• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I thought you meant Emiya's issues were that he's kind of a punk ass.
Hey so uhhhh the site has an autocensor so the word I removed there would get censored automatically if you type it out normally. Censoring a single letter counts as dodging the censors and believe me, mods really like getting on your ass for that
I'm more talking about the whole Emiya Alterstuff and how his origin, not in lore but from a design standpoint is kinda yikes.
All my experience was the DEEN anime so I'll need a bit of clarification here. Though I'm assuming you mean how he suddenly has melanin

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'm more talking about the whole Emiya Alterstuff and how his origin, not in lore but from a design standpoint is kinda yikes.
Ah. My familiarity with Fate is limited to the original anime, Zero and UBW so I guess I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I will say that, if people are criticizing Xenoblade 2 character design, I wouldn’t exactly look to Fate for better examples. Both series are about as stock anime as you can get.
Hey so uhhhh the site has an autocensor so the word I removed there would get censored automatically if you type it out normally. Censoring a single letter counts as dodging the censors and believe me, mods really like getting on your ass for that

All my experience was the DEEN anime so I'll need a bit of clarification here. Though I'm assuming you mean how he suddenly has melanin
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So it's the same concept, but with less effort/thought put into it?

I guess that's "different" in a way, but eh, not enough to really matter as far as I'm concerned.
Which is why it's more like she's changing stats and specials with a visual representation of transformation.
It's not really 'less thought', as its likely exactly how Sakurai wanted it.
so pit has a gimmick then that he can switch stance from big sword to two small sword's even though that changes nothing at all?

they are all still regular moves, a gimmick should be something irregular or abnormal, byleth has nothing of the such, terry has a back b, that isn't normal it's a gimmick, pyra has a swap that's not normal it's a gimmick, byleth has a different up smash from their down smash, that's something everyone does.
It's still a gimmick, just not a mechanic-based gimmick.
Sakurai intentionally made the weapons correspond to certain directional inputs as a gimmick rather than just putting them in for random directions.
It's also a shorthand way of assuming the power, speed, and reach of an attack, for the most part, without knowing the moveset.

No other weapon-based character uses the same particular weapon based on directional input..you don't see Simon use an Cross for every Neutral Attack, you don't see Pit use an Arm for every Side attack, so it's still a unique gimmick, even if it's not a new mechanic.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Basically

Emiya, like a lot of characters, has an "Alter" version, which is usually the edgy, evil version. From a lore standpoint, Emiya's tanned because using his magic basically frys him, making his skin progressively more and more tanned, and Emiya Alter is basically when he takes that to the EXTREME where it basically burns him to a crisp.

Still with me?

Tl;dr, the person who was in charge of designing Emiya Alter for FGO designed him under the mindset of "What if Emiya went to prison", and the game isn't subtle about it either. When he's introduced, one character remarks he acts like a drug dealer, and in the Japanese version, there was a joke calling him "Detroit Emiya", or Demiya. Said joke never made it to the English version, and his skin color was changed in the English version to be less stereotype-ish.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Not sure how familiar you are with MH lore, but are the Gajalaka a bunch of masked tribal Felynes or are they a different species of creature?
Galajaka aren't feylines, they're more humanoid
mhw-gajalaka-concept-art2.jpg

And if a feyline would become a fighter, they'd probably be known as a prowler

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Basically

Emiya, like a lot of characters, has an "Alter" version, which is usually the edgy, evil version. From a lore standpoint, Emiya's tanned because using his magic basically frys him, making his skin progressively more and more tanned, and Emiya Alter is basically when he takes that to the EXTREME where it basically burns him to a crisp.

Still with me?

Tl;dr, the person who was in charge of designing Emiya Alter for FGO designed him under the mindset of "What if Emiya went to prison", and the game isn't subtle about it either. When he's introduced, one character remakes he acts like a drug dealer, and in the Japanese version, there was a joke calling him "Detroit Emiya", or Demiya. Said joke never made it to the English version, and his skin color was changed in the English version to be less stereotype-ish.
Hmmm yes, I see the issue here and I was partially right. El Grande Oof.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
No other weapon-based character uses the same particular weapon based on directional input..you don't see Simon use an Cross for every Neutral Attack, you don't see Pit use an Arm for every Side attack, so it's still a unique gimmick, even if it's not a new mechanic.
well we can agree to diagree i guess

i still think byleth is the most boring DLC character mechanic's wise but he's my 4th favourite DLC character so i think they're pretty cool despite that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Basically

Still with me?

Tl;dr, the person who was in charge of designing Emiya Alter for FGO designed him under the mindset of "What if Emiya went to prison", and the game isn't subtle about it either. When he's introduced, one character remarks he acts like a drug dealer, and in the Japanese version, there was a joke calling him "Detroit Emiya", or Demiya. Said joke never made it to the English version, and his skin color was changed in the English version to be less stereotype-ish.
Good ****ing god thats terrible

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's still a gimmick, just not a mechanic-based gimmick.
Sakurai intentionally made the weapons correspond to certain directional inputs as a gimmick rather than just putting them in for random directions.
It's also a shorthand way of assuming the power, speed, and reach of an attack, for the most part, without knowing the moveset.

Still makes Byleth less unique than BK, as their side special having limited uses per stock is an important part of their gameplay. Their neutral special also has a unique property to it.

Pillow

Smash Lord
well we can agree to diagree i guess

i still think byleth is the most boring DLC character mechanic's wise but he's my 4th favourite DLC character so i think they're pretty cool despite that.
Yeah I didn’t mind the inclusion of Byleth like a lot of people here, but his moveset really didn’t click for me. I really wish they focused on a different aspect of 3H for the character like battalions or something and just kept the chain sword for all his normals. The axe and bow both feel pretty terrible for all the moves they’re involved in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Still makes Byleth less unique than BK, as their side special having limited uses per stock is an important part of their gameplay. Their neutral special also has a unique property to it.
Honestly this makes me laugh as usually I see people insist Banjo was the only character without a gimmick despite the limited uses. I swear, some people think the word 'gimmick' inherently means 'evil bad unfun mechanic'

Ivander

Smash Legend
Magic circuits, son...yeah, I don't get why using alot of projection with heavy effects on your magic circuits equals a tan. That aside...
Basically

Still with me?

Tl;dr, the person who was in charge of designing Emiya Alter for FGO designed him under the mindset of "What if Emiya went to prison", and the game isn't subtle about it either. When he's introduced, one character remakes he acts like a drug dealer, and in the Japanese version, there was a joke calling him "Detroit Emiya", or Demiya. Said joke never made it to the English version, and his skin color was changed in the English version to be less stereotype-ish.
His skin was color changed to that of Regular Emiya. Which is fine. But yeah, his design was supposedly meant to be a stereotype to some sort of Japanese prison inmate or something similar or related to Ganguro, but the Detroit joke really does not help their case. Emiya Alter by himself is a great character, but I'm certainly hoping that they learned from the reception to his design.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Good ****ing god thats terrible
Yeah..sadly not a lot of Japanese people have experience with things outside of Japan through anything other than foreign media, so they sometimes take stereotypes that are offensive and aren't aware they're offensive..in this case they think 'this is what people in prison look like' based on the stereotypes present in our media..at least that's what I'm hoping happened..
Sometimes they're knowingly racist, but usually it's just down to being ignorant, like with the Native American G&W removed before release...and sometimes just accidentally due to not considering how something could be perceived due to it not being a think in Japan, like the Donkey Kong representing Mr. Sandman Spirit.. which would seem to be the best choice ability-wise but not for now it could be perceived..

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah..sadly not a lot of Japanese people have experience with things outside of Japan through anything other than foreign media, so they sometimes take stereotypes that are offensive and aren't aware they're offensive..in this case they think 'this is what people in prison look like' based on the stereotypes present in our media..at least that's what I'm hoping happened..
Sometimes they're knowingly racist, but usually it's just down to being ignorant, like with the Native American G&W removed before release...and sometimes just accidentally due to not considering how something could be perceived due to it not being a think in Japan, like the Donkey Kong representing Mr. Sandman Spirit.. which would seem to be the best choice ability-wise but not for now it could be perceived..
Nah the feather HAS to be because of an oversight as they censored that back in 2004 or some **** when they brought Fire to the GBA

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah..sadly not a lot of Japanese people have experience with things outside of Japan through anything other than foreign media, so they sometimes take stereotypes that are offensive and aren't aware they're offensive..in this case they think 'this is what people in prison look like' based on the stereotypes present in our media..
Due to its very long dark history with racism, American audiences in particular tend to be very sensitive towards this sort of thing, which is prevalent in lots of countries other than Japan. Japan just gets a lot of flak for its particularly tendency to black face in a lot of its media, which started from WWII propaganda.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh Im black, im 100% aware of how japan sees us sometimes lolthe donkey knog one is a strech tho, i didnt see anything wrong with that

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don’t think Byleth really has a gimmick. The motif of the moveset is using multiple weapons, but it doesn’t cause it to exceed the standard moveset framework.

Banjo does have a gimmick, it’s just one that doesn’t encompass the whole moveset/character. Rather, just one move. So, a bit like how Kirby has a gimmick.

I do think Banjo could qualify as a “gimmick” character, where Byleth doesn’t really, but you’d have to recognize some gimmicks are more comprehensive than others.

Doesn’t really matter in the end. And the premise this started from is inherently faulty.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I don’t think Byleth really has a gimmick. The motif of the moveset is using multiple weapons, but it doesn’t cause it to exceed the standard moveset framework.

Banjo does have a gimmick, it’s just one that doesn’t encompass the whole moveset/character. Rather, just one move. So, a bit like how Kirby has a gimmick.

I do think Banjo could qualify as a “gimmick” character, where Byleth doesn’t really, but you’d have to recognize some gimmicks are more comprehensive than others.

Doesn’t really matter in the end. And the premise this started from is inherently faulty.
i think sometimes people confuse unique moves for gimmicks.

Signatures only appear on the first post you made that page, and on mobile, they only show up when you rotate the phone horizontally
well next page i guess.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Nah the feather HAS to be because of an oversight as they censored that back in 2004 or some **** when they brought Fire to the GBA
Honestly, it was likely Sakurai trying to stay true to the original G&W Fire design unaware of it being racist.
Due to its very long dark history with racism, American audiences in particular tend to be very sensitive towards this sort of thing, which is prevalent in lots of countries other than Japan. Japan just gets a lot of flak for its particularly tendency to black face in a lot of its media, which started from WWII propaganda.
Pretty much, they rarely see other races, so most of their depictions end up based on media..especially if that media gets popular there like a lot of very racist cartoons & books they got from the same era as the Forbidden Looney Tunes shorts and even before.

Thankfully the internet age is starting to have a much more positive effect on how they depict other races in their media..but its still slow going..

Pillow

Smash Lord
i honestly dont know who to expect now. i was riding on monster hunter and they are out so what character am i going to irrationally assume is in now based on gut feelings?
I was hoping for Phoenix but that dream seems dead. Now I’m all in for Master Chief/Doomslayer + UwU anime girl east meets west duo to finish off the pass.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
i honestly dont know who to expect now. i was riding on monster hunter and they are out so what character am i going to irrationally assume is in now based on gut feelings?
Just hop on the Hayabusa train. It’s been going strong and has only gathered more momentum as time’s passed.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, it was likely Sakurai trying to stay true to the original G&W Fire design unaware of it being racist.

Pretty much, they rarely see other races, so most of their depictions end up based on media..especially if that media gets popular there like a lot of very racist cartoons & books they got from the same era as the Forbidden Looney Tunes shorts and even before.

Thankfully the internet age is starting to have a much more positive effect on how they depict other races in their media..but its still slow going..
... Hence why I called it an oversight as nobody in NoJ caught it and neither did NoA.

Oh no, Japan has it's own issue with this stuff, it's not always unintentional as lots of Japanese right wingers are fully aware of the implications. It's more like it's so normalized that people who don't know better assume it's fine.
Sasuke obviously

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
My only expected character was Pyra, though paired with Rex like most thought would happen. I have no expectations now..it could be anyone from Sora or Crash to Saber or Reimu.
I'm looking forward to whoever gets in though as, aside from Steve, I've loved everything addition even if they aren't ones I'd pick. We've gotten popular, obscure, Western popular, Japanese popular, Worldwide popular, 3rd Party, 1st Party, etc. Sky's the limit in our final stretch.
Oh no, Japan has it's own issue with this stuff, it's not always unintentional as lots of Japanese right wingers are fully aware of the implications. It's more like it's so normalized that people who don't know better assume it's fine.
Oh, I know, like the Dragon Quest composer and his BS views..I just tend to give the benefit of the doubt if they aren't 'loud & proud' about it since I understand how depictions in media can cause misconceptions easily, especially if there's no one to really correct your mindset..

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
... Hence why I called it an oversight as nobody in NoJ caught it and neither did NoA.

Sasuke obviously
the ending to Catherin is a bit, why? it really sucks.

Firox

Smash Master

I mean, you do have to take into account how racially homogenous Japan is. They still have some schools insist that all the kids have their hair dyed black even if their natural hair color is something else. Conformity is a huge part of their culture which is a total 180 from the US's hyper-individualistic mentality. Granted, both cultures have their pros and cons, but yeah, it takes a while for global cultures to overlap. In some cases though, some countries would prefer NOT to emulate western cultural norms. It's a pipe dream to expect the entire world to share all the same culture views since the demographics are unique to each area.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I know I added to the conversation, but we should probably get back off-topic before we get reprimanded.

I sure hope the Pyra Update gets put out soon..I'm eager to try her out. She has the power of Byleth and Mythra has the Speed of Lucina with both having the same moveset, aside from Specials, so I don't have learn two movesets and can use the same moves in different situations. She definitely seems like a new main for me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It might be a bit too soon to tell, but this seems to be the speculative scene for the time being:
  • Elma, KOS-MOS, and any other Xeno rep won't be seeing much attention anymore
    • Because of this, first-party discussion could go anywhere, now that the most obvious choice is gone and SwSh is no longer the most recent installment in the series
  • Monster Hunter is no longer one of the big "safe" frontrunners anymore
    • Capcom as a whole looks to be dead, actually. Some might argue otherwise, but the majority seem to believe that Capcom's not in a good spot. So no more Dante, no more Monster Hunter, no more Chun-Li, etc.
  • Crash and Hayabusa are the remaining "safe" picks, but the amount of time that's gone on without them getting in has put a damper on many people's expectations. There's been a growing stigma against "safe," oft-discussed picks, and faith in those two have been shaken.
  • All eyes are on Lloyd, the last remaining third-party Mii Costume. There's a split between "Lloyd's time is now!" and "Lloyd is DEAD, press F to pay respects." Single-company passes have let him delay his Mii's return, but will that be enough?
  • We now have hard confirmation that FP2 will be the end, and the possibility of FP3 has plummeted considerably. The last two will be the last we're getting it seems, so who knows how that'll affect attitudes.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm not gonna lie, Mythra looks busted to me. That Nair alone is pretty sick. It's like Byleth and Cloud's Sm4sh Nair had a super saiyan baby. Couple that with Pyra's INSANE kill power. I'm telling you right now, if Pyra's Up B is 9 frames or faster, we're going to be looking at potentially the deadliest out of shield option in the game.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I know I added to the conversation, but we should probably get back off-topic before we get reprimanded.

I sure hope the Pyra Update gets put out soon..I'm eager to try her out. She has the power of Byleth and Mythra has the Speed of Lucina with both having the same moveset, aside from Specials, so I don't have learn two movesets and can use the same moves in different situations. She definitely seems like a new main for me.
Mythra looks much faster than Lucina. Can’t wait to play Smash online with several seconds delay against Mythra spamming dodge to move around then switching to Pyra to spam Fsmash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reimu, Miku, and Haruka would be my top choices for that category yeah. My favorite 2hu character is Cirno, but that’s not happening.
Those three were my Weeby Trinity in 2010

that takes me back

idk about Miku tho specifically cause she’s technically a music software

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
  • Crash and Hayabusa are the remaining "safe" picks, but the amount of time that's gone on without them getting in has put a damper on many people's expectations. There's been a growing stigma against "safe," oft-discussed picks, and faith in those two have been shaken.
I'd say if Crash Bandicoot isn't Fighter #10 then he isn't in Smash. Fighter #10 feels like an 'E3 2021' pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom