• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah I can agree with that. I have a feeling if a character made it into Smash, they would likely be based on the classic games. I think Sakurai would most likely use their Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 designs.

View attachment 318525
Yeah, and the same would apply to their Fatalities (as in not being so gruesome; for example, Scorpion Hasashi would just burn his opponents with his fire breath rather than anything worse than that).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Bro I just wanna see Incineroar get impaled and hear the sweet sweet sensation of "GET OVER HERE!" followed by the MK original theme and then proceed to have Ryu and Scorpion fight for two minutes in CGI fashion

I have nothing against Incineroar, btw

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, and the same would apply to their Fatalities (as in not being so gruesome; for example, Scorpion Hasashi would just burn his opponents with his fire breath rather than anything worse than that).
Definitely. I think Scorpion and Sub-Zero have enough to work with without resorting to gore. I’d love if their final smash started with a strike that led to a cutscene of the character in their shield break animation and the MK announcer says “Finish Him/Her!”.

Scorpion is looking like he won’t happen due to the recent tournament but Sub-Zero is still possible. I thinkhe was the main antagonist of the new movie but I haven’t seen it yet so I’m not sure. I’ve always preferred Sub-Zero anyways but I’d love to get both as semiclones.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sub-Zero could have a variant of his SNES fatality, where he freezes his opponent, jumps up close to him, and punches him away.

I'm one of those people who thinks he and Raiden got more appropriate fatalities from Nintendo censorship anyway.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I feel like if we were to get a new fighting game rep, It'd be a second actual Street Fighter character like Chun-Li or someone new like Sol Badguy. Mortal Kombat would still be cool to see represented in some fashion, even if it is unlikely.

Speaking of Guilty Gear... listening to all of Strives soundtrack, if we do get Sol, I really hope we get some Strive songs. it may be the newest in the series but IMO a lot of Strives tracks would be hypeworthy to listen to. Nothing says hype as playing as Kirby bashing Sephiroths face in with Japanese Thrash metal playing in the background, after all.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Scorpion could still happen, I'm sure a ninja themed tourney or maybe a spear/sword tourney could coincide with him.

This is in response to those who assume the fire tourney WILL deconfirm some characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Scorpion could still happen, I'm sure a ninja themed tourney or maybe a spear/sword tourney could coincide with him.

This is in response to those who assume the fire tourney WILL deconfirm some characters.
His classic specials don't involve fire anyway. Although in order to have four specials, he might need to have his flame pillars from MK9.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
His classic specials don't involve fire anyway. Although in order to have four specials, he might need to have his flame pillars from MK9.
I hope we can get Scorpion and Sub-Zero as a bonus character. As far as mainstream characters go, the MK ninjas are very close to the top next to Illidan and Kerrigan for me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's a funny question: If Johnny Cage were somehow to become Smash's MK rep, would Nintendo allow him to use his Nut Punch, or would that be for bad boys and girls?
I think they'd give it a different name and have the move punch smaller characters in the face instead.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s something I’ve been wondering about. If Sakurai goes with classic Scorpion and Sub-Zero for Smash, do you think that he would keep Patrick Seitz and Steve Blum as voice actors? They are two of my favorite actors ever (especially Steve Blum) so it would be awesome if they retained their roles.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Here’s something I’ve been wondering about. If Sakurai goes with classic Scorpion and Sub-Zero for Smash, do you think that he would keep Patrick Seitz and Steve Blum as voice actors. They are two of my favorite actors ever (especially Steve Blum) so it would be awesome if they retained their roles.
I think the term you're looking for is "bring back" for Patrick Seitz, since he wasn't kept for MK11.

As for whether or not Sakurai would use both actors, I'd say probably yes for Steve Blum and probably no for Seitz, since Sakurai might be more likely to use their most recent voice actors (at least as far as the MK games are concerned, since I don't know if they returned for that movie).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think the term you're looking for is "bring back" for Patrick Seitz, since he wasn't kept for MK11.
Oh I didn’t even realize that. That’s a shame because I thought he did a great job as Scorpion. Who voiced him in 11?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh I didn’t even realize that. That’s a shame because I thought he did a great job as Scorpion. Who voiced him in 11?
Kevin Conroy, who also does Batman

Edit: I guess I was mistaken, I thought it was Batman.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Here’s something I’ve been wondering about. If Sakurai goes with classic Scorpion and Sub-Zero for Smash, do you think that he would keep Patrick Seitz and Steve Blum as voice actors? They are two of my favorite actors ever (especially Steve Blum) so it would be awesome if they retained their roles.
Wait, the voice actor for Dio Brando, Ira Gamagori and Jiren is the same one for Scorpion?
Learn something new everyday.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
We're near the end of the DLC cycle of this game, and it's unlikely that they will start a pass 3 after this one. I'm still without a copy of Ultimate, for several reasons

(some of them are: after decades of playing Melee, my friends got tired of Smash and we are not playing it anymore; I have a bad internet connection and can't upgrade it for now, so I can't even play online, and by the way I don't want to support Nintendo Online being paid, and I also am unimpressed by this new Smash game and there's nothing that really gets my attention and makes me interested, plus several other smaller reasons)

but the biggest reasons of all, is that I'm tired of Kirby being mid-to-low tier and I want to change my main, but none of the characters currently in the game are that meaningful to me to consider to main them, or the ones who are, I don't like their playstyle. So I'm waiting for the full DLC roster before making an actual decision if to get the game or not. Yeah, I've been waiting for years, I'm that patient.

The point is, it's very unlikely that I will get any character I care of... even with the last two spots, it's gonna be some weird choice coming from mainstream games, maybe games that used to be more common on Sony and Microsoft consoles, or some other JRPG character I care nothing of, etc.
I'm almost sure that at the end of all this, I will not buy this Smash game.... and it will be the first time. I even bought the two versions of Smash 4 at launch and the Gamecube adapter, Smash has always been part of my life from since when I discovered the franchise. Right now my interest in the series is below zero and it's still digging hard to reach the oblivion. I don't know, I'm just not interested in Smash anymore.

The discussion here is the same of when I stopped being active... still the same few characters, the same mindset, the same discussions over and over. I don't want to offend anyone or criticize, it's just that I feel like this is not a franchise for me anymore, and that overall things became incredibly stale from since Brawl, both game-wise and fanbase-wise.

I guess I'll be around for a few days lurking and occasionally writing a few comments if needed, but as soon as they will announce the E3 character, I'll be "ok" and then leave again for months, or forever; it already happend with Pyra, Sephiroth, and it was starting to be like this from since Min min already. The more they add characters, the more apathy my reaction becomes.

I think I have to thank Sakurai and Nintendo, or whoever took the franchise into this new direction which I don't like anymore.

Now I expect a lot of replies quoting my post and telling me that the issue is with myself, not with the game, that the franchise is good that I have to leave that my points don't stand that I'm biased blah blah, and those post to get 10+ likes, but really, I don't care anymore.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I believe a Tales of Character is most likely from Namco. Whether it be Lloyd or a new from Tales of Arise.

Namco is also privy to out KOS-MOS into crossover material. Although that one is more of a pipe dream want.
That's more Monolith Soft's thing. Namco Bandai themselves declared that the series is not profitable enough to warrant a remaster, and I actually think that Digimon is more likely to get a character. I also don't expect Arise to get a character in Smash due to it being too new.

Technomage

Smash Champion
We're near the end of the DLC cycle of this game, and it's unlikely that they will start a pass 3 after this one. I'm still without a copy of Ultimate, for several reasons

(some of them are: after decades of playing Melee, my friends got tired of Smash and we are not playing it anymore; I have a bad internet connection and can't upgrade it for now, so I can't even play online, and by the way I don't want to support Nintendo Online being paid, and I also am unimpressed by this new Smash game and there's nothing that really gets my attention and makes me interested, plus several other smaller reasons)

but the biggest reasons of all, is that I'm tired of Kirby being mid-to-low tier and I want to change my main, but none of the characters currently in the game are that meaningful to me to consider to main them, or the ones who are, I don't like their playstyle. So I'm waiting for the full DLC roster before making an actual decision if to get the game or not. Yeah, I've been waiting for years, I'm that patient.

The point is, it's very unlikely that I will get any character I care of... even with the last two spots, it's gonna be some weird choice coming from mainstream games, maybe games that used to be more common on Sony and Microsoft consoles, or some other JRPG character I care nothing of, etc.
I'm almost sure that at the end of all this, I will not buy this Smash game.... and it will be the first time. I even bought the two versions of Smash 4 at launch and the Gamecube adapter, Smash has always been part of my life from since when I discovered the franchise. Right now my interest in the series is below zero and it's still digging hard to reach the oblivion. I don't know, I'm just not interested in Smash anymore.

The discussion here is the same of when I stopped being active... still the same few characters, the same mindset, the same discussions over and over. I don't want to offend anyone or criticize, it's just that I feel like this is not a franchise for me anymore, and that overall things became incredibly stale from since Brawl, both game-wise and fanbase-wise.

I guess I'll be around for a few days lurking and occasionally writing a few comments if needed, but as soon as they will announce the E3 character, I'll be "ok" and then leave again for months, or forever; it already happend with Pyra, Sephiroth, and it was starting to be like this from since Min min already. The more they add characters, the more apathy my reaction becomes.

I think I have to thank Sakurai and Nintendo, or whoever took the franchise into this new direction which I don't like anymore.

Now I expect a lot of replies quoting my post and telling me that the issue is with myself, not with the game, that the franchise is good that I have to leave that my points don't stand that I'm biased blah blah, and those post to get 10+ likes, but really, I don't care anymore.
Interesting points. I'm also willing to ask this question: What kind of character playstyle would you like, and what characters themselves would you want in Smash? It could help think of characters you might be willing to play as.

volbound1700

Smash Master

I feel some of your pain.

I think the issue is age. Most of the older Smash fans are not excited by characters like Pyra, Steve, or Joker. They are not from our generation. Smash is moving onto a new audience that likes different things. This makes business sense but leaves us in the dirt.

There really isn't a character in the DLC pass that is one of those characters that you can go out to your friends and say "Dude, xxx is in Smash" like you could in the pass with a Megaman, Pacman, or Sonic. The closest well-known characters are Sepiroth and Steve.

My main issue with Ultimate is not the characters or the Smash mode but rather the WEAK content in the Single Player. I find myself sometimes going back to Brawl to play Target Smash, Complete the crazy number of Challenges, Event Modes, and most importantly, a SSE Adventure mode that feels 5x better than WOL.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
If a character from the Mortal Kombat series is to come to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as the next DLC newcomer, I would say he isthe Scorpion with his the famous phrase "Get over here!".

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
That's more Monolith Soft's thing. Namco Bandai themselves declared that the series is not profitable enough to warrant a remaster, and I actually think that Digimon is more likely to get a character. I also don't expect Arise to get a character in Smash due to it being too new.
Lloyd is Namco’s Cloud. He doesn’t necessarily need a remaster to get in. He is “the” Tales Of character. An Arise character may be new, but it would be good cross promotion.

Technomage

Smash Champion
My main issue with Ultimate is not the characters or the Smash mode but rather the WEAK content in the Single Player. I find myself sometimes going back to Brawl to play Target Smash, Complete the crazy number of Challenges, Event Modes, and most importantly, a SSE Adventure mode that feels 5x better than WOL.
Yeah, I too would have loved to see more Single-Player content, especially if it means more stuff to complete (for example, the collecting of spirits and raising them to their highest levels is something I spent a lot of time on).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Lloyd is Namco’s Cloud. He doesn’t necessarily need a remaster to get in. He is “the” Tales Of character. An Arise character may be new, but it would be good cross promotion.
The problem of course, is Lloyd's Mii Fighter costume. He is the only Smash 4 3rd Party Mii Fighter costume that is still MIA, and his costume can easily come back with either of the last two DLC characters.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
The problem of course, is Lloyd's Mii Fighter costume. He is the only Smash 4 3rd Party Mii Fighter costume that is still MIA, and his costume can easily come back with either of the last two DLC characters.
That is true, but in the case of a Tales Of character, we could get someone from Tales Of Arise, and get Lloyd’s Mii Costume.I could also be vice versa.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That is true, but in the case of a Tales Of character, we could get someone from Tales Of Arise, and get Lloyd’s Mii Costume.I could also be vice versa.
Tales of Arise is far too new to get a character, and unless the game was delayed because of COVID (which is unconfirmed) I don't expect it to get one.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
No bias here but I feel like Yuri would be "the" Tales of character for Namco considering he is used a lot by them

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Actually I’m pretty sure Yuri is the Cloud of Tales, at least from a character standpoint. Maybe Tales of Symphonia is the FF7 of Tales though? I don’t really know.

But Yuri is far and away the most popular protagonist outside of the Smash community, topped polls frequently to the point of being disqualified yadda yadda.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Has a Youtuber ever correctly guessed a DLC character in either pass?
Alpharad's infamous for getting picks predicted like Bayonetta and Joker.

As for the DLC, I'd like a character I actually wanted when the closest are Terry who I felt deserved it the most despite no personal connection and Sephiroth who I'd have said "Eh can we get someone else?" Then again, there's only 3 DLC characters I don't like, only one of which I paid for and one of them being because they were poorly handled

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Digimon could also be another option, although there have been many debates over whether or not Digimon is even a video game franchise to begin with.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Velvet or Yuri as the Tales rep would get me hyped.
Oh yeah definitely. Velvet and Yuri are easily my favorite Tales protagonists. I’d pick Velvet between the two because I think her moveset offers more to Smash than Yuri’s but they’re both great characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah, I too would have loved to see more Single-Player content, especially if it means more stuff to complete (for example, the collecting of spirits and raising them to their highest levels is something I spent a lot of time on).
Brawl is a very interesting case because it was clearly NOT designed for being a competitive-style fighting game. However, it still almost feels like it has more content in it than any other Smash games (that isn't a correct statement but you still feel that way in the aspect that there is more to do and the content isn't just throw at you like Ultimate, you have to unlock it).

A lot of reviewers now are going back and giving Brawl very favorable reviews. It is almost like it has been rehabilitated. The only Smash that I see as never going back to play is the Wii U one because Ultimate has everything that it has but better. There is nothing to distinguish the Wii U version versus Ultimate.

N64 has a unique and simplified style plus unique Modes
Melee is the same as N64, very unique style and Modes (the Adventure Mode is really what Sakurai should have followed in future games for Adventure Modes)
Brawl has tons of single-player content and IMO is still perhaps the best solo version.

One character that Sakurai changed from Brawl that I really cannot stand is Olimar. Olimar only having 3 Pikmin really messed up his moveset. Maybe 6 was too much for tactical reasons (still not as crazy tactical decision-making under quick crunch as Steve, Hero's spell list, or Shulk). At the very least, Olimar should still have 4 Pikmin, however, I would prefer getting back to the 6 that he had in Olimar. I do like the recovery they gave him from 4 on which was a vast improvement over the one from Brawl. Overall, Olimar's moveset is not near as good today as it was in Brawl IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom