• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thoughts I need to share today

-More details/Info in the Sora "Leak"

So it was actually figured out that the July "Disney Music" Post wasn't actually the first post claiming Sora on October 5th

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #565604656 (b4k.co)

This was about 5 hours before the Disney Music Post

Though it could have been a repeat from the same guy. 5 hours later, the Disney Music version of it would be posted, twice actually

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #565589861 (b4k.co)

one of the Disney Music version post actually got a reply, but the important thing is that the First post to ever Claim Sora on October 5th didn't even go into detail, just said Sora on October 5th

-The Kozumi speculation thing I'm not sure if it leads towards certain other characters or what. guess it shows you can make speculation out of anything. Whether you want to is the question though

-We know Harada and Sakurai didn't choose the DLC, Nintendo did

With that said, in Sakurai's Case at the least, that doesn't mean he had no role in some of the characters chosen. I don't believe that Joker, Banjo, and Terry as examples were Nintendo's Initial Top Picks for DLC, especially in the advent of Characters like Steve and Kazuya explicitly being requested by Nintendo heavily, where we never got that with characters like Joker, Banjo, Terry.

Nintendo would still have to agree to all the characters, they would still need to look at the merits of each character. Nintendo choosing the DLC doesn't mean they are the ones starting the conversation on every character yes.

And Harada wouldn't have any say in the character choices. The theory was that he knew about the Final Roster selection, not that he had an hand in it
getting big "Apex Legends character coming to Smash" vibes from this

needless to say i dont trust either leak

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So there's another leak yet about the Chief but no link whatsoever?
Mmmh.
im just gonna assume the latest Chief "leak" is another text one that probably also predicted October 5 as the final presentation date or some other detail like one of Kazuya's miis or something

no images or video? not worth my time

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Gonna be pedantic and say that middle English is also incorrect for Shakespeare, as Middle English is similarly archaic and unintelligible to most modern English speaking people as Old English is.

Shakespeare wrote in modern English, the same language you and I are speaking now. Every word he wrote is just as much modern English as the words "iPod" and "YouTube". His pool of vocabulary was just different as certain words have fallen out of use and language is always changing and evolving.

Sorry to be annoying but it's always a pet peeve of mine when people try to put Shakespeare into this "alien" camp of old and middle English. It's still modern English and not that different from us or difficult to understand.
That's my bad on the classification. As for it's understandability though, your mileage may vary. It's similar enough to how we speak that we can understand it, but it's different enough that students are being taught how to understand it nowadays, and when just listening to it, it often requires a bit more brain power to follow than normal; The vernacular there is anything but modern.

EDIT: Or I guess I should say current since modern in this context spans a way larger time frame than it normally does.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
don’t think it’s about master chief. I think it’s just a leak in general that’s flying around. The dude in the chief thread didn’t make it seem like it was a chief leak. He said it was just a leak
...May I see it?

(No.)

memes aside whys everyone so secretive abt this???

7NATOR

Smash Master
...May I see it?

(No.)

memes aside whys everyone so secretive abt this???
No Idea. People here are wondering what the guy was talking about. I haven't seen any other leak floating around on Gamefaqs, 4chan, or Papagenos Discord besides the Sora Leak.

I'm sure there might be some secret Discord server that has all the insider sharing their rumors or something. Wonder how to find those

Shroob

Sup?
No Idea. People here are wondering what the guy was talking about. I haven't seen any other leak floating around on Gamefaqs, 4chan, or Papagenos Discord besides the Sora Leak.

I'm sure there might be some secret Discord server that has all the insider sharing their rumors or something. Wonder how to find those
You don't. They'd be secret for a reason.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My only request if we get Sora is that they include both Hazardous Highway and Darkness of the Unknown for songs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i guess this is another reason im looking forward to smash ultimate ending

the "leaker culture" and all the ills it brings

you got people hounding legit leakers to a point they quit, you got this absurd amount of secrecy in some circles, you got liars pretending to be leakers for clout like Fatman, Zippo and HotGirl; and then you got the worst of them all: a certain hellspawn whos name starts with S. (and no i dont mean samushunter)

i hope next game doesnt have such inane levels of leaker culture insanity

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i guess this is another reason im looking forward to smash ultimate ending

the "leaker culture" and all the ills it brings

you got people hounding legit leakers to a point they quit, you got this absurd amount of secrecy in some circles, you got liars pretending to be leakers for clout like Fatman, Zippo and HotGirl; and then you got the worst of them all: a certain hellspawn whos name starts with S. (and no i dont mean samushunter)

i hope next game doesnt have such inane levels of leaker culture insanity
Yeah I don’t really care for the whole leaker culture in general. It is hard for me to have too much sympathy for legit leakers considering what they’re doing though.

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
often discussed that the final character has to be a megaton announcement, and in that vein I often see "well what if it was a 4th party non gaming character like Goku or Spongebob"? but I think that's still 1 step too far, the character has to have some relation to nintendo, so a 4th party nintendo character?

Oogtar Bros is it our time?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
often discussed that the final character has to be a megaton announcement, and in that vein I often see "well what if it was a 4th party non gaming character like Goku or Spongebob"? but I think that's still 1 step too far, the character has to have some relation to nintendo, so a 4th party nintendo character?

Oogtar Bros is it our time?
That show had a really catchy song too. Almost as good as the original cartoon’s opening.

I’d legit love to see Jessie and James and their intro trailer would lead off with the Team Rocket motto.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
That's my bad on the classification. As for it's understandability though, your mileage may vary. It's similar enough to how we speak that we can understand it, but it's different enough that students are being taught how to understand it nowadays, and when just listening to it, it often requires a bit more brain power to follow than normal; The vernacular there is anything but modern.

EDIT: Or I guess I should say current since modern in this context spans a way larger time frame than it normally does.
I think part of it is the way Shakespeare is taught in schools. He wrote plays and plays are designed to be heard and watched, not simply read. Even if you can't follow every word, a good actor can make it easy for you to follow the performance through inflection, body language, and context clues. Shakespeare writes about very intense and human emotions, and it something that can be understood by all even if the exact details (vocabulary) are fuzzy. It may require a bit more effort than something more contemporary, but it's worth it to get the full experience of his rich characters, stories, and language.

But enough on Shakespeare, how about that Smash Bros. Ultimate game. Pretty exciting stuff.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I feel like the only people that really had a problem with Banjo & Kazooie's moveset are those unfamiliar with the series and who haven't been holding out for them for the past twenty years. Most long-time Banjo fans/supporters I've seen quite like it. And it's hard to blame them; it's not a crazy, gimmicky, "DLC" moveset, sure, but wouldn't it feel forced on these two if it were?

It truly feels like the moveset they'd have gotten had they been added in 64 or Melee, a time capsule from a past we never saw.
I have only a few complaints. 1) Rat-a-Tat Rap really would have fit better as their FAir, and some variation of Pack Whack could've made for a better BAir, 2) Egg-firing feels slower than it should be, and 3) Breegul Blaster mode maaaybe could've had vertical aiming.
And those are truly the only changes I'd make to them given the chance. I'm happy with how they turned out overall. I would've been way more upset if they had a convoluted Split-Up mechanic or, "Opponents drop items that you have to pick up," gimmick.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like the only people that really had a problem with Banjo & Kazooie's moveset are those unfamiliar with the series and who haven't been holding out for them for the past twenty years. Most long-time Banjo fans/supporters I've seen quite like it. And it's hard to blame them; it's not a crazy, gimmicky, "DLC" moveset, sure, but wouldn't it feel forced on these two if it were?

It truly feels like the moveset they'd have gotten had they been added in 64 or Melee, a time capsule from a past we never saw.
There's nothing wrong with simple, gimmickless movesets, it's that the moves don't feel very fun to land alongside with moves not being as eyecatching. Like, Banjo's f smash is possibly the biggest failure when it comes to audio design in Ultimate, it's a kill move and should have the move feel good to use but instead of a loud, satisfy slam sound, you hear a rather weak "blegh" and Kazooie's animation is so short that it doesn't really stand out during the move compared to pretty much every other forward smash in the game

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Leaker culture wouldn't be a thing if people were smart enough to completely disregard so-called leaks and laugh them out of the room.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
King Dedede's going to be real interesting in the next Super Smash Bros. game.
Thicc Gordo
View attachment 331798

This has been: Probably the only time I'll ever use the word "thicc".
I noticed that too, I noticed everything in that trailer, I've watched it countless times and I'm probably the cause of it surpassing 1 million views.
EDIT: I even noticed the gorilla boss on the rooftop of the shopping mall, nobody else mentioned it yet so I'm probably the first one in the world to notice it /EDIT

I think I'll watch it every day until there is a new trailer, then I'll watch the new trailer until there are others, and so on until the game releases... then it will be the same but instead of watching I'll be playing until i get 100% on all the save files, then I'll go back to Kirby's Dream Land 3 as usual and play it over and over for all the eternity until Earth will look like the Forgotten Land.

Ok, now that I had my moment of Kirby insanity, do you think that, during the direct, the fact that they announced the date of the last Smash DLC just before the Kirby trailer means something or not? Do you think the character was supposed to be revealed in the direct but they changed it last minute (maybe the cause of the direct being delayed if it even was) so that it could be revealed the day of the release of the Nickelodeon game for reasons of competition?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There's nothing wrong with simple, gimmickless movesets, it's that the moves don't feel very fun to land alongside with moves not being as eyecatching. Like, Banjo's f smash is possibly the biggest failure when it comes to audio design in Ultimate, it's a kill move and should have the move feel good to use but instead of a loud, satisfy slam sound, you hear a rather weak "blegh" and Kazooie's animation is so short that it doesn't really stand out during the move compared to pretty much every other forward smash in the game
Wouldn't increasing Kazooie's role in the f-smash necessitate adding additional start-up or ending lag to the move though? And wouldn't doing that just make Banjo's moveset less fun overall by limiting the applicability of f-smash and forcing players to rely more on Wonderwing for KOs?

Noipoi

Howdy!
3DC6F177-66D2-49F3-A0A0-551552E72411.jpg

I think it’s pretty funny

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't increasing Kazooie's role in the f-smash necessitate adding additional start-up or ending lag to the move though? And wouldn't doing that just make Banjo's moveset less fun overall by limiting the applicability of f-smash and forcing players to rely more on Wonderwing for KOs?
You speak like Banjo players know they have kill moves other than Wonderwing lol.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Okay so the person who originally said a leak is flowing around reaches out to me to tell me what it was.

he says from what he’s heard, Nintendo Canada teased master chief in smash with a image post and then quickly deleted it straight away. He’s saying that if what he heard was true then someone out there will have an image and it’ll probably start to float around within the next couple of days.

that’s if what he heard was true

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The issue with Banjo's moveset is not in its simplicity but rather its fluidity, specifically its lack thereof.
We've had simple characters whose movesets mesh well, Mario, Pac-man, Sonic, Mega Man. They all fulfill their roles naturally and well... fun.

Conversely it feels a bit like Banjo is a disparate mish-mash of gameplay concepts and attacks. Playing him revolves fishing for stray hits and then pulling a hail mary smash or more specifically YOLO Wonderwing.

Even in the other DLC ,someone who is visually disparate like Byleth who pulls random weapons out of his ass, all his attacks mesh well together (except for the axe which is a designated yolo set of attacks) so he's actually pretty fluid to play despite the "jank" of the animations.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Sora's VA is very well known to be Haley Joel Osment, who is unionized, which Smash Bros. doesn't like to mess around with.

This wouldn't be a big deal if Osment hadn't been the voice of Sora for every single game the character's been in here in the States. Maybe they'd be able to pull a "Cloud and Sephiroth speak Japanese" thing again if it was any other character but Sora, who has a very distinct and iconic voice to many fans.

Having Sora speak Japanese would feel really off, and I doubt SE or (especially) Disney would let Nintendo just replace the voice actor. That's getting into a lot of extra legalities on top of the already complicated "Can we have Disney iconography in Smash?" stuff.

Yes, I'm sure fans will insist on ways around all of this, but at what point does Sora stop feeling like Sora to SE, Disney, and Sakurai? At what point does everyone involved look at what's possible and think "Eh, maybe not"? Especially with SE already getting monumental characters in both Passes?

I'd be very impressed with Nintendo's legal team if he does end up being F11, but I hope you can see why I've always seriously doubted his chances. These "leaks" are lucky guesses.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If it gets laggier to be more visually stimulating, add more power to compensate. Kill move design philosophy 101. Not to mention that the weak blegh has nothing to do with the move's frame data, so you can easily add a crunchy sound effect or even have Kazooie scream in pain or something. That alone makes landing the move feel significantly better.

Sidenote now that I think about it, has anyone ever seen other characters get praised specifically for a simple moveset? Like, Greninja, Ridley, Belmont and Byleth come to mind as they have no gameplay gimmicks period unlike Banjo yet I've never seen their movesets praised for that one thing in particular

D

Deleted member

Thoughts I need to share today

-More details/Info in the Sora "Leak"

So it was actually figured out that the July "Disney Music" Post wasn't actually the first post claiming Sora on October 5th

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #565604656 (b4k.co)

This was about 5 hours before the Disney Music Post

Though it could have been a repeat from the same guy. 5 hours later, the Disney Music version of it would be posted, twice actually

/v/ - Video Games » Thread #565589861 (b4k.co)

one of the Disney Music version post actually got a reply, but the important thing is that the First post to ever Claim Sora on October 5th didn't even go into detail, just said Sora on October 5th

-The Kozumi speculation thing I'm not sure if it leads towards certain other characters or what. guess it shows you can make speculation out of anything. Whether you want to is the question though

-We know Harada and Sakurai didn't choose the DLC, Nintendo did

With that said, in Sakurai's Case at the least, that doesn't mean he had no role in some of the characters chosen. I don't believe that Joker, Banjo, and Terry as examples were Nintendo's Initial Top Picks for DLC, especially in the advent of Characters like Steve and Kazuya explicitly being requested by Nintendo heavily, where we never got that with characters like Joker, Banjo, Terry.

Nintendo would still have to agree to all the characters, they would still need to look at the merits of each character. Nintendo choosing the DLC doesn't mean they are the ones starting the conversation on every character yes.

And Harada wouldn't have any say in the character choices. The theory was that he knew about the Final Roster selection, not that he had an hand in it
Link to a /v/ thread spammed to death by a porn comic, you love to see it.

1565707470345.gif

Anyway, given that all three of those posts were made on the same day, I'd say it's the same person. The question I have at the moment is why did they choose October 5? That's a long time ago to genuinely have that information, right? Right?

it's a kill move and should have the move feel good to use but instead of a loud, satisfy slam sound, you hear a rather weak "blegh" and Kazooie's animation is so short that it doesn't really stand out during the move compared to pretty much every other forward smash in the game
So it fits right in with the sound effects and animations from the original Banjo Kazooie... Got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What's this about the Sora leak? I know what it is and what you all are talking about, but if it is still credible, what makes it so?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So it fits right in with the sound effects and animations from the original Banjo Kazooie... Got it.
Idk man, pretty much every other character is able to be true to the original yet they don't seem to have this issue
Sora's VA is very well known to be Haley Joel Osment, who is unionized, which Smash Bros. doesn't like to mess around with.

This wouldn't be a big deal if Osment hadn't been the voice of Sora for every single game the character's been in here in the States. Maybe they'd be able to pull a "Cloud and Sephiroth speak Japanese" thing again if it was any other character but Sora, who has a very distinct and iconic voice to many fans.

Having Sora speak Japanese would feel really off, and I doubt SE or (especially) Disney would let Nintendo just replace the voice actor. That's getting into a lot of extra legalities on top of the already complicated "Can we have Disney iconography in Smash?" stuff.

Yes, I'm sure fans will insist on ways around all of this, but at what point does Sora stop feeling like Sora to SE, Disney, and Sakurai? At what point does everyone involved look at what's possible and think "Eh, maybe not"? Especially with SE already getting monumental characters in both Passes?

I'd be very impressed with Nintendo's legal team if he does end up being F11, but I hope you can see why I've always seriously doubted his chances. These "leaks" are lucky guesses.
I mean, Steve Burton was the voice of Cloud Strife. Hell, I doubt Helena Taylor would have gotten hired had Sakurai not wanted the Bayo 1 alt to speak English in all languages to reference how the original game was only dubbed in English. Plus, it'd be on NoA, not the entirity of Nintendo

Shroob

Sup?
Link to a /v/ thread spammed to death by a porn comic, you love to see it.

View attachment 331808

Anyway, given that all three of those posts were made on the same day, I'd say it's the same person. The question I have at the moment is why did they choose October 5? That's a long time ago to genuinely have that information, right? Right?

I think the leak is fake, but July doesn't seem that weird.

Like, Min Min's was filmed anywhere between the end of April and her release date.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Okay so the person who originally said a leak is flowing around reaches out to me to tell me what it was.

he says from what he’s heard, Nintendo Canada teased master chief in smash with a image post and then quickly deleted it straight away. He’s saying that if what he heard was true then someone out there will have an image and it’ll probably start to float around within the next couple of days.

that’s if what he heard was true
So now we have Master chief and Sora being hinted at? One of these (or both please) has to be fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom