• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you consider gamers who use Player Guides noobs?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Of course not. Why would people who use guides be n00bs?? The guide is just a resource that gives you insight into a game. What a minute, that description sounds very similar to... THIS SITE! Yes, every thread you read about techniques and moves is also a "guide." So I guess we're all noobs.
I guess if someone relies on the guide too much or for everything, then yes.
I got a chuckle out of this. Maybe, just maybe, we're all noobs. Nay. *continues to worry in head*

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
Noob no lol Gaming mags suck for example a gaming mag of ssbm would say stuff like an easy way to ko is to hit Left/Right and A at the same time to smash your opponent really far. People who read these just get screwed up and get cocky.

willtheshadow

Smash Cadet
i didnt buy a guide for any zelda game and i completed them alll without any help. Twilight princess the only thing i never found was the last 3 reaper spirits. That said Im buying the brawl guide just so I can have all attacks and damage percents listed in front of me, and available instantly.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
I first thought the thread was talking about character-specific online guides. I use those to find out what the good combos are for a character (in melee). I've never used the book guides (but the pictures are pretty like previously said) but I wouldn't call someone a noob for using it.

Mule50

Smash Cadet
I generally don't get guides and I kinda look down on people who buy games but at the same times I realize that not everyone obsesses quite like I do over things.

Suoinegni

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't care if someone buys a strategy guide or not. I'm actually glad when people I know buy them, so I can borrow them so I don't have to run all the way to the other side of the house to look something up on a game I'm trying to get 100% completion on.

I generally buy guides for the artwork inside. I like pretty pictures. Any other guides I have that I didn't buy myself are hand-me-downs and I keep them for the artwork as well.

charlie1

Smash Rookie
I'm only getting the guide for the artwork, who knows maybe it'll be useful to my friends when they want to play, you know, so they know some techniques to use.( at least i assume that there are a list of techniques to use?)

Zarckoh

Smash Apprentice
Not really, I would actually buy a guide just for the artwork but I just don't see someone that really needs help with this game, specially now that there are new features that let you get the unlockables easier. Still that doesn't make them noobs considering that a lot of people want to get these in the fastest way.

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
I think it's only nooby if someone uses it for their first time through the game. I think it is okay if one is stuck at a specific part, if one wants to find the location of unlockables, or for general tips.

Luteyi

Smash Apprentice
No , not at all. If they need help from a guide, then let em knock themselves out. I just usually don't use guides seeing as the internet usually provides better information than guides do and is free.

Rager

Smash Rookie
I think first of all guides wreck games. Why use something that gives away a story or secrets. I mean I know that Brawl will prolly not have a story line really, but my point stands. Using guides wreck games!

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
There are certain games where the guide is critical to the experience, particularly on 2nd+ playthroughs. This is because there are secrets or paths that are so obscure or hidden that no reasonable person would ever find them.

I imagine that kind of thing is limited to RPGs though.

lazychi

Smash Cadet
i dont think its required because you can find most of the info in the guide and more around the internet. But some people rather have visual aid and because of that, they may perfer the guides. Personally i have no problems with someone buying the guide and i dont really consider them a noob. Mainly because, they might simply want to unlock everything in the game and do so with visual aid.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I consider guide books to be for collectible purpose only nowadays. I'm not interested, but some people like having them just because.

I don't know why anyone would actually NEED one though.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Well, lots of people buy guides more as collector's items instead of because they really need them. Back when my best friend and I were 15, he collected guides even though he was insanely good at games like goldeneye and stuff. Back when he played super metroid, he used grid paper and made his own world map...

Grandeza

Smash Master
I wouldn't call them noobs...No thats not the word because Grandeza uses guides and i know he is not a noob..
This is coming from the guy who thinks koopa is a playable character in ssbm.Wtf are you talking about, I never used a game guide in my life. However I know you have a game guide for super smash bros. melee. Why do you act like a horses a$s to make yourself feel better? It makes no sense.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
My friend is getting the book, and I keep telling him "Look on the internet if you need help." And he always ignores me. He is buying the guide and he doesn't even know if the game is hard or not.

Oh, and you know what I find funny? I beat Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time before melee came out, and I couldn't even read then. I find it very confusing to this day on how I could do it. I beat the water temple so fast I don't even remember what it is now. I never used a guide. Same thing with melee. I could beat 3 lvl9 CPUs without a problem when I was like 7 or 8. Now I feel stupid because I find it very hard to beat a level 9 CPU. The only game I had trouble with was Majora's Mask. I kept dying because I couldn't read and I didn't know I had to find those stupid kids in the beginning.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Ill probably end up buying it because im addicted to smash and it would be awesome to have a little poster or something. Definitely wouldnt use it for the guide though.

Mo28

Smash Rookie
nah its a waste of money for any game. if u get stuck on a game theres nothing u cant find on the online guides and those are free!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
People still use the word noob? =/

If Prima makes a hardcover wet my pants amazing looking guide like they did for Zelda, I'd look into it just because of how much of a fanboy I am for this series. These guides usually have really good checklists for unlockables, so that's something I might look into.

Top Bottom