• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the "Trophy Quiz" segments hint at new fighters? (Chrom, Ghirahim, Palutena, and Ridley)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
The smash bros direct earlier this week was pretty amazing and concise with its information all around...except for those strange "Trophy quiz" interludes that popped up every now and then. They kind of seemed like silly filler...

...UNLESS you look at them as Sakurai slyly hinting at new fighters. The new fighter would be coming from the game the trophy was featured in. Check out the trophies that get highlighted:

GAME- Fire Emblem: Awakening
HINTED CHARACTER- Chrom?
ANOTHER POSSIBILITY- Lucina?

GAME- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
HINTED CHARACTER- Ghirahim?
ANOTHER POSSIBILITY- Demise?

GAME- Kid Icarus: Uprising
HINTED CHARACTER- Palutena?
ANOTHER POSSIBILITY- Magnus?

GAME- Metroid: Other M
HINTED CHARACTER- Ridley?
ANOTHER POSSIBILITY- Can't really think of any other Metroid representative it could be

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah I don't understand why this theory has gained so much traction... All of those franchises already have fighter representation in Smash, and 3/4 have fighters confirmed for this game already. At that point, how isn't everything related to these franchises a "hint?"

Only one I think tells us anything is Palutena specifically not being shown as a trophy, and that's still only truly legitimized by Pit's new Final Smash.

vydran212

Smash Journeyman
Definitely true that this is just a theory, but it's based on the idea that, UNLESS Sakurai was hinting at future fighters, the "Trophy Quiz" sections were completely pointless filler.

In a Nintendo Direct dedicated to obtaining information on a highly popular game, I find creating silly trophy sections, just to have silly trophy sections, hard to believe.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's hard to say. On one hand, it did feel a bit out of place. It could hint at something, although it may not even be characters.

On the other hand, us Smash Fans have a way of running wild with every bit of speculation and I'm worried that I'm just slightly buying into it when it's nothing.

I mean if it doesn't mean anything then it's weird and pointless, but then again, when has Sakurai NOT done something weird and pointless?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I highly doubt it means anything, really.
Yeah I don't understand why this theory has gained so much traction... All of those franchises already have fighter representation in Smash, and 3/4 have fighters confirmed for this game already. At that point, how isn't everything related to these franchises a "hint?"

Only one I think tells us anything is Palutena specifically not being shown as a trophy, and that's still only truly legitimized by Pit's new Final Smash.
3/4? Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem all have characters confirmed so far (Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Marth).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Another Possibility for Tiki might be for the only other character in Awakening she could talk with

Anna

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I highly doubt it means anything, really.

3/4? Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem all have characters confirmed so far (Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, and Marth).
Haha, this is embarrassing as a Marth main but I think I skipped over Fire Emblem. We rarely see him, and I think somehow in my mind I stopped thinking of him as an FE character.

So yeah, 4/4.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Haha, this is embarrassing as a Marth main but I think I skipped over Fire Emblem. We rarely see him, and I think somehow in my mind I stopped thinking of him as an FE character.

So yeah, 4/4.
You should look at your signature more often. :p

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I am not surprised BluePikmin liked your post. LMAO :chuckle:
His liking my post is a simple indicator that I am in league with him in his inevitable conquest of the forums.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Only one that probably really means much is Pseudo-Palutena because of the fakeout.

I imagine King KiHunter was shown before Smash Run because KiHunters are enemies in the game mode.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The song that played when tiki was shown was Id (purpose). The "Id" songs are attributed to Robin. ;p

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm not sure if they're hints, but there are other hint possibilities.

Well, if Tiki relates to any Fire Emblem character...
It would be Anna or Marth.
If you don't know her close connection to Anna or Marth, look it up.
However, Chrom & Lucina are the main characters of the game that design of Tiki is from.
And music associated with Robin played during the showing of the trophy.

For Fi, it's definitely Ghirahim. They relate to each other.
Fi is to Link as Ghirahim is to Demise.
Fi doesn't directly relate to Demise, I just can't see that. Only Ghirahim.

Pseudo-Palutena relates to Palutena and Only Palutena. Nobody else.
Don't even push Magnus on there just for consistency, he's not even the 2nd most likely KI newcomer, Medusa is.
Just take off the "Another Possibility" for that altogether.

I don't know much about Kihunter.
All I know is that if Ridley isn't playable, nobody else from Metroid will be, which has been made especially obvious now that Dark Samus is deconfirmed.

So, here:

Tiki
-Chrom
-Lucina
-Anna
-Robin

Fi
-Ghirahim

Pseudotena

-Palutena

Kihunter
-Ridley

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sakurai, Sakurai, no one should, terrify a character's fanbase.

But Sakurai, just won't be undone, playing pranks on everyone.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a straightforward man. "Will Pit ever fight again?" or (other boss appearances) for Pyrosphere. Has he ever left hints for anything?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sakurai is a straightforward man. "Will Pit ever fight again?" or (other boss appearances) for Pyrosphere. Has he ever left hints for anything?
Plenty of times. The person behind the boxing arena in one of the Zero Suit Samus' pictures. Ridley's model so we can be 100% sure that Ridley won't be joining. Could Isaac be a playable fighters since he did not get revealed as an Assist Trophy during the 4/8 direct. King K. Rool could be a character since the Kremlings appeared in the Smash Run for 3DS mode. Palutena being a confirmed new comer, since she is no longer a part of Pit's Final Smash.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Why is Magnus the other possibility? You'd think Hades or Medusa would have more credentials than he does.

andimidna

Smash Master
Why is Magnus the other possibility? You'd think Hades or Medusa would have more credentials than he does.
Well, they do! :laugh:
1. Pit
2. Palutena
3. Medusa
4. Viridi
5. Hades
6. Magnus

That's how I see KI priorities.

"Pseudo Palutena may hint at Magnus as a playable character"
When you think it thorough, it's even dumber than it orignially sounds! :laugh:
#GetMagnusOutOfMySmashBrothers

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Plenty of times. The person behind the boxing arena in one of the Zero Suit Samus' pictures. Ridley's model so we can be 100% sure that Ridley won't be joining. Could Isaac be a playable fighters since he did not get revealed as an Assist Trophy during the 4/8 direct. King K. Rool could be a character since the Kremlings appeared in the Smash Run for 3DS mode. Palutena being a confirmed new comer, since she is no longer a part of Pit's Final Smash.
Nah... asides from Ridley, which is trolling, those are speculations rather than hints. Pseudo Palutena definitely a "Gotcha!" moment. I'm thinking about actual hints rather than, well, guesses. Sakurai either leaves fans guessing or puts it straight in our face. Hints should be somewhere inbetween, I'd think.

Shroob

Sup?
Or it could hint to Ganondorf gaining a new moveset. I can't see Demise being added when Ganondorf already exists, and I'd rather not have Demise replace Ganondorf tbh.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Given that Sakurai has proven himself a master in the art of trolling yet again with the 4/8 Direct, I have no doubt that the "Trophy Quiz" sections were indeed another way of him dropping hints while simultaneously having a good laugh at us. What could these trophies hint at? Time will tell.... for now, we speculate, and Sakurai laughs himself to sleep every night at our wild guesses.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just saying, if they had shown a Mario character in place of the ones we saw, people wouldn't as readily jumping to this theory.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Guys. Just...seriously. Stop giving these ideas traction before you give yourselves a brain injury from the over thought.

The only one even remotely not "for fun" was Pseudo-tena, because Sakurai was clearly trolling the fans and the leak with that one.

Chrom was likely anyway, but a Metroid and especially Zelda newcomer at this point? Ehhhh.

Come on guys. Theories are getting out of hand here.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Guys. Just...seriously. Stop giving these ideas traction before you give yourselves a brain injury from the over thought.

The only one even remotely not "for fun" was Pseudo-tena, because Sakurai was clearly trolling the fans and the leak with that one.

Chrom was likely anyway, but a Metroid and especially Zelda newcomer at this point? Ehhhh.

Come on guys. Theories are getting out of hand here.
OK, please explain then why the trophy quizzes appeared. To make the Direct longer? It was long enough. Just for setup of the Palutena joke? Well, then it would be the last one shown. To relieve the viewers? Most probably not; even Iwata's Sochi talk wasn't so... out of place. To troll with us? Then, even if the trophies do not carry any meaning, it confirms that they were intended for some sort of interpretation, it just happens to be a fake.

I'm not saying this has to be something, but the opposite isn't true neither.
----
Assuming that it is a fighter hint, though, there is still a question of how much a hint each of the trophies is (radical hyperbole: could Tiki be hinting a DK newcomer?). It's safe to link them to their respective franchises... or games? Are there any differences? Well...
  • Tiki: I'm arguably not qualified to talk about this, but the FE (EDIT: non-veteran) contenders with most visibility are present in Awakening, right? So not much of a change here.
  • Pseudo-Palutena: not much of a change there either, as KI characters not present in KI:U aren't either popular or sensible.
  • King Kihunter: eliminates Prime representation. However Dark Samus was separately deconfirmed as being an AT, and other bounty hunters didn't seem to be considered as serious contenders. Both Ridley and the rest of M:OM cast do fit.
  • Fi: this one actually makes a difference. If we assume that the game matters, this eliminates Tingle and hints, most probably, on the SS villains. If we assume it does not, Tingle is highly probable, what with his AT status not being confirmed by Direct and him not being a one-off.
----
By the way: on the trophy descriptions, why are "the series" followed a dot and game titles not? Is that an English rule I don't know, or just lack of consequence?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
^Ever consider it could have just been for fun? Why did "Who's that Pokemon?" exist in the original Pokemon anime? For fun.

Really, this just felt like a giant "WHO'S THAT POKEMON?!" thing to me.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Well, this particular analogy is interesting. Bulbapedia says:
Early in its run, Who's That Pokémon? would feature a Pokémon who played a major role in that episode. In late Kanto it switched to featuring a Pokémon that played a major role in the following episode, although this wasn't always the case. When Johto League Champions began, Who's That Pokémon? became random, with the Pokémon being featured usually not playing a prominent role in that episode, nor did it indicate a Pokémon being featured in a following episode. Also beginning with that season, the dub added a short hint to the screen to aid in the identification of the Pokémon. When the feature returned in Pokémon: Black & White, it originally featured a Pokémon that played a prominent role in the following episode before quickly switching to a Pokémon with a prominent role in that episode beginning with A Sandile Gusher of Change!.

In the original Japanese version of the show, Who's That Pokémon? was used from EP001 to EP274 and then returned in BW061. In this version, it almost always featured a Pokémon that played a major role in that episode.
So, uh... hm... it wasn't just for fun... well, it was... sometimes? Arrrrrr.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nah... asides from Ridley, which is trolling, those are speculations rather than hints. Pseudo Palutena definitely a "Gotcha!" moment. I'm thinking about actual hints rather than, well, guesses. Sakurai either leaves fans guessing or puts it straight in our face. Hints should be somewhere inbetween, I'd think.
Though Palutena is an almost 100% possibility, according to speculators, she was still hinted to be in the game concerning PIt's Final Smash. Sakurai's hints may not have been many, but he did not flat out say anything about Ridley's placement, just showing his model's shadow.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
People keep suggesting Ghirahim and Demise for Zelda but, realistically speaking, if Zelda's getting another character it's either going to be Tingle or Tetra. Aside from Sheik (who was a part of Princess Zelda for 11 years), the Zelda franchise has never had one off characters as playable. I don't really care for either character but the Zelda franchise has never been like Pokemon or Fire Emblem where the latest major game has been represented with a fighter.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Though Palutena is an almost 100% possibility, according to speculators, she was still hinted to be in the game concerning PIt's Final Smash. Sakurai's hints may not have been many, but he did not flat out say anything about Ridley's placement, just showing his model's shadow.
Can't disagree. Palutena does look likely, although too predictable, which hasn't been the case for half of our newcomers so far.

But I digress; I am more than often wrong about small details like these.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Can't disagree. Palutena does look likely, although too predictable, which hasn't been the case for half of our newcomers so far.

I would say the most unexpected newcomer was Wii Fit Trainer(s).

Little Mac, Megaman, and Villager were overdue.

Rosalina was in SMB3D World and other games if that counts.

Greninja was not expected by many, but not like the Wii Fit Trainer(s).

D

Deleted member

I am personally thinking that this theory is overthinking things.
My main doubt comes from the possibility of a Zelda newcomer; I doubt Ganondorf is going to get cut just so that one can get added.

Groose

Smash Champion
People keep suggesting Ghirahim and Demise for Zelda but, realistically speaking, if Zelda's getting another character it's either going to be Tingle or Tetra. Aside from Sheik (who was a part of Princess Zelda for 11 years), the Zelda franchise has never had one off characters as playable. I don't really care for either character but the Zelda franchise has never been like Pokemon or Fire Emblem where the latest major game has been represented with a fighter.
Ganondorf had just a single appearance at the time of Melee. You could argue that he's the same entity as Ganon, who had four additional appearances, but the fact remains that we'd only seen a human entity once.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
For another metriod possibility, I think Antony Higgs could be added. I don't really want him, but I guess he's a possibility. Meta Ridley could work as well.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
What if these trophies were hinting bosses and not newcomers?

Tiki- Grima
Fi- Ghirahim/Demise
Pseudo Palutena- Hades
Kihunter- Ridley

Megaman and Little Mac were predictable no?

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
OK, please explain then why the trophy quizzes appeared. To make the Direct longer? It was long enough. Just for setup of the Palutena joke? Well, then it would be the last one shown. To relieve the viewers? Most probably not; even Iwata's Sochi talk wasn't so... out of place. To troll with us? Then, even if the trophies do not carry any meaning, it confirms that they were intended for some sort of interpretation, it just happens to be a fake.

I'm not saying this has to be something, but the opposite isn't true neither.
----
Assuming that it is a fighter hint, though, there is still a question of how much a hint each of the trophies is (radical hyperbole: could Tiki be hinting a DK newcomer?). It's safe to link them to their respective franchises... or games? Are there any differences? Well...
  • Tiki: I'm arguably not qualified to talk about this, but the FE (EDIT: non-veteran) contenders with most visibility are present in Awakening, right? So not much of a change here.
  • Pseudo-Palutena: not much of a change there either, as KI characters not present in KI:U aren't either popular or sensible.
  • King Kihunter: eliminates Prime representation. However Dark Samus was separately deconfirmed as being an AT, and other bounty hunters didn't seem to be considered as serious contenders. Both Ridley and the rest of M:OM cast do fit.
  • Fi: this one actually makes a difference. If we assume that the game matters, this eliminates Tingle and hints, most probably, on the SS villains. If we assume it does not, Tingle is highly probable, what with his AT status not being confirmed by Direct and him not being a one-off.
----
By the way: on the trophy descriptions, why are "the series" followed a dot and game titles not? Is that an English rule I don't know, or just lack of consequence?
Do people not know how to do things for fun with no ulterior motives anymore? Come on now.

If there's a Metroid newcomer AND a Zelda newcomer, which I doubt, I'll eat my words, but honestly people. Let Sakurai have some fun sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom