• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Sora isn't even out and there's already Ultimate Deluxe speculation?

Do you people even realize the legal nightmare that Ultimate was to begin with? They'd have to go through it all again if they want a DX version, and this might not be the most worthwile investment for Nintendo to do, especially when we have cases of characters who took YEARS to pull off, like Steve and Sora.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Platinum couldn't get the keys to Takamaru, I'm incredulous Suda would. But hey, who would've pegged WayForward getting Advance Wars, right?

Takamaru is fine but

but

m o l e
Someone has just fallen out of a tree they were hanging onto by their tail and is scurrying over to agree with you.

Shroob

Sup?

Guys, do you even realize the legal nightmare that Ultimate was to begin with? They'd have to go through it all again if they want a DX version, and this might not be the most worthwile investment for Nintendo to do, especially when we have cases of characters who took YEARS to pull off, like Steve and Sora.
Well

What if they penned the contract ahead of time? :4pacman:

Even though I don't think we're going to see Smash for a long, looooooooooooooong time now, is it not theoretically possible to pen a contract 'for the immediate future', as in, if they already had a DX version planned at the time of a deal being made?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
As the owner of the Sukapon thread, I can honestly say Takamaru is my most-wanted first-party period - not even just my most wanted retro Nintendo character. I dunno he is cool samurai man and I would very much enjoy seeing him get his chance

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, it's honestly ridiculous to think about how much stuff in Ultimate makes it feel like it's a Brawl mod.

Makes me wonder if Sakurai kept an eye on the modding scene.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did keep an eye on it. Project M did get enough fame that Nintendo's response was largely to ban any mention of it in Miiverse and label it as "criminal activity" with all that entails - I strongly doubt this escaped Sakurai's notice. That's not the sole reason he may have kept an eye on the modding scene though: there's been a significant number of Smash mods / fangames to begin with (Project M itself effectively became a hydra spawning several successor mods) and at least one of Ultimate's playtesters has played mods like Project M: I'm referring to aMSa.

That said, I'm not gonna try and guess how Sakurai personally feels about modding (or modding Smash). That's not the kind of stuff he'd eagerly disclose because modding is seen in a negative light in Japan (to the point where it's recently become illegal to modify consoles). aMSa lays low with that for the same reasons.

Now, what do you figure the chances of a new Sega rep in the next Smash game are?

I think another Sonic character or Billy Hatcher are the most likely by far. :roll:
If I may haphazardly jump into this:

It's a really difficult call to make, since SEGA doesn't lack solid choices. You've got franchises like Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, VF, PSO etc. whom have solidified their respective legacies and could be intriguing options in their own right. While a second Sonic character looks on the surface as the bonafide bet... I probably would've said the same before :ultjoker: showed up. On that note, SMT's main franchise could still get in, although that's a major question mark given the original plans for that game. And that's not getting into SEGA's myriad of wildcards like NiGHTS.

So in the end, I'm kinda leaning towards Arle / Kiryu but only by very slight margins.

Also, total sidenote (and it seems I was kinda mistaken on an earlier post):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The fact that :ultsora: has (presumably) wound up with the same weight as :ultsephiroth: is amazing.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well

What if they penned the contract ahead of time? :4pacman:

Even though I don't think we're going to see Smash for a long, looooooooooooooong time now, is it not theoretically possible to pen a contract 'for the immediate future', as in, if they already had a DX version planned at the time of a deal being made?
Take off your tinfoil hat, Shroob.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Forgive my ignorance of the intracies of internet multiplayer, but is there a way that the general infrastructure of Nintendo's online services could be somewhat improved and are implemented in a backwards compatible Switch 2... that would still work with Smash Ultimate more or less as it is?

Because depending on the contracts, that would probably be the most optimal solution for Nintendo till the next entry hits; the same SSBU that they wouldn't have to renegotiate for while giving fans a compelling reason to get the next Switch because it offers a better online experience with it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Forgive my ignorance of the intracies of internet multiplayer, but is there a way that the general infrastructure of Nintendo's online services could be somewhat improved and are implemented in a backwards compatible Switch 2... that would still work with Smash Ultimate more or less as it is?

Because depending on the contracts, that would probably be the most optimal solution for Nintendo till the next entry hits; the same SSBU that they wouldn't have to renegotiate for while giving fans a compelling reason to get the next Switch because it offers a better online experience with it.
Well first you'd need Switch 2 to have Ultimate, but if it does yes.
PS5 has fighting games that are crossplay between the same games' version on the PS4.

Online though is gonna be the same or of similar quality until they target explicitly that lol. Generations don't matter in that regard.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nintendo does know how hard it was to get all these IPs. It is possible they’ve cut a couple deals if Ultimate DX is intended to be like a launch title for the Switch 2.

This is a stretch on multiple levels, though surely Sakurai and Nintendo have some idea to top Ultimate, right?
…maybe? I could see that being the case

but another reason I’d prefer Ult DX is not just for the additional characters, but other side content getting tweaked, maybe added like Break the Targets, and in the case of that utterly useless VR Mode, removed and maybe give Young Link and Richter new Final Smashes at least, Fierce Deity and Hydro Storm respectively

and of course better online which doesn’t seem possible the way Ultimate is now

like. I can think of ways to improve WoL map wise, actually put Ult’s DLC on said maps maybe even a third cosmic being along the lines of Galeem and Dharkon, rearrange some of the spirits… more equal spirit representation too, like games with only one spirit get more you may have an idea of at least one game I’m referring to

and also one more Indie Brawler Mii and two Indie Swordfighter Miis with music. COMPLETE THE TRIFECTA.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’ve wit

Do you people even realize the legal nightmare that Ultimate was to begin with? They'd have to go through it all again if they want a DX version, and this might not be the most worthwile investment for Nintendo to do, especially when we have cases of characters who took YEARS to pull off, like Steve and Sora.
I’ve seen sakurai get Steve, sephiroth, cloud and sora all in 1 game. At this point sakurai can pull anything off if he wants to.

except Geno. I’ll die on the hill that square Enix will never let that doll come back to life.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ve wit

I’ve seen sakurai get Steve, sephiroth, cloud and sora all in 1 game. At this point sakurai can pull anything off if he wants to.

except Geno. I’ll die on the hill that square Enix will never let that doll come back to life.
Geno couldn’t even come back for the 3DS remaster of Superstar Saga despite him being in the GBA original so I think that speaks volumes

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Geno couldn’t even come back for the 3DS remaster of Superstar Saga despite him being in the GBA original so I think that speaks volumes
think that is more to do with alphadream being bankrupt whilst making the remake than square Enix being stingy but I still can’t ever see the god puppet being brought back to life

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I very much doubt we'll get a Deluxe Ultimate, I do think they're going to start fresh next time and that holding on to a DX version is wanting to hold on to a roster we'll likely not see the likes of again for many many years, which I get, but I know that the prospect will nevertheless remain of fixture of discussion for several years to come. On the other hand, I won't, so I'll entertain it for fun, whatever.

I think they probably just didn't want to pay for him since SS remake was probably a budget title and acquiring him for that simple cameo wasn't worth it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did keep an eye on it. Project M did get enough fame that Nintendo's response was largely to ban any mention of it in Miiverse and label it as "criminal activity" with all that entails - I strongly doubt this escaped Sakurai's notice. That's not the sole reason he may have kept an eye on the modding scene though: there's been a significant number of Smash mods / fangames to begin with (Project M itself effectively became a hydra spawning several successor mods) and at least one of Ultimate's playtesters has played mods like Project M: I'm referring to aMSa.

That said, I'm not gonna try and guess how Sakurai personally feels about modding (or modding Smash). That's not the kind of stuff he'd eagerly disclose because modding is seen in a negative light in Japan (to the point where it's recently become illegal to modify consoles). aMSa lays low with that for the same reasons.

If I may haphazardly jump into this:

It's a really difficult call to make, since SEGA doesn't lack solid choices. You've got franchises like Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, VF, PSO etc. whom have solidified their respective legacies and could be intriguing options in their own right. While a second Sonic character looks on the surface as the bonafide bet... I probably would've said the same before :ultjoker: showed up. On that note, SMT's main franchise could still get in, although that's a major question mark given the original plans for that game. And that's not getting into SEGA's myriad of wildcards like NiGHTS.

So in the end, I'm kinda leaning towards Arle / Kiryu but only by very slight margins.

Also, total sidenote (and it seems I was kinda mistaken on an earlier post):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The fact that :ultsora: has (presumably) wound up with the same weight as :ultsephiroth: is amazing.
:ultsephiroth:: Cloud is fat! Haha!
:ultcloud:: Shut up Sephiroth! You're always so mean to me! You burn down my hometown, you kill my girlfriend and now you're calling me fat? I wish you were never in Smash Bros!
(Cloud runs away crying)

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think it's a tad too early to be talking about an Ultimate DX, lol.

That said...

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nah we're not seeing this roster ever again, lol. I could maybe see Nintendo trying to keep the big characters in, as having their foot in the door already helps with keeping characters like Cloud, Sephiroth, Hero, and Sora, but honestly, it just depends on where Nintendo is at the time of the next Smash and where other companies are with their properties. A lot can happen over the course of like, the 5+ years Smash will probably be dormant for. Heck, who even knows if Sakurai will come back: He may well and truly be done this time. pffffffffffttttt hahahaha no he'll be back, but still

The way I see it, I say appreciate Ultimate for what it is rather than worry about the future. Even if your favorite doesn't come back in a new title, the very fact they're in a Smash Bros. mean s you'll always have access to them, and TBH Ultimate's shelf life will go well beyond official content: Once the final patch drops and the game is truly done done? We'll see the modding scene take off, and that alone will keep this game alive for a very, very long time.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
So wait, what’s happening with Takamaru? I actually do want him to be playable and I’m missing something here

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And yet there's been plenty of Japanese mods for San Andreas, ironically enough. Mostly involving Touhou.
It's seen in a negative light because it's literally illegal.

But something being illegal never stopped it from being actually done by people. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So wait, what’s happening with Takamaru? I actually do want him to be playable and I’m missing something here
Opossum was pointing out the awful luck Takamaru's had this past decade. Then people decided he/a Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot would be cool.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Opossum was pointing out the awful luck Takamaru's had this past decade. Then people decided he/a Mysterious Murasame Castle reboot would be cool.
Thank you!
And yes I agree. I downloaded the port on my 3ds earlier this year. It’s great and would’ve been accepted and even beloved by young Americans in the 80s no doubt.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think it's a tad too early to be talking about an Ultimate DX, lol.

That said...

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nah we're not seeing this roster ever again, lol. I could maybe see Nintendo trying to keep the big characters in, as having their foot in the door already helps with keeping characters like Cloud, Sephiroth, Hero, and Sora, but honestly, it just depends on where Nintendo is at the time of the next Smash and where other companies are with their properties. A lot can happen over the course of like, the 5+ years Smash will probably be dormant for. Heck, who even knows if Sakurai will come back: He may well and truly be done this time. pffffffffffttttt hahahaha no he'll be back, but still

The way I see it, I say appreciate Ultimate for what it is rather than worry about the future. Even if your favorite doesn't come back in a new title, the very fact they're in a Smash Bros. mean s you'll always have access to them, and TBH Ultimate's shelf life will go well beyond official content: Once the final patch drops and the game is truly done done? We'll see the modding scene take off, and that alone will keep this game alive for a very, very long time.
I have to agree with this.

Ultimate is an unprecendented crossover with its absolute madness of a character roster. And fighting game rosters that bring literally everyone are rare. I can only think of MK Armageddon and Marvel 2 when it comes to other games that have done this level of ambition in the past two decades aside from Ultimate. They're incredibly rare.

And in the eventuality that we get an Ultimate DX or that the next Smash game really does continue where Ultimate left off... Yeah, it'd be amazing to see that happen, but it wouldn't give us the same sense of magic and wonder because Ultimate did it first. Things just aren't the same when they've been done before.

This game truly is a one-of-a-kind event we'll never get to experience with the same raw emotions ever again, so the best thing to do is not to wish it had more, but appreciate what we got. Because something as incredible as this will never be felt the same way ever again, and that if it even happens again to begin with.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
MK Armageddon
It says a lot when MK9 was only able to do Everyone Is Here for the first three games. Granted it was supposed to be a reboot of those three anyway, but still, they needed to dial it down to be able to have things like character-specific fatalities again.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It says a lot when MK9 was only able to do Everyone Is Here for the first three games. Granted it was supposed to be a reboot of those three anyway, but still, they needed to dial it down to be able to have things like character-specific fatalities again.
It was also always part of the plan to have Armageddon be the big send-off before rebooting everything.

I can see Smash follow the same path.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
So it seems like people are missing the trailer's obvious symbolism with their doomer mindset in regards to the franchise's future with Nintendo. Sure everybody is entitled to their own interpretations of the trailer and one could argue all of this exclusively applies to Ultimate but I will nonetheless state what I found to be the message behind the trailer.

First it harkens back to the initial reveal. The Inkling of course represents the audience's (and more precisely the newer generation's specific feelings in this regard) awe of the scale, legacy and overall prestige of Smash. Having this call back from the beginning right at the end solidifies this to me because it's basically equating the initial "hype" of learning of the existence of "Smash 5" and its inherent vagueness at the time with the final character reveal for Ultimate as we now would know it today.

Then to the audiences' despair the iconic Smash emblem almost completely extinguishes with only a final flame left obviously representing the final challenger (that we know now is Sora) in the game. They all turn back into trophies/toys and this represents how we all dread Smash going back into hibernation and how sad we are that this good thing has just now come to an end.

Of course we have to finish this trailer so of course Mario (Nintendo basically) wakes up to this desperate situation to find said single flame. The uneasiness of Mario approaching the flame could represent Nintendo's overall uneasy relationship with their creation but I don't know about that and it's just something I felt like I read between the lines there.

Mario throws the flame (Keyblade) and of course we get our triumphant reveal and it's hype! Nintendo learned their lesson and delivered the character of many's dreams. Sora himself is probably the most well-known video game crossover character finally arriving to the ultimate video game crossover. To me this signals that Nintendo might finally start to be understanding what the appeal of Smash is a lot better now with Sakurai basically spelling it out for them with the "Smash Ultimate CROSS insert franchise here" shtick.

Anyways Sora does his gameplay footage thing and of course the music swells and he poses with the likes of Peach, Pikachu and Inkling basically any and all of Nintendo's/Square's major players in the game. A big gesture on Nintendo's part to Disney.

Finally the ending is where we should all rejoice. Without Sakurai directly saying it it's pretty obvious what the end means. Mario the first character made for Smash is shaking hands with the most current character made for Smash. I almost feel like it's meant to "kind of" represent Nintendo committing to the fans of Smash but obviously people will just say it's another nice gesture from Nintendo to Disney to help solidify their business relationship. I think it could be both.

So now not only has the firey emblem (lol) return in all of its glory but it's almost glowing even brighter with its glare reflecting upon the entire cast of Smash and who else better to witness this than EVERYONE from Smash? It might not literally be everyone in model but the crowd definitely is meant to represent the entire cast of Smash.

I'm pretty confident it's Sakurai reassuring everyone visually that he understands how important Smash is to gamers and how important "Everyone is Here!" is to Smash players and that Nintendo is improving in their understanding of the game.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
you mean interview at Atlus?

Also do you have links?
no I mean the joker styled presentation. You know, the one where someone else talks over the gameplay footage rather than sakurai. It literally costed way too much so they had to think off something else and people just ended up going with sakurai for budget reasons and because people loved hearing sakurai talk about it.

mess something that was said early on into the first pass and then was brought up to some capacity in sora’s presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom