• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ummm.... a heheh..... I uhhh... got... caught up in the hype and everyone was yelling that they locked the twitter so hard that I forgot to read...

I GOT CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE MAN, LEAVE ME BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
That's not hype.

That's just laughing at people for something bad happening to them.

You didn't post it because you were excited.

Shroob

Sup?
Stalker 2 is alright but I never liked the first one anyway.

I didn't come back for months and the discussion didn't evolve that much except for the obvious mii costumes reveals.
It's not the "trolls" or the "gatekeepers" fault, it's the fact it's taken a long time between reveals for discussion to actually happen.
If we get one reveal, you won't suddenly have a new wave of exciting discussion happening. It'll still be boring, except we'll have one character expected instead of two. The biggest shift will be "Crash and/or Master chief were not revealed at E3 so they definitely are not DLC" if my predictions are correct. But that's it. Nothing new will suddenly happen.
Yeah, I don't think people really understand what the next several months will be like fully.

Hey, to each their own, if you think this'll be extremely exciting speculation time, then by all means, just, don't say I didn't warn ya when the community feels like a deflated whoopie cushion.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, I get where you're coming from, but you also need to look at the big picture here.

Revealing it all at once may be boring sure, since that's it, that's the end.

But so will the next several months where the entire community sets their collective hype levels of "Meh", simply because they'll convince themselves that FP11 is gonna blow chunks.

Like, if we're in a dry spell right now, imagine our gold fish brains when the 'new' factor of CP10 wears off and we realize "Oh, 3-4 months til CP11, and Smash always ends on a low note so why be excited?" You may be excited, and hell, I'll be cautiously optimistic, but we can't kid ourselves, we know that the greater majority of the community will take up this stance, we just know it. The only way for this to not happen would be if say, Sakurai made a big deal out of CP11's reveal date and you don't wanna miss it and it'll be craaaaaazy, but if we get a solo reveal, we almost assuredly wouldn't get a date for CP11, unless Sakurai wanted to make a big deal out of it early.
After Min Min changed things up? Eh, I don't see it being even close to like that.

To me, I felt speculation skyrocketed to a very good thing once they announced it's an ARMS character. Spirits and AT's were shown as back on the map, advertised as possible. I loved how much there was to talk about. And it's only because they gave less information that it worked. I thought it was the best time for speculation we've had. No leaks, actual real civil and unique discussion.

I'd rather have that back. Obviously all didn't like it, but you don't need to do a general character thing either. Just taking the time to keep the train rolling throughout the year fixes it better, imo.

Nonetheless, it's still what I found more healthy than trying to throw it all out at once. I never felt this place stagnated due to a lack of reveals anyway. There was always new ideas to discuss, but only cause the characters were given out slowly with unique stuff you'd never have expected. The fact of the matter is, there's too long of time to talk(a three year DLC cycle) that no matter how quickly you showed them, it would've stagnated discussion anyway. There's been somewhat less stagnation each time a character was slowly revealed, so, imo, I think the time between them has created a better environment for thoughts to be heard and said. Look at how quickly pages still go by, and it's not just repeated points anyway. It does happen, but I feel it's barely 1/10 of the time, maybe slightly more.

So, basically, show me one reveal and watch as speculation is turned on their heads again. Monster Hunter being dead changed everything alone. If that kind of thing keeps up, things will become more interesting.

...No, I can't figure out an easier way to reduce some of this. >.<;

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I leave for three weeks five seconds...
What's goin' on?
I made a mistake and people decided to drag me through the mud, raise my blood pressure and degrade/question my character over it even after I owned up and admitted my mistake-making. Some people just can't let a meme be a meme or let things go. Real people on the other ends of these typewriters, dudes.

Apart from that... eh. Not too much. Same talking points about whether or not E3 will have a double character reveal or only one. I'm team double, but that's also because I personally want that.

Shroob

Sup?
After Min Min changed things up? Eh, I don't see it being even close to like that.
Min Min changed the rules that Spirits didn't deconfirm sure, but I'd be hard pressed to say that people found her reveal exciting, especially after the 3 month wait that was the ARMs guessing game, something that I don't think is a long-shot to say a lot of the community's least favorite part of this entire speculation cycle.

To me, I felt speculation skyrocketed to a very good thing once they announced it's an ARMS character. Spirits and AT's were shown as back on the map, advertised as possible. I loved how much there was to talk about. And it's only because they gave less information that it worked. I thought it was the best time for speculation we've had. No leaks, actual real civil and unique discussion.
And that's good, but in the long run, how much has that actually changed? Last I checked, we don't have a Dante, Lloyd, Crash, Master Chief, etc spirit or Assist Trophy, and despite that, they're still talked much, MUCH more than any other character, with only really Waluigi gaining any ground despite this apparent shift. Rex and Eggman too.

I'd rather have that back. Obviously all didn't like it, but you don't need to do a general character thing either. Just taking the time to keep the train rolling throughout the year fixes it better, imo.
That's definitely your opinion. I'd say the community at large severely disagrees with you thinking that the ARMs game was any semblance of fun.

Nonetheless, it's still what I found more healthy than trying to throw it all out at once. I never felt this place stagnated due to a lack of reveals anyway. There was always new ideas to discuss, but only cause the characters were given out slowly with unique stuff you'd never have expected. The fact of the matter is, there's too long of time to talk(a three year DLC cycle) that no matter how quickly you showed them, it would've stagnated discussion anyway. There's been somewhat less stagnation each time a character was slowly revealed, so, imo, I think the time between them has created a better environment for thoughts to be heard and said. Look at how quickly pages still go by, and it's not just repeated points anyway. It does happen, but I feel it's barely 1/10 of the time, maybe slightly more.
I don't agree with this at all. From my own experience, I took a break between Pythra and like, the 2nd week of May, and when I came back, nothing had changed, we were beating the same topics into the ground now as we were back then. People will still talking about Crash, and Eggman, but now Master Chief was thrown into the mix, and it's not hard to see that people are burnt out of this cycle. The fact is, even if you do take breaks, if nothing changes during those period give or take a single front-runner being talked about more, how exactly is that 'fun'? If anything, I'd say that's actually extremely unhealthy for the community.

So, basically, show me one reveal and watch as speculation is turned on their heads again. Monster Hunter being dead changed everything alone. If that kind of thing keeps up, things will become more interesting.
I'm sure that speculation will be "turned on its head" regardless of who it is. But again, one character left, and this community is already poised to go into "Well, Smash always ends on a low note, right?" And even then, how much do you expect to change, realistically? If it's a front runner, well, we talked about them to death. If it's not, well, even if it's flawed to say so, people will say "Well, Smash ends on a low note so they're not happening, probably a Nintendo shill pick."

That's just how things are.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly speaking, no matter which the final two characters are, they will end up being a lightning rod for hate and complaints by people. Even if they end up being in the Waluigi/Crash/Hayabusa/Master Chief/Doom Guy/Sora crowd, even people who wanted them will find some reasons to complain. And it will be absolutely worse when/if they don't reveal a FP3 which means they will get it the hardest.

Either way, I'm more curious how they'll play than anything else so I won't judge until then, even if it is someone I wanted.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I made a mistake and people decided to drag me through the mud, raise my blood pressure and degrade/question my character over it even after I owned up and admitted my mistake-making. Some people just can't let a meme be a meme or let things go. Real people on the other ends of these typewriters, dudes.

Apart from that... eh. Not too much. Same talking points about whether or not E3 will have a double character reveal or only one. I'm team double, but that's also because I personally want that.
You don't understand. You made a mistake. This is unforgivable. We are mature but will not stop reminding you of this until... Tomorrow because I'm going to sleep. :mybodyisreggie:

I leave for three weeks five seconds...
What's goin' on?
Nothing interesting shown at the Square Enix show except the last two minutes.
The suffering was even worse when I had to watch it in 144p due to my poor connection.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
You don't understand. You made a mistake. This is unforgivable. We are mature but will not stop reminding you of this until... Tomorrow because I'm going to sleep. :mybodyisreggie:
"YEAH, and we'll tell you that you're some kind of schoolyard bully who kicks people while their down despite you openly saying a few days ago that you do not tolerate disrespect YEAAAAAAAH take that!"

I mean jiminy christmas hahaha at least I got a couple people on my side here nyehhhh Sonic Heroes style.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't agree with this at all. From my own experience, I took a break between Pythra and like, the 2nd week of May, and when I came back, nothing had changed, we were beating the same topics into the ground now as we were back then. People will still talking about Crash, and Eggman, but now Master Chief was thrown into the mix, and it's not hard to see that people are burnt out of this cycle. The fact is, even if you do take breaks, if nothing changes during those period give or take a single front-runner being talked about more, how exactly is that 'fun'? If anything, I'd say that's actually extremely unhealthy for the community.
And the speculation would get even worse if any frontrunners are deconfirmed (such as Ryu Hayabusa being deconfirmed by multiple interviews; though there are still a few people holding out hope that the devs were lying in those interviews, discussion on Hayabusa has taken quite a long drop in frequency).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
At any rate I’ll be constantly checking r/GamingLeaksAndRumours so if Brushie does get the Nintendo information I’ll sound the alarm, regardless of whether or not they have Smash info
Please do! I don't care about spoilers so I want to see what they've got to say.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
At any rate I’ll be constantly checking r/GamingLeaksAndRumours so if Brushie does get the Nintendo information I’ll sound the alarm, regardless of whether or not they have Smash info
I personally wish you wouldn’t. We’re literally under 48 hours from knowing any ways. Leaks are just a significantly less fun Direct.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
And the speculation would get even worse if any frontrunners are deconfirmed (such as Ryu Hayabusa being deconfirmed by multiple interviews; though there are still a few people holding out hope that the devs were lying in those interviews, discussion on Hayabusa has taken quite a long drop in frequency).
Yeah, I'm... not too thrilled at the idea of further speculation. Having the final two characters before us so that we can argue/reminisce over them or whatever would be a huge sigh of relief IMO

YEAH that'd be great if you sounded the alarm! Part of the E3 hype for some people IS the surprise of seeing something new even if it is non-Smash.

I mean, sound the alarm sounds more like a "IF YOU CARE ABOUT SPOILERS, LEAVE NOW."
Yeah, that's how I read it too like "Man has entered the forest", that kinda thing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I personally wish you wouldn’t. We’re literally under 48 hours from knowing any ways. Leaks are just a significantly less fun Direct.
I mean, if someone wants to see them, that should be fine, just make sure to put that **** in like 3 spoiler tags so someone who doesn't wanr to see it won't have to

Eldrake

Smash Lord
This "I'm going to kill Chaos" stuff is so unintentionally hilarious to me because each time I hear it, it never fails to reminds me of Black Mage ranting about the concept of killing chaos in 8-bit Theater.

Anyway, Capcom will automatically get a D- from me if they don't show us Dragon's Dogma 2. :4pacman:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
This "I'm going to kill Chaos" stuff is so unintentionally hilarious to me because each time I hear it, it never fails to reminds me of Black Mage ranting about the concept of killing chaos in 8-bit Theater.

Anyway, Capcom will automatically get a D- from me if they don't show us Dragon's Dogma 2. :4pacman:
I'm a raging Sonic fan, so every time I hear "Chaos" no matter the context, I assume Sonic hahahaha. I hear "I'm going to kill Chaos" and I immediately think of like... Super Sonic saying that as he flies off into Station Square to fight Chaos hahahaha

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm going to destroy Chaos
I come up from a chaotic football / soccer game which went seemingly all over the place, and the first thing I see when I open up this thread?

Pack it up ladies and gents, this E3 is already 10 / 10. :4pacman:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
At the end of the speculation, despite fighting, you'll always remain my brothers in speculation, it was a superb moment.

We can say, we truly were the...

Super Smash Brothers
My wife called me a Super Smash Brother after I slammed my fist through a table and put a dent in my former boss's file cabinet.

We all had a big laugh about it. I'm happier as a stay at home dad anyway.

I've hidden spoilery **** for big stuff in multiple spoiler tags before, think the issue was making like 20 for a meme
Makes me think of the retro cartoon door gag.

noentry.jpg

I'd be FURIOUS if someone did that to me in real life hahahaha it'd be cute at first but 3 doors later I'd be done haha

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Min Min changed the rules that Spirits didn't deconfirm sure, but I'd be hard pressed to say that people found her reveal exciting, especially after the 3 month wait that was the ARMs guessing game, something that I don't think is a long-shot to say a lot of the community's least favorite part of this entire speculation cycle.
As I said, I thought it was actually good to have the guessing game. Her being in furthered made things better.

I'm not going to reply to the rest entirely cause I don't feel this'll go anywhere. I feel taking the time does create better and new discussion. And I don't remotely agree this place ever actually stagnated. Frontrunners is going to be a thing, but it doesn't actually make for stagnant discussion. We've constantly discussed more than them, as none are so laser-focused it became an issue.

Only one somewhat was Hero, but that's due to people taking insiders' personal opinions out of context, and gatekeeping against any character that wasn't Erdrick. ...And then it wasn't just Erdrick and people guessed mostly off anyway(It was the general Class, where Erdrick took a clear backseat to Luminary, but was definitely the second most important Hero represented).

I can't honestly say Min Min was close to that, nor was the ARMS Guessing Game. Now, some of the Rex bit was toxic, at least till Pythra was revealed and it was noted that Rex was absolutely considered and that he couldn't make it in for technical reasons, which shut down the gatekeeping a lot better than most cases.

That said, let's just agree to disagree, but I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on this.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They think they're the foretold Warriors of Lights
Nomura just confirmed they're not the FFI Warriors Of Lights.
It's called Strangers in Paradises

So, they're going to die uh? Bait and Switch everyone?

Shroob

Sup?
As I said, I thought it was actually good to have the guessing game. Her being in furthered made things better.

I'm not going to reply to the rest entirely cause I don't feel this'll go anywhere. I feel taking the time does create better and new discussion. And I don't remotely agree this place ever actually stagnated. Frontrunners is going to be a thing, but it doesn't actually make for stagnant discussion. We've constantly discussed more than them, as none are so laser-focused it became an issue.

Only one somewhat was Hero, but that's due to people taking insiders' personal opinions out of context, and gatekeeping against any character that wasn't Erdrick. ...And then it wasn't just Erdrick and people guessed mostly off anyway(It was the general Class, where Erdrick took a clear backseat to Luminary, but was definitely the second most important Hero represented).

I can't honestly say Min Min was close to that, nor was the ARMS Guessing Game. Now, some of the Rex bit was toxic, at least till Pythra was revealed and it was noted that Rex was absolutely considered and that he couldn't make it in for technical reasons, which shut down the gatekeeping a lot better than most cases.

That said, let's just agree to disagree, but I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on this.
Well, that's definitely your opinion alright, but agree to disagree it is.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I've been caught up on E3 and... yeah, I'm not really feeling it either. We have gotten some decent stuff like Stalker 2 and Metal Slug Tactics, but that's unfortunately outnumbered by overproduced cinematic trailers, endless corporate synergy talks, and games that just don't look that unique or interesting.

Here's to hoping Nintendo brings some cool things to show.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom