally am not going to buy one with the amount of stuff on the internet

Superninjabreadman

Smash Lord
Playing the game right out of the guide = Noob.

Playing the game and using the guide when you get stuck and try for hours = Fine by me.

You dont really need a guide for games like SSB, buts its good for trophy lists, how to unlock chars, stuff like that.

Just dont play your games right out of the guide, you'll miss all the fun of it.

AustiniusRex

Smash Journeyman
Temporary. Soon to be replaced by a zombie-proof
I ordered the guide for several reasons. 1) Because I like having guides for my favorites games even though I usually only glance at them. 2) I want to unlock literally everything. 3)I'll have an edge over my friends with in the first 2 days if I read through it. 4) It's bound to suggest a few creative level ideas for stage builder. 5) It'll be fun to look at. Lastly, I plan on getting 100 percent completion on SSE and I don't see any reason to make myself struggle.

Starscream

Smash Ace
Only use guides if are truly 100% stuck and don't know what to do. OR if you want aim for 100% completion in a large game but simply do not have the time to scour the virtual world aimlessly to realize the thing you were looking for is hiding in, oh I dunno, a tree or something.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
I have only ever bought TWO game guides.

One - For Shadows of the Empire. Because it came with the game. lol.

The other - For the Kings Quest series, only AFTER I had beaten them.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Of course not. Why would people who use guides be n00bs?? The guide is just a resource that gives you insight into a game. What a minute, that description sounds very similar to... THIS SITE! Yes, every thread you read about techniques and moves is also a "guide." So I guess we're all noobs.

Top Bottom