• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai comments are pretty chill actually. Just goofing around with random nonsense.
We also have some extra elaboration on some of the details in the Mii trailer.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel like a Mii costume is a far cry from playable.

I think what the leak in question makes sense though. "We don't want a character of ours being associated with Smash" is honestly not even that hot a take for a 3rd party company to take. And sure, there definitely are cries of "Remake SMRPG!", but how many more are there of "Put Geno in Smash!"

I think the Chun Leak is about 50/50 until March, and even then I think this part of the leak is more the OP's opinion, but like, the SE stance on it is weirdly believable.
I guess so, disappointing if true.

I still think a mii costume and spirit contradicts the thought, though. They may not be a full fighter, but it’s still giving the fans something and associating him with Smash :I

I also find it weird since they don’t use him outside of stuff with Mario and aren’t choosing Smash stuff themselves; I would think it’d be Nintendo making him a mii, but idk.

I’ll keep it in consideration, though. Do you have a link to the leak? I’d like to share it in the Geno thread to see others’ thoughts about it.

Hopefully, if true, they’ll change their mind next game. After seeing PushDustIn’s latest tweets, I’ve realized his best shot is base game.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I still think a mii costume and spirit contradicts the thought, though. They may not be a full fighter, but it’s still giving the fans something and associating him with Smash :I

I also find it weird since they don’t use him outside of stuff with Mario and aren’t choosing Smash stuff themselves; I would think it’d be Nintendo making him a mii, but idk.

I’ll keep it in consideration, though. Do you have a link to the leak? I’d like to share it in the Geno thread to see others’ thoughts about it.
It's in Japanese:

It was translated in the last thread.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
What if March we get Crash and our speculation gets thrown for a loop and the E3 reveal is someone else?

I mean it's another day as usual since we never really ever predict anything right :4pacman: :4pacman: :4pacman:
See, it's kinda funny. I think the general sentiment is he's highly requested but mildly likely. Maybe better put, most people seem to think he's not as likely as he is popular. But because he's so popular he's sort of like the "free square" in bingo: doesn't really go against the grain or shape the direction of the rest of the pass.
Of course, that's not saying characters necessarily change speculation. I believe characters are chosen on an individual basis rather than conforming to a general theme, but at the same time I recognize there are redundancies: you probably won't see more than one character from a company in the same pass, nor characters that look or play too similar.
Again, if Crash gets in, I think people will celebrate or groan as necessary and then go "ok, now what?"

Shroob

Sup?

Hopefully, if true, they’ll change their mind next game. After seeing PushDustIn’s latest tweets, I’ve realized his best shot is base game.
As for your other point, not really no.

Warframe and River City Ransom have spirits in Smash, yet no one will associate them with Smash. Geno has a very vocal fanbase yeah, but to the majority of the people that pick up the game, they'll probably just see the Mushroom icon and think "Oh it's a Mario character."

I feel like there's a huge gravitational difference between Costumes/Miis and a full-blown playable character. The former are just cameos, the latter is an actual fighter.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Seeing as others shared who they’re still rooting for...

I’m still stanning Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle, Waluigi, Toad, King Boo, Goomba, Tom Nook, Gengar, Team Rocket (Jessie, James & Meowth), Chibi-Robo, Bandana Dee, Adeleine, Marx, Dark Matter, Louie, Bulborb, Plasm Wraith, Ninten, Giegue...

And our great king...

Porky Minch!
Alright, here's my list seeing the youth of this thread. Y'all can judge my taste how you'd like - I'd love to actually know what people think of my tastes, actually.

Reimu
Porky
Master Hand
Sigma
Guardian (BotW, Guardian Stalker specifically)
Marnie (Morpeko/Toxicroak/Grimmsnarl)

- Crack zone: -
Madotsuki (Yume Nikki protagonist, you uncultured knobs)
Nightmare Wizard
Mimi (Super Paper Mario)
Wilbell (Atelier)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's in Japanese:

It was translated in the last thread.

Okay, thank you :)

I think the Geno part sounds a bit dumb, but I can see it being true tbh. Hopefully they’ll eventually realize it’s genuine and change their minds, especially with Operation Starfall pushing for new SMRPG stuff as well instead of just Geno in Smash, and hopefully they’ll be able to easier than I initially thought if that rumor really is from around the time of the Smash 4 Ballot.

And that really sucks if it’s true SE attempted to give Nintendo the Mario content but they refused :(

As for your other point, not really no.

Warframe and River City Ransom have spirits in Smash, yet no one will associate them with Smash. Geno has a very vocal fanbase yeah, but to the majority of the people that pick up the game, they'll probably just see the Mushroom icon and think "Oh it's a Mario character."

I feel like there's a huge gravitational difference between Costumes/Miis and a full-blown playable character. The former are just cameos, the latter is an actual fighter.
I guess so, but I feel that point with the Mushroom icon can also apply to a fighter, especially with a new Mario stage from SMRPG etc. :p

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, thank you :)

I think the Geno part sounds a bit dumb, but I can see it being true tbh. Hopefully they’ll eventually realize it’s genuine and change their minds, especially with Operation Starfall pushing for new SMRPG stuff as well instead of just Geno in Smash, and hopefully they’ll be able to easier than I initially thought if that rumor really is from around the time of the Smash 4 Ballot.

And that really sucks if it’s true SE attempted to give Nintendo the Mario content but they refused :(

I guess so, but I feel that point with the Mushroom icon can also apply to a fighter, especially with a new Mario stage from SMRPG etc. :p
No, you didn't understand my point in the 2nd.

There's a big difference between a spirit, and a fighter. A spirit is just a cameo, nothing more. It's a nod to the fans and a part of the history of the series, but it's just a .png at the end of the day.

A fighter is, well, a fighter. They're the meat of Smash, the part that actually matters and gets people excited.

My guess, if this is real, is that Square is confused as to just why people want Geno, and think the only reason is to "Put him in Smash", with all the cries for a remake having an ulterior motive to also "Put him in Smash." They are, in this case, a company that has no idea what the fans are wanting out of them.

That is, if this leak is true, which we have no way of knowing. If Chun Li does show up in March, then things'll start getting spicy though.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Everyone is asking for characters, I'm gonna go with Henry Stickmin!
View attachment 296465
ayyyyyyyy Henry would be so cool. Shame hero stole the thinking emote from Henry. Would you believe that his only Nintendo appearance is thanks to Among Us? Unbelievable.

I once went to the twitch stream of Puffballs and asked him which henry spirits would he choose if he had the chance to add a few. He said Henry, Ellie, Charles and Right Hand Man would be his choice. And honestly it feels it has a shot at happening even if Among us is the new hotness.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No, you didn't understand my point in the 2nd.

There's a big difference between a spirit, and a fighter. A spirit is just a cameo, nothing more. It's a nod to the fans and a part of the history of the series, but it's just a .png at the end of the day.

A fighter is, well, a fighter. They're the meat of Smash, the part that actually matters and gets people excited.

My guess, if this is real, is that Square is confused as to just why people want Geno, and think the only reason is to "Put him in Smash", with all the cries for a remake having an ulterior motive to also "Put him in Smash." They are, in this case, a company that has no idea what the fans are wanting out of them.

That is, if this leak is true, which we have no way of knowing. If Chun Li does show up in March, then things'll start getting spicy though.
Oh, I see; so it’s like, they think people only want him in Smash and a new game just because Smash, and so they’re thinking “we don’t want them thinking he’s only a Smash Bros. character...we’ll just hand them a little bit of stuff...”

If true, their thoughts regarding the character himself are understandable, but they also sound...rather dumb...

Like, it wouldn’t cross their mind that people love their character and game...? What...?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Imagine if Chun-Li lands on March 8th, 2021 (aka International Women's Day).
That is something I'm wrestling with when I try to imagine when the next character will drop.

March is obvious, the new Amiibo come out then.

But between December 22nd(Sephiroth's release date), and March 1st, that's a 69 day gap.

Sephiroth launches exactly 70 days after Steve came out(Not revealed, came out), which, to me at least, makes it seem like DLC is back on track to be somewhat speedy.... but just 'how' early would this character come out? Or would they push it super late into March? I see no real reason to push it super late into March, but that's such an unknown right now that we have no way of knowing at this point in time.

Faso115

Smash Lord
That is something I'm wrestling with when I try to imagine when the next character will drop.
Zangief confirmed.

That would be pretty awesome. Some neckbeard with a YouTube channel might not like it a whole lot, though. :090:
Maybe they will rage for a little until they confirm she comes with this alt

Even if her Alpha costume is much better anyway, that should shut them up. (Look at them legs, CERO better not nerf them)

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, I see; so it’s like, they think people only want him in Smash and a new game just because Smash, and so they’re thinking “we don’t want them thinking he’s only a Smash Bros. character...we’ll just hand them a little bit of stuff...”

If true, their thoughts regarding the character himself are understandable, but they also sound...rather dumb...

Like, it wouldn’t cross their mind that people love their character and game...? What...?
Now you got what the leak was going for.

Again, we have no way of knowing if this leak is real(Until we see the Chunster and the Tales of rep pop up), but if it is, y'all in the Geno fandom need to have a come to jesus meeting with Square and make them understand it ain't just about Smash, because 'apparently' Smash is all they see.

PacificFun

Smash Ace

But between December 22nd(Sephiroth's release date), and March 1st, that's a 69 day gap.

Sephiroth launches exactly 70 days after Steve came out(Not revealed, came out), which, to me at least, makes it seem like DLC is back on track to be somewhat speedy.... but just 'how' early would this character come out? Or would they push it super late into March? I see no real reason to push it super late into March, but that's such an unknown right now that we have no way of knowing at this point in time.
They could be announced early late February.

D

Deleted member

Cheers to Speculation Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo. It certainly came out of the blue, but we certainly needed a reboot after Geno ****ing died Sephiroth came out.

I want to know what the next tourney event will be since DLC characters have been getting tourneys related to them post-release starting with Hero. With Sephiroth, it could just be a villains only tourney or a tourney where the winner faces off against a lvl 9 Sephiroth CPU to win the entire tournament or die trying.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

I didn't think we'd get 3 characters in 2020 (well, 4 counting Byleth). I always assumed that the last character would come in the 11th hour, December 2021. But surprise surprise, we're halfway done already. This opens up a huge amount of breathing room tbh. Something like CP9 March-April, with a 10 & 11 reveal at E3 or equivalent timing, then 10 June-July and 11 September-October. We might see FP2 wrapped up with months to go in 2021.

RiderFan

Smash Rookie
Personally I'd feel like Ryu Hayabusa and Crash Bandicoot would make the roster feel "complete" in a way to me with whoever the third character is being the icing on the cake. It'd be great to see Cinderace, Dante, Phoenix, Hunter, Reimu, Lloyd, Kazuya, Chosen Undead etc. or a character I never would've thought before finish the dlc roster. Low key really hoping for a Space Invader too lol.

But yeah as long as Hayabusa gets in just to get Koei in there and complete the NES legends, I think I'd be pretty content with any of the choices for dlc.

Shroob

Sup?
I didn't think we'd get 3 characters in 2020 (well, 4 counting Byleth). I always assumed that the last character would come in the 11th hour, December 2021. But surprise surprise, we're halfway done already. This opens up a huge amount of breathing room tbh. Something like CP9 March-April, with a 10 & 11 reveal at E3 or equivalent timing, then 10 June-July and 11 September-October. We might see FP2 wrapped up with months to go in 2021.
I think that's more than likely to happen, the December deadline was always just a placeholder failsafe date.

I still say March is our month. Amiibo theory has held strong for over 2 years now, and at this point, can we really even call it a theory anymore when it just seems like marketing?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Whether that's true or not, and it probably isn't because it's 5ch, I suspect that if that were to happen, it would play out the same way regardless. I doubt Nintendo is interested.
I mean, owning all the rights to SE part of Super Mario RPG stuff must be pretty cheap for a huge company like Nintendo, and they still don't care? I thought companies were obsessed with trying to get as much stuff back in house as possible coughMarvelcough.

Faso115

Smash Lord
The Min Min-Steve gap seems to reinforce that COVID wasn't mostly the reason for the huge gaps but that Steve was a nightmare to program and design.

So if the next character takes a while to release, then i bet they are going to have a unusual gimmick.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, owning all the rights to SE part of Super Mario RPG stuff must be pretty cheap for a huge company like Nintendo, and they still don't care? I thought companies were obsessed with trying to get as much stuff back in house as possible coughMarvelcough.
I mean, there is the fact that the M&L SSS remake didn't even include the Geno cameo. I dunno if it'd be Alphadream or Nintendo to flip the bill for it, but they apparently didn't find said cameo necessary to return.

Frankly, it really doesn't surprise me, especially with how the Mario RPG series has turned out but that's another topic entirely. If anything, I'd say Sakurai may be one of the only bigwigs who really cares enough about SMRPG to include it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Min Min-Steve gap seems to reinforce that COVID wasn't mostly the reason for the huge gaps but that Steve was a nightmare to program and design.

So if the next character takes a while to release, then i bet they are going to have a unusual gimmick.
Despite being a programming nightmare, Steve development started during the lockdown and ended in September. So it doesn't matter how complex they are.

Shroob

Sup?

Depends how you classify late. Our rough average between characters is like, 80~something days, it's why Sephiroth's reveal was such a shock since he didn't even break 60.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Darn, when I saw the last thread was locked, I thought that some crazy drama happened and was curious to see what **** went down. Turns out we just simply got another thread instead. Baked that popcorn and grabbed my lawnchair for nothing...

Well anyways, uhhh, Chun Li. Can't say she's a character I ever really wanted, since I never really got into Street Fighter, but that said as someone that hasn't gotten into the series I'd still think her inclusion is still pretty damn cool.

Still not completely on board with the leak though. It's worth keeping an eye on for sure but I'll need more convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom