• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people still play brawl???

Mashu Koria

Smash Apprentice
I really really feel bad for ignoring my local brawl scene for so long. I honestly still see a developing metagame in brawl, but people don't put enough faith into it (melee took a long time to become what it is today, nearly 14 years) so i feel honest and real remorse. Now that I have learned to appreciate and love brawl in the way I should have long ago. You can see the difference between Japanese brawl, a game that people have honestly worked on and are still working on whole heartedly, and American brawl; a game that few people cared about enough to develop a meta and skill level to really show off the game, rather the top players play it at relative face value. Its really a shame to see such an amazing competitive game (which it is no doubt) be knocked so hard for being "not melee". I honestly wish that people will continue playing.
I feel the reason many people were dissapointed by Brawl is that they spent 7 years getting good at Melee's advanced techniques and then boom they're useless.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I still would play as I myself am inclined to still really like the game, but nobody will play with me locally anymore. I have one friend that would but aside from that, all the top Brawl players in the area do nothing but talk of how much they "always hated the game" whenever it is brought up. I don't hate Smash 4, but it's not the same and I no longer see myself excited to go to events. I just show up to local stuff now.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I haven't touched it since 4 came out. I may one day go back but I doubt it. It's too different from the new game and I am not good enough to play both without one of them suffering and I much prefer 4.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
I have started going back and playing brawl more. I was young when it came out so I played it a ton just not competitively. I play ssb4 competitively and really like it but there is something about brawl that keeps pulling me back.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure there are still people who play Brawl. After all, it is only seven years old, whereas Melee is already nearly 14 years old.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I'm not playing Brawl at the moment but I'm actually saving up enough money to buy a copy or I'll just wait until I can get a hold of my uncle's Brawl since he said he doesn't play the Wii anymore and said I can have it although I'm kind of impatient. It's not really a nostalgia factor either for why I want to play Brawl again, I barely even played Brawl back than but it's when I got into competitive Sm4sh this year and I decided to check out how bad competitive Brawl was because I remember hearing about how how slow-paced the game was and generally it wasn't that liked but watching competitive Brawl, I actually found really enjoyable to watch. Excited to pick up Brawl, I really hope I can get a competitive Smash scene started at my school and bring in all the Smash Bro games but I may be busy if I manage to get a job at school because I won't have time to of course, manage the club. Also I don't have money to buy N64 / SSB, a GameCube / Melee, or a Wii along with all the controllers I have to get so people can play (at least a minimum of two each console." Including there's the risk of my stuff being stolen so I have to watch everything like a hawk.

Last edited:

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
I have a small group of friends who play melee @ school and hopfully ill be getting a wii to bring so we will have brawl PM BM and 20xx to play as well. We are all competitive players but we need more people lol

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
I play smash 4 competitively and it is great but Brawl is different and I like the differences of each.

TimSin

Smash Cadet
It doesn't. I just want to convert Brawl players to the new Smash
Personally, I am a Smash 4 player, not a Brawl player. However, it doesn't give you a right to try to force others to go to Smash 4 instead of Brawl by calling Brawl a bad game. I've seen some Brawl tournaments, and some matches seem more faster-paced than Smash 4. Granted Smash 4 doesn't have a fully developed meta game, but still. Brawl is a good game to play for fun, and competitively. If people want to convert to Smash 4 like you and I, go ahead. But don't say Brawl sucks because Smash 4 is better.

Smash Ace
Personally, I am a Smash 4 player, not a Brawl player. However, it doesn't give you a right to try to force others to go to Smash 4 instead of Brawl by calling Brawl a bad game. I've seen some Brawl tournaments, and some matches seem more faster-paced than Smash 4. Granted Smash 4 doesn't have a fully developed meta game, but still. Brawl is a good game to play for fun, and competitively. If people want to convert to Smash 4 like you and I, go ahead. But don't say Brawl sucks because Smash 4 is better.
Hey, freedom of speech dude!

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
Do you guys still play brawl online? I know nintendo shut it down but you can download a file that allows you to play off a server similar to the PM servers.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Yes people are still playing that "malfeasted" game, are you looking to Brawl?

And I forgot to add, I've been playing Melee all my Smash life, yes I'm technical very technical and know matches, but the Net-play is terrible even more worse than Brawl since Melee is technically nothing but tech skill, so a mistake is a stock without it being a minor or major mistake. So I stuck with Brawl due to it's the closet game towards being technical next to Melee (not including Brawl mods including "PM") and the Online connection is more precise than Melee's net play and mechanic structure on Online. And Brawl is a perfectly fine game. Thanks.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Wonderful, here's my friend code. 5074-0626-2224

Also, my timezone is pacific time, yours?

I will Brawl tomorrow at 10:20 am

Your timezone and time to Brawl? Thanks.

Last edited:

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
I have school in the morning ill be brawling from 5-8pm pacific time.

My friend code: 1852-8370-2988

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Hmm, I see, I'll see what I can do if I will have enough time to play at that time. Just a question I'm curious towards, do you always play Brawl, or you must first get a message from someone in-order to go Online and Brawl, or, do you just always wait for players to get Online and join in?

I can try to play man but I'm occupied with life and such. How about Saturday? At 10:30 am? Let me know if you can or not. I added your FC btw. Thanks.

Edit: I'll be Online now. Thanks.

Last edited:

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
Hey man sorry somethings came up yesterday and I was unable to play but I should be able to play saturday.
There is a random finder wich hardly has anyone on it usually but when you add the fc you can make your own room and play that way.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Hey man sorry somethings came up yesterday and I was unable to play but I should be able to play saturday.
There is a random finder wich hardly has anyone on it usually but when you add the fc you can make your own room and play that way.
Do you have a link man? And it's fine no worries. I'm on right now if you're on man.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I play brawl time to time plus brawl got me into Smash bros and the competitive side of Smash to

カワシさん

I don't get the hate that Brawl gets. I mean, sure it's a bit slow but it is still quite fun. Plus, Brawl was my first Smash game and pretty much the reason I'm playing Smash today.

Sliquify_Cheeze

Smash Cadet
Speaking of which, does anyone still play on the wiimmfi servers? I haven't got PM working yet and I'm getting bored of CPUs

Top Bottom