• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do People Ditto You On For Glory?

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I tryed to look for a thread like this but I couldn't really find one.:drshrug: So I thought I might as well start one.
Basically you're fighting somebody on FG either:
A. You beat them and they copy your character thinking that is why they lost or...
B. You lost and they decide to copy you or...
C. You go into a random match and end up using the same character without any fault or...
D. You see that the opponent is using your main and you decide to ditto them. (D suggested by Glazed_Soul)

What do you guys do when this happens? Usually it happens to me on both teams and solo. Most of the time it happens when I'm playing Shulk. I play other characters but it is most often with Shulk for the most part. For A I mostly just play normaly. But it is rare to see them on the same level with the character. One time I had a match where everybody picked Kirby.:kirby: I never had B happen to me but I heard that it has happen to other people. As for C one time I when into a match where 3 people was playing Shulk. Even rarer I ended up in a match with two Olimars and Two Shulks. It was like seeing two rare species of animal or something. I don't really do D that much because I think it makes me look salty when I'm not.:salt:
So has this kind of stuff ever happen to you?

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
It happened to me before... Twice. ^-^

The first time was against a Shulk user whose tag read "REYN TIME". I used Ike and defeated him/her. At the character select screen the tag was changed to "I LIKE IKE", and unsurprisingly, I fought that user's Ike next and bopped him/her as I did previously.

The second time was against a Bowser, who I won against as Ike. After that, the player chose Ike. We then had this ditto that went on for like five or so matches, and I bopped him/her every time. Both of us exchanged GGs when it ended. The player friended me afterward.

Also, players seem to have a tendency to taunt that the beginning of matches when they encounter a ditto match-up.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
It happened to me before... Twice. ^-^

The first time was against a Shulk user whose tag read "REYN TIME". I used Ike and defeated him/her. At the character select screen the tag was changed to "I LIKE IKE", and unsurprisingly, I fought that user's Ike next and bopped him/her as I did previously.

The second time was against a Bowser, who I won against as Ike. After that, the player chose Ike. We then had this ditto that went on for like five or so matches, and I bopped him/her every time. Both of us exchanged GGs when it ended. The player friended me afterward.

Also, players seem to have a tendency to taunt that the beginning of matches when they encounter a ditto match-up.
I actually sometimes use Ike with the tag "IF4MF". Most of the time I doubt people get the reference. But one time somebody actually chose Ike right after that. Too bad I hardly find Ike's online.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
there's nothing i hate more than mirror matches, if someone tried to ditto me on for glory i would try & find them
because 99% of the people on for glory as huge :GCA:holes

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
It only happens when I play Shulk, but I don't mind since Shulk dittos are tons of fun. The arts add a whole new dimension to the strategy since you have to counter your opponents. I tend to avoid For Glory though...

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Not likely considering who I play. But I did have two different people pull out Duck Hunts after playing mine once. Not sure what it meant. Both were about my skill level when it happened.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
Not very common for me.

A) happened twice early on the 3ds version, and they SDed twice

B) has never happened

C) has never happened

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
After roughly 2100 matches I can only recall it happening about 4 or 5 times in which they usually get 2-stocked. There was one person (Toonation from reddit?) I believe who picked the same color twice in a row (purely by chance) when I was playing as yoshi.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
It always makes me laugh when people try to play Robin after I beat them. I have yet to fight a Robin that is better than mine.

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
A) Happens sometimes.

B) Only happened one time.

C) I've played a lot of Falcon dittos. Games always start with both of us taunting. Gotta respect the Falcon code of honor.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I've had all three happen. I usually get excited when it does happen, as I don't get to fight ditto matches often. I need more practice against fighting myself, as I understand my disadvantages well but not sure how to exploit them yet when I share them with my target. So far I'm 50/50 win against dittos due to my lack of exposure to them, and hope to get good enough with them so when B) happens I can put the punk in his place.

When it's C or A, it feels more like an exhibition match. I test my opponent to see how much they know about Ike and may continue playing if they try to adapt and learn. The way I see it, they may find out they like playing Ike and I get to have more sparring partners/rivals. The B) option feels like they are trying to show off, so I'd like to feel like I can show them it's not as easy to play Ike as they want to have it appear to be.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Early on when the 3DS version came out and I wasn't sure how to handle Little Mac if I lost to one (dayum ko punch) I would use him and win over and over until the other person gave up, thought he was a solid character but I don't think he is at all now.

Now not so much, but being the Diddy Kong fan I am he's one of my mains so when I beat people with him they naturally choose Diddy as well and try to beat me, then leave when they still lose :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My opponent tends to ditto more so than me.
If I encounter a ditto, most of the time it happens at random rather than on purpose. If someone switches to one of my mains, I think it's because they want to practice with them or they want to "style" on me with my own character.
I only switch to a ditto against certain players to be quite honest.

Oddly enough, whenever I use Luigi, 90% of the time my opponent switches to Mario. It's like they are obligated to use him after encountering me. The Luigi vs. Mario match-up is the one I encounter the most for this reason (and because Mario is heavily used in this mode).

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
My opponent tends to ditto more so than me.
If I encounter a ditto, most of the time it happens at random rather than on purpose. If someone switches to one of my mains, I think it's because they want to practice with them or they want to "style" on me with my own character.
I only switch to a ditto against certain players to be quite honest.

Oddly enough, whenever I use Luigi, 90% of the time my opponent switches to Mario. It's like they are obligated to use him after encountering me. The Luigi vs. Mario match-up is the one I encounter the most for this reason (and because Mario is heavily used in this mode).
Wow that is just like how people switch to Dark Pit right when I use Pit on teams.:4darkpit:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
A.) Yes. And I love it. Yet to lose a mirror to my own character in this situation.
B.) Yes. And I think they are trying to be a jerk most of the time.
C.) Rarely but these are my favorite by far. They are usually a blast.

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
All these replies are interesting as for getting ditto by using certain characters. Nice to see new info since I don't use every single character in the game.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
The 1st and 3rd happen to me quite a bit. The 1st is especially stupid because sometimes when I beat people using Sheik, they try to use it afterwards and they suck so badly with the character that I actually feel offended lol

2nd option never really happened to me.

3rd option, yeah, I sometimes went with Sheik vs. Sheik or Marth vs. Marth (Fox vs. Fox a few times but I don't usually play Fox) just by pure coincidence, it's fun because you can't gauge your opponent's skill like you would if you played them when they were using a different character, so you don't know what to expect from them.

Sometimes I play with a character other than Sheik/Marth against someone who's using either of them, I win/lose, and then I switch to them to show off that I play the character better LOL. I'm such an asshole.

Last edited:

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I have encountered scenario A and scenario C.

In A's case, I just carry on as normal (unless they pick the same color, in which case I switch next match).

In C's case, I always open up with a taunt. Has happened to me with Zelda (wave hello) and Marth (up taunt) thus far.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
No one dares ditto my Shulk because they can't handle any non Backslash-crazy Bronados who actually use their Arts.

On a more serious note this only happened when I went with Little Mac to better this typical FG Mac after I trounced him a few times with Shulk. Needless to say after about 10 matches he finally did something different and performed a little better.

Khanjali

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-8711-2170
I ditto people if they are acting pretentious despite losing or are playing one of the characters I play in my normal online rotation. Most often its a Samus or Zero Suit ditto, and it's a tad depressing to see them attempt to literally ditto me or spam moves.

Others ditto me if they think they can beat me with my own character.
Doesn't work unless I'm playing Jiggly, and I just play Jiggly to even out my W/L rate XD.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
All the time!!!!! Whenever I win a best of three, the person has to be a troll and switches to duck hunt and goes to the edge and just spams projectiles. It pisses me off cause its like you're literally just wasting your time when you could actually try to get better

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
Every time that I play Ganondorf, they always switch to him after they lose. I only play him because it's always fun to hit some of his more disrespectful moves like his utilt, but my opponent ends up picking him and the match just gets boring. At higher percents, we pretty much wait it out on the ledge to try and go for the Ganoncide.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Every time that I play Ganondorf, they always switch to him after they lose. I only play him because it's always fun to hit some of his more disrespectful moves like his utilt, but my opponent ends up picking him and the match just gets boring. At higher percents, we pretty much wait it out on the ledge to try and go for the Ganoncide.
What makes a move disrespectful?

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
The ones that are ridiculously hard to pull off yet strong as hell, like Ganon's Warlock Punch/utilt or Falcon's Falcon Punch.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
The ones that are ridiculously hard to pull off yet strong as hell, like Ganon's Warlock Punch/utilt or Falcon's Falcon Punch.
I don't think those moves are disrespectful. If anything, those moves are the best cause when smashers do pull them off its incredible

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I don't think those moves are disrespectful. If anything, those moves are the best cause when smashers do pull them off its incredible
My definition for disrespect is when you pull stunts that would normally be harder to pull than any other move. Of course getting the read is harder but looks as you said incredible.
Examples of Ganondorf:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHmkKQDcOX0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy2FHHG0TGc
Just pure examples of disrespect in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_Xrts6S2k

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I finally had B happen to me today. It was a teams battle and a MK user joined the group. I Kirbycided him once and attempted it again. But he broke out so close to the blast line. I forgot he had multiple jumps left. So his team won. He switch to the golden butter Kirby(What I call yellow Kirby). The exact same alt. as mine. Slight up B spamage was enough to tell he wasn't the best with Kirby.
So we went to sudden death and I downB his partner right next to him(They both shielded in fear lol). Then Samus proceeded to grab him and ko the ditto. Ahh it was a work of art that sudden death.
The funny part is that he raged quit right after that. Too bad I wanted to go all Shulk on him to show I can use other characters.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
For me, a disrespectful move is when you opt out of using the most easy move to get the kill and instead go for one that is hard to pull off such as rather than using a Ganon forward smash when your opponent recovers, you kill them with his utilt, which takes better timing and leaves your wide open if you miss.

Glazed_Soul

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glazed_Soul
3DS FC
1263-6203-7457
A and B I'm pretty sure has never happened. I've had C happen quite a bit and I would say the W/L for those are 50/50. Also, if I may add a "D" option to this discussion, "have you even been beaten by someone using your main while you're fooling around and decide to switch to your main to show them who's the boss? I'm sure it happens to all of us, but I'm curious to see what comes from this. =)
My definition for disrespect is when you pull stunts that would normally be harder to pull than any other move. Of course getting the read is harder but looks as you said incredible.
Examples of Ganondorf:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHmkKQDcOX0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy2FHHG0TGc
Just pure examples of disrespect in general: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_Xrts6S2k
Uhh, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty positive I just saw myself get absolutely wrecked in the Wii U Ganondorf disrespect video. Watching that Weegee get destroyed gave me this strange feeling of nostalgia O_o.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Basically you're fighing somebody on FG either:
A. You beat them and they copy your character thinking that is why they lost or...
B. You lost and they decide to copy you or...
C. You go into a random match and end up using the same character without any fault.
A. Happened several times, but they still downright lose anyway.
B. I don't recall if anyone's ever done that, granted I don't lose that often.
C. Actually there's been a few matches where people have played the same color pink Yoshi in the first match. However dittos aren't too fun and they usually leave after. T_T

Last edited:

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
If I win too many times people will always try to:4rob: ditto me. He's not an easy character for beginners so more often than not they just get more frustrated or lose worse.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
After 2 wins with my main ill always switch between my lower favs, (around 7-8 characters) and sometimes its one the opponent used/uses , dittos happen and sometimes their the most epic fights

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
A. happened to me once, he tried counterpicking me with Rosalina after I beat his ness, then he switched to lucario and got 2 stocked.

I really don't take people on for glory serious, because most of them are just immature. taunting when nothing amazing happened, leaving after beating you once, changing name to "scrub, noob" etc.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
A. happened to me once, he tried counterpicking me with Rosalina after I beat his ness, then he switched to lucario and got 2 stocked.

I really don't take people on for glory serious, because most of them are just immature. taunting when nothing amazing happened, leaving after beating you once, changing name to "scrub, noob" etc.
Omg I go against people who ditto but not people that immature. Sorry you gotta go through that man

TotallyNotMikey

Smash Cadet
Warrington, Cheshire, North West of England.
Haha, yeah, dittos all the time when I kick there asses to the Mechonis with Shulk.

I beat 'em, they switch, they do terribly. It's just saltiness/disrespect.

After that I sometimes get some excuse in their name like 'You suck' or 'Noob' or 'Nice Lag'. Pretty silly, really.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I actually really despise dittos of any kind, especially Shulk dittos. I've dropped a ditto or two to a mediocre Shulk simply because I'm awful at the mirror. But then I just go Marth or Ike and mop them up since I can apparently punish a Shulk's habits with anyone other than Shulk.
I will say though, I've gotten salty enough at Rosaluma to actually pick the character myself (who I know nothing about) and take matches off of them just to prove a point. Not proud of it though. xD

Top Bottom