• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DO people who main snake just to win deserve respect?

jalued

Smash Lord
depending on why u chose to main snake, i would generally say that i have absolutely no respect at all for anyone who mains snake unless...

u play him cause of the metalgear solid series
he fits your playing style-as in, you picked him up and it just clicked (happened with me and sheik)

the rest of u are all just glory followers, playing the most broken character in the game.

anyone think differntly? i'm interested to know others opinions about this.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
depending on why u chose to main snake, i would generally say that i have absolutely no respect at all for anyone who mains snake unless...

the rest of u are all just glory followers, playing the most broken character in the game.

that is all
Don't try to start a flame war.

jalued

Smash Lord
meh, i'm just saying what i think....freedom of speech and all that. just thought i'd say it, see what reactions i get. i'm not trying to be malicious though, its just that i think its time someone says it about snake

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
its just that i think its time someone says it about snake
Pretty much everyone does. So some people play Snake because he's good. I believe people did that about Shiek at first too. Times will change. People will get used to fighting Snake.

This has it's own topics in Brawl General Discussion and Brawl Tactical Discussion. Something like 2 or 3 A DAY.

Just sayin.'

Snake's On A Plane

Smash Cadet
Well I mained Snake the day I bought the game and unlocked him. I initially chose Snake because I'm obsessed with the Metal Gear Solid series. But after I started using him it just "clicked" as you said.

As for people who just started picking up Snake because they think he's a good character, its pretty easy to tell who is a noob and who has been a Snake mainer for a while. I see noobs spamming techniques they see on the boards, which of course make their fighting style predictable.

But honestly, I dont think Snake is broken. When I first started using him it felt awkward. I see a broken character as someone you can pick up and use easily without any practice. Snake mainers who are actually good are that way because they practice timing with bombs, arial attacks and combos. Honestly if he was broken I wouldnt have to practice to be good with Snake.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
Well I mained Snake the day I bought the game and unlocked him. I initially chose Snake because I'm obsessed with the Metal Gear Solid series. But after I started using him it just "clicked" as you said.

As for people who just started picking up Snake because they think he's a good character, its pretty easy to tell who is a noob and who has been a Snake mainer for a while. I see noobs spamming techniques they see on the boards, which of course make their fighting style predictable.

But honestly, I dont think Snake is broken. When I first started using him it felt awkward. I see a broken character as someone you can pick up and use easily without any practice. Snake mainers who are actually good are that way because they practice timing with bombs, arial attacks and combos. Honestly if he was broken I wouldnt have to practice to be good with Snake.
your reasons for playing him are fair and you defended him in differences but alot of people main reason for saying snake is broken is well...ftilt

thats an awesome sig btw :laugh:
anyways

other then that there will always be a character people will use becuase they think they are awesome just like fox and falco and a few others turned out in melee

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I started playing Snake because he was highly technical. Same for Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, and somewhat Lucario. And I started before I knew he was so popular.

I always liked the difficult, technical characters. They are more about player intelligence, timing, and awareness than a character like Marth, where the opponent is either in range or not.

That is why I started with Pikachu when SSB64 came out.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
I'll be blunt. This is a pointless thread. **** it all this whining about Snake is superbly ********. Going so far as to say you are with-holding respect for Snake players. Face it, there will be people who flock to a character if he/she is performing well beyond expectations, so it's logical to try them out right? Who isn't attracted to the aspect performing well?

Furthermore, If he's so freakin' broken why does he still have tough-as-nails matchups? You would think a broken character would be banned for chrissake (*cough*Akuma*cough*).

Freakin' basing the "broken" status on a couple of punishable tilts.

Yea I'm sick and tired of this crap, no apologies.

edit: fyi, I was here well before the survival guide was up, back when Ruckus, Jeff, Ultima, and Rusty were out and about helping/compiling/developing Snake's metagame on these forums when brawl was first released in the U.S. Eventually people started predicting that there would be a bandwagon, lo and behold, there is. Deal with it and respect people's choices.

Snake's On A Plane

Smash Cadet
your reasons for playing him are fair and you defended him in differences but alot of people main reason for saying snake is broken is well...ftilt

thats an awesome sig btw :laugh:
anyways

other then that there will always be a character people will use becuase they think they are awesome just like fox and falco and a few others turned out in melee
haha thanks

I jus dont think ftilt is broken because I play alot of people who easily dodge/shield it and punish me for it. Esp ness and his grabs grrrrr

Hype

Smash Lord
I respect maining characters because they are the best.
I agree. Some people only have one objective in smash, to win. If you want to win why would you choose anyone but your best character. Since snake and MK are generally considered the best, many people will end up maining them. I have nothing against someone who want to win.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
I'll be blunt. This is a pointless thread. **** it all this whining about Snake is superbly ********. Going so far as to say you are with-holding respect for Snake players. Face it, there will be people who flock to a character if he/she is performing well beyond expectations, so it's logical to try them out right? Who isn't attracted to the aspect performing well?

Furthermore, If he's so freakin' broken why does he still have tough-as-nails matchups? You would think a broken character would be banned for chrissake (*cough*Akuma*cough*).

i agree with you

anyways broken is a term thrown around so much it's lost it's meaning

im here to get the other side of this >.> but it's like all the snake players in my area say sonic sucks they dont know the other side thats what im doing here dunno what your saying but im pretty sure the emotion is in the same spot

jalued

Smash Lord
course i know its a pointless thread lol. i mean, its not constructive or anything. its jut interesting to find out other peoples opinions. and yeah, i do face that people flock to the best characters, it just isn't what i personally do, but i can see why others do.

oh, and yeah, i know that snake is hard to play in the beginning, i mean, i keep on thinking that downsmash with him will hit on both sides lol, which usually mucks me up. but i do think that as soon as someone reaches the point where they have gotten use to snakes diverse playstye, then they are pretty difficult to consistently beat, that snakes have extremes ...either very easy, or very hard

btw, i know i said "i think" and "i know" alot, but its late and i'm tired...no johns

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman

he fits your playing style-as in, you picked him up and it just clicked (happened with me and sheik)

See this is why I resent the teir system so much. People are constantly reminding us how **** broken Snake is on pretty much every single post that comes up. Yeah, we realize that we have an edge on other characters, get over it and learn to deal.

And the answer to the post is: yes, you should respect people who play Snake. Whether they chose to play him for the "edge", or they simply like his fighting style or the Metal Gear series. Some people play to win, others play to enjoy themselves. You shouldn't resent us for either reason.

No disrespect to you directly, of course. I'm speaking for the community in general.

Edit:

edit: fyi, I was here well before the survival guide was up, back when Ruckus, Jeff, Ultima, and Rusty were out and about helping/compiling/developing Snake's metagame on these forums when brawl was first released in the U.S. Eventually people started predicting that there would be a bandwagon, lo and behold, there is. Deal with it and respect people's choices.
Amen to that, brudda.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings

Even if I did pick Snake because he was top tier I wouldn't stand for this kind of crap from people.

Who do you think cares that you have no respect for Snake mains? I don't get it.

People can pick Snake for any reason they so desire and shouldn't have to worry about being shunned by people like you, seriously.

I never played an MGS game until I decided to main Snake, and that's what turned me onto the series and I'm a big fan.

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
Even if I did pick Snake because he was top tier I wouldn't stand for this kind of crap from people.

Who do you think cares that you have no respect for Snake mains? I don't get it.

People can pick Snake for any reason they so desire and shouldn't have to worry about being shunned by people like you, seriously.

I never played an MGS game until I decided to main Snake, and that's what turned me onto the series and I'm a big fan.
i think he said earlier that he was wanting people opnions and thats his...tho the title is misleading

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
It's a mix of a person's actions and their personality that warrants the respect usually, not the video game character they use.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
It's a mix of a person's actions and their personality that warrants the respect usually, not the video game character they use.
Ever notice the people who main snake or so called "broken" characters just for the mere fact that they are considered the best are miserable excuses for human beings?

Playing the best character just to win eh? What kind of silly "competitiveness" is that? Does it fill their imaginary jars of self satisfaction? Sure, the next person shouldn't regard my respect for them, but they are such souless, ball-ess people, suckers of satan's **** each and every one of them.

"YAY! i won a smash tournament and got a big pot of money for it woo hoo! I love snake and his brokeness, i don't care if i've never played mgs before, he's teh best!"

Sorry excuses for human beings. I'll be out making my life credible while those guys will be jerkin off to Snake's prowess in smash.

"Dude your such a hypocrite, why are you on smashboards if your so much better than us?"

I love smash...do i need another reason to join the gaming community? Aside from the fact that in the brief time i've been on these boards i've come to despise not only the smash community but also all gaming communities.

Respect people who choose the best characters to win? Hell no. These people can't even spell sex, have horrible tastes in EVERYTHING, have no sense of creativity, ambition, or most importantly REALITY. Ultimately they amount to NOTHING in this world. They are no worse than the nazi's under Hitler's reign.

Kudos to anyone who gets the references in this post, but i doubt any of you would be that cultured. Go listen to dane cook and watch combo vids all day, then waste your weekends at smash tournaments.

EDIT: i know it'd be incredibly ignorant to label every Snake main (who main him for the right reasons or not), but i have drawn these conclusions from my own experiences. if your a snake main and your not a trick, you are a rare breed.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Ever notice the people who main snake or so called "broken" characters just for the mere fact that they are considered the best are miserable excuses for human beings?

Playing the best character just to win eh? What kind of silly "competitiveness" is that? Does it fill their imaginary jars of self satisfaction? Sure, the next person shouldn't regard my respect for them, but they are such souless, ball-ess people, suckers of satan's **** each and every one of them.

"YAY! i won a smash tournament and got a big pot of money for it woo hoo! I love snake and his brokeness, i don't care if i've never played mgs before, he's teh best!"

Sorry excuses for human beings. I'll be out making my life credible while those guys will be jerkin off to Snake's prowess in smash.

"Dude your such a hypocrite, why are you on smashboards if your so much better than us?"

I love smash...do i need another reason to join the gaming community? Aside from the fact that in the brief time i've been on these boards i've come to despise not only the smash community but also all gaming communities.

Respect people who choose the best characters to win? Hell no. These people can't even spell sex, have horrible tastes in EVERYTHING, have no sense of creativity, ambition, or most importantly REALITY. Ultimately they amount to NOTHING in this world. They are no worse than the nazi's under Hitler's reign.

Kudos to anyone who gets the references in this post, but i doubt any of you would be that cultured. Go listen to dane cook and watch combo vids all day, then waste your weekends at smash tournaments.

EDIT: i know it'd be incredibly ignorant to label every Snake main (who main him for the right reasons or not), but i have drawn these conclusions from my own experiences. if your a snake main and your not a trick, you are a rare breed.
In the end, they're making money and you aren't.

Resulting in you complaining about people who main Snake just because they want to win.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

pharaohalex

Smash Rookie

wow you are one sad person.
so what if the guy wants to win the money? in what way does that affect YOU as a human being?

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
In the end, they're making money and you aren't.

Resulting in you complaining about people who main Snake just because they want to win.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I do not attend tournaments. I have a REAL job. And sorry if I come across as complaining about people maining Snake to win, power to them, but at the end of the day i'm an infinitely more worthwhile person than they will ever be.

wow you are one sad person.
so what if the guy wants to win the money? in what way does that affect YOU as a human being?
They don't effect me as a human being in anyway, they are just annoyances who should be shot off the face of the planet.

If you people are SOOOO competitive and dead set on winning, why not apply it in an area of life that MATTERS?!?

I'm a competitive person in area's of my life where COMPETITION IS HEALTHY. Competitiveness in smash just sucks the soul and fun out of the game. I compete in local fighting bouts through my area's boxing organization, i work as a waiter in a restaurant (and not some applebee's ****, i work in a classy italian restaurant), have a GIRLFRIEND (female contact is like kryptonite to tourney tards) and start my first semester of college in august. wtf are you guys doing with your time? Ruining a game for the rest of us.

If anyone from smashboards boxes competitively and lives in the tri-state area and wants to spar with me a lil, i'll be glad to. I are iz a top tiers boxer -_-

I did volunteer work at a program for autistic children. I know kids there who will be more productive human beings in society than most of the spiritless Snake mainers who only use him cus he's "broken" and they desire to win so badly.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
theres nothing wrong with winning, if your gonna play something why not try to win?

iMeeHow

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this thread.
When you main someone because you liked there series or just liked him from the start (like me and lucario) then yea, its a good choice for you
But if you main some1 because they are broken and easy to use then u dont deserve respect

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm a crazy mgs fan and fell in love with snakes play style after using him for awhile, thats why I main him. And heres the reason why snake is considered broken.........he's the best character in the game atm!! People need to find excuses to lose to a good character and one word always comes to mind...BROKEN!! They need to stop *****ing and moaning about losing to him all the time because they suck at the game and cant get around his play style.

And as for the people who main snake just to win who really cares? Most of the time I'm sure that person is going to suck at the game because they cant play as snake they just want to be the best. And if they are good, then why does it matter if they are using him because he's #1?

lordaxl

Smash Cadet
blah, blah, blah, and more blah
if you resent the smash competitive scene so much, then why the heck are you on smashboards in the first place. afterall, swf is filled with gamers who play competitively and the forum is practically gung-ho for competitive smash.

i dont get how boasting about how you work a nice job and having a girlfriend makes you better than any of us gamers. we all have our own lives and we all live it our own way. why don't you just go on about your life and keep the 'tard comments to yourself lol

but besides all this trollin nonsense, i'd say that theres nothing wrong with players who main snake just to win tourneys. even if they main him, it takes skill to be at the top consistently.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I don't feel like checking any of the other post but let me just say a Sheik main should never say anything about being "broken"

Yes Snake is quite good but Sheik was consider broken for years back in melee but people stilled used her. What can we Sheik users say to snakes, stop using him because you gain a unfair advantage?

Please stop your *****ing.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I came into this thread after seeing the provocative title. My two cents are thus:

Doing it for the money? K go ahead.

Doing it because you like MGS? Good for you, I main Ness because I love Earthbound, we're of the same breed.

Doing it because he's heavy, and because he has pretty overpowered tilts? Eh, you're kind of gay.

Lep raises some very valid points, people who see something that works and mimic it rather than making it their own/coming up with their own things are the bane of society (most rap artists being in mind, who else has noticed that of late mainstream music is all about implementing Daft Punk into their music for the greatest effect?)

Some people are just angry that others are so pathetic as to do this in every aspect of their life (the way they dress, the way they act, the things they watch, the music they listen to... the list goes on ;))

Anyway Lep, you messed up in this argument by comparing them to yourself, they're nowhere near you. You're an actual gamer, they're just flies flocking to the big **** :)

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
I came into this thread after seeing the provocative title. My two cents are thus:

Doing it for the money? K go ahead.

Doing it because you like MGS? Good for you, I main Ness because I love Earthbound, we're of the same breed.

Doing it because he's heavy, and because he has pretty overpowered tilts? Eh, you're kind of gay.

Lep raises some very valid points, people who see something that works and mimic it rather than making it their own/coming up with their own things are the bane of society (most rap artists being in mind, who else has noticed that of late mainstream music is all about implementing Daft Punk into their music for the greatest effect?)

Some people are just angry that others are so pathetic as to do this in every aspect of their life (the way they dress, the way they act, the things they watch, the music they listen to... the list goes on ;))

Anyway Lep, you messed up in this argument by comparing them to yourself, they're nowhere near you. You're an actual gamer, they're just flies flocking to the big **** :)
you, my friend, are destined for greatness.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
thats why u 2 are idiots. people copy ppl. thats life. few create new ideas. congratulations for having a gf lep cuz every1 else here obviously doesnt have that luxury; well according to you. Im studying for medschool taking some physics classes and have a gf too. Arent we original?

And please dekar173 ur just a dumb*** for thinking Lep is amazing then mimicing his same argument. interesting. And how is he an actual gamer, and ppl who compete arent? thats just stupid. the only fly flocking to a little piece of **** named Lep is you. Like he didnt raise any valid points at all. He just wanted to give himself self-esteem boost by posting some idiotic comment. If he just plays casual anyways, why the hell is this stuff bothering him. I do mma and play basketball. who the **** cares? just the same amount that care about ur boxing. None. If u think competitive smash is dumb, then either critique to help the community or shut the hell up and get out.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
why are we arguing over something as stupid as this. people can play anyone they want for whatever reason. people copy all the time get over it. also Dekar173 stop being a kiss ***.

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
has anyone ever pondered, if smash was meant to be a competitive game, why is 90% of its content tournament illegal? The competitive smash scene ruins the game. And generalizing life to "people copy people" is a sad testament to how the world works. If "people copy people" is true, then we should all be STRIVING to be something different and worthwhile, not accept it and live out mundane, pointless existence's.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is NO POINT WHATSOEVER to competitive smashing. The game is meant to be enjoyed and not *******ized. The competitive scene effectively neuters the game and rips the soul from it. Be good at what you do, but only where it matters, and I have to say, smash in the long run does not matter. 10 years from now, will winning a handful of tournaments improve your quality of life AT ALL? No, it won't. But spending that time actually ENJOYING the game for its menial entertainment value (if enjoyed with peers) might. Just food for thought.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
has anyone ever pondered, if smash was meant to be a competitive game, why is 90% of its content tournament illegal? The competitive smash scene ruins the game. And generalizing life to "people copy people" is a sad testament to how the world works. If "people copy people" is true, then we should all be STRIVING to be something different and worthwhile, not accept it and live out mundane, pointless existence's.

Edit: I forgot to mention that there is NO POINT WHATSOEVER to competitive smashing. The game is meant to be enjoyed and not *******ized. The competitive scene effectively neuters the game and rips the soul from it. Be good at what you do, but only where it matters, and I have to say, smash in the long run does not matter. 10 years from now, will winning a handful of tournaments improve your quality of life AT ALL? No, it won't. But spending that time actually ENJOYING the game for its menial entertainment value (if enjoyed with peers) might. Just food for thought.
Leprechaun, when sport first begin none of them where meant to be competitive they where made just for a source of entertainment. However as time went on people begin to wonder like they do for hunting, weaving, or even child birth, who was the best at doing X. The title of being the best at something is what most people want so people started to get more competitive, eventuality other areas would also find who was the best but since you can't have two people the best at something when the two or more groups meet they would have to find out.

Theses two or even more groups might have a different set of rules so a compromise was most likely made to make things more fair for both sides.

Smash like any activity had the same start. You said 90% of the content is tournament illegal well the reason for that is just as you said this game was not made to be competitive, however we as a community(not you) have made it so. We have made rules to cut down the randomness that everyone can agree on that make the game fair and because everyone wishes to be the "King of smash" we have a competitive spirit that's keep us activity.

Now GTFO the smashboards if you are going to continue your attack on competitive gaming.

Cort

Apple Head
I'm sure people would keep playing Melee for nearly 8 years if we kept items and all the goofy stages in.

It's not like people still played it casually amongst their friends.

Leprechaun, you're a gigantic scrub. And I can see jealousy seep from your pores and it's blatantly obvious how horrible you are at Smash.

Why do you even post here?

Your tone and vocabulary are really cute too.

Uh, I'm really really not trying to be a schlong, just being honest.

Top Bottom