• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Little theory, if covid19 didn’t happened, this was probably the reveal order event for FP2:

E3 2020: Min Min
September Direct 2020: Steve
TGA2020: Sephiroth
February Direct 2021: Pyra/Mythra
E3 2021: Kazuya
September Direct 2021: CP11

Both E3 reveals were from fightin games, so there must be a parallellism between Steve and CP11. That means the last fighter is either a western rep, sandbox or something non-human.

(This is just a joke xD)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Found this and thought it would be interesting to share here

Kinda surprised the new Wario Ware isn't in the top 5
Unsurprised that Mario Party is high considering the mentality of "Frickin' buy it as the future of Mario Party depends on it's success". And while the same sort of goes for Metroid Dread as well, the game's trailer did a very good job at bringing the hype and I've seen many people that weren't interested in Metroid in general become very interested after Dread's reveal. With how pre-orders have been for Dread, things are looking very good for Metroid Dread's success.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Unsurprised that Mario Party is high considering the mentality of "Frickin' buy it as the future of Mario Party depends on it's success".
Can't blame people. Mario Party's finally truly going back to its roots, and supporting this game is the best way to show Nintendo this is the path we want future Mario Party games to go down.

I sure hope they learn from this and make future Mario Party games in this vein again. Or at the very least, support this one with DLC so people can keep coming back to it.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Little theory, if covid19 didn’t happened, this was probably the reveal order event for FP2:

Both E3 reveals were from fightin games, so there must be a parallellism between Steve and CP11. That means the last fighter is either a western rep, sandbox or something non-human.

(This is just a joke xD)
Definitely a character from the west. And Banjo was released the first month of Fall.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
Funnily enough, your focus on Mii Costumes deconfirming made you miss this one, same for the last one too...

Huh, maybe that isn't working out too well and you should try using a different lens?

Though, I'm no better on Kazuya and I'm mad about it too: originally, being back in 2019, I thought Tekken could happen because Heihachi got cut from Smash 4 but I decided to anchor on Lloyd due to that post about Lloyd and Yuri being in development early on and because I held faith in the next Bamco character being a fan pick.

What I unfortunately missed is that much of this pass has been trying to 'right wrongs' if you will, which meant that Tekken had a much better chance, in which case I always said that Kazuya or Jin had a better chance as they have the Devil Gene which gives them more to pull from in addition to also being main characters, with Kazuya being the original main character. I wish I would have stuck with that and realized what I missed, but here we are.

I will say my call now is that that CP11 has actually been leaked already and everyone has written it off for various reasons that aren't truly justified
Perhaps the final challenger was already hinted at from the start, but people dismissed it because it never came to fruition until the end.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

(This is just a joke xD)
No it's not a joke! Your theory here is correct because it means it makes Sgt. Cortez more likely.

Time to Split!

Time to split am I right fellas.gif

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
No it's not a joke! Your theory here is correct because it means it makes Sgt. Cortez more likely.

Time to Split!

View attachment 326029
Wanna hear a bad joke because I'm bored?

What did Sgt. Fred say?

Time to Split! And search for clues!

Also, would be cool if we end off on a western character, that way Steve isn't the only Western FP2 character.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

(This is just a joke xD)
isn’t Steve a human but made in squares so if the last character was parallel to Steve wouldn’t they have to be human, not non human. He takes damage like a human.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Speaking of Doomguy, I am pretty suspicious of the fact Dragonborn was chosen as the well requested costume choice from Bethesda when Doom was quite clearly the more talked about choice.

Thats not to dunk on Skyrim or anything, but Doomguy was the one mentioned in tons of interviews.

I’m not super confident in Doomguy after the interview, but I wouldn’t fully count him out after Grant Kirkhope’s mild bit of tomfoolery about Banjo.
It's probably due to Skyrim's presence in Japan.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain Skyrim was a massive success in Japan just like it was in the west.

Doom, while not as unheard of as some say, isn't as big over there.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

I knew SMT V was selling pretty well, but Jesus. I doubt it's selling as well here in Europe, but it seems to be surprisingly popular in America and Japan. Not complaining about it being unpopular in Europe, since it meant I was able to get the premium edition 20 minutes after it went on sale.

Nintendo and ATLUS are marketing it really well (there's another trailer in a few hours if anyone's interested), and I could definitely see a Smash character as an extra push.

Metroid doing really well also makes me really happy, since I absolutely love that series. The other games really aren't that surprising. I wonder which individual pokemon remake's selling better, diamond or pearl.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know - when Ultimate first came out and I finished unlocking the roster after an all-nighter, I pulled another all-nighter a couple of days later to do a CPU mega-tournament comprised of the entire roster; four smaller tournaments followed by a 4-player tournament comprised of the four winners, since the limit for a single tournament is 32 players IIRC. Since it was purely 1v1s and I wasn't skipping fights, it really did take all night.

I told myself then I was gonna do it again once DLC was finished. Nearly three years later, that's fast approaching!
Captain Falcon won last time, but this time around I'm concerned the tournament may be ruled with an iron fist... ;)

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I’ve always had in the back of my mind that it would be funny if the very last character (Fp11 in this instant) on the mural art was not apart of the actual mural art and instead was facing off against the characters alone on the opposite side to the characters.

Wouldn’t know who would fit there, would probably have to be a villain but it would be cool. It’s never gonna happen though.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

(This is just a joke xD)
Did you forget to mention that Pyra & Mythra were revealed ON MY BIRTHDAY?

SKX31

Smash Master
It's probably due to Skyrim's presence in Japan.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain Skyrim was a massive success in Japan just like it was in the west.

Doom, while not as unheard of as some say, isn't as big over there.
It apparently did pretty well: It appears on MediaCreate's top 500 list for 2011 (114K on the PS3 and at #116, 51K on the 360 and at #211, combined 165K) and 2012 (66K on the PS3 and #154, 15K on the 360 and #459, combined total 246K). Later on, in 2018 the Switch version debuted at #7 with 13K sold in its first week.

MediaCreate's lists do not cover computer versions AFAIK, so the total number there is probably bigger. Sadly, the closest source I know that may provide those numbers (Steam Spy) paywall those region numbers.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Has Duke Nukem ever been brought up for discussion? He was pretty huge in the 90’s but he’s not exactly a character for good boys and girls.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
While we're dwelling on indie picks, Miriam from the Bloodstained games would be a good addition. She has a lot of moveset potential compared to many other picks and the games are doing quite well. Weapons and close-range shards for standard and smash attacks. Guns and magic-shards for specials. Craftwork for grabs. Reflector Ray and/or Dimension Shift for recovery. Could also do gimmicky things like using familiars as puppet fighters similar to RosaLuma, or add command-input moves that mimic her techniques in RotN.

What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where the last DLC character ended up being Asuka from Senran Kagura?
I can give you a rough estimation on how the general reaction would unfold:
  • Various soylets on Twitter and ResetEra end up having a nuclear meltdown over busty anime waifu with two swords getting in over their MW.
  • Some try making death threats to Sakuai similar to the Waluigi incident, others attempt to cancel him.
  • Sakurai ignores the bait as he always does and carries on with the project.
  • Histronic rage dies down before long because outrage mobs have goldfish memory.
  • Some newcomers decide to look into the franchise, find it has more depth than 'haha boobies go boing boing'.
  • Smash bump kicks in and certain groups decide "actually we kind of like these games now", similar to Bayonetta's reception over time.
  • Smash 6 Sakurai starts adding more characters from the series as a troll move against the pearl clutchers, and Marvelous IPs probably aren't that expensive to negotiate for.
  • The masses still end up complaining less overall because it's seen as an improvement over the Fire Emblem shill picks.
As for my reaction? I would certainly be very upset, but only if one of the first pieces of fan art isn't Asuka tossing Mai Shiranui into the volcano.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While we're dwelling on indie picks, Miriam from the Bloodstained games would be a good addition. She has a lot of moveset potential compared to many other picks and the games are doing quite well. Weapons and close-range shards for standard and smash attacks. Guns and magic-shards for specials. Craftwork for grabs. Reflector Ray and/or Dimension Shift for recovery. Could also do gimmicky things like using familiars as puppet fighters similar to RosaLuma, or add command-input moves that mimic her techniques in RotN.

I can give you a rough estimation on how the general reaction would unfold:
  • Various soylets on Twitter and ResetEra end up having a nuclear meltdown over busty anime waifu with two swords getting in over their MW.
  • Some try making death threats to Sakuai similar to the Waluigi incident, others attempt to cancel him.
  • Sakurai ignores the bait as he always does and carries on with the project.
  • Histronic rage dies down before long because outrage mobs have goldfish memory.
  • Some newcomers decide to look into the franchise, find it has more depth than 'haha boobies go boing boing'.
  • Smash bump kicks in and certain groups decide "actually we kind of like these games now", similar to Bayonetta's reception over time.
  • Smash 6 Sakurai starts adding more characters from the series as a troll move against the pearl clutchers, and Marvelous IPs probably aren't that expensive to negotiate for.
  • The masses still end up complaining less overall because it's seen as an improvement over the Fire Emblem shill picks.
As for my reaction? I would certainly be very upset, but only if one of the first pieces of fan art isn't Asuka tossing Mai Shiranui into the volcano.
Boy, that's gonna be the FIRST piece of fanart made. Mark my words. MARK THEM.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
To be frank, the fact that Dragonborn got a costume before Doomguy proves my point that he was criminally underrated in speculation. Not that it matters anymore for this game but I was confused on why Doomguy stole all the Bethesda spotlight.

But to be fair, Fallout got a costume before both of them and to my knowledge that series isn't that popular in Japan....so who knows what goes through Nintendo's head.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I knew SMT V was selling pretty well, but Jesus. I doubt it's selling as well here in Europe, but it seems to be surprisingly popular in America and Japan. Not complaining about it being unpopular in Europe, since it meant I was able to get the premium edition 20 minutes after it went on sale.

Nintendo and ATLUS are marketing it really well (there's another trailer in a few hours if anyone's interested), and I could definitely see a Smash character as an extra push.

Metroid doing really well also makes me really happy, since I absolutely love that series. The other games really aren't that surprising. I wonder which individual pokemon remake's selling better, diamond or pearl.
It might be a potential point for a future Smash game, but highly unlikely given the development timeline for Ultimate and how the DLC characters were apparently all decided on by the end of 2018, negotiations concluded in 2019, and SMT5 barely began development in 2017 if these comments are anything to go by https://personacentral.com/development-shin-megami-tensei-v-scrap-build-phase/

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be frank, the fact that Dragonborn got a costume before Doomguy proves my point that he was criminally underrated in speculation. Not that it matters anymore for this game but I was confused on why Doomguy stole all the Bethesda spotlight.

But to be fair, Fallout got a costume before both of them and to my knowledge that series isn't that popular in Japan....so who knows what goes through Nintendo's head.
Could've just been that Vault Boy actually meshes best with Mii proportions out of all of Bethesda's notable characters.

But we can't put too much stock in who gets costumed before who. There existed Heihachi, Lloyd and Gil costumes since last game, and then we got Kazuya. And the less said about Geno the better.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
If you had to choose one of these, who would it be?

I fell off the Dragalia train a few months back because the game is frankly draining to keep up with, but out of these three, Euden easily. Never cared for Angry Birds and the novelty of the Snake would wear out quickly.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey so the news section of the Kirby site has replaced everything with a Lorem Ipsum placeholder and all the articles are Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis for some bizarre reason
The Official Home of Kirby™ - News (nintendo.com)
My assumption is that there's something new coming up that they started editing in advance or something but why is frigging Kafka a placeholder for a Kirby website

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hey so the news section of the Kirby site has replaced everything with a Lorem Ipsum placeholder and all the articles are Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis for some bizarre reason
My assumption is that there's something new coming up that they started editing in advance or something but why is frigging Kafka a placeholder for a Kirby website
I mean, I'm sure there's something in Kirby Lore to justify this...

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Woo hoo! All games I want to buy.

Nice. This could even hit at a direct.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Leaked box art of the upcoming Kirby spin-off:
metamorphosis.png

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Some of those final bosses do be getting a little kafkaesque...

But, idk, sounds like Intern-Kun has picked up some heavy reading lately. :laugh:

Leaked box art of the upcoming Kirby spin-off:
View attachment 326051
ha

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
They're probably getting ready for some Kirby announcement... a few days ago they unpinned the star allies artbook post from the official Kirby Twitter page too... I'm not sure when, but there's definitely something going on.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Great, the final DLC character is going to be someone who wakes up one day as a giant insect...

...wait a second...does anyone have Sarah Kerrigan on their Bingo cards??

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
When you want Bandanna Waddle Dee in Smash, but Kirby says “To die would mean nothing else than to surrender a nothing to the nothing, but that would be impossible to conceive, for how could a person, even only as nothing, consciously surrender themself to the nothing, and not merely to an empty nothing but rather a roaring nothing whose nothingness consists only in its incomprehensibility.”

I guess someone on the web design team has a knack for existentialism and Cicero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom