• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
“Celebration of gaming” to me suggests the last character isn’t from a series that constantly has a different character per game as the main player so I’m personally not going in with the expectation that we could be seeing something like SMT, fire emblem or pokemon etc where the protagonists or in pokemons case, the Pokémon’s are different each game.

if I’m wrong, I’m wrong but the phrasing of “celebration of gaming” just gives me the vibe it’s at least a character who’s playable in every game of their series, if not, at least 80% playable as the main protagonis.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Let people have fun, honestly. Believe it or not, most of us are pretty well-adjusted humans who, while we'll enjoy the hype and all, will ultimately not boo-hoo crybaby ourselves into a fit if the video game doesn't have the character we want. We're merely enjoying the hype because, well, it's fun to do that. We don't need to have people yelling about how it's obviously gonna be John Bummer.

People should be allowed to, well, let their imaginations run wild. Most of us can do so responsibly.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well then it was just Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta, and aside from :4corrin: I'd consider that extreme fanservice.
And that is the basic issue. Statements like the fanservice one or letting your imagination run wild are too subjective and meaningless to make a major assumption one way or another.

1989dreamery

Banned via Warnings
Did you just really sockpuppet an account after you got banned for trolling? **** off.
Nah actually i had no idea because i signed up twice by accident since the forums didn't like my vpn or something. Obviously you all need to grow up and live like a real man and not a sensitive person with tender feelings with a mob mindset. I'd win against you at smash anyway so you're just a bit envious

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Nah actually i had no idea because i signed up twice by accident since the forums didn't like my vpn or something. Obviously you all need to grow up and live like a real man and not a sensitive person with tender feelings with a mob mindset. I'd win against you at smash anyway so you're just a bit envious
1633273095501.png

Bottom text.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's better to ignore the troll and report them than reply.

That said, it'll be sooooooooon. I would be okay with a Gen 8 Pokemon, though Rillaboom interests me more(I'd like to see a rhythm moveset in action, even if it turns out bad).

A better use of your time would be participating in the Character Exploration thread. Shameless plug finished.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
For all we know, the last character could be Adol Christin from Ys.
Hey, I wouldn't mind that, partly since then a certain meme would come to pass:

By SharkLord

you see ANY hype around these parts???
I'm hyped, because no matter which character we're getting I'm pretty confident that Sakurai and co. will ensure that he / she / they're fun.

And that's honestly what matters in the end. Yeah, if you'd ask me I kinda am tempted to lean towards a bigger character (partly because I want to believe, but also since they're going all out), but I'm fully prepared for the case where it turns out to be a smaller character and they just wanted to advertise the presentation + any retrospective of Ultimate they might have prepared. Plus any future plans for support such as balance patches, official events etc.

In the end, yes, this is really openended, but even though these last 2 days might be long it's honestly going to be interesting either way.

Doomguy's my big one; him, Geno, and Dante were in my top three, in no particular order. Interviews seem to indicate that he's not happening, though.

Amaterasu from Okami would be great, but considering that Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Devil May Cry didn't make it into the playable roster, I don't see Okami making it.

Likewise, 2B from Nier Automata would be amazing, but I doubt that's going to happen. (mostly because I don't think they'd want to end off with a combo-heavy character like what happened in Smash 4)

Captain Toad, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, or any Zelda character (it's been twenty years since a new unique one was added - I'll take Tingle at this point) would be great, but I don't see any of them being the final DLC character given how the past DLC characters have gone. (first party characters either seem to be veterans or promoting something very recent, with Piranha Plant being the sole exception - even then, Piranha Plant seems like it was intended for the base game, since it's the only DLC character with a Palutena's Guidance)

Beyond that, I'm not sure - Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, or Sol Badguy would be great, but I'm not up to date on those series, so I'd mainly want them in from a historical standpoint, as opposed to being a super-fan of any of those series.

(I'm assuming that a character being a Mii costume, assist trophy, or post-release spirit rules them out)
Think there's a good way to ensure those MWs:

tumblr_phzi20kBW51ueapts_1280.jpg

:4pacman:

1989dreamery

Banned via Warnings
It's better to ignore the troll and report them than reply.

That said, it'll be sooooooooon. I would be okay with a Gen 8 Pokemon, though Rillaboom interests me more(I'd like to see a rhythm moveset in action, even if it turns out bad).
That's why you live at home with muhmah and puhpuhpah. You can't handle the salty 🧂 of the next couple of days when your shoddy theory falls over like a house of cards matey. All the kuh kuh and puhpah byproduct going to be upset they didn't get their Disney in smash ultimate and it's going to be a Japanese exclusive character or a Capcom legend.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Reminder that the imagination tweet did not come from Sakurai. Whatever intern posted it probably doesn't even know who the character is.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Meanwhile I replied to them, ignored them immediately after and then reported them.
Which I think goes completely against how your supposed to interact with a troll lol, as amusing as their melee takes may be. More so the first 2 parts but still

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Sakurai does run his Twitter account himself. It's not like a company's Twitter, it's his. Considering his live response to Steve killing Twitter and all, I'm pretty sure it's him.

If it was ever stated that he in fact does not run it himself, I'd love to know.

Last edited:

1989dreamery

Banned via Warnings
Meanwhile I replied to them, ignored them immediately after and then reported them.
How's the cheetos on your fingers doing. You won't be sweating on my controller 🎮 I'd never give you the chance of losing against my insane skills at fighting games homedawg

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Sakurai does run his Twitter account himself. It's not like a company's Twitter, it's his. Considering his live response to Steve killing Twitter and all, I'm pretty sure it's him.

If it was ever stated that he in fact does not run it himself, I'd love to know.
The imagination quote was specifically by the Japanese smash twitter account. The gaming celebration one was done by him tho

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I am gonna keep my predictions of Ezio Auditore or Frisk

Rayman could happen, too. I just have a very good feeling about Ubisoft in general.

Also, I asked this yesterday but for now answer so I’ll try again: what GTA video did Nintendo take down? I saw someone mention something like this.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

It wasn't Sakurai's account though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was talking more so about how the suits at Nintendo were probably acting like monkey's cos it's some plug do they're gonna get additional sales from that game.
All those juicy Persona 5, Tekken and FF7 sales. :p

Street Fighter 5 didn't get the memo and added a literal who OC instead of a fan request as its last character.
SF4 didn't get it either, ending with a literal Cammy clone.

Although...calling Luke an OC is weird...he's still a an SF character in an SF game.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
:ultpyra: /:ultmythra: thoughts:

Xenoblade 2 was one of those games that I wasn't actively pushing for to get a fighter, but I would've been happy if one did show up. I played through Xenoblade 2 beforehand and enjoyed it a lot -- I prefer 1 overall, but 2 was still solid. The reveal was similar to Byleth's in that it started with the source game and then led into finding out that the character is coming to Smash. The big difference was that this time it wasn't in a dedicated Smash presentation lol. I would've expected Rex alongside Pyra/Mythra, but having the Blades by themselves provided a great opportunity for a stance change fighter.

Giving them similar normals with the main difference being speed vs power was a great idea -- it makes them feel like two sides of the same coin while also making them easier to pick up than Pokémon Trainer. If you couldn't tell from the other DLC characters I play, I like swordies, so Pyra/Mythra clicked with me pretty quickly. Zipping around the battlefield as Mythra and then switching to Pyra to send the opponent flying is a lot of fun to do. They can be scary to fight against in the right hands, though.

Stage-wise, I don't mind the Cloud Sea, but I would've preferred one of the actual titans. Not Gormott, since that's a similar biome to Gaur Plains, but maybe Mor Ardain, Leftheria, or Uraya. It's just that one of the things I like most about Xenoblade is the world design, and while the Cloud Sea is an interesting visual set piece, it doesn't have the same oomph to me as something like these:

The music that they brought over directly from Xenoblade 2 is all phenomenal, I just wish the remixes were better. Counterattack doesn't have the same impact as the original, and there's that one weird fadeout in the middle of the Tiger! Tiger! remix that always distracts me when I hear it in-game.

That said, these are all somewhat minor nitpicks in the grand scheme of things. Pyra and Mythra were a great addition, as well as one of the most fun DLC characters for me to play, so I'm happy they made it in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So I just noticed White Frost was here since 2001.
Wow!
When was this website founded??
Huh. So I was here on year after its founding. Neat.

I didn't take any real part in Melee speculation, though. I did make a fun roster with a beta image, but that was it(which had Sheik on it, yet not Zelda. Weird).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Someone who will remain unnamed has decided we're having too much fun and decided to make an account just to troll us. That someone has apparently been so painfully hurt in life that seeing the smiles on others' faces as they drift through life drives them mad with envy. While everyone else feels the complete satisfaction of joy in life they remain inexplicably detached from those feelings. And so they lash out, in a futile attempt to block the enormous dread they feel when they know that after a time, they will be back to being alone with their pain, forever cursed to witness others' happiness from afar but never once able to share in its warm embrace. Cold, distant, knowing only suffering they will continue to dry up inside until all that's left is a withered soul. And when their time finally comes for the torment to end not even the angels of heaven will hold their hand. They will turn to dust and no one will remember them.

D

Deleted member

idk about you guys, but between the imaginations running wild tweet and Sakurai reaffirming the celebration of gaming thing, it sure does sound like the opportune time to reveal a character from an Indie Game. You wanna let your imaginations run wild? There's a whole lot of Indie Games to think of as a possibility from old to new and popular to niche, and it does fit with the celebration of gaming narrative to include a game that was made by a small team of developers than a big team owned by a publisher to establish the importance of Indie Games in the industry.

That or a mobile game as a way to say mobile gamers are also gamers or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom