• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I do feel the last character will probably be a character that doesn’t wield a sword. We’ve had 3 sword users in this pass and 2 non sword users. I’m not usually a pattern person unless it has strong evidence for it but I do feel they’ll even it out with a non sword user as the final rep.

That and after the byleth reaction they got they’re probably scared to announce the last fighter as a sword user. I mean I would to if I announced a sword user as the last fighter in pack 1 and it gained 80k dislikes

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do feel the last character will probably be a character that doesn’t wield a sword. We’ve had 3 sword users in this pass and 2 non sword users. I’m not usually a pattern person unless it has strong evidence for it but I do feel they’ll even it out with a non sword user as the final rep.

That and after the byleth reaction they got they’re probably scared to announce the last fighter as a sword user. I mean I would to if I announced a sword user as the last fighter in pack 1 and it gained 80k dislikes
I don’t think it was because it was a sword user. People were out right crying and begging for Dante as the final character. It’s the character that was chosen. I’m cool with Byleth but it was quite the shock and it understandably upset people. I love Fire Emblem but yeah there’s been a LOT of FE added between Smash 4 and now.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I don’t think it was because it was a sword user. People were out right crying and begging for Dante as the final character. It’s the character that was chosen. I’m cool with Byleth but it was quite the shock and it understandably upset people. I love Fire Emblem but yeah there’s been a LOT of FE added between Smash 4 and now.
"They're scared to reveal a sword user" is also just completely ridiculous and I feel like you'd do right to address that. They don't care about that minority at all.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Let's assume for the sake of argument that our final character for Smash Ultimate is a 3rd party pick. Who would you think are the most likely candidates? I'm personally leaning towards Phoenix Wright and to a lesser extent Master Chief
If this is purely based on evidence and nothing else, I'm thinking a SEGA or Capcom rep are the most likely. A new company seems unlikely, not only due to COVID-19 screwing up communications, but because it seems that Nintendo is playing it safe with companies they already worked with in the past, so I don't expect anything from Koei Tecmo, Level 5, Arc System or anything of the like, maybe not Ubisoft because of Rayman.

Why?
For SEGA:
-They haven't gotten anything in this Fighter's Pass, not even a single mii costume
-Strong candidates, among them a Sonic rep or Puyo Puyo
-Most loyal company out of the bunch, so maybe Nintendo could ''reward them''
-Apparently negotations were made, both for the Sonic spirit event and the trailer collabs

For Capcom:
-Incredibly weird that we haven't got a single newcomer (aside from Ken) when everyone else got at least one
-Even weirder considering all the Capcom miis and the RE spirit event, which means negotations could've been made
-Capcom has some of the most iconic franchises in gaming, even comparable to many of Ninty's top dogs
-Speaking of which, RE didn't get a costume and it's their best selling franchise not in the game
Edit: Now I'm aware that they got a spirit event, but that's exactly why I'm leaning towards it. Since RE got overlooked in a similar way Tekken was while also being in a grey area.

So:
-One of the final two seems to be either a RE or Sonic/Puyo Puyo rep, leaning towards Sonic in the latter due to 2nd chance theory and the massive fan request

That would be it for a logical conclusion, since the one wildcard I'm thinking of rn is Sora. He has quite possibly been the most requested character for Ultimate and everyone deems him as impossible (don't know why when Disney has talked about it in the past), his franchise is big, even more so than a similar request that got shot down (Devil May Cry). This means he doesn't share the same problem as someone like Chief, Crash or Doomguy, as they seem to be western-centric picks while Sora has a worldwide appeal. Would prolly sell like hotcakes and he just seems fitting, especially from a huge/crowdpleaser finale perspective.

Now I'll get bombarded with ''why?'' and ''why now? and not in E3?'' questions, well that's simple:
-Tekken is overall a bigger franchise with an audience that doesn't overlap as hard as Sora's with Smash, so it makes sense to be shown at E3 to attract a new crowd to the game
-Disney of all companies can take the luxury of being shown at very last
-Since Min Min was literally the first character in this pass, and Bayo (who was also deemed impossible in Sm4sh, I was there) was the very last pick for Sm4sh, I'm not buying any of this ''last character bad'' BS doomposting.

On a last note, I'm pretty much expecting the last character to break some sort of rule or precedent, as all of the fighters in FP2 have.
Capcom rep, sega or Konami would probably be the favourites. Couldn’t possibly tell you which Konami rep or capcom rep would be in as I don’t really play their games however I do think sega would push for a sonic rep.

I kinda think we could potentially get our first and only assist upgrade here if I’m honest. We’re living in a world where 5 out of the 6 characters in the pass soo far have broken fan rules and sakurai kinda brushed off the spring man Assist trophy situation as if AT’s didn’t deconfirm which I thought was unusual as I thought he’d at least mention it
Yeah I've been thinking an AT promotion is totally possible at this point, thing is, who would they pick? and why?
If we can answer these questions we could get an idea

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If this is purely based on evidence and nothing else, I'm thinking a SEGA or Capcom rep are the most likely. A new company seems unlikely, not only due to COVID-19 screwing up communications, but because it seems that Nintendo is playing it safe with companies they already worked with in the past, so I don't expect anything from Koei Tecmo, Level 5, Arc System or anything of the like, maybe not Ubisoft because of Rayman.

Why?
For SEGA:
-They haven't gotten anything in this Fighter's Pass, not even a single mii costume
-Strong candidates, among them a Sonic rep or Puyo Puyo
-Most loyal company out of the bunch, so maybe Nintendo could ''reward them''
-Apparently negotations were made, both for the Sonic spirit event and the trailer collabs

For Capcom:
-Incredibly weird that we haven't got a single newcomer (aside from Ken) when everyone else got at least one
-Even weirder considering all the Capcom miis and the RE spirit event, which means negotations could've been made
-Capcom has some of the most iconic franchises in gaming, even comparable to many of Ninty's top dogs
-Speaking of which, RE didn't get a costume and it's their best selling franchise not in the game

So:
-One of the final two seems to be either a RE or Sonic/Puyo Puyo rep, leaning towards Sonic in the latter due to 2nd chance theory and the massive fan request

That would be it for a logical conclusion, since the one wildcard I'm thinking of rn is Sora. He has quite possibly been the most requested character for Ultimate and everyone deems him as impossible (don't know why when Disney has talked about it in the past), his franchise is big, even more so than a similar request that got shot down (Devil May Cry). This means he doesn't share the same problem as someone like Chief, Crash or Doomguy, as they seem to be western-centric picks while Sora has a worldwide appeal. Would prolly sell like hotcakes and he just seems fitting, especially from a huge/crowdpleaser finale perspective.

Now I'll get bombarded with ''why?'' and ''why now? and not in E3?'' questions, well that's simple:
-Tekken is overall a bigger franchise with an audience that doesn't overlap as hard as Sora's with Smash, so it makes sense to be shown at E3 to attract a new crowd to the game
-Disney of all companies can take the luxury of being shown at very last
-Since Min Min was literally the first character in this pass, and Bayo (who was also deemed impossible in Sm4sh, I was there) was the very last pick for Sm4sh, I'm not buying any of this ''last character bad'' BS doomposting

Yeah I've been thinking an AT promotion is totally possible at this point, thing is, who would they pick? and why?
If we can answer these questions we could get an idea
I’d think the most logical thing to decide which assist trophy gets upgraded would go back to the very beginning (brawl) and pick from there.

I do feel if sega was to get a new rep and it came from sonic I could see shadow being the exception. They usually try and shove shadow down most people these days out of all the “sonics friends” cast.

Heck even shadow got his own theme song from his game at the sonic orchestra event and it was save to be apart of the last 2-3 songs.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I’d think the most logical thing to decide which assist trophy gets upgraded would go back to the very beginning (brawl) and pick from there.

I do feel if sega was to get a new rep and it came from sonic I could see shadow being the exception. They usually try and shove shadow down most people these days out of all the “sonics friends” cast.

Heck even shadow got his own theme song from his game at the sonic orchestra event and it was save to be apart of the last 2-3 songs.
I admit that I don't want to get my hopes up, but when I think about it he kinda makes sense along with character choices such as Waluigi and Alucard (2nd chance), Shovel Knight is a huge maybe for me due to being an indie.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At this point it really does feel like a particular character is likely the last fighter. Given their ownership by a huge company like Activision, their initial games being on rival consoles before ending up on Nintendo systems, and even ending getting its own mobile game, it makes sense for this iconic platformer character to finally be in Smash, and I think we all know who I'm talking about.

That's right, Piffall Harry!

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Byleth being a sword wielder was never the problem. It's the fact that it was Fire Emblem as the last character in combination with how anticipated and expected Dante was at the time. The stars were practically aligned for Dante to a lot of people, myself included, with so many factors that tied to Devil May Cry on the same day as the fighter reveal. So imagine the reaction to not only find out that it wasn't Dante, but it was a character from Fire Emblem; a franchise that has a very infamous history with Smash fans for having too much representation and bias in comparison to other franchises like Zelda.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Idk why y'all think a Capcom rep is happening when the ultimate conga train of capcom deconfirms has been happening all through ultimate
They have gotten a lot of 'love' in the Mii department and a lot of spirits. It does lend one to think they won't get a fourth rep with this pass. But they still have a lot of IPs that could come out of no where. Hopefully, if they do end up being C11, we don't just get another SF character (Even if I would love Chun-Li, it'd suck if almost all Capcom's fighters were from the same IP).

ZelDan

Smash Master
As far as AT promotions go the ones that I could see happening the most are, in no particular order:

Waluigi
Isaac
Shovel Knight
Megaman Zero

There's also Alucard, but I dunno, with the terrific amount of content Castlevania already got in base game, the series having 2 characters (which for third parties is pretty significant), and the series not really having any real large missing gaps in representation IIRC, Castlevania and its fanbase is already sitting pretty nicely as is, so I wonder if they'd still want Alucard after that?

Some people (or a certain someone) may want to bring up Shadow, who sure, is a popular character, but there are other Sonic characters who are popular too, likely even more so than him. I have a feeling if we ever get another a Sonic character we'd probably get Eggman or Tails before Shadow or Knuckles.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In fact, beyond SMT, what would even fit for this idea?
Dharkon and Galleem are practically Lavos! Another point for Crono!

I could see something like this for Sora’s trailer. It’d be sort of fitting too. Sephiroth brings despair to Smash, Sora brings hope.
In all seriousness, a trailer where Sora destroys the god of the World of Dark would be extremely fitting.

All these dead bodies make Viridi mad about nature getting polluted.
I'm not sure you understand how lava works if you think it's leaving dead bodies behind...

Does Necron from Final Fantasy IX count as a god? It definitely seemed god-like at least. Same for Yu Yevon from X (although I think Yu Yevon was originally human if I remember correctly).
Every FF final boss counts as a god.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that our final character for Smash Ultimate is a 3rd party pick. Who would you think are the most likely candidates?
Hayabusa.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I don't think Nintendo cares about how people feel about sword users. The only people who are scared the last character is a sword user is the Smash Brothers community

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Idk why y'all think a Capcom rep is happening when the ultimate conga train of capcom deconfirms has been happening all through ultimate
To be completely fair. Tekken was “disconfirmed” at Min Min so y’know there is something there. Not much but something.

Still I can’t see any of the other unrepresented Capcom characters as particularly likely. Phoenix maybe, but that’s pretty much it. Unless by some miracle an RE character still happens.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Speaking on Shadow, I had heard that Sega had retweeted the Anniversary post about Knuckles, but not the One about Shadow, which I know someone on 4chan said might be because there are further plans for him or something like that

But I don't know how to verify that though. even then, it might be a stretch to say this would have legit telling's of if Shadow was in FP2, but Speculation gonna be dry for a long time, so yes

In any case, I'm actually the most Confident in Shadow than I've been in awhile, but to say why in a whole post is gonna take awhile, and most of you guys probably won't read it anyway, but I'm still gonna make it anyway

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
They have gotten a lot of 'love' in the Mii department and a lot of spirits. It does lend one to think they won't get a fourth rep with this pass. But they still have a lot of IPs that could come out of no where. Hopefully, if they do end up being C11, we don't just get another SF character (Even if I would love Chun-Li, it'd suck if almost all Capcom's fighters were from the same IP).
Ah yes Power Stone for sure

ZelDan

Smash Master
By this I suppose you don't literally mean Zero as he appears in Mega Man Zero? Because that's what it kind of sounded like.
That Zero isn't the one who got AT'd, so no that's not who I was talking about.

That said, if we ever did get MMX Zero playable in smash, it would be nice if his MMZ design made it in as an alt.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah, while I'd personally be delighted to see Chunners as CP11 and make her one of my casual mains, I don't think she'd that good of a choice as Capcom's 4th rep; for example, there'd be quite a few people who'd consider that a letdown. Plus, I'd prefer Morrigan over Chunners due to the former likely being able to provide a moveset and playstyle different from the two shotos (such as being a more airborne fighter than the fighting game reps we've gotten).

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Wait

Communications would indeed be a bit difficult with western companies during the COVID era, but we're slowly getting out of that as of the time of this message. Additionally, the virus wasn't really a thing when FP2's content was ALREADY decided on, which should be in a time between E3 2019 and September 2019.
So COVID-19 doesn't really lower the odds of a western character imo.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its interesting that the novelty of three whole fighters per third party set by Capcom and Konami way back in the base game still has yet to be expanded upon. Not that I believe its a hard rule (even though I suspect if them, Square Enix, or Sega aren't producing the 11th fighter people will interpret it as such), just that if you'd told people back then that we'd be getting at least 10 DLC fighters, most probably would have predicted at least one coming from either company by now.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Anyone else half suspect Nintendo came up with the OLED because no Switch Pro exists and they wanted to kill the rumours of new hardware?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I wouldn't count out SMT.
I wouldn't count out SMT. Just Nahobino.

Though I do think a 2nd MegaTen character in Ultimate is pretty unlikely.

I'm still not convinced Nahobino has existed in a finalized state long enough for him to be considered about a year and a half ago.
Exactly. The Season 2 DLC was finalized back in the summer of 2019. I'd be surprised if Nahobino was more than concept art back then.

Again, Id sacrifice someones child for Layton. I dont care whos child it is, Im sacrificing them, **** your kid
Katrielle Layton dies

The last 2 AT upgrades were ATs from Smash 4.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Okay so since speculation is kinda meh at the moment who do you all want as the final character. No rules other than it has to be a video game character obviously.

Describe their trailer, who’s in it, what’s happening, what cgi characters from in the game already are going to appear and why those specific characters etc.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Anyone else half suspect Nintendo came up with the OLED because no Switch Pro exists and they wanted to kill the rumours of new hardware?
OLED feels like typical Nintendo. A fairly cosmetic upgrade to a console with some stand QoL improvements so it can be a little shinier to the general public. This was the same company that kept the original Game Boy going for 7 years and made its first new major model in 1996 via the GB Pocket for two straight years before even releasing the GB Color.

Everything about it is right within their wheelhouse.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
While I don't like to nitpick FE's representation in Smash, I think most of the blame falls on Corrin. Had that not happened, I don't think the reception to Byleth would've been nearly as bad. After all, I didn't really see many people complaining about Chrom upon his reveal

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Okay so since speculation is kinda meh at the moment who do you all want as the final character. No rules other than it has to be a video game character obviously.

Describe their trailer, who’s in it, what’s happening, what cgi characters from in the game already are going to appear and why those specific characters etc.
No

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Hayabusa. We all want Hayabusa.

His trailer is just the intro to Ninja Gaiden 1, but with Sheik and Greninja instead.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

I won't say trailer because I suck with descriptions and it'd be tiring af

I will say however, I want Shadow the most. I've said it before and I'll say it again, just put him in this game as a playable fighter and I will never ask Sakurai for anything ever again, not even Dante or Zero.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. Pretty much. RE is out, MH is out, and Dante's out. There's not a lot of likely Capcom reps left.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't really think people would be upset about Hayabusa. No more than the inevitable portion of people who'd be upset with any character.
Anyhow, I have nothing against sword users. I only have a problem - less a problem, more just a pet peeve - with uninteresting sword users, of which there's only been one of in Ultimate's DLC cycle. Hero wields a sword, and they're interesting. Pyra/Mythra are a goddamn sword and they're super interesting.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I would go with the Heavy from TF2, animated entirely in Source Filmmaker (bar gameplay). So no other characters would appear, except those from TF2.

Actually maybe SFM could be used for any Valve character trailer, if Valve/Sakurai wanted to of course.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
To be completely fair. Tekken was “disconfirmed” at Min Min so y’know there is something there. Not much but something.

Still I can’t see any of the other unrepresented Capcom characters as particularly likely. Phoenix maybe, but that’s pretty much it. Unless by some miracle an RE character still happens.
The thing with Kazuya and Heihachi mii is that the Mii didn't have to come with Kazuya. The Mii are separate from the challenger pack, and we had many mii who come from franchise completely unrelated. The difference with Resident evil for example, is that spirits need to be from the same franchise as the challenger. With Kazuya they could just throw the last Namco mii and other unrelated mii, but they can't just put random spirit on the Resident evil spirit board. So if they knew that a Resident evil character was planned, they wouldn't have made a separate spirit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom