• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Porky and Sylux are strangely absent
Porky's already been mentioned, but Sylux isn't really that strange. We only got three Hunters as spirits in Smash (Trace, Kanden, and Gandrayda) while we're missing others like Ghor, Weavel, and Rundas, the latter of which was the most popular of the Prime 3 trio. Sylux being missing is just Smash not really covering that base well, they probably just picked some that fit what they wanted as fights and left it at that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sorry, it just sounded like you didn't.

Point remains Bayonetta worked, the same could be done for Morrigan censored like how Corrin, Palutena, Pyra, and Mythra were and Shantae being a spirit.

Mai couldn't happen even as a background cameo is due to no panties which CERO has most issue with.
No problem.

I don’t really know why they couldn’t have just given Mai shorts under her dress to censor her. It doesn’t seem like that would have been that big a deal.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Why’d you post those two characters?
Not only have these two in mind, but simply because some old Nintendo games not to mention the mention me and as for the other two DLC newcomers actually hope for Crash Bandicoot and Earthworm Jim.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don’t really know why they couldn’t have just given Mai shorts under her dress to censor her. It doesn’t seem like that would have been that big a deal.
Any character with no panties = No go.

That's how CERO works apparently. Plus Sakurai and the team didn't want to put any effort and work into having her in there just as a background character as well as respecting what her character is about which is her sex appeal without having to censor her.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No problem.

It probably woulda been too much work for a mere stage cameo

Pyra and Mythra got that censorship job upon becoming playable but for a mere stage cameo?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah Doom Slayer as a Master Chief echo is like making Sonic a Mario echo, Doom Slayer's particularly interesting when a friend of mine managed to describe his playstyle as "Chrom with a gun". Master Chief would be more tactical so he'd be slower, have defensive moves and likely thinner hitboxes for the gunfire

Stratos

Smash Ace
The penultimate DLC character will reveal the day of E3, the last probably in September.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It probably woulda been too much work for a mere stage cameo

Pyra and Mythra got that censorship job upon becoming playable but for a mere stage cameo?
That makes sense. It looks like they did censor Bridget from Xenoblade 2 as a background character but that is probably easier since she was first party.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Alright, last part of my stretchy speculation for now, I'll keep it short.

Like I've said before, Motoi Sakuraba has had more of his compositions, arranged by him, show up in both Smash 4 and Brawl.

Ultimate is the first time he's had no new compositions, and the first time he has had DLC songs. All of his compositions that got into Smash are owned by Nintendo. In FP2, however, he got his first third party arrangements, of Microsoft and Squeenix owned tracks.

Maybe (and this is a real stretch) his original compositions for Ultimate are in FP2, and are DLC this time because they are third-party owned?

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Porky's already been mentioned, but Sylux isn't really that strange. We only got three Hunters as spirits in Smash (Trace, Kanden, and Gandrayda) while we're missing others like Ghor, Weavel, and Rundas, the latter of which was the most popular of the Prime 3 trio. Sylux being missing is just Smash not really covering that base well, they probably just picked some that fit what they wanted as fights and left it at that.
How has Porky already been mentioned?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Alright, last part of my stretchy speculation for now, I'll keep it short.

Like I've said before, Motoi Sakuraba has had more of his compositions, arranged by him, show up in both Smash 4 and Brawl.

Ultimate is the first time he's had no new compositions, and the first time he has had DLC songs. All of his compositions that got into Smash are owned by Nintendo. In FP2, however, he got his first third party arrangements, of Microsoft and Squeenix owned tracks.

Maybe (and this is a real stretch) his original compositions for Ultimate are in FP2, and are DLC this time because they are third-party owned?
Isn't Sakuraba a freelancer? They probably just thought "Oh, we haven't had Sakuraba in a while and he's available, neat!"

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Sakuraba a freelancer? They probably just thought "Oh, we haven't had Sakuraba in a while and he's available, neat!"
Yeah, he's a freelancer, but every song he writes for a company is completely owned by said company.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I'm also pretty sure that licensing a freelancer to arrange paid DLC songs, owned by separate third parties, isn't a spur-of-the-moment thing

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One character I’m surprised I don’t see brought up more often is Ring Fit Adventure girl. That game is hugely successful and we already have Wii Fit Trainer so she’d fit right in. I don’t particularly care about her but she’s my prediction for most likely character at this point.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
One character I’m surprised I don’t see brought up more often is Ring Fit Adventure girl. That game is hugely successful and we already have Wii Fit Trainer so she’d fit right in. I don’t particularly care about her but she’s my prediction for most likely character at this point.
Ring Fit Adventure got a Spirit Event.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That had a Spirit Event so she's out of the running unless Pass 3 miracly happens.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
"Spirited Away (Japanese: 千と千尋の神隠し, Hepburn: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, 'Sen and Chihiro’s Spiriting Away') is a 2001 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, animated by Studio Ghibli for Tokuma Shoten, Nippon Television Network, Dentsu, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Tohokushinsha Film, and Mitsubishi.[6] The film stars Rumi Hiiragi, Miyu Irino, Mari Natsuki, Takeshi Naito, Yasuko Sawaguchi, Tsunehiko Kamijō, Takehiko Ono and Bunta Sugawara. Spirited Away tells the story of Chihiro Ogino (Hiiragi), a 10-year-old girl who, while moving to a new neighbourhood, enters the world of Kami (spirits of Japanese Shinto folklore).[7] After her parents are turned into pigs by the witch Yubaba (Natsuki), Chihiro takes a job working in Yubaba's bathhouse to find a way to free herself and her parents and return to the human world."

Point is, Ring Fit Adventure already had a spirit event when FP2 would've been finalized, so it's out of the running.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
"Spirited Away (Japanese: 千と千尋の神隠し, Hepburn: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, 'Sen and Chihiro’s Spiriting Away') is a 2001 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, animated by Studio Ghibli for Tokuma Shoten, Nippon Television Network, Dentsu, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Tohokushinsha Film, and Mitsubishi.[6] The film stars Rumi Hiiragi, Miyu Irino, Mari Natsuki, Takeshi Naito, Yasuko Sawaguchi, Tsunehiko Kamijō, Takehiko Ono and Bunta Sugawara. Spirited Away tells the story of Chihiro Ogino (Hiiragi), a 10-year-old girl who, while moving to a new neighbourhood, enters the world of Kami (spirits of Japanese Shinto folklore).[7] After her parents are turned into pigs by the witch Yubaba (Natsuki), Chihiro takes a job working in Yubaba's bathhouse to find a way to free herself and her parents and return to the human world."

Point is, Ring Fit Adventure already had a spirit event when FP2 would've been finalized, so it's out of the running.

You win this round...

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah Doom Slayer as a Master Chief echo is like making Sonic a Mario echo, Doom Slayer's particularly interesting when a friend of mine managed to describe his playstyle as "Chrom with a gun". Master Chief would be more tactical so he'd be slower, have defensive moves and likely thinner hitboxes for the gunfire
Yeah playing tactical in Doom games is pretty much playing suboptimally. The series has always placed an emphasis on constant movement and melee combat in combination with the gun stuff.

She’s likely a shoe-in for the next Smash whenever that is. RFA’s release timing doesn’t fit well with Ultimate DLC and I believe we already got a spirit event(?)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, he's a freelancer, but every song he writes for a company is completely owned by said company.
That's probably just a coincidence, cause Nintendo's in charge of hiring composers for remixes, I doubt Microsoft would have chosen ACE or Yuzo Koshiro as their first picks
I'm also pretty sure that licensing a freelancer to arrange paid DLC songs, owned by separate third parties, isn't a spur-of-the-moment thing
I'm assuming that they got to choosing composers after they got all 6 characters locked down, not individually

Stratos

Smash Ace
I read an interview of one of the creators of the Mortal Kombat the Ed Boon has said that he would like to see the Scorpion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but I do not think that is likely to occur.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I read an interview of one of the creators of the Mortal Kombat Ed Boon has said that he would like to see the Scorpion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but I do not think that is likely to occur.
That’s probably old

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I read an interview of one of the creators of the Mortal Kombat Ed Boon has said that he would like to see the Scorpion in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but I do not think that is likely to occur.
It especially doesn't help how unpopular the series is over in the East.

Oof.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I mean, it’s kinda logic, if they were gonna be playable they wouldn’t become a post-release patched in Spirit first
Yeah, that does make sense when you put it that way. I have no idea what first party they would even go with at this point since Sword and Shield and Breath of the Wild also had spirits. Maybe we’ll just get two third parties.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, that does make sense when you put it that way. I have no idea what first party they would even go with at this point since Sword and Shield and Breath of the Wild also had spirits. Maybe we’ll just get two third parties.
Can I offer you a nice Veemo in this trying time?

only Octo Expansion content in base is the spirits of Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy + Octoling Octopus
very little Splatoon 2 base game music in base. Obviously no Octo Expansion music
Splatoon 3 announced this year, coming next year
yeah I want to believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom