• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I honestly can't see that happening. The Switch is already in the latter half of its life cycle. Unless Nintendo is okay porting Ultimate to their next system, I can't imagine them going for a third season, especially when this Pass has already run way past its course due to time.
I can sooner see them porting Ultimate with more content to the next console, than a third pass

it’s my hope too. Besides, there’s still some placeholders in the executable after DLC ends. If a port happens they can pick up where they left off

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Uhhh don’t mind me just staking out Brushie’s Reddit page in case they leak the final character

please be someone I want…

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Party time!

:roll:

If anything, Ultimate will continue to be played on a large scale for years to come and will most likely influence where Smash 6 goes (whether mechanics that improve on things or new mechanics alltogether, or new characters etc.).

Tomorrow is when Ultimate ends, yes. But it's also when its post-CP 11 legacy begins.

Here.

It's his hope. He does mention that since it's most likely the End a lot of people are going to be angry regardless of who it is. That's pretty much why he hopes there'd be more - but he accepts that it's most likely the End. He sees FP3 as a way to continue supporting the game and at least keep the hope alive.

"I'm more in it for the spectatle of the situation."
My homelands party music is a work of art.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as realistic hopes, I think just want two things; a few bonus stages (perhaps some from the old games that haven't come back) and a really big "holy ****" character to end Ultimate. Even if it was someone like a Sora, or Kratos, or a Master Chief that I personally wouldn't be as into, it would be a nice feeling that the final big enduring reaction to the game was people being unbelievably hyped that such a majorly cool fighter got in as the last DLC. One last Joker/Banjo/Sephiroth level cheer throughout much of the internet?

That would be enough for me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I will say that the timing of this Direct really has its upside, because if even tomorrow features a fighter I'm not interested in or even outright dislike...

Super Monkey Ball and Metroid Dread are out this week, so there's plenty of fun experiences ahead to easily make up for whatever disappointment might happen.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Does anyone know if after this final character is revealed they will still be making new spirit battles, or will this DLC finally make it so I can complete that part of the game 100%?

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Remember when Alpharad and Max Dood randomly said they "knew" who the final character was?
Just for giggles, I went to Max's last stream to see what he said.

He's hoping for... and listen to this.. a new pass.
So like the final character tomorrow is like the first character of the next pass. Ik, it's weird.
But he's NOT predicting this. Get the difference lol

He starts talking about this around 8.5 minutes into his last Twitch stream.
starting to get Rapper Mario vibes here.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I can sooner see them porting Ultimate with more content to the next console, than a third pass

it’s my hope too. Besides, there’s still some placeholders in the executable after DLC ends. If a port happens they can pick up where they left off
I can see this happening as well. I think Ultimate will be hard to follow-up and it is sometimes easier to port an old game and add to it than to start again from scratch. I also think this is Sakurai's last Smash Brothers.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm concerned that they didn't bother showing Advance Wars in the Direct. Not like there's gonna be another before it comes out.

Because I really wouldn't mind if this game actually succeeded, and then we got more. Hot take, I know.
remakes Advance Wars
doesn't tell Japan
tells America exactly once before shadow dropping it
"Huh. I guess people just don't like Advance Wars."

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm concerned that they didn't bother showing Advance Wars in the Direct. Not like there's gonna be another before it comes out.

Because I really wouldn't mind if this game actually succeeded, and then we got more. Hot take, I know.
If the Advance Wars Remake fails, then I blame the fans. Everything from the trailers has looked incredible so far.

It's a miracle the franchise is back. Please don't waste it.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
remakes Advance Wars
doesn't tell Japan
tells America exactly once before shadow dropping it

"Huh. I guess people just don't like Advance Wars."
I mean, they pretty much did this with with Rhythm heaven megamix. At e3 2015 treehouse they just said "oh btw that rhythm game that we showcase in the march direct released today on the eshop with no plan for a physical release".

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I have mixed feelings about the idea of an Ultimate port.
On one hand, Nintendo never releases Smash in the latter half of a console's life (64 happened two years into the N64 life, Melee in the same release year as the GC, Brawl two years after the Wii and so on), and it'd be way easier to just port the whole roster than having to make a new one from scratch.
On the other hand though, would Nintendo honestly go through the hassle of making new deals with all these companies for such port? Somethng not impossible, but hard to believe.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think people don't understand how "hype responsibly" means.

It's not some killjoy, don't get excited at all, mantra.

It means that if something happens to ruin the excitement, then react in a mature way.
I think it went from that to "don't get too excited so you're not disappointed" to "don't get excited" to "actively be disappointed beforehand".

Which...actually, doesn't that last one defeat the purpose? lol

But yeah. "Drink responsibly" meant "don't get blackout drunk in a bar and go pee on someone else's car" not "don't drink". lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On one hand, Nintendo never releases Smash in the latter half of a console's life (64 happened two years into the N64 life, Melee in the same release year as the GC, Brawl two years after the Wii and so on), and it'd be way easier to just port the whole roster than having to make a new one from scratch.
On the other hand though, would Nintendo honestly go through the hassle of making new deals with all these companies for such port? Somethng not impossible, but hard to believe.
Ultimate made them crazy moolah so re-negotiating shouldn’t be that hard

also re: promotion of games - good thing YouTube gaming and Twitch exists. Free advertisement!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And the next Nintendo console might have backwards compatibility with the Switch and thus can play Ultimate as is.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I am so excited about tomorrow. But you know what I want when it all ends? I want more Smash Machinima. This roster is too good for no Machinimas to take advantage of it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the Advance Wars Renake fails, then I blame the fans. Everything from the trailers has looked incredible so far.

It's a miracle the franchise is back. Please don't waste it.
The fans are part of it but so far Nintendo sure hasn't done much to help spotlight it. Granted, they have other games coming out first, and it makes sense those are the current focus, so I'll reserve judgment until closer to release, but as of yet... they're not doing enough to help this game get noticed.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I was initially all in on wanting an Ultimate Port, but I’m not so sure now.

The game has kinda run its course and while still a lot of fun, new consoles and waiting a while for the next Smash just to be hit with “heres the same thing as last time” might be kinda disappointing if some big changes aren’t introduced.

That and Ultimate sold gangbusters, I have a feeling the port won’t go down well with the casual audience because they’ve already played it.

But still, I also don’t want to see this colossus of a roster leave. I want to see “Smash Bros: The Top 100” or some other crazy amount of characters.

Nobody, not even Sakurai, knows how to top Ultimate. But they’re gonna have to, someday.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
The Advance Wars situation is kind of strange. Clearly it was selling in NA, or it wouldn't have warranted four games during that period, six if you count the Battalion Wars games (meaning that even Battalion Wars sold well enough to warrant a sequel in their eyes). And that was without an initial Japanese release for three of those games. If Days of Ruin had been successful, they probably would have just kept having IS develop more games, while marketing them primarily to NA and hoping that someday they could leverage one of the games to be popular in Japan, maybe with a romance system, like the reverse of Awakening. But it sadly never got that far.

Since then, they've said that they "couldn't figure out how to implement romance" and that's part of the reason they haven't revived it. But that's kind of weird to me, because judging from the character designs they already gave us, it seems like it would be very simple for them lol. Days of Ruin was just a strange choice of direction in hindsight, it seems like they leaned TOO hard into the NA sales data and sacrificed any international appeal it might have had.

Anyway, if not for the 9/11 release complications with the original Advance Wars, it would probably still be alive as a series today which is weird to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom