• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the "Trophy Quiz" segments hint at new fighters? (Chrom, Ghirahim, Palutena, and Ridley)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
What if these trophies were hinting bosses and not newcomers?

Tiki- Grima
Fi- Ghirahim/Demise
Pseudo Palutena- Hades
Kihunter- Ridley

Megaman and Little Mac were predictable no?
I think I just died a little. Logical thing to assume, though...

I think the only hint was Palutena, and that was more of a tease then a hint. "Oh man guys, looks like that character KI fans love is out. Psych!"

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
What if these trophies were hinting bosses and not newcomers?
Honestly thought about that possibility too, though I'm not sure about exact choices.

Do people not know how to do things for fun with no ulterior motives anymore? Come on now.
The "for fun" segments of other Directs felt relatively coherent with the rest of footage. These quizzes were not, they felt quite out of place, like an ad or something. (Which is kinda ironic because they were breaking a promotional video.)

----
If anybody wishes to check the trophy quizzes again due to super awesome theory on them needing evidence or something, their timing on UK version of Direct is roughly 7:30, 14:00, 23:20 and 29:50.

EDIT:

OK guys, it is quite possible the trophies are there for absolutely no reason... for us. But to know for sure, we need somebody speaking Japanese well and understanding their sense of humor.

What "what"? I have decided to play Japanese Direct just to see aesthetic differences (I absolutely don't know any Japanese). I did try to catch what I could though. Fi's name happens to be a prefix (beginning) of the subtitle displayed when Sakurai starts talking about ATs. Now normally that would be quite reaching, but he does so immediately afterwards.

And by the way, no, her Japanese name is not Assistantess... I think, as I absolutely don't know any Japanese. From what I saw on Japanese SSBB site, ATs are Assist Figures in Japan, so most probably the subtitle is about that. Assuming that's also the name of regular trophies, this suggests that this quiz led to a pun: here's a figure of Fi. If you, like me, expected Fi to be pronounced like the Greek letter, here's the transcription for you: here's a Fi trophy.

Nuts misunderstanding theory time:
  • All/most of those trophies are jokes. So they're there for humor. Not exactly "for fun".
  • Palutena joke... didn't need translation.
  • Fi joke was a pun and it didn't work as well for a combination of reasons.
  • King Kihunter and Tiki jokes for some reason did not carry into English either, or at least did not carry into English too well. Or maybe one of those did not contain a joke.
Now that I think about it, showing off Key Hunter just before Smash Run kinda sorta in a twisted way makes sense. (Note: apparently Kihunters were spelled like that in the 90s...)

Last edited:

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
I could see demise being a skin change for ganondorf which would be pretty cool. But other than that the trophies could be hinting at veterans as well with ike and ganondorf

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heh, remember when Sakurai complained about people looking way too much into some of the things he does? Yeah, he was right....

Most particularly with his Twitter posts but this seems to be yet another one of those cases.
The only one worth giving some thoughts is the Palutena one, the others, not so much.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Heh, remember when Sakurai complained about people looking way too much into some of the things he does? Yeah, he was right....

Most particularly with his Twitter posts but this seems to be yet another one of those cases.
The only one worth giving some thoughts is the Palutena one, the others, not so much.
Really? When did he complain?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Is it really that shocking that a random quiz interlude would feature high-profile Nintendo franchises which all recently saw major releases?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Really? When did he complain?
Masahiro Sakurai said:
“I don’t like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around. For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it’s really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.”
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...xt-smash-bros-talks-twitter-whiners-and-more/

He complained about how some people look way too much into some of the things he does such as his Tweets on Twitter and start to needlessly overspeculate things to the point they actually start believing its true and when it turns out not to be the case, they start getting angry and calling him a "troll" and whatnot due to their own expectations not being met.

Honestly, I'm not really seeing much of a hidden meaning in those trophy quiz games besides it being his own version of "Who's that Pokemon" from the Pokemon anime. I highly doubt he was trying to hint at anything with them, well besides maybe the Palutena one I suppose, maybe....

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Pseudo-Palutena was simply Sakurai having some fun. He's almost certainly aware of the "leaked" Palutena photos and Palutena's popularity and thus wanted to prank fans of the character. Just look at the brief heart attack he gave ZSS mains.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
ITT: People read too much into things that don't really matter.

I don't see any reason to think the Trophy Quizzes were anything more than a bit of fun. Unless you want to suggest that that Luigi's Nose PotD is hinting at something.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
The "Guess that Character" segments were akin to the trophy intermissions in Melee's "Special Movie". They existed for the sake of showing off trophies. This is the same exact situation.

I mean, Pseudo-Palutena was the closest thing to a hint, by saying "Just kidding! It was a different character!"

Also, I think it's safe to say at least Metroid probably isn't getting a character this go-around. It feels like putting salt on a wound, since I want to see Ridley in this game so badly, but we need to face the facts and quit acting like Ridley wasn't heavily hinted at with a vague statement and a not-so-vague shadow on the Pyrosphere stage. And there really aren't any other Metroid characters who are series staples quite like Samus and Ridley, so I would be surprised - though, honestly, more disappointed than anything - if Sakurai put in a Metroid character, at this point. The only characters I can get behind are all deconfirmed.

I really hate that I have to talk about Ridley like that...

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I've got an amazing theory. What if the trophies mean absolutely nothing? Mindblowing theory, huh?
What if the trophies were revealed for the sake of revealing trophies you know like Saria, Phosphora and CR Mac? :eek: No, it can't be!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The "Guess that Character" segments were akin to the trophy intermissions in Melee's "Special Movie". They existed for the sake of showing off trophies. This is the same exact situation.
OMG Duck Hunt Dog confirmed for Melee guys.

He's been there this whole time, it's so obv. I can't believe we missed it.

:troll:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...xt-smash-bros-talks-twitter-whiners-and-more/

He complained about how some people look way too much into some of the things he does such as his Tweets on Twitter and start to needlessly overspeculate things to the point they actually start believing its true and when it turns out not to be the case, they start getting angry and calling him a "troll" and whatnot due to their own expectations not being met.

Honestly, I'm not really seeing much of a hidden meaning in those trophy quiz games besides it being his own version of "Who's that Pokemon" from the Pokemon anime. I highly doubt he was trying to hint at anything with them, well besides maybe the Palutena one I suppose, maybe....
I was kind of thinking that, too. Personally, I'm baffled as to why the trophy theory gained so much traction. Though the Palutena was more of a "Gotcha!" moment than anything else.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
ITT: People read too much into things that don't really matter.

I don't see any reason to think the Trophy Quizzes were anything more than a bit of fun. Unless you want to suggest that that Luigi's Nose PotD is hinting at something.
Luigi's nose is obviously hinting at a character without a nose being added in order to represent noseless characters. The way he is holding it could also mean that Luigi can remove his nose and throw it ala ZZS's armor. The picture also features very bright lights, which confirms Issac or Matthew form Golden Sun.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Luigi's nose is obviously hinting at a character without a nose being added in order to represent noseless characters. The way he is holding it could also mean that Luigi can remove his nose and throw it ala ZZS's armor. The picture also features very bright lights, which confirms Issac or Matthew form Golden Sun.
You mean Micaiah right? IT gets no brighter than a light mage. :troll:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Come on guys, give the person who made this trophy theory a break

Remember, there was a point and time where we all thought there were faces in the clouds during Subspace Emissaries reveal during brawls development :bowser2::mewtwopm:

Edit: With that said, I don't think this means anything but for a little "who's that pokemon" type of quizzing for fans of smash. For all we know, they would've shown a trophy of Pokemon Colosseum and we'd be thinking Wes was confirmed

Last edited:

Polo Fire

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling this theory is true and that not only could the trophies hint new characters but veterans as well.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
With what we have seen, I'm thinking the trophies actually point to Bosses rather than playable characters. Respectivly: Validar, Ghirahim, dark pit, and Ridley respectively.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The Fi one could be for Impa instead...
Just saying...

The Tiki one is either Chrom or Robin, leaning heavily towards Chrom.

There is no good substitute for Ridley in Metroid reps...

#TheoryTrue

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Short Answer: No

Long Answer: I don't think it means anything other than confirming a game's presence in Smash. And saving Palutena's chances at the time. :laugh:

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
"We're gonna speculate about one thing and one thing only: The Trophy Quiz segments from the Smash Direct."

"I'm not going to conclude that those trophies are hinting at new fighters from their corresponding franchises, that's just reading too much into things. I don't even know what that means."

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
If he complained that people read into his twitter posts too much, then why would he make a trophy quiz segment in an official direct which could easily be construed as him giving hints? If it doesn't mean anything then he would knowingly be creating the exact situation he doesn't like.

With the Greninja/Charizard reveal, it turned out that every single pokemon that appeared will be in the game. The trophy quiz theory could be a stretch, but I don't think it's insane to consider that the trophy quiz could be dropping hints--especially since in the same direct he dropped hints about pokemon, Palutena, and possibly more.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Yeah, this theory is our most reliable thing for predicting newcomers now, we have 2/4 and the music tracks have been revealed to be important to the hint, meaning Ridley and Ghirahim are playable
I agree that these's one of our most reliable theories we have right now, but i still wouldn't say that they are playable :drshrug: (i really want both but still... i don't want to get hurt :p )

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
This theory can still hold true....can we expect a new zelda newcomer or even.....Ridley?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
This theory being 2 for 4 doesn't really mean much since Uprising and Awakening were getting reps regardless. Ghirahim/Demise don't seem likely since we already have plenty of sword users, and they're one-off characters who are way less important to the series than Ganondorf. The only remotely interesting potential Zelda newcomer I can think of would be blue pig Ganon, though this is also unlikely. Ridley was strongly teased as a boss character, and while Sakurai could make him playable, I don't think it's likely, and there aren't any other Metroid newcomers close to him in importance and popularity. It's probably just a coincidence.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I'm guessing that the Fi trophy is hinting mre towards impa, but ghirahim is still a viable candidate in my eyes..

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
I'm surprised there are so many people here who disregard this theory so quickly, especially considering how many people there are here that believe in more ridiculous theories than this. I don't see why there couldn't be something to this. If the Palutena one was a hint, then why couldn't the others be?
The song that played when tiki was shown was Id (purpose). The "Id" songs are attributed to Robin. ;p
Look at that. Fake Palutena was obviously Palutena and Tiki, along with the music, hinted directly at Robin, who turned out to be playable.

I don't recognize the music for Fi, but Kihunter is definitely Ridley's theme. That's honestly the best evidence I've seen for Ridley as a playable character, but he's also very strongly implied to be a boss character on pyrosphere, so I don't know what to think of that.

Anyone know what music that is playing for Fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom