• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As the level-headed, mature individual that I am, I have accepted Steve in Smash even if I personally don't care for it.

nah jk I still hate it but at least I tend to forget it's even in unless I am reminded

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Minecraft would be best represented as only a stage or mii costume. After seeing Steve's bonkers moveset though, he grew on me. Ive never played Minecraft, but I'm happy that him and Banjo-Kazooie both got in. Perfect ending to that weird rivalry that sprouted and gave us those gross Steve memes

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Despite me not doing this too much with the other DLC fighters other than Terry I’ll actually talk about Steve tomorrow. Got quite a bit of great stuff I wanna say on the character.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Steve time?

He's pretty much the face of a new era of #gamers. For people like me, it would be characters like Mario, Link, Sonic etc. For younger people, it's Steve.
Am I out of touch? No. It's the children who are wrong. :smash:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I actually really like Minecraft as a game. Haven't played it in a hot minute but I do enjoy it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve is awesome, he was my most wanted alongside Banjo-Kazooie. I love his moveset and everything, with my only nitpick being no C418 music 😔 (but I love the music we got). I’ve loved Minecraft since 2011 so yeah I was very hyped and happy.

And what an ugly, blocky face it is. :troll:
Nah he’s a handsome chad :shades:
741D6301-F4DD-4CEE-8B5F-00FD3EA78360.jpeg

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Opinions on Steve? I was disappointed. One of the few characters I didn't want to show up. Not super mad or anything like that. Just disappointed. I don't particularly care for him or his game.

Despite that, I understand with how large Minecraft is to the medium as a whole, its got the merits to join the series. That literal blockhead would move copies. No one else broke Twitter like he did. Still, he's a somewhat interesting character to fight, trying to get around his gimmicks.

I didn't give my opinions on Season 1 like that, but Joker was mid. Hero was neat. Banjo was neat. Byleth was disappointing. Banjo's style is pretty basic, but fun to mess around with. Hero I feel too compelled to just spam Down-B so I can get Final Explosion tm. Joker feels a bit Unga Bunga, I can just hit buttons and things tend to go well.

Terry Bogard? Now THAT'S a character. Legit one of my favorites to play. Great stage. Awesome music, with remixes and OGs alike. Cool spirit fights. Nice colors that reference his long history. His trailer is probably top 5 for me aside from Mega Man, Ridley, and Kazuya.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
(Surprised that there's so many fan art of Steve being buff or strong. Probably from lifting and carrying so much gold?)
Buff people generally have square bodies.

Steve being buff is a play on that.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Does "his series is stupid and Nomura ruined Final Fantasy!" count as mental gymnastics?
Nah that's just an opinion bro. You're entitled to that.

If you started spouting out **** about Disney and Mickey Mouse and Goku and **** that'd be mental gymnastics.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Steve is ****in funny I don’t give a ****. Some dudes need to learn to laugh.

And honestly his reveal made me remember that I was a big Minecraft kid. Not as big as my then (and current) Pokémon obsession, but an easy number two at the time. I felt a sense of fondness looking at the stage, seeing those classic Minecraft aesthetics. His moveset is really fun too, though not my favorite of FP2. Considering Minecraft is the best selling game ever made, I think this was a worthwhile inclusion.

Banjo and Steve win! They realize friendships more important!
FD850EE4-A127-4C86-8AD8-710487807C47.png

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Say what you will about Steve.

This track is one of the best in the game.

So I will say, as much as I don't care about Minecraft, I was blown away by his reveal. I was just so not ready for it happen because, since I don't play his game, I forget about him and it being the most popular game in the world sometimes. At that time, I had totally forgotten, and I thought Chief would be next instead for a number of reasons, should MS have gotten another character.

I recorded my reaction even though I didn't upload it, and I didn't recognize any of the sounds or all the other hints at all, but a millisecond before Steve's silhouette busts through I wondered outloud if it was Steve.

I watched his trailer multiple times for this song alone, so I tend to agree with you that this song slaps. His trailer was done so incredibly well that someone like me could actually be excited for him. The dev team for Smash Ultimate really has been knocking it out of the park in that regard.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, now that Bloomberg has confirmed that companies are developing games for Nintendo that will be 4K capable despite there not being a Switch able to handle that yet, it's clear that a real hardware upgrade of the Switch is coming...although we already knew that because of reliable insiders. The real questions now are, I believe, as follows:
  1. Other than 4K while docked, how much more of an upgrade is this new Switch gonna be? Will it just out-perform the Switch in every way?
  2. When is it going to be revealed as well as when is it going to be released? The timing will be very important for further speculation. It could be early next year, but there are some rumors and speculation about it being later next year. Maybe and early reveal an a later release?
  3. So many insiders and leakers of various level of credibility are talking about exclusive games for this new console. If this is true, will Nintendo be treating this as more of an improved version of the same console, or will they treat it more like a brand new console? This is important because one outlook just gives up a suped-up Switch with the same amount of time being dedicated to developing games for it, while the other mindset theoretically and expand the life expectancy through the roof.
I'm really curious about that last one because a lot of these games people are hyped for that are 1st Party come out next year. Bayonetta 3 looks like it would benefit from a massive upgrade in hardware, while 3D Kirby and Splatoon 3 could easily already be developed with that new hardware in mind. They could be planning to expand their work on the Switch for a lot longer than people anticipate, and a Switch that is just better in every way with plenty of time to develop games for it could allow for some re-hashes of older games or direct sequels this early to get a proper chance to shine with that new hardware.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Steve's cool but what's with the meat
It's apparantly a meme in Japan which is why it was made as a taunt. Personally, I like it as it adds to the chaotic nature of Steve being characterized, he gives no ****s about what others are doing and only really cares about creating things, because that's the fun way, with meat eating probably being "I'm hungry time to eat" without caring there's people around him and that he's busy. A carefree person uninterested in what's going on is surprisingly well done for a character without facial expressions, it's better than most characters in the cast imo

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oops, not sure what happened here.

So, show of hands on who will be watching live on the 5th!

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I absolutely love Steve's inclusion in this game. Everything about him from the Presentation, Moveset, Trailer and Music was a 10/10 for me. I was a huge Minecraft kid and seeing this god of chaos and destruction appearing in Smash bros. had me really happy and I'm glad he's here.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

the minimalist corporate logo trend needs to go I swear

like imagine Sega or Capcom or Square Enix changing their logo in a way that takes away their identity
Funny, I was just talking about how much I dislike minimalist UIs in games over Discord the other day

Guess it's not just in the games, eh?

De-friggin-lightful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom