• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Someone was saying this was a credible leaker. They think it won’t be first party. Don’t know how credible this person is though. Thoughts?
Oy vey. No they're not credible and this thread has an aneurysm every time someone mentions them.

EDIT: The "oy vey" is directed at them, not you.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's worth noting that The Pokémon Company is largely a separate entity from Nintendo. Nintendo - the ones most involved in DLC fighter selection, don't... really have that much to gain from shilling a two year-old Pokémon game? It's the same issue with talking about Nahobino as a "shill pick" - Nintendo doesn't have the same kind of incentive as they did with, say, Byleth, a promo pick for a Nintendo-owned series kept close to their chest.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that The Pokemon Company is largely a separate entity from Nintendo. Nintendo - the ones most involved in DLC fighter selection, don't... really have that much to gain from shilling a two year-old Pokemon game? It's the same issue with talking about Nahobino as a "shill pick" - Nintendo doesn't have the same kind of incentive as they did with, say, Byleth.
Eh, even if Nintendo didn’t earn money from Pokémon sales, we did get characters that didn’t have a direct benefit to Nintendo (Joker’s on different platforms, Banjo is very much Microsoft etc.)

Their beliefs aren't our problem tbh.

Everyone's free to believe what they want.
Well….

everyone?

A lot of people are dumb y’know?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that The Pokémon Company is largely a separate entity from Nintendo. Nintendo - the ones most involved in DLC fighter selection, don't... really have that much to gain from shilling a two year-old Pokémon game? It's the same issue with talking about Nahobino as a "shill pick" - Nintendo doesn't have the same kind of incentive as they did with, say, Byleth, a promo pick for a Nintendo-owned series kept close to their chest.
The characters were decided in 2019, back when Pokemon Sword and Shield was the hottest new release.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I guess if you think about the fact that Smash 4 and Ultimate were made in succession, this truly is the last character without any future smash characters planned. Smash 4 base had DLC planned, Smash 4 DLC had Ultimate planned. Pass 1 had Pass 2 planned. Not saying this means it HAS to be a hype character, but it certainly feels more like an "ending" than the other moments we viewed as endings since Smash 4

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Eh, even if Nintendo didn’t earn money from Pokémon sales, we did get characters that didn’t have a direct benefit to Nintendo (Joker’s on different platforms, Banjo is very much Microsoft etc.)
That's true, but in those cases, they were characters that had a lot of appeal, and thus would help make Smash more topical and sell passes. There was still a reason to want to add these characters.
A third-party "shill pick" or even a Pokémon presents a situation where Nintendo has to eat backlash without the trade-off benefit of getting people to think about one of their big IPs. SMT and especially Pokémon are big IPs, but they aren't fully theirs.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bayo is a weird case because we kinda take her as an example of “wowah endings suck” but Nintendo didn’t know that. They thought they were presenting a ballot heavy hitter fanbase pleaser and Europe would be in shambles of happy tears. That she was a letdown wasn’t Nintendo going “ok guys its the last one so the ballot fighter cant be hype“

That's true, but in those cases, they were characters that had a lot of appeal, and thus would help make Smash more topical and sell passes. There was still a reason to want to add these characters.
A third-party "shill pick" or even a Pokémon presents a situation where Nintendo has to eat backlash without the benefit of getting people to think about one of their big IPs. SMT and especially Pokémon are big IPs, but they aren't fully theirs.
I’d say SMT and Pokémon are series big enough that it’s not purely shill.

EDIT: Base games have unlockable characters and the whole gabagool of the hype being carried by the release of a whole dang game. If Challenger 11 is a let down, there‘s nothing but God’s grace and Mii costumes left to save us

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I mean, aside from Pokemon is there anything left that’s actually released to shill?

I can only think of SMTV because it was intended to release 2020.
Wario Ware, Cadence of Hyrule, Famicom detective club, Advance wars, Jump rope challenge.

But I mean, a more lowkey pick doesn't mean that it's going to be a shill. Like I would count Arle a smaller characters but she wouldn't really shill something. (well I guess she could for Puyo puyo tetris 2 but she wouldn't be chosen just because of that game).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Someone was saying this was a credible leaker. They think it won’t be first party. Don’t know how credible this person is though. Thoughts?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Samus hunter is a known fraud and copies from other people. The reply from this thread goes into detail what she copied.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Like, what do y'all even mean when you say the reveal will be "hype"? For who? For you? For me? For everyone objectively, somehow?

Hype is subjective, you can't just say it will or won't be because then people are going to be let down like they always are, and then you're gonna get **** thrown your way because they wanted Crash but you actually got an Atelier Ryza character instead. It sure was hype... for the people who play those games lol

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whatever happened with that Alpharad/Maximillian stuff? Did people forget about their existence or something? Because I know I sure did. :nifty:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’m pretty sure most people agree they were joking.
It wasn't most people when it first came about, but good to see people have come to their senses on that at least.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Damn this thread goes fast. Anyway..

Pyra/Mythra
I don't have much good to say, other than it makes sense why they joined the roster, being from a 2017 switch title. The series clearly has a future and it's Nintendo's favourite RPG after Pokémon and Fire Emblem it seems like.

So as a salty Golden Sun fan, I can't stand that Xeno fans get their 2nd/3rd rep and are already rubbing their hands for XC3. Good for you I guess x) As for me, I actually enjoyed XC:DE a lot; not more than other RPGs I played growing up mind, but I can totally respect Shulk getting an invite. I haven't played XC2 and I don't have any plans to play it. Rex was one of my three RPG candidates I was specualting after Sephiroth. Rex, Lloyd and Isaac. It ended up being not Rex, but the aegis of course. I don't think this was a bad decision, it makes a lot of sense. However, the gimmick of switching between fast and strong hurts my soul when I play against them. Hero just has problems at both ends of that spectrum.

Getting another XC character cemented the idea in my head that we weren't going to get any more characters from the RPG genre added. Thats not to say it couldn't (since FP1 kinda had 3) but it lowered the chances a lot. So my hopes of Isaac plummeted and I really stopped caring about who was left at that point. That said, we're on the final one now, and I feel like Isaac is requested enough to have a non-0 chance. So I'm going to ride it out to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom