• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do People Ditto You On For Glory?

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Was using DH the other day and ran into another one, which was a little ironic since I almost never see them. Nevertheless, those were by far my favorite round of matches that I've played on FG.

Also a few days before that I was playing a Fox with my Zard, and SDed out of a grab on accident with Flare Blitz twice (I need to work on that). The guy then switched to a Charizard of his own, probably to prove something I dunno. He was quickly 2 stocked and left the game right after.

People are confusing.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
A. happened to me once, he tried counterpicking me with Rosalina after I beat his ness, then he switched to lucario and got 2 stocked.

I really don't take people on for glory serious, because most of them are just immature. taunting when nothing amazing happened, leaving after beating you once, changing name to "scrub, noob" etc.
haha. sounds like me. sometimes i ditto someone just for fun either because i get bored of how they play (too defensivly) (if i dont move no one moves) im like okay.. i guess idc anymore (not that i cant win i still have a chance its that whats the freaking point if they are going to play like that.) but then i just switch characters i dont really use just to do so even though ill loose with them.

and except i dont do that scrub/noob hing im not one of those douchebag for glory players aha

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
When I go against someone and they whupp my butt and they're using one of the characters i'm fluent with, I ditto them.

Elpeo Puru

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5043-3051-5146
C. and D.

My main isn't played online often, so I'm safe in that regard. Although one person decided to pick Marth after I beat him with Lucina, don't know if this counts.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As Rosalina and Mega Man, I had some of those not too long ago, both on 3DS and Wii U.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I'm gonna admit, I ditto people all the time! I find Dittos some of the most entertaining matches. I may be playing as Ike, and a Falcon appears to be my opponent. Immediately after the match, regardless of if I win or lose, I will switch to Falcon. Now, I only do this for certain characters such as Ike, Falcon, Ganon, Falco, Rosalina or Jigglypuff, but when the opportunity arises, I will go for the ditto!

To answer the OP though, yes people do ditto me occasionally as I am a Falcon main, and he's a rather common character.

Kojo

Smash Rookie
It happened once. They just ended up losing even faster because if I know my character it's pretty easy for me to also exploit its weaknesses.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Always ditto when I can. Either by accident or on purpose, dittos for everyone ^.^

It's more like a test of skill to see who's has the better knowledge of the game, character, and the player. If I win, huzzah! If I lose, I analyze my opponents play and my mistakes to see if I can improve.

They're really fun to see how you match up with others but it also provides a great way to improve your Smash play even more!

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
People ditto me all the time in cases A and B, and it drives me nuts. You'll just come across as a douche if you do that.
I however enjoy random encounter dittos, they are really fun when you know the opponent isn't trying to insult you by doing it. Yesterday I had D3 dittos for nearly an hour with the same guy, that was a lot of fun!

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
This is just me, but I usually take it as a sign of disrespect when they decide to choose a character that I was using when I lost. it's almost as if they're saying "hey you suck let me show you how to play this character"

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I too am like some of the above posters, in that I find :132: MUs to be incredibly enjoyable.

Though unlike the above posters, there are some Ditto MUs I crave more than others, and its :4bowserjr: and :4duckhunt: players I do that to more than others, for they are 1. my mains, 2. uncommon/rare, 3. ripe for tech sharing due to point 2 (ex. Side B Jump Cancels & the ability to jump attack towards or away from someone and yet still be able to move the Can), and 4. the Ditto MUs for them are among the most thrilling in all of Smash 4 to me.

The :4roy: :132: MU I see as a good ol' fashioned slugfest when both me and the opposing Jr.s use Side B Jump Cancels (which is a rare sight for me in reality. I've friended and squee'd over people who actually do it against me.), Side B through Mechakoopas, and are constantly jockeying for the high ground (particularly when chasing each other for the edgeguards [especially with Up B --> A Hammer!]).

The :4duckhunt: :132: MU I see as the classic rushdown VS turtler clash, akin to Ryu/Guile/Sagat VS Zangief/E. Honda/T. Hawk in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I myself am on the side of rushdown, for I forward shorthop travel WITH my wall of projectiles, and the majority of fellow DHes I've seen in FG Teams and FFA lean towards turtling (and standing still with nothing else out when they're B-pressing the Can and NOT edgeguarding-- *Cue the clip of AceStarThe3rd complaining about it in his Undefeatable series*).

I may also Ditto players of the more uncommon characters like :4drmario: (likely), :4alph: (extremely likely), :4wiifit: (very likely), among others, but I will say this: If I SEE a :4iggy: or :4duckhunt: in the room, I'll squee like the fanboy I am and hope that you're good with them (and that I'm not one of their bad MUs like :4wiifitm:, :4charizard:, :4marth:, etc.), and if those players stick around for the next round, win or lose, it's incredibly likely that I will switch to them. However, I do take a few seconds to consider whether or not to really go through with it, depending on who may or may not be in the room. I usually go straight for my mains when they do show up, but if certain bad MUs for them were in the last match (ex. :rosalina:, :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, etc), I wait a bit to see if a character switch or departure occurs on their end (which is much easier to tell in the 3DS version, where a solid white background = character switch, blinking white background = color switch [I personally do this EVERY single time I go another round as the same character.], and no white background = same character & color). If said bad MUs stick around, I'll likely risk challenging the bad MU, especially if it turns out the other :4lemmy: or :4duckhunt: player(s) stay as :4morton: or :4duckhunt:. Oh, and when I DO go for the Ditto, I try my hardest to pick an outfit that 1. my opponents are NOT using and/or have not used yet in a session (ex. Someone in the room was :4larry:, I pick :4ludwig: and hope he either stays as :4larry: or picks someone else that's not :4ludwig: as well, like :4wendy:), and 2. stand out enough for me to "Find Mii" (which gets really hard to do if I try to ditto :4ganondorf:, :4sonic:, or especially :4pacman:)

Since I'm most often in FG Teams, followed by FG FFA, and hardly ever FG 1v1 (unless it somehow happens in the FG FFA room), said dittos get pretty spicy with 1 to 2 other players in the room. XD

As for whether or not people Ditto me, it is not too often, considering who I main (:4ludwig: & :4duckhunt:) and sub (:4drmario:, :4wiifit:, :4zelda:, :4alph:, :4gaw:, :4dk:, :4robinf:, :4palutena:, etc). I suppose the allure of perceived easy wins with advantageous MUs and the raw difficulty of winning with the characters I play that are also uncommon or rare seem to sway them away from trying to Ditto me.

I imagine if I were to rep someone like :4falcon:, :4link:/:4tlink:, or :4ness: long enough in a session, I'd probably get everyone else in the room to join me in being them.... XD;

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I had another one just now. He used these characters in order: :4sheik:,:4ness:,:4megaman:,:4yoshi:and :4duckhunt:. I used these three characters to beat his ass: :4zelda:,:4littlemac:and :rosalina:. After that last match, he packed his bags and left.
As a dedicated :4megaman:(a.k.a Rosalina's adopted child) main myself, I should be offended he used him to ditto me.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's hard to ditto me when I change character every round. Then again, I haven't played online in months.

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
For some reason, I ALWAYS run into a bloody falco when I choose falco, OR THEY decide to ditto my falco. Considering I'm pretty good at him, maybe people wanted tips? Or they wanted to get their :GCA:ss cooked

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
When I get into a Ditto match, it's always someone who's seemingly mastered every character in the game and goes out of their way to make things miserable for me. Why can't it go nicely rather than the other person being a douche about it and going into tryhard mode?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
All of the above except C, all of the time. It's a little insulting when the other is the one who chose to do dittos and is visibly bad, though.

Ganondorf is a really common one for some unknown reason. They're usually really bad players, too. They often don't realise that you can't hold the ledge forever, too. *shrug*

-and what makes it extra insulting is that in the case of Doc Mario, they'll often choose normal Mario... It's like players don't even know the differences. Still, they're often basically free wins, so who cares?

Gamin'Snow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Snowcracker
Lesse... Me playing slightly less common characters, I don't get dittos that often, sadly.
I have run into A and B more than I would like to admit though, especially as Kirby. I have yet to really do D because I feel it makes me look salty, even though I'm not.
C is always the most fun and tends to be when I learn the most too. Heck, I ran into an amazing Kirby today by pure coincidence and had so much fun! Now if only C would happen more often...

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
What's funny is when they decide to ditto you after winning (for the dissrespect) or after losing (because salt), but you end up winning. Most of the time they just switch back to the other character or leave.

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
Personally, I find it very charming when players ditto me after a loss. In my mind, It's just another opportunity for me to learn something new, if it presents itself of course. Most players that I meet however, often just switch to a hard counter against me, or, depending on the lag, switch to a projectile-based character in an attempt to strategically camp and frustrate me.

Shakes

Smash Rookie
It's seems whenever I go random, the other guy will mirror the previous character I had in the next match. This happens whether I win or lose so it's hard to tell when point they're trying to make.

"LEt me SHow you hOW to REALLLLY play This CharACTer!"

Ok bro.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
D, fairly often (having 3 mains skews the odds towards it happening, except none of my mains are that common in FG). Mewtwo is such a good CP against mewtwo.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I've been repping :4zelda: & :4charizard: more often these days, since Zelda's FSmash & Phantom Knight, and Zard's DTilt & FAir got buffed, and between the two, folks do seem more eager to ditto my Zard than Zelda, DH, & :4ludwig:. Maybe it's because Zard's an easier char to handle than Zelda & my two other mains-- I guess I'll admit to Zard being my 3rd main at this point. Maybe Zelda's my 4th? :o Anyway, Zard's Sliding Rock Smash is apparently easier to do than Jr's Side B JCs and DH's arsenal traveling, even though the price for dropping the input is an accidental Flare Blitz, which certainly has cost me & my teammates points. Maybe it's that 1st gen appeal and him being one of the fastest (on the ground) heavyweights around (:4iggy:'s up there if Side B JCs are used.). When I DO get :132:'d, to put it lightly, the Ditto-ers make more frequent use of Flare Blitz than I do. Other Pogeymanz do seem to show up more often as well....
At least :4sonic:s are less terrifying with Zard than with DH. Even :4yoshi:es and :rosalina:s seem to fall easier with him than with Ludwig too... Perhaps the buffs really ARE as real as I claimed them to be in that Wii U FG 1v1 replay I posted with me as Zard VS a Yoshi....

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Since I main Falcon, dittos are unfortunately very common.
On the bright side, I win almost all of them. The chance of me running into one that's actually good/doesn't just dash attack and grab is pretty rare.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just a while back, I had two people who went Mac ditto on my face after I whooped their asses with him. So we had our ditto matches and, in the end, the referee raises my hand in the air as the winner. After that, I switched to my main, Rosalina, and continued to be the dominant vato loco.

Last edited:

epicsprinkles

Smash Rookie
NNID
zekurokuxakuroku
3DS FC
5086-2578-1204
I always do that :chuckle: normally what will happen is i'll fight an beat someone and then if they used someone i happen to main, i'm like "oh another person who mains this guy!!" and then i ditto. sometimes ill even SD to make the match end so we can BOTH be a character (assuming that they stay). even even more fun when they use like a lucina or falco or dark pit and im like mmm YES!

Disgaea D2

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueDisgaeaD2
I've had incidents where there's G&W dittos after the person loses. Usually I lose one stock but still win. This ditto is where you can actually get away with winning against a G&W main because of jank in G&Ws moves. People rarely encounter a good G&W or even a G&W player at all on FG. IMO, whichever G&W knows their grab combos is considered the better G&W even if you lose or not.

LMarucha

Smash Rookie
NNID
LMarucha
Not counting coincidences, yes. That happened to me sometimes. The following happened to me:

1. I kept winning matches and the player ditto me. Ether to win or as an insult to who can use the better character I can't say.

2. I lost a match or two and the player ditto me, probably to show off that he/she can use the character better. I usually tend to win these matches because the other player's not familiar with the character. XD

3. Ditto matches because the character is a main of the players. This one's rare because I tend to main mid to low tier characters (Zelda, Kirby, Mewtwo, Palutena) with the exception of Roy who I recently picked up.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Minus the Ryu encounters, for obvious reasons - Either C or D, though rarely.

It's unlikely for me to bump into a ditto, cause no one cares about Lucario (and I say this due to their scarcity... I feel lonely...) Granted I have met a few by coincidence, but it has mostly been a barrage of Rosas, Villagers *twitch*, and Zamus for me. Very few have dared.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I had a lot of Ryu dittos when he was first released, but now that the hype is starting to die down I'm seeing him far less often. This doesn't really surprise me that much due to how different he plays and how difficult it is to score kills at times. I still see one occasionally, but the other three DLC characters are far more common.

My other main Palutena is also near nonexistent as always. I saw one earlier today, but it was obvious he had never played the character before when he switched to her. He was literally just trying to copy whatever I was doing without any context (for example, he always tried to use autoreticle right after me, but where I used it as a long range harassment tool he tried to zone me with it). I love the Palutena ditto, but flowchart Palutenas are completely boring.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
When it comes to option C. I love and enjoy dittos. Especially since Ike players are rare so when I come across someone who plays him extremely well I get super excited! It took losing to a very good Ike for me to learn to make better use of his tilts and less of his more 'punishing' moves. It helped to improve my Ike game. So I greatly enjoy learning from ditto match ups.

On the other hand dittos are only fun to me when it's random in a, 'Oh look we picked the same character!' type of way. That way you know the person actually does indeed play that character and aren't just switching to them after being salty from a loss from said character.

In cases in option A. Most of the Ikes were just outright bad and embarrassing to fight. It's more funny than anything of course. What I do hate though is when people switch to your main and then pick the exact freaking color. That feels more mocking than anything. Usually I end up switching my color the next match cause I just find it stupid.

I remember one genius who lost to me in a team battle and then also switched to Ike with the white palette to ditto me and next match we ended up as partners. All I could remember thinking was, 'Wow. Thanks for completely screwing us over.' lol. Not only was he bad with Ike, but the similar color made it hard to know who the freak was who in pivotal recovery moments.

On a similar note I remember heading into a match and meeting another white palette Ike. I, as per usual, decide to switch next match to make it less confusing. So I picked the red scheme. Head on into the match to see that Ike also switched to red. Now that was hilarious.

Born in 1839...

Smash Apprentice
The character I use mostly is R.O.B.
Not many players will Mirror during this occasion because R.O.B. is rare. Players don't pick him very often.
If I decide to copy the opponent's character, I will always copy their color, as well. (Unless I specifically don't like the color they are using.)

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Just today, I was matched with this guy who started with Sheik (I was playing my main, Iggy, the whole time). I 2-stocked him, so he switched to Sonic. At this point, I'm thinking he's one of those For Glory users who only use top-tiers for the sake of using top-tiers. I 2-stock him again so he switches to Rosalina. They take a stock this time due to a footstool, but I still won. So after this match, they decide to pick Bowser Jr.
At this point, I'm pretty amused.

Hardly anyone knows how to play as Bowser Jr., so I'm thinking this is going to be pretty funny to watch them try to play as Bowser Jr.
I wasn't disappointed. Match was 20 seconds. He left.

:4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy:

Last edited:

Machii

Smash Apprentice
There is no better way to improve skill with a single character than playing ditto's with them.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Just today, I was matched with this guy who started with Sheik (I was playing my main, Iggy, the whole time). I 2-stocked him, so he switched to Sonic. At this point, I'm thinking he's one of those For Glory users who only use top-tiers for the sake of using top-tiers. I 2-stock him again so he switches to Rosalina. They take a stock this time due to a footstool, but I still won. So after this match, they decide to pick Bowser Jr.
At this point, I'm pretty amused.

Hardly anyone knows how to play as Bowser Jr., so I'm thinking this is going to be pretty funny to watch them try to play as Bowser Jr.
I wasn't disappointed. Match was 20 seconds. He left.

:4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy::4iggy:
Had basically the opposite experience today, just same end results. Some Mac player beat me pretty fairly (He was good. I know, shocking already.) in a game - close call. Then he swaps to ditto me as Roy for some reason, gets an early lead, then I take both of his stocks within a minute because he didn't know the up-B was super-gimpable and that side-B's jump was stealable. He quit right after.

People really need to git gud as Koops if they wanna ditto.

:4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Had basically the opposite experience today, just same end results. Some Mac player beat me pretty fairly (He was good. I know, shocking already.) in a game - close call. Then he swaps to ditto me as Roy for some reason, gets an early lead, then I take both of his stocks within a minute because he didn't know the up-B was super-gimpable and that side-B's jump was stealable. He quit right after.

People really need to git gud as Koops if they wanna ditto.

:4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy::4roy:
I mean, hey, if they want to keep doing it, then by all means do it. It provides free entertainment for those few of us who main the character and actually know how they work :^)

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I've had "C" happen to me a few times as Shulk and Captain Falcon. I've only had "A" happen to me once as Shulk and it was very clear that the guy had no idea what he was doing.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
A few times, yes.

Usually happens when I'm playing Wario, though. He's one of my better characters in the game, and I recall one occasion where I had a Dedede ditto too.

I pretty much never choose the same character my opponent is playing if I've lost to avoid looking like I'm raging, unless I've only lost to him once or my opponent switches characters.

If I've run into someone who's showing signs of friendliness or respect though (usually in 1v1 on For Glory) I might switch to my opponent's character just for the hell of it. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom