• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Jumping back into sword-user vs. brawler argument.

There really isn't any Science that you can use to justify whether a character will be popular or not.

The key ingredient that some people are looking for is the "cool" factor. Is this character "cool" or not in circles of friends to talk about. Is the character going to drive hype.

JRPG characters (not all but most of them) are just not that popular or "cool" in most Western Circles. What sounds more easy to discuss in circle of friends for example: Is
Nintendo isn't just overzealous with their content control online guys

This can only mean one thing

Cacomallow

I would love if CacoMallow came true in some manner. I could see Mallow just being a Mii Costume but no Geno. In fact, it would be funny if we got both costumes but no characters or other series representation.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Only if Epic is pissy about it, which they probably wouldn't be. It's business, and the opportunity to be in Smash isn't worth throwing away simply for Nintendo unsurprisingly being Nintendo.

I also bet you Nintendo gave Samus in Fortnite more serious consideration than they would for any other proposition of their characters being on rival hardware, simply because it's Fortnite.
To your first point:
Good point! :)

To your second point:
Ya know... I feel like you're right.
Look at Rocket League.
We did get Samus, Mario, and Luigi-themed vehicles.
They're only usable and available on the Switch. THEY'RE NOT EVEN VIEWABLE ON NON-SWITCH PLAYERS'S SCREENS.

Fortnite was multi-platform to a greater extent at the start.
At launch, Rocket League was only on PC and PS4. It took two years for the Switch to be a platform for it to play on.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised if the fact that Samus started doing those silly dances would be what put Nintendo off, to protect her image as a lone bounty hunter, rather than not letting her go on Xbox and Playstation.
The Wahoominati spared one guy for Samus detail and he wasn't fond of the moves

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also, I thought about some stuff:

For those who don't know, when the Switch released, Xbox's official Twitter AND Playstation's official Twitter (among others) congratulated Nintendo on their launch.

Let's take another console... say, the PS5.
When this launched, did Nintendo's official Twitter congratulate them?
No.
Doug Bowser did. On his Twitter. The president of the company, but not the company itself.

Console Wars were never really a thing in my eyes. But I do believe in returning condolences and support with one another. I'm sure Nintendo's done it before, don't get me wrong. But idk....

This stuff kinda lines up with Fortnite, indirectly ofc
The Kratos and Master Chief skins can be equipped on the Switch.
Poor Samus...

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To your first point:
Good point! :)

To your second point:
Ya know... I feel like you're right.
Look at Rocket League.
We did get Samus, Mario, and Luigi-themed vehicles.
They're only usable and available on the Switch. THEY'RE NOT EVEN VIEWABLE ON NON-SWITCH PLAYERS'S SCREENS.

Fortnite was multi-platform to a greater extent at the start.
At launch, Rocket League was only on PC and PS4. It took two years for the Switch to be a platform for it to play on.
If Nintendo isn't comfortable providing their Minecraft packs on systems other than their own, that's a pretty good litmus test for where Nintendo's heads at. Despite how huge some of these games are, exclusivity seems the most important thing to Nintendo.

Fortnite probably wasn't prepared to do console exclusive skins to placate Nintendo. The other two didn't get that. And Epic does play hardball on their own terms as well, forcing crossplay and going to court with Apple and all.

And who knows, Samus looking like a fool could've also given Nintendo reservations.

Oh, we have 2 Metroids in the works? That sounds even cooler.
Three actually, since word on the street is re-releasing the Prime trilogy will preempt MP4.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
The other two didn't get that
I mean, if their skins are accessible on other consoles, I'd reword that as "The other two were open to their first party characters being multi-platform skins"

THOUGH yes, limits existed:
Take the Aloy skin, from Playstation.

She's multi-platform BUT a Horizon-themed Fortnite event did happen, but it was EXCLUSIVE to PLayStation Fortnite players. So yea.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Um, don't you mean Metroid Prime 4? Or is it also called Metroid 5?
The Prime games and the mainline Metroid games, which are the 2D ones, are different things. Metroid 5 wouldn't probably be the official name though, because the 2D Metroid games usually don't have a number on their title.

As others said, a new 2D Metroid game being made at Mercury Steam, the ones who also did the Samus Returns remake on 3DS, has been a rumor since 2019? or so. It is supposed to release this year according to insiders so that's why a lot of people are expecting the game to be revealed at E3.

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
real talk i hope the next character is Byleth 2

its just byleth but a 2nd time, like the exact same character but a 2nd time

Technomage

Smash Champion
It would be absolutely hilarious if Doomguy got in after we just spent a week of everyone fighting over Platformer vs RPG guys
would be hilarious if the final 2 characters arent from a platformer or rpg lmao
Especially if the final two are also neither anime nor cartoony, and instead they're gritty and realistic.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Quite sure IF the idea was rejected outright, then it was likely because Epic wanted to bring Samus to other consoles the same way they did Master Chief and Kratos. Seeing Samus on Xbox and PlayStation would be a sight to behold but I don’t know if Nintendo would be on board with that. If they work out a deal? Then yeah Samus could still come eventually.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Lets assume the next 2 characters ARENT from platformers or RPGS so heres a list of some chars that would have a shot that arent from either of these genres

Doomguy
Axel Stone
Battletoads
Billy & Jimmy
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Ragna the Bloodedge
Sol Badguy
Medusa (Uprising is a shooter)
Junko & Monokuma
Phoenix Wright
Kratos
Master Chief
Dante
The Sims
Dragonborn

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Lets assume the next 2 characters ARENT from platformers or RPGS so heres a list of some chars that would have a shot that arent from either of these genres

Doomguy
Axel Stone
Battletoads
Billy & Jimmy
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Ragna the Bloodedge
Sol Badguy
Junko & Monokuma
Phoenix Wright
Kratos
Master Chief
Dante
Dragonborn
Good list. I'd add a LoL rep and, personally, Red the Angry Bird, but good work soldier.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Doomguy
Axel Stone
Battletoads
Billy & Jimmy
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Ragna the Bloodedge
Sol Badguy
Junko & Monokuma
Phoenix Wright
Kratos
Master Chief
Dante
The Sims
Dragonborn
I'd pick Chief and Kratos, to bring in the mascots of the other two console manufacturers. Though The Sims do sound interesting.

Edit: You forgot to add Jonesy; we did have a discussion (unpleasant it may have been) on him a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Since I'm still in a Phantasy Star mood, I'll will make a case for the Avatar of PSO2. I said Matoi would be very unique due to her being a Spellcaster with a Rod weapon and a slew of different Techniques, then we know Alis Landale will mainly be a Sword user with a shield with some Phantasy Star Online influences. So I will make a case for the third likely choice for a Phantasy Star character, the Avatar of PSO2, using their Story gameplay.

Basically, the Avatar is a character that can be either a Human, Newman, Cast or Deuman. They can be either Male or Female. And some of their default designs do have names, like Ash, Sue, Kireek, etc.
In marketing, the one most commonly used is Ash, the human Hunter. But Sue(Newman Hunter), Gilliam(Cast Ranger) and Rupika(Newman Force) are also commonly used as well. But for this concept, we will use Ash, Sue, Kireek(Cast Hunter) and either Nagisa or Hyuga(the latter two named after the PSUniverse/Portable characters), the Deuman Bravers.

So to explain what I'm going to show, I will explain part of them in their portrayals of the Phantasy Star Online 2 Story Episodes. In the first couple Episodes of Phantasy Star Online 2, during the story cutscenes, your character does not use weapons in the cutscenes regardless of their class, not even the Gunblade which is used across all classes. Actually, quite funnily, when your character does fight in the first story cutscenes, you don't kill enemies with your weapons, you kill them with your fists. Not with the Knuckles weapons, but you literally beat up Falspawn and even some giant enemies with your frickin' fists. No wonder some of the other characters are greatly inspired by you.
But no, that's mainly only for Episode 1, 2 and half of 3. The end of Episode 3 and the later Episodes later add a special "Default"-used weapon for your character. These are the Coated Weapons.
The Coated Weapons, especially the Sword, are the Weapons used by the Protagonist during the Story Cutscenes. Aside from the Sword and Double Saber, there's also a version for Katanas, Soaring Blades, Assault Rifles, Twin Machine Guns, Rods, Wands and Talis. These weapons are very significant to the Protagonist due to their Episode 3 significance. The Protagonist first gains the Sword version near the end of Episode 3, then it's later revealed in Episode 4 that he has a Double Saber version, and then in Episode 5 where he has the Twin Machine Gun and Talis versions. I think the others may appear in Episode 6, but I have not completed it.
But regardless, the Protagonist's most used version is the Coated Sword, and they also use it in Episode 6 quite a bit, so we are going to focus on the Class that focuses on not just the Sword, but the Twin Machine Guns and the Talis that they heavily use altogether in Episode 5. We are going to use the Hero Class.

So what is the Hero Class? The Hero class was the first of 4 "Promoted Classes" where the character can't choose a Sub-Class, but it gives the character an incredibly different Weapon performance and Photon Arts(aka Skills) for the weapons they wield. Like think of this. The Sword for the Hunter Class is normally a slow, cumbersome weapon with alot of weight to their attacks, much like Ganondorf, Ike and Cloud. How does the Hero use the Sword? Lightning-fast and super-speedy. Like imagine Ganondorf's Sword attacks done in a milli-second with the same amount of power, then followed by three other attacks with the same power, in almost the same amount of time Ganondorf does his first Forward Smash.
That's how the Hero uses the Sword. Incredibly fast, one-handed and anime as frick. And besides the Sword, the Hero uses the Twin Machine Guns differently from the Gunner and the Talis differently from the Force and Techter. And compared to the other classes which can focus around one weapon, the Hero's Photon Arts and skills revolve around combo-ing and constantly switching between all 3 weapons, as well as alot of dodging and moving around.
  • So our Hero is meant to be fast and flashy. But the main focus is on Photon Points or PP. Basically, the Hero class is combo-heavy, but they have to be careful of their Photon Points or lose access to doing their combos with succession. So below our Hero's Icon/Stock is going to be our Photon Points much like Hero with their Magic Points. Everytime the Hero does a Photon Art, they lose Photon Points and to recharge them, they either have to stop attacking for a bit for PP Regeneration or hit the foe successfully to gain PP. But if the player has enough Photon Points, they can use Photon Arts in quick succession of each other until they run out. The Hero has 100 Photon Points altogether.
  • For their Normal attacks, they have something called "Perfect attack" where when they attack, a blue circle will start surrounding them. When the Hero times an attack just around the time the Blue Circle goes Red, they will do a Perfect attack while missing it makes them do just a normal attack. Perfect Attacks are basically a Normal attack that deals more damage and adds more Photon Points back when it successfully hits. Think of it like Rhythm games with the Circles and whatnot. This basically applies to all their Normal attacks and Photon Arts, whereas in the case of Photon Arts, they only add more damage and don't give back Photon Points.
  • So another thing to note is that the Hero follows Ryu/Ken/Terry rules where they will always be facing the foe. This will be due to some of their Photon Arts. They also have Special Dodge moves. When they complete a Dodge, they can follow-up with a special Normal attack that has increased damage.
  • So let's begin with the Sword. The Sword is super fast, flashy and very combo heavy. For balance sake, we will reduce the amount of power the Sword does compared to it's Phantasy Star Online 2 version. But we will keep at how very flashy, weight-less and fast it is. So it's Normal attacks are quick and flashy.
    But alongside the sword, it also has it's Special Weapon Action which is basically the character's Empty hand pushing forward and unleashing a Spirit Bolt or Spirit bolt barrage. This is done by quickly pressing the A button or by holding it without moving the control stick, where you either send out a wave of Spirit Bolts out in fast succession or use a Charged-up Spirit Bolt that hits hard and impactful. Hitting successfully with these attacks will restore Photon Points.
    The Sword uses 4 Photon Arts. The first Photon Art is Brightblade Buster, which will be the Normal B skill. This has the Hero do a quick-spin attack on the foe. Not a Link-esque Spin Attack, but just one Spin and one hit. During the spin, the character won't get hit, as it counts as a dodge. After the first Spin attack, holding down the button will charge up a 2nd attack where the Hero does a slower, but much bigger Spin attack that is wider in Range. This Photon Art costs 10 PP for the first Spin.
    The 2nd Photon Art is Rising Slash, which will work as the Sword's Up-B Attack. The character does a flashy attack where they throw their sword into the Air, go to it, do a Combo attack then finish with a Downward Strike. The start of the attack has Invincibility frames. By holding down the Button, the character keeps doing the Combo, but at the cost of PP slowly going down. Basically, if using to recover, if the player has full Photon Points, they could reach the Stage edge compared to doing the attack with no Photon Points. This Photon Art costs 15 PP, but loses 1-2 PP per milli-second while holding the Combo.
    3rd Photon Art. Trickflash. This will be the Hero's Down-B Sword skill. The character does a high-speed thrust(similar to Ike and Falcon's Side Bs) at the foe and will stab them if they get in range. Now we get to some of the Weapon changing. When you hold the button down, the character will switch to their Talis weapon and follow-up with attacking with their Talis. The character then remains with their Talis weapon, using that as their weapon until they switch back to Sword or to Twin Machine Guns. This PA costs 15 PP.
    The 4th Photon Art is the other Sword switcher skill. Bulletblitz, and is the Hero's Side-B for Sword. It first starts with the character moving either backwards or forwards sending out a wave of Spirit Bolts from their hand. By holding the button, the Hero switches to the Twin Machine Guns and follows-up with a volley of bullets. This PA costs 20 PP.
  • Now let's get to the Twin Machine Guns. The Twin Machine Guns focus on pelting your opponents with lead. They work exactly like Fox's Laser special, except attached to the A Button. By holding down the A-Button, the character unleashes a barrage of bullets that don't flinch the foe, but deal damage incredibly quickly and reduces shields quickly. Compared to the Sword and Talis normal attacks, this will actually take away Photon Points, aside from Smash attacks, and from full Photon Points, the character will be allowed to fire a barrage of bullets for about 10 seconds before running out of PP. The player can walk forward or backward while holding the A-button, giving them low movement while shooting.
    It is not easy to restore PP with the Twin Machine Guns. The only way of restoring PP with the Twin Machine Guns is by using the Shield button, where the character will use their Reload Weapon action, which will slowly fill their PP Gauge. It can be timed with the Perfect Attack circle. Whenever the character does an attack or stops firing with the A-button, the Circle will appear as usual. If the Shield button times it perfectly, the PP Gauge will fill up twice as fast compared to the normal Reload.
    For the Twin Machine Guns Photon Arts now. We will start with Starfire Squall. This is a barrage of bullets from one of the guns that pierces foes. What makes this more unique is that if the Hero dodged an attack before using this move, this move will increase in damage. This is the Hero's B-move for Twin Machine Guns. This move costs the most at 30 PP per use.
    Final Storm is the 2nd PA for Twin Machine Gun and is the side-B Special.The Hero proceeds to do a succession of aerobatics moving forward or backward while shooting a barrage of bullets that hits all enemies surrounding them. It's pretty much like a Matrix thing where they are doing tons of front-flips and side-flips while shooting a barrage of bullets.
    For the Up-B for Twin Machine Guns, we have Switchfire Gambit. The player moves in a direction the control stick is going towards(so functions like Fire Fox, Octoslash, etc) to unleash a shotgun-like blast in the direction they move forward to. By holding the Button, this switches the Hero from Twin Machine Guns to Sword, which you can then follow up with a Rising Slash for extra recovery. This move costs 20 PP.
    For the Down-B for TMG, we have Sleightshot Gambit. The hero disappears for a quick-second and if the player quickly points the control stick to the left or right before the Hero attacks, this moves the Hero either forwards or backwards. They then unleash a barrage of bullets in the direction of the foe. Then by holding the button down, this switches to the Hero's Talis weapon and does a follow-up attack with it. This Photon Art costs 20 PP. If timed perfectly without holding the button down, a Hero Player with max PP can use 2 Starfire Squalls and 2 Sleightshot Gambits in succession after one another.
  • Okay, now onto the Talis weapon. The Talis weapon is normally a Ranged Magic weapon for the Force and Techter, but when the Hero uses it, it functions alot like a ninja shuriken, where the Hero throws out a shuriken-like projectile from their Talis weapon. The A-button has them using the Talis weapon is a three-hit combo, where the first two attacks consist of throwing the projectile out, with the third attack having them flip forward and sending out a stronger projectile, then rinse and repeat. It's not fast, but what makes this weapon stand out is it's movement while attacking. By moving the control stick left or right, whenever the Hero attacks with the Talis, they will move a quick-step in that direction while attacking. This can help with dodging and moving around.
    Now by holding the A-button, the Hero charges up and then releases their Weapon action. A floating orb that stays in place. This does not damage any foes near it, but when it's in play and the player taps the shield button, this instantly moves the Hero to the place where the orb is, sort of like a Pseudo-Zoom that the Dragon Quest Hero uses. This can greatly help with both mobility and recovering, but the PS-Hero still needs to be within some distance to teleport to it.
    Now for the Talis Photon Arts. The first we have is Houndblade for the B-Special. This is a multi-target attack. The Hero charges up up a shuriken that tracks nearby foes. When released, this will send a shuriken to each foe that was tracked and hit them. When a shuriken successfully damages a foe, the shurikens stay around the foes and deal damage over time on those foe for about 10 seconds, with them dealing damage every 2 seconds. And these will stay around even if the Hero switches to Sword or Twin Machine Guns later. This Photon Art costs 15 PP.
    The Down-B Special for Talis is Jet Wheel. The Hero makes a giant Shuriken, does a jump forward and releases the giant Shuriken where it rotates in place for 10 seconds, dealing damage to foes within it's range. This serves as crowd control for the Hero and once again stays even if the Hero switches to Sword or Twin Machine Guns. This move costs 20 PP.
    The Side-B Special for Talis is Fallback Gambit. The Hero backflips away from a foe and attacks with their Talis and stuns them for a short moment. By holding the button down, the Hero switches to Twin Machine Guns and follows up with a volley of bullets. This move costs 5 PP.
    The Up-B Special for Talis is Edgeracer Gambit. The Hero throws their Talis in the direction the control stick is(much like FireFox, Octoslash, etc) which damages any foes in the way and after going a short distance, the player will teleport to it. Holding the button down switches the Hero to their Sword where they do an attack with the Sword in front of them. Once again, the player can follow-up with Rising Slash if they have PP left. This Photon Art costs 15 PP.
So now that I have all of the Photon Arts and Actions typed up, I will now allow you to see them in action in Phantasy Star Online 2 to get a glimpse of how they would be in Smash Bros.

And there we go. Not exactly complete, but I made sure all the major parts were there. Looking at it, I do realise it does have similarity to a popular Smash pick, but hopefully, the main gimmick and gist of the moveset I gave them makes them different from that character.
1623104414214.png

This isn't confusing at all

Funny quips aside, the video you linked actually looks really cool, and the Hero class sounds like it could lend themselves to a flashy and stylish moveset. Though, I have a bit of doubt regarding a complete moveset-swapping character; Min Min just has different frame data on her attacks and the Aegis are mostly the same, only changing their specials completely. I think it'd be easier with a Byleth approach, where they use multiple weapons in the same moveset. Maybe with the added bonus of certain moves chaining well into attacks that use certain weapons, to reference the weapon-switching specials in PSO2.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If it took five years to finally get Steve into the game, why would Jonesy take less time?

Technomage

Smash Champion
If it took five years to finally get Steve into the game, why would Jonesy take less time?
Hmmm, I think one of the reasons would be he wouldn't have to mine for any wood (I don't remember any mining in FN), meaning less work on stages would be needed.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Doomguy
Axel Stone
Battletoads
Billy & Jimmy
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Ragna the Bloodedge
Sol Badguy
Junko & Monokuma
Phoenix Wright
Kratos
Master Chief
Dante
The Sims
Dragonborn
I want to live in a world where we somehow get Doom Slayer and Sol Badguy. Give me all of the rock and metal.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
But Fortnite's building blocks, such as walls, and pyramid tips, have larger proportions than Minecraft blocks.
Jonesy would still take some more time. I don't know HOW MUCH more time, but yea.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
While we're still on the topic of Fortnite: If Jonesy got in, and came with the Fortnite building mechanic as his gimmick, how different would it be to Steve's?
I imagine jonesy would be able to build soft platforms you can fall through, as opposed to steve's solid blocks. Plus he wouldn't be restricted to only building under himself while in the air

Pillow

Smash Lord
But Fortnite's building blocks, such as walls, and pyramid tips, have larger proportions than Minecraft blocks.
Jonesy would still take some more time. I don't know HOW MUCH more time, but yea.
...I'm confused. Are you under the impression that Steve took so long to come to Smash because of technological limitations?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Holy **** Steve and his five years again.

It took Banjo one year from inception to reveal, why do we never talk about that? Why is that never used as precedent of anything? That's probably more typical than Steve wandering in circles for half a decade while MS and Nintendo figure out what they want.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean, Banjo only took like 2 or something so just because one takes a long time doesn’t mean others will.

Edit: hot damn the same post in 1 minute from 2 people. What a :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
...I'm confused. Are you under the impression that Steve took so long to come to Smash because of technological limitations?
No. I'm sure Steve didn't take eons.
I wouldn't be surprised if it took a longer time to develop him compared to other fighters, though.
Hope your confusion is cleared up.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, who do you guys think will be the last two DLC characters for Smash Bros. Ultimate?

EDIT: 1500 pages!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom