• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If /v/'s odd choice is Porky, what would Smashboards has as a specific choice?
I'd say any AT, considering how long it took for people to warm up to the possibility. They used to be massively gatekept against. Like, ouch. Nowadays, there's barely anyone that actually gatekeeps. Most are just skeptical of their chances or think they have a fair chance(with a few confident in some being upgraded this pass).

Not sure if any other character would be an obvious oddball pick here. Not counting joke suggestions alone.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Sergeant Cortez? I mean, this is the only place I've ever seen Cortez mentioned.

That aside, I think we've been quite wide ranged with characters and so I don't think Smashboards in general has a specific choice.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I've been caught up on E3 and... yeah, I'm not really feeling it either. We have gotten some decent stuff like Stalker 2 and Metal Slug Tactics, but that's unfortunately outnumbered by overproduced cinematic trailers, endless corporate synergy talks, and games that just don't look that unique or interesting.

Here's to hoping Nintendo brings some cool things to show.
Honestly... IMO, if all Nintendo did WAS show the next Super Smash Bro... and NOTHING else, it'd probably get me more hyped than anything that was shown here, even if it's a character I'm not personally hype about.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Porky still. I've been spouting this conspiracy theory for literal years now whether or not random strangers on 4chan take that into their account like it's something they all collectively just discovered.

Probably ain't him though, but goddamn why isn't he in the game? :127: I think Porky offended Sakurai tbh.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's a choice that's spread to most corners of the Internet at this point, but I'd still say Reimu. Smashboards was the first place I saw the idea seriously brought up and it's the place where Reimu generally gets the least amount of skepticism.

That being said, it's really tough to think of a character who is popular exclusively within our borders. Maybe Ayumi?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly... IMO, if all Nintendo did WAS show the next Super Smash Bro... and NOTHING else, it'd probably get me more hyped than anything that was shown here, even if it's a character I'm not personally hype about.
Enjoy Bubsy and Mr. Doodle then.

For real I agree that Nintendo was the thing to look forward to the most here but I swear it's obvious that others get dismissed for not being Nintendo regardless of quality considering how many times I see people act like MS had a **** show, especially as that's common

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
gonna be real, im genuinely expecting the last 2 to just be first party picks

i think this pass is mostly just characters they wanted to add base game but for whatever reason couldnt. I really do think people are overhyping themselves right now. But that tends to happen almost every time to be fair

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Ah, right.

We as Nintendo are now proud to announce Federation Force 2
Coming this Holiday season 2021.
:bowsette:
They could announce in the same direct that they managed to solved global warming, find a way to definitely beat cancer and call the terraforming of Mars and still considered the worst of the worst if that actually happens as well.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I've got a question. Have fighter announcements ever interrupted the schedule for spirit events/tourneys? I just realized that we will get a fighter announced on the same day that they would announce a spirit event. I'm asking as I'm still cautiously looking out for a Famicom Detective Club spirit event and hopefully we'll get a Ninja Gaiden event just to get some kind of content for it

I think there were a couple times where they didn't announce anything on Tuesday which was followed by either a character, a special announcement or...a delayed event. But I wonder what would happen the day of.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
im genuinely expecting the last 2 to just be first party picks
If this happens, I can almost expect riots in the streets, Lesser third party, weaker third party and a first party.

But two first party picks?

You want war to happens? And people complain that "the fighter pass 2 wasn't worth the price"?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
At this rate, Nintendo could easily blow the rest of E3 away even without smash simply by announcing Metroid 5.
Wink wink nudge nudge Nintendo.
Let's meet in a very specific middle hehehehehe.

New Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter game with Samus as a guest fighter. Deal?

Size Pret.png

Enjoy Bubsy and Mr. Doodle then.

For real I agree that Nintendo was the thing to look forward to the most here but I swear it's obvious that others get dismissed for not being Nintendo regardless of quality considering how many times I see people act like MS had a **** show, especially as that's common
Microsoft had an alright show, it just wasn't for me personally. I'd say they did alright, I didn't hate it. It just wasn't for me.

A little "Dead or Alive 7" mighta sold me an Xbox hehehehehehe

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
gonna be real, im genuinely expecting the last 2 to just be first party picks

i think this pass is mostly just characters they wanted to add base game but for whatever reason couldnt. I really do think people are overhyping themselves right now. But that tends to happen almost every time to be fair
Not even sure who the first party picks could be if Nintendo's sticking to their guns of Switch-game characters though.

Astral Chain and Ring Fit would have been games I'd say, but both got DLC Spirit Events.

Pokemon's a looming threat, but that's just Pokemon for you.

So what's left? BotW? There's no real candidates unless you pick 1 of the 4 champions, which I doubt they'd pick 1, or something silly like a Lynel. Ayumi for FDC? I guess? As like super last minute promotion?

Nintendo's spread thin if they stick to the whole Switch-only deal.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That being said, it's really tough to think of a character who is popular exclusively within our borders. Maybe Ayumi?
Geno is considered "widespread" now, but this website was their ground zero, wasn't it?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Porky still. I've been spouting this conspiracy theory for literal years now whether or not random strangers on 4chan take that into their account like it's something they all collectively just discovered.

Probably ain't him though, but goddamn why isn't he in the game? :127: I think Porky offended Sakurai tbh.
Same here, but to be faire this conspiracy is nothing new and was already on 4chan.
It's just the momentum that suddenly brought these people back, possibly due to Pyra and Mythra's reveals.
I'm glad the character is somewhat popular somewhere, even if it's /v/. But Porky clearly stole Sakurai's sandwich, explaining his absence.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Let's meet in a very specific middle hehehehehe.

New Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter game with Samus as a guest fighter. Deal?

View attachment 318993

Microsoft had an alright show, it just wasn't for me personally. I'd say they did alright, I didn't hate it. It just wasn't for me.
That's fair, but that's not the thing I'm talking about, it's surprisingly common for Nintendo fans to claim everything that's not Nintendo sucked by default of not being Nintendo instead of judging for their own merits

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not even sure who the first party picks could be if Nintendo's sticking to their guns of Switch-game characters though.

Astral Chain and Ring Fit would have been games I'd say, but both got DLC Spirit Events.

Pokemon's a looming threat, but that's just Pokemon for you.

So what's left? BotW? There's no real candidates unless you pick 1 of the 4 champions, which I doubt they'd pick 1, or something silly like a Lynel. Ayumi for FDC? I guess? As like super last minute promotion?

Nintendo's spread thin if they stick to the whole Switch-only deal.
looming threat
bro you were three letters away from triggering a PTSD attack

those that were in the social in 2019 know what I’m talking about

…anyway stan Veemo 🐙

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
That's fair, but that's not the thing I'm talking about, it's surprisingly common for Nintendo fans to claim everything that's not Nintendo sucked by default of not being Nintendo instead of judging for their own merits
Oh I know what you're on about. I used to be that way until the Wii U's failure was undeniable. Wii U's failure "un-fanboyed" me.

So what's left? BotW? There's no real candidates unless you pick 1 of the 4 champions, which I doubt they'd pick 1, or something silly like a Lynel.

Saria with a Deku Stick. Like... build on Minecraft Steve's "oh no his sword broke" mechanic with Saria with a Deku Stick that she can light on fire at the cost of losing the stick for a bit. And then just say "ehhhh it promotes Ocarina of Time on Switch" and then OoT on Switch will somehow be a thing.

I'd buy it.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
smash has a history of pretty low key or lame final chars

smash 4 ended with Bayo and Corrin
Smash ult base game ended on ken and incineroar and plant
pass 1 ended with byleth

I really dont think the last 2 chars of this pass are gonna be absolutely massive, i think sephiroth was the last "huge" character were getting. I think everyone else added now will be smaller scale to most people.
So I really do genuinely think everyone who thinks dante, master chief, crash, etc are getting in are going to be disappointed
who knows whos getting in but i really do think the last 2 characters arent gonna be knock your socks off huge amazing gaming icons.

Expect something like Medusa, some smaller 3rd party maybe or something tbh. Maybe im wrong and itd be hype to be wrong but yeah

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
There's not many first parties left to add that would have decent reception. There are a few, such as Waluigi or just about any Zelda rep that isn't another Link, but there's not many.
Is it really "overhyping" to not be expecting the worst possible outcomes? I've only gotten burned once out of nine times.
Besides, most of my hopefuls (that have reasonable shots) is a lower-key third party who wouldn't be seen as a "knock your socks off huge amazing gaming icon" anyhow. And then there's Porky who's a first-party.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

pass 1 ended with byleth

I really dont think the last 2 chars of this pass are gonna be absolutely massive, i think sephiroth was the last "huge" character were getting. I think everyone else added now will be smaller scale to most people.
So I really do genuinely think everyone who thinks dante, master chief, crash, etc are getting in are going to be disappointed
who knows whos getting in but i really do think the last 2 characters arent gonna be knock your socks off huge amazing gaming icons.

Expect something like Medusa, some smaller 3rd party maybe or something tbh. Maybe im wrong and itd be hype to be wrong but yeah
How will I be disappointed by Medusa? You can’t be all doom and gloom about the prospects and then drop a top tier choice as a bad news scenario.

Ivander

Smash Legend
didn't even know someone could be named Adol. :191: Fill me in.
.......I mean.....there's one who has it in their name......just one letter missing...

Anyway, Adol Christin is the lead protagonist of the Ys series, created by Falcom, that has been around since 1987.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
How will I be disappointed by Medusa? You can’t be all doom and gloom about the prospects and then drop a top tier choice as a bad news scenario.
Nah man Id be so hype for Medusa but to the average smash player/nintendo person theyd probably be upset cause its not dante or chief is what im getting at (even tho she should have been in the game already anyways, and shes really cool)

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I know for a fact that if any of my Most wanted characters end up being one of the final two(Reimu, Sol Badguy, Kazuma Kiryu) then I know people will riot on the streets.

I doubt they'll get in but it would be nice if at least one of them gets into Smash.

I feel like we may get one big character and one more low profile character as one of the final two.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Did you really need to remind us of that, Rie?
YR be all like
DON'T COME CLOSER.png

hahahaha

pass 1 ended with byleth

Honestly, I'm of the same opinion. If it's a third party, it's gonna be like... Amy Rose or some other "friend of a 3rd party character" or like "It's one of the boxer girls from Fitness Boxing" which to most people won't be Fruit of the Super Happy Tree but.. hehehehe. I can't say no to a boxer girl.

TRULY, to me as hype as it gets is "Shadow the Hedgehog and Waluigi"... which will get hated on and dragged through the mud purely for not being "Crash Bandicoot and Master Chief" even though there would be lots of people (myself included) who would LOVE that combo being the end.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The negative feelings towards E3 this year are far too widespread across multiple platforms to just be "lol Nintendo good, anything else bad". /v/ and Twitter wouldn't be agreeing the show is bad for the same reasons if it was just a bubble of fanboys causing a ruckus. Plus, I think the critiques being brought up this year are relatively fair and consistent. Complaints about misleading trailers have been present for the better part of a decade but filler really has been a major issue this year. It's tough to get excited about cool announcements when you have to shift through uninspired products and dozens of miniature Ted Talks from developers you've never heard of.

I agree with you that Microsoft's show is getting more grief than it deserves, but that's the Internet for ya. The only acceptable opinions online are "This is life-changing in an amazing way" and "This is life-changing in a terrible way" with everything else just being converted to whichever of these two extremes they are closer to. Microsoft is underwhelming, so people act like Bill Gates came on stage and personally deleted Halo Infinite's development info before the crowd's eyes.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There's not many first parties left to add that would have decent reception. There are a few, such as Waluigi or just about any Zelda rep that isn't another Link, but there's not many.
Is it really "overhyping" to not be expecting the worst possible outcomes? I've only gotten burned once out of nine times.
Besides, my most wanted (that has a reasonable shot) is a lower-key third party so it wouldn't be seen as a "heavy-hitter" anyhow.
People here have an irrational need to fearmonger a whole host of characters across the board, even ones that would be "massively hype"
It's just thinly veiled **** flinging towards anyone that isn't their most wanteds at the end of the day

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Been here for years and ain't heard of this guy, didn't even know someone could be named Adol. :191: Fill me in.
The very long version:
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-4404#post-24156152

The short version:
Adol is the main protagonist of Ys, which is a very old action RPG and made by Falcom, who are some of the oldest game developers still around and had a lot of influence in action-RPGs, JRPGs, and computer games. It also took over my life for a good couple of months, during which I plugged the %$#@ out of him and made him a popular prediction via SNK parallels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom