• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people still play brawl???

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Im just wondering for all the hate brawl got, why are people still playing it, i played it at the end of its life (Earlier this year) but i never really loved it i was more pm and melee driven, however brawl is my roots and i think that every starting smasher should start with this game ... no offense its just easier to learn, anyways back to the main question why do people still play this game, and how many people are going to be playing it at Apex 2015?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I enjoyed Brawl for what it was, and have played it several times this year. Before Smash 4, the scene in my state has mainly been Melee and PM (with Melee being on the more competitive side). I prefer Melee to Brawl, but I wouldn't mind playing it once in a while. I've had a lot of history with Brawl and its how I met a lot of new friends. Playing people over wifi on the AiB ladders, definitely helped me be a better player. With the death of wifi play for Brawl, it makes it easier to transition to Smash 4. With the release of Smash 4, its all the rage now so that's what my friends are playing. I will definitely still play Brawl if my friends/community are down for it, but it's not of interest as of late.

Last edited:

Gamer807

Smash Cadet
I still play brawl from a time to time, but if there is a tournament I'll go and play in it. Sorry but I prefer Brawl to Melee, sorry Melee people

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
Neat to see at least one person who likes Brawl over Melee like me ^^
I guess i just like Brawl better because its the one I'm best at
I mean i can play Melee well but I'm nowhere near tournament level in Melee like i am in Brawl or 64
Guess i just don't got that tech skill
But to answer the question yes i do still frequently play Brawl

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
I heard people would hate on prawl because its too easy to do... but i liked it, especially subspace, and i play it from time to time

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Brawl is proof of how great Smash is.Not because it's the most loved,but the opposite;people hate on it,and say it is a terrible Smash game,yet it's a great game actually.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
melee was good, (and also my first smash), but i like the others too, there is always room for improvement...

people love melee for L-canceling (dont know what that is) and wave dashing (don't see the point of wave dashing)

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
melee was good, (and also my first smash), but i like the others too, there is always room for improvement...

people love melee for L-canceling (dont know what that is) and wave dashing (don't see the point of wave dashing)
L-Canceling is pressing shield right before you hit the ground in order to cancel the landing lag of aerials, and there are many uses for wavedashing, you just need to know your options.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Neat to see at least one person who likes Brawl over Melee like me ^^
I guess i just like Brawl better because its the one I'm best at
I mean i can play Melee well but I'm nowhere near tournament level in Melee like i am in Brawl or 64
Guess i just don't got that tech skill
But to answer the question yes i do still frequently play Brawl
I started out brawl and then eventually i was converted ... it just happens its weird, you just get bored with the game and wish you could do more so you start playing melee and start the cycle of "Wow i havent won a game against anyone this game blows" to "WOW I HAVENT LOST A GAME THIS GAME IS AMAZING" You just naturally want to face adversity and improve or at least thats how it is for me

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
I started out brawl and then eventually i was converted ... it just happens its weird, you just get bored with the game and wish you could do more so you start playing melee and start the cycle of "Wow i havent won a game against anyone this game blows" to "WOW I HAVENT LOST A GAME THIS GAME IS AMAZING" You just naturally want to face adversity and improve or at least thats how it is for me
The real problem I have with Melee is just how much of a gap there is between me and "high level competitors" where as in brawl I can bplay to my fullest potential without needing insane tech skill

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
The real problem I have with Melee is just how much of a gap there is between me and "high level competitors" where as in brawl I can bplay to my fullest potential without needing insane tech skill
There's such a big gap because people love the game so much i know it feels like wow im never gonna be a competitor in this game, but theres soooo much room to improve and thats why people have played it for more than 10 years you just gotta be committed i guess

Spaghetti Falco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
brandorf
3DS FC
3024-6627-7748
There's such a big gap because people love the game so much i know it feels like wow im never gonna be a competitor in this game, but theres soooo much room to improve and thats why people have played it for more than 10 years you just gotta be committed i guess
I guess I could just be like Borp and win lel

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I really really feel bad for ignoring my local brawl scene for so long. I honestly still see a developing metagame in brawl, but people don't put enough faith into it (melee took a long time to become what it is today, nearly 14 years) so i feel honest and real remorse. Now that I have learned to appreciate and love brawl in the way I should have long ago. You can see the difference between Japanese brawl, a game that people have honestly worked on and are still working on whole heartedly, and American brawl; a game that few people cared about enough to develop a meta and skill level to really show off the game, rather the top players play it at relative face value. Its really a shame to see such an amazing competitive game (which it is no doubt) be knocked so hard for being "not melee". I honestly wish that people will continue playing.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
(melee took a long time to become what it is today, nearly 14 years)
Wombo Combo took place over six years ago, almost seven exactly years after the game came out.

Brawl is closing in on being seven years old itself, and didn't have to build a competitive scene by itself - It had players digging into competitive play day one. It benefited immensely from the groundwork that Melee had already laid, and took place in the age of Youtube and (in the last few years) Twitch streaming. Even years after Melee's release, people were recording via camcorders and sharing videos via DC++.

(And 14 years from December 2001 would be a year from now.)

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I would play Brawl over Smash 4 in a heartbeat. It was the first smash game I ever got competitive in (Even though I never participated in any brawl tournaments because there aren't any near me) , and it was the first smash game I've ever played. I played Project M, but I don't like it as much as I do brawl because I prefer the slowness (And because i'm not experienced at the mod due to my Wii having issues loading it up anyways.)

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Im just wondering for all the hate brawl got, why are people still playing it, i played it at the end of its life (Earlier this year) but i never really loved it i was more pm and melee driven, however brawl is my roots and i think that every starting smasher should start with this game ... no offense its just easier to learn, anyways back to the main question why do people still play this game, and how many people are going to be playing it at Apex 2015?
I still play, i really like the side-B of snake that everybody hate!

jr22

Smash Apprentice
I played brawl when smash 3ds version was release in japan back in September. I had to play with the wiimote and somehow I almost won too. It pretty funny actually.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I only play Brawl if my friends or family don't have Smash Wii U or Melee.

Last edited:

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
Brawl isn't terrible at all, but the hype pales in comparison to Melee and PM. I'm kind of in a honeymoon phase with sm4sh right now so I don't want to immediately say I like it better. But with sm4sh being the most active at the moment between the two, I can see brawl only being revisited for pm purposes.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Brawl is proof of how great Smash is.Not because it's the most loved,but the opposite;people hate on it,and say it is a terrible Smash game,yet it's a great game actually.

I heard people would hate on prawl because its too easy to do... but i liked it, especially subspace, and i play it from time to time

No offense but... uh... You are giving me cancer with these comments. That's not too mean, is it?

First of all, I love Subspace! For some reason the terrible level design doesn't get to me.

Second of all, why in the ****ing **** would anyone like Melee because of a technique that halves endlag of aerials? No wonder the Brawl community antagonizes the Melee community so much. They think we are like : "Oh, I don't like Smash 4 and Street Fighter because there is no L canceling, and techniques are totally what I love about Melee!" In fact, the reason there's still flame wars after 7 long years is because there's always that person who prefers Brawl over Melee ( which is fine ) AND argues that Brawl is better while not knowing the first thing about Melee! I know causing something like this was not even close to your intention, but don't talk about things you don't know well. I like ALL the Smash games, but it really grinds my gears when people make stereotypes of Melee as a whole.

But if you REALLY want a Smash game that isn't so easy that it's unrewarding ( like Brawl ) but not so hard that you need to practice 3 hours daily ( like Melee lolz ), Smash 64 is that game! Some sets it's like a combination of Melee and Brawl : at first they just stand around practicing Z canceling, and then one hit, an awesome combo, and a flashy finisher that sends them to their doom. This is the most combo oriented Smash game by far! The hitstun is, like, twice as much as Melee, Z canceling doesn't just halve landing lag like Melee : it completely takes it off, sheild breaks are way easier, and the whole cast is very balanced overall. Get this game! Looks really ugly though, even for the Nintendo 64. Someone make a texture pack for this game.

Last edited:

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
Second of all, why in the ****ing **** would anyone like Melee because of a technique that halves endlag of aerials? No wonder the Brawl community antagonizes the Melee community so much. They think we are like : "Oh, I don't like Smash 4 and Street Fighter because there is no L canceling, and techniques are totally what I love about Melee!" In fact, the reason there's still flame wars after 7 long years is because there's always that person who prefers Brawl over Melee ( which is fine ) AND argues that Brawl is better while not knowing the first thing about Melee! I know causing something like this was not even close to your intention, but don't talk about things you don't know well. I like ALL the Smash games, but it really grinds my gears when people make stereotypes of Melee as a whole.

But if you REALLY want a Smash game that isn't so easy that it's unrewarding ( like Brawl ) but not so hard that you need to practice 3 hours daily ( like Melee lolz ), Smash 64 is that game! Some sets it's like a combination of Melee and Brawl : at first they just stand around practicing Z canceling, and then one hit, an awesome combo, and a flashy finisher that sends them to their doom. This is the most combo oriented Smash game by far! The hitstun is, like, twice as much as Melee, Z canceling doesn't just halve landing lag like Melee : it completely takes it off, sheild breaks are way easier, and the whole cast is very balanced overall. Get this game! Looks really ugly though, even for the Nintendo 64. Someone make a texture pack for this game.
............................................................................................................................................................. :ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I haven't played Brawl since a month before the 3DS version was released. It's not a bad game, though.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
i seldom play brawl but when i start to think about snake. ohh god i miss snake.... WHYYYY!!!!

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I think there was a thread in the General Discussion similar to this a while ago, so you could check it out to see some more opinions on Brawl.

The only reason I don't play Brawl anymore is:
a) Smash 4 is out
b) the characters are unbalanced
c) the physics in Brawl are absurd

Otherwise, I've had some pretty good memories with it... with over thousands and thousands of battles (no joke)... and I really miss Wolf. How could they remove such a significant villain in the Star Fox franchise?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I would play Brawl over Smash 4 in a heartbeat. It was the first smash game I ever got competitive in (Even though I never participated in any brawl tournaments because there aren't any near me) , and it was the first smash game I've ever played. I played Project M, but I don't like it as much as I do brawl because I prefer the slowness (And because i'm not experienced at the mod due to my Wii having issues loading it up anyways.)
I agree, Brawl was a great game.
And your avatar is just amazing.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Brawl was probably my favorite game overall, I understand why people didn't like it and I don't blame them. I eventually stopped playing competitively in favor of melee just because the scene was bigger and better, but I still love Brawl.

SSS

Smash Ace
these threads are always hilarious

literally the only threads ever made in Brawl forums nowadays are "doesn't anyone play this game??? is this game really bad for competitive???"

If you want to play a game, then play it. You'll probably find SOMEONE who will play Brawl with you. If you actually want a big scene to play in, then no, Brawl isn't the right game and it's time to play Melee or Smash 4.

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
I still play Brawl. The game is starting to see a pick up of interest again amongst those never heard of Brawl's competitive days (thanks documentary). A subreddit for Brawl has just been made with a few hundred subscribers in a few days. Spaced across Smashboards and reddit I'm seeing Brawl show up again at local tournaments. The interest is there at least. And with Smashcon hosting Brawl... Who knows?

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Even though it was my first SSB game i ever played i sometimes play Brawl but now i only play 64, Melee and Wii U. I guess i should play it more often.

Last edited:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I love Brawl. Don't play it anymore but in all honesty, I feel like Smash 4 is what Brawl should have been (gameplay wise). It's the right speed and there's no random tripping. I miss the days of playing on Wi-Fi and hanging out at AiB chat.

I prefer Brawl to Melee, also. And I really like PM. I don't get how people are still playing Melee when PM is clearly superior and fixes a lot of issues Melee and Brawl had. PM is a much more polished version of Melee. It is even more balanced.

I love Melee for what it is and for it's time, it was a good game. But outside of the competitive bubble, the game is one the most unpolished games published by Nintendo and it doesn't hold up well today compared to other games released at the time (Wave Race, Rogue Squadron, SSX Tricky). And it really shows that game was rushed merely to meet the launch of the Gamecube with that 13-month development cycle.

But Melee has the BEST intro. Really disappointed Smash 4 dropped the ball on that.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
There was a brawl tournament at my university last month where prizes were things like iPads and gift cards.

I didn't participate because of a very personal reason, but it seems to still be alive.

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
i havent played brawl since about september/october of last year tbh, ive played melee since then tho...

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
I used to play Brawl a lot a few years back (not competitively). But I moved on to Smash 4. I love Brawl a lot, but I really don't have the motivation to play it right now honestly.

Top Bottom