• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
I feel a calling... Nothing again :p

Third Party are possible but nothing more.

I would for example say... "Why They accept FE characters if they don't include one?" (?)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I think it depends on how much the 3ds version smash file could handle, if the 3DS smash version is nearly full then I think we are just getting 3 characters but if it's still has more space then we can get at least 6 characters.
just because we could it doesn't mean we will. IMO 7 DLC characters total is pretty amazing as it is. 10 is kinda pushing it but I wouldn't complain haha.

Furret24

Smash Master
this game migh be the last smash game that Sakurai will develope, of course he should try his best to finish this game and try to push as much as he can with his workers.
Weren't Melee and Brawl going to be his last games too? What makes this one special?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Honestly, if it is a veteran, I truly believe the Pokemon have better chances; not only popular and with fully unique movesets, but they would generate more surprise- which is an element we all should be able to agree, like it or not, is legitimate.

Games coming out:
-Mario Tennis (Mario characters: Captain Toad or Waluigi)
-Starfox (Wolf... and to some, Krystal still seems plausible, though I truly do not see how).
-Pokemon Go (Lets not get me started on this series, eh?)
-Animal Crossing Party (KK Slider, Tom Nook, Isabelle)
-Metroid Force (RIDLEY... or something else)
-Hyrule Warriors 3DS and Trforce Warriors (Impa, Vaati, Tetra, Ganon, Tingle...)

Recently released: Chibi Robo, Yoshi's Wooly World, Animal Crossing HHD, Splatoon DLC
We also know that anything on the virtual console can randomly come out at any time. Especially if it were to be Excite Bike ___, Balloon Fighter, etc.

In other words, would this do much to help us?
Regarding Federation Force, Ridley isn't even in it, as pointed above(and he's currently unviable anyway barring unforeseen miracles), and no character has been added as 100% promotion to date. I touched upon this before in a SourceGaming article, but the best shot at Federation Force promotion in Smash is a GF Marine Mii costume. It's extremely unlikely anyway, but with Ridley and Dark Samus absent from FF, theoretical character promotion(which I don't believe is happening) would logically boil down to Sylux IF it were actually happening. Keep in mind, the only DLC content Metroid has gotten in Smash is a Samus costume for the Gunner, so with the lack of attention it has, the series likely isn't getting character DLC.

First off, most of the content is crap anyway.
That's rather subjective. Personally I think that we've received a good deal of great content. But then again, that's up to personal opinion. Perhaps characters not named Isaac or KKR or stages not from Golden Sun or DK are crap to you? I dunno. Would you be happy with an Isaac Mii if it means playing as him?

Of course not. Because, you know, it's Isaac.

If they want to play as Wolf, they can already play as Wolf in Brawl. If they want to play as Snake, they can already play as Snake in Brawl. They need something NEW to get people excited. Lucas was announced alongside Mewtwo's release date, he wasn't in Brawl. Roy was announced alongside Ryu, neither were in Brawl either.
"You want to play as King K. Rool, go play Super Sluggers. Go play Golden Sun if you're desperate to play as Isaac again. Get Project M if you want playable Ridley. Waluigi's always in Mario Tennis if you care."

The argument is rather ridiculous. By that logic, Smash shouldn't have newcomers because hey, you can already play as your most wanted elsewhere!

And yes, I am exaggerating, just to point out how silly you're being.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Why would Nintendo open the ballot for 3rd parties if they weren't going to add any of the ones brought up? I don't really see why 3rd parties are considered unlikely. The only issue at hand is that there aren't a lot of "quality" choices out there. Nintendo has recently worked with Konami. Sakurai loves Metal Gear. Kojima wants Snake in Smash (and despite him not being at Konami, that means he's not going to be offended if Snake comes back).

Anyway, getting Wolf, the #1 voted character voted among quite a few polls out there, would be a letdown? I get that it's been awhile since we've gotten a reveal. But, really be happy we get anything. I wouldn't expect anything from the ballot just yet myself. Just because there were clear leaders doesn't mean they've already started work on them.

The way I see it, there was likely at least another vet/newcomer planned pre-ballot, and they'll be revealed next. Ballot characters will begin being revealed soon, assuming they have stuff available to show.

A newcomer would be nice, yes. But I don't think we should act disappointed and act like we deserve things when we're getting a ton of great extra content as it is.
Because it ballot is influencing choices for Smash 5 (and possibly beyond), as said by Iwata.
There's no reason that they "have" to include a 3rd Party as DLC.

Edit:
Weren't Melee and Brawl going to be his last games too? What makes this one special?
Sakurai's older, his body's getting more worn down, and he's mostly limited is work to passion projects.

Even a broken clock is right two times a day, there's a good chance he'll hang up his smashdom after this.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
"You want to play as King K. Rool, go play Super Sluggers. Go play Golden Sun if you're desperate to play as Isaac again. Get Project M if you want playable Ridley. Waluigi's always in Mario Tennis if you care."

The argument is rather ridiculous. By that logic, Smash shouldn't have newcomers because hey, you can already play as your most wanted elsewhere!

And yes, I am exaggerating, just to point out how silly you're being.
And if you want to play as Ridley then you can go play.... Oh yeah..

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
And if you want to play as Ridley then you can go play.... Oh yeah..
Project M with Bagan's mod, you kinda missed that in my write up.

Official game or not, it's still a damn fine playable Ridley as is. Better than nothing.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Has anyone reviewed what games are coming out?
Maybe DLC characters will be released along side those, for promotional purposes.
Or maybe even other Nintendo media.
Even if we were to follow up on those, there would only be a few options based on the games alone.

Fire Emblem: Fates - Corrin/Azura
Genei Ibun Roku #FE - Itsuki & Chrom/Tsubasa & Sheeda
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - Paper Mario
Star Fox Zero - Wolf
Pokken Fighter - Any of the fighters in the roster (most likely Blaziken)
Hyrule Warriors Legends - Lana/Tetra
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - Federation Marine (Oh boy)
Zelda U - Whatever new character is introduced
Pikmin 4 - A new captain or Brittany/Charlie

So few options and good choices to choose from out of these characters. Most are relatively new with little support (Federation Marine and Itsuki & Chrom) while few are actual highly requested characters (Wolf and Paper Mario). It's only a matter if Sakurai's team feels that it's appropriate to promote these games with a character.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Even if we were to follow up on those, there would only be a few options based on the games alone.

Star Fox Zero - Wolf

So few options and good choices to choose from out of these characters. Most are relatively new with little support (Federation Marine and Itsuki & Chrom) while few are actual highly requested characters (Wolf and Paper Mario). It's only a matter if Sakurai's team feels that it's appropriate to promote these games with a character.
Zelda U - Ganon*
HW: Legends - Ganon*
Pokken Fighter - Pikach-- no wait, Lucari-- wait! Charizar-- WAIT! Pikachu LIBRE!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Star Fox Zero - Wolf

Let's be honest, the entire fandom (especially the Metroid fans) would hate Smash forever if they even think about adding such a character in the roster. I don't even see anyone warming up to Federation Force unless it turns out to be more fun than what could be a low budget game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Let's be honest, the entire fandom (especially the Metroid fans) would hate Smash forever if they even think about adding such a character in the roster. I don't even see anyone warming up to Federation Force unless it turns out to be more fun than what could be a low budget game.
If the fans can deal with characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, then they should deal with the Federation Force soldier. It's not like I hate the game or anything, but I feel that the fandom is over exaggerating on this game meaning the death of the Metroid franchise. And this is coming from someone who would have preferred a Punch Out U over what Next Level Games is giving us. :rolleyes:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
If the fans can deal with characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, then they should deal with the Federation Force soldier.
The difference is that Duck Hunt and Wii Fit are actually historically relevant games while Federation Force seems to be no more than a low tier spinoff.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
May I ask why you made this comparison? They aren't even in the same Ballpark.
Remember the severe negative reactions when they were first added/revealed? That alone is a good enough reason to compare the three, even though the hate seem to have died down with a few stinkers who want them to be cut next time. And you are talking to a Wii Fit Trainer main.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Remember the severe negative reactions when they were first added/revealed? That alone is a good enough reason to compare the three, even though the hate seem to have died down with a few stinkers who want them to be cut next time. And you are talking to a Wii Fit Trainer main.
I'm pretty sure there are more people complaining about Dorf being a clone to this day than those who want those two cut. And besides, R.O.B. staying for two games is proff that Miss Fit and Duck Hunt are safe from roster cuts. And besides, those haters are now vocal minorities with the majority warming up to their inclusion or ignoring them altogether.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
But both have history with Nintendo and are fairly iconic. Federation Force is just a mediocre spinoff few will really care about.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In their defense, that was for the base game. Adding a FF Marine as it's own character as DLC would incite a negative reaction from a lot of people. Granted, pretty much any character revealed is going to be hated by a group of people regardless, but then there's how much they would be hated.

And then there's the issue of people not accepting the idea of non-Ridley Metroid characters in Smash, which is a whole other can of worms.

Burruni

Smash Hero
:rob::4wiifit: and :4duckhunt: got their initial backlash from being silly choices. But were good characters with quirky charm where there were quickly a lot of fans for them.

A Federation Trooper
a) Is from a game people have DESPISED since it was first seen
b) Is an overall generic character better fit for a Mii Gunner suit.
c) Is from a series with more long-standing characters with far higher demand. Even beyond the AT's and Ridley.

Edit: And this DLC, a totally different ballgame.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
But both have history with Nintendo and are fairly iconic. Federation Force is just a mediocre spinoff few will really care about.
Fair enough. Adding these characters would be like making Sticks the Badger playable in Smash (As fun as that sounds). And like the Liquid guy said, these are better off as Mii Fighter costumes instead since it's all about keeping the fandom content.

Still sticking with the belief that Wolf and Paper Mario are the only characters featured in upcoming titles worth promoting in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Fair enough. Adding these characters would be like making Sticks the Badger playable in Smash (As fun as that sounds).
Exactly. And we all know how the Sonic fandom would feel if a character created specifically from a Western developed series of games and a decent TV Show is playable over more iconic Sonic characters (Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman).

*insert SammyClassicSonicFan rant here*

So yeah, adding Sticks before those three would cause as much damage as getting Generic Federation Soldier #314 over Ridley and the hunters.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I don't think the potential six slot thing means six more characters are on the way. We're probably just getting the three and that's it. It'll probably look something like this on the 3DS version. (but with like, three different characters potentially)
I'm not particularly fond of Etika's content, but seeing him react to himself being in the game would be hysterical. :4mewtwo:

Even if most of his reactions are fake and blown out of proportion... :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm pretty sure there are more people complaining about Dorf being a clone to this day than those who want those two cut.
Silly Azure.

There are more people complaining about Dark Pit in general to this day, as we've seen in this very thread. It drives them up the wall that he was a bonus character with a few thinking he INFLATES TEH ROSTER 4 NO RAISIN OMG. :cheep:

And like the Liquid guy said, these are better off as Mii Fighter costumes instead since it's all about keeping the fandom content.
Hah.

This fandom is never content.

So yeah, adding Sticks before those three would cause as much damage as getting Generic Federation Soldier #314 over Ridley and the hunters.
*nitpicks like mad that you were one number away from referencing AU313*

Only specific Hunters, though. Only two that people would remotely understand getting in Smash would be Rundas and Sylux.

Burruni

Smash Hero
People saying that the final boss for Triforce Heroes is an oddball handling compared to your normal doom & gloom.

Go play the Tingle Games.

The final boss of Rosey Rupeeland is a diety of greed that goes super saiyan that you beat by firing ruppees at from a pot in a machine gun pace while in outer space, surviving solely from having a fish bowl on your head.

The final boss of Heartful Baloon Trip looks like Bedlam's human form (PM:TTYD) who summons an army of insects and other ilk with her head that you repell with power of love before she goes pure Shadow Queen and you overcharge her in Lovergy.
And how do you launch this? Kiss-shaped projectiles launched from a Slingshot where the actual body of the device is a body-builder tier buff Tingle flexing.

I WISH I COULD MAKE THIS UP.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only Tingle would be playable in the future. But then again, he is the "Slippy Toad" of the American Zelda fandom while Japan and Europe adores that green weirdo. At least he's a fun character to play as in Hyrule Warriors with his many balloon traps.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
If only Tingle would be playable in the future. But then again, he is the "Slippy Toad" of the American Zelda fandom while Japan and Europe adores that green weirdo. At least he's a fun character to play as in Hyrule Warriors with his many balloon traps.
Honestly, I kinda wanna see it happen (after Ganon) for the salt and the sheer absurdity of how he'd work as a fighter.

Michael Howson

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrightKnight27
I believe and hope that we are getting 6 more. It would make both select screens perfect rectangles. I feel that would be a good round number of 10 DLC characters for the roster. I think we will probably get 1 or 2 by the end of the year, 2-3 around the time of early-mid next year (May-June) and then 2 sometime late next year (September-November).

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't buy that we're only getting 3 more characters, Roy, Ryu and Lucas came out a long time ago, i fully expect we're gonna get 4 to 6 characters
Staying with my belief of 8 in total, so 4 more however I won't complain if we get more, but preferably not more than 10 since that would be too much IMHO - save some for next game and you have to stop somewhere....

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I feel that number is good. If we got those 4 more who would you want?
Anyone from my top 11, so the 7 in my sig and Snake, Impa, Rayman and Squirtle, really. But if I had to choose then Shantae, King K Rool, Bayonetta & Ivysuar (because I'm 3rd party biased and I'd rather have a unique veteran than a semi-clone). #3rdPartyLove

It's really hard to decide when you want so many tho. >.<

How about you?

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I don't buy that we're only getting 3 more characters, Roy, Ryu and Lucas came out a long time ago, i fully expect we're gonna get 4 to 6 characters
I agree I can see 4 to 6 more characters coming since there's still a bit of data l hope when they finally give us an update they give us an exact number since "several" is kinda vague

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Well if Mega Man and Street Fighter are the two most legendary Capcom series, what are the most legendary SEGA series besides Sonic?
Isn't it Puyo Puyo? That series is still going on today, right?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Phantasy Star as well. I think it's also still alive today.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Whoever says the Veterans we got weren't hype have been on this site for too long.

Veterans are almost always gonna place extremely high in character polls for both Japan and the US

Saying they aren't hype is not only inflammatory, pretty is much ****ing wrong, even for this site in certain cases (do you see how many people want Ice Climbers back here?).

You can not like a character, just as you can not like a game (for example I have trouble getting into Smash 4 competitively). But saying they don't count is just dumb.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Are we still arguing about the fact that a veteran would generate less hype than a newcomer, (or the fallacious... vice versa)?
Its not really debatable to tell what the majority would feel:
all we have to do is look at why marketing teams always use the word "New," why such a trigger word elicits the concept that the human psyche, BY MAJORITY, in Smash and out of Smash, gets excited.

If we are going to start speaking about the collective psychology of Smash players, I request we start backing our research into this field; we are all welcome to 'like' the posts to which we agree on here, but it demonstrates nothing about what is the truth (which in context, for what the human being, as a species, tends to be intrigued).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom