• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do People Ditto You On For Glory?

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
I've been ditto'd a couple times.

It happens whenever I play R.O.B. I use gyro and laser as combo starters which I can admit can be frustrating to deal with if you don't know how to power shield. So when the next round starts and my opponent decides to ditto, its really apparent that they do not know what they're doing..... I proceed to win a lobsided match and move on to someone else whose salt levels are not overloading...

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Happens to me quite often as a Link main. People think you just spam and swing your sword randomly to play him when really it's much more complicated than that lol.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be 2 stocking them as :4feroy:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I decide to hate myself and play FG, I like to go either all random or no one character for more than one game. Sometimes I go Little Mac, and when that happens, they usually go Mac as well in the next game. I don't know what it is about this character that people just HAVE to ditto him.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
On the 3DS version, I decided to ditto somebody with Lucina against his, with no success but I gave it everything I had. The only reason why I chose Lucina was because I also main her.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
I'm only ditto'd when they want to disrespect me...luckily I haven't lost any Bowser dittos but Mewtwo dittos are a lot harder for me.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Personally, I find it very charming when players ditto me after a loss. In my mind, It's just another opportunity for me to learn something new, if it presents itself of course. Most players that I meet however, often just switch to a hard counter against me, or, depending on the lag, switch to a projectile-based character in an attempt to strategically camp and frustrate me.
So True ... So True

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
Sometimes. But due to the nature of the characters I generally play, they really don't do that good. However, if I know they mean to have fun with the match, I'll have fun with them (One of my friends does this on occasion and I know that he's not taking it seriously when he does). If I know they mean to try inducing salt, or think that it'll make them suddenly get good results (no Shulk pun intended), then I'll just play my best and prove that I'm drawn to characters that take time to learn.

Racer07

Smash Cadet
NNID
MisterSeven
3DS FC
3797-7378-1855
A,B, and C have all happened. I never copy another player if I lost to them. I'll tell you this though, most of the time, these happen when I use Captain Falcon.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
A and B. B especially. My 1v1 buddies like to taunt the second round they switch to Marthcina because they like to think they play them better than me. I guess honestly I do lose the second round but it's all GG because they stay the same character third round, and that's when I end up two stocking them with :4link:.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I once ditto'ed a Marth after beating him with my Cloud. This was because I also play some Marth, and I really hate fighting Cloud with Marth myself. Guy destroys me first match because I'm still hitting down-B to charge a Limit meter I no longer have, but after a couple of matches I warm up and then it's back n forth for an hour. I *hope* he didn't think I was sandbaggin on him or anything; I just genuinely enjoy the Marth ditto, and just enjoy playing Marth in general outside a couple dozen MUs.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
When I play as Lucina, it's actually more common that my opponent switches to Marth or Roy than dittos Lucina herself.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I had this one guy recently who ditto me with Cloud after beating his Marth. Ended up losing to him two ditto matches in a row.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
It's usually A. People get the idea that they should be able to beat me at my own game, and that I only won because I'm using a stronger character.

I don't think I've lost a Ness ditto. :4ness:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I once ditto'ed a Marth after beating him with my Cloud. This was because I also play some Marth, and I really hate fighting Cloud with Marth myself. Guy destroys me first match because I'm still hitting down-B to charge a Limit meter I no longer have, but after a couple of matches I warm up and then it's back n forth for an hour. I *hope* he didn't think I was sandbaggin on him or anything; I just genuinely enjoy the Marth ditto, and just enjoy playing Marth in general outside a couple dozen MUs.
What does sand baggin mean?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
What does sand baggin mean?
Sandbagging means to intentionally play poorly. An example would be if I beat somebody really badly with Ryu, my main, so for the next game I decided to switch to Mr. Game & Watch, a character I know very little about, to make it harder for myself.

While it may not always be the intention, sandbagging is usually associated with attempting to disrespect your opponent.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I don't think I've ever had anyone try to ditto me out of spite. I have however been in situations similar to D, where someone is using my main and I have the urge to switch to them as well. I usually don't since it'll look like I'm trying to impersonate them.

Last edited:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
While I do not mind dittos too much (because hey, I can't forbid them to use my character) I also try my best not to make assumptions as well as to why they're doing it. Sometimes though there are some who are a little too obvious that they're doing it to prove something to you. In any case, yes I have been ditto'ed dozens of times on For Glory and I don't think it was always due to salt.

There were quite a few dittos where people clearly didn't know how to use the character I was playing, while other times there were some who completely ripped me apart. I've encountered dittos the most within 2V2 though, and they usually leave immediately after being beaten by +5 or more by me and my friend. I do have to wonder why people think they can ditto you when they have no knowledge of the character though. I can at least understand the ones that can obviously use them whether it's meant as an insult or not.

The main reason why I do not mind dittos though, is sometimes I can actually learn something from them.

When I'm on the other end though I try to be very careful. I know there's a lot of people who think of dittos as disrespectful so if I come across someone using my main I do try to stay away from them as much as possible. Sometimes though it can't exactly be avoided, and I have been insulted due to the fact I dittoed them despite maining that character. I never, ever mean any harm if I do it.

If I have to use that character I will. I don't see why I can't especially if that character is considered to be my best. Sometimes the ditto mentality sucks because of this. I don't want to be seen as those types of players when I'm forced to pick my main you're also using.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
It happens to me most often when I'm using Shulk. Why? Well because they can just pick him and constantly use Buster and Smash (which of course only hurts them) and throw out random Visions, which they do in response to me maybe tossing out one or two during our matche(s).

I think it goes without saying but they usually just end up eating charged Smash attacks and being unable to recover even at low percents because they A.) don't know to switch to Jump mid-air and B.) don't know to press B a second time during Air Slash.

Wow I was way saltier about that then I realized haha.

Last edited:

krosswerks

Smash Rookie
I have very rarely been ditto'd as Lucina, but people LOVE going Marth against me game 2 hehe

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Oh gosh I love when 'A' happens. I don't understand why a person who just got 2 stocked multiple times by a :4samus: thinks its because of my character that I won. Especially since 99% of the time I'm facing match ups that are severely difficult for Samus. A Samus ditto against someone who chose the 'A' option is the easiest Samus ditto ever. 99% of the time They don't know Samus AT ALL, leading to some devastating destruction.

I had option 'B' happen to me a couple times, but not often. It's rare to have anyone stoop down to "J Tier", unless they know what they're doing. Samus dittos are difficult given no one does particularly well for approaching the other. and a projectile war is pointless.

Option 'C' is even rarer, especially after the release of the backrooms tier list, but it still happens.

I never try to ditto anyone, I prefer to stick to what I know best, and learn more about the matchup I'm currently in, even if im losing horribly. As a low tier warrior your biggest advantage is MU knowledge. The fact I play as Samus people in FG sleep on me real hard. They dont fight too many Samus' given even i can count on one hand the total number of straight up Samus mains ive faced in FG, but Ive fought countless fox's, mario's, falcons, clouds, corrins, bayonettas, lucas', ness', ryu's, Ike's, and so on and so forth. That gives me a tremendous advantage and ill win pretty handily. and if i dont, I learn.

Pokedex649

Smash Cadet
It happens to me most often when I'm using Shulk. Why? Well because they can just pick him and constantly use Buster and Smash (which of course only hurts them) and throw out random Visions, which they do in response to me maybe tossing out one or two during our matche(s).

I think it goes without saying but they usually just end up eating charged Smash attacks and being unable to recover even at low percents because they A.) don't know to switch to Jump mid-air and B.) don't know to press B a second time during Air Slash.

Wow I was way saltier about that then I realized haha.
Wow, this exact stuff happens to me a LOT on the 3DS. What I do is just figure out how they play quickly, then have fun with it by devising a strategy (if using Utilt over and over again to see when they stop landing with Vision and Dair counts as "strategy") to see how long it takes for them to adapt

They never do

Last edited:

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I generally dislike it when I ditto people on For Glory, because most of the time, I can usually tell they don't even use my character. Meaning, A or B usually happens to me. C or D rarely happens. I remember this happening to me A LOT when I played on 3DS (not so much on Wii U).

Though, I don't mind the occasional Falcon ditto on any game, including this one.

Last edited:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I've been ditto'd a couple times while playing as Lucas. 9 times out of 10 I'm better though so I end up winning anyway. I really like fighting against other skilled Lucas's though. It's always a fun little challenge.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
I don't mind playing dittos, even if the opponent is salty, as long as they don't try to disrespect me in some way, ex: I SD or something happens in really awful lag and they taunt and say "u suck" "rekt" "git gud" and then leave...

Which is like 90% of the time on FG dittos or not, but still.

Generally, I respect other players until they either intentionally disrespect me or beat me with my main, as I often play with sub-mains first for the fun of it (though unless I'm super salty or think they might leave I don't immediately switch to the main) I feel bad because Shulk players especially probably assume I'm salt-picking at first, but then again I feel like my mobility as Shulk/Lucas/Samus make it obvious that I play those characters.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I've had some people ditto me on For Glory, although sometimes I can't tell if it's just out of sportmen ship or to mock me.

One time I beat a guy using :4ness: as I PK Thundered into sending them out of the stage. Next match starts and he also picks :4ness:. We mutual taunt and he spends a lot of the match trying to back throw me, even when I was at 0%. It's like "I'm not THAT bad with the back throw am I?"

Then there's times where me and my opponent unintentionally ditto, like one time I had a :4palutena: ditto not knowing my opponent was going to pick her too.

I DID want to do a :4pikachu: ditto with someone more so because after facing them once (and doing a poor job as the yellow rat, spamming side-B more than a Pikachu spams down-B) I felt like "Ok, let me show you how its done." and before I could they just leave. It made me very sad face.

Top Bottom