• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I have to say that the only way the other character could be Bandana Dee is if a new Kirby game is announced soon.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I empathize with what is probably an emotional process for Nintendo in making their first-Direct in a post-Iwata world. It's certainly not going to be easy to fill his shoes. But that being said, it's been almost four months. It's almost laughably inept if they can't cobble together half an hour of footage from upcoming releases, spliced in with a few scripted segments, in all that time. The entire Nintendo fanbase has been scrounging for Twitter scraps on their entire list of future releases. I don't know what audience Nintendo believes is seeing these, but if they're under the impression it's more than the few thousand Internet fans, many of whom are quickly losing interest, they're gravely mistaken. Not to presume I know better, but this is how you run a business?

On a similar note, I just know when something inevitably gets leaked for Smash, people are going to cry out "Poor Sakurai" and place blame on fans for receiving and discussing news. If you want to actually level blame the right direction, though, blame Nintendo for kicking the can back this far to the point where leaks became a realistic possibility, as loose-lipped insiders couldn't hold onto themselves any longer. They're to blame, not the fans they've driven to such a restless state.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I empathize with what is probably an emotional process for Nintendo in making their first-Direct in a post-Iwata world. It's certainly not going to be easy to fill his shoes. But that being said, it's been almost four months. It's almost laughably inept if they can't cobble together half an hour of footage from upcoming releases, spliced in with a few scripted segments, in all that time. The entire Nintendo fanbase has been scrounging for Twitter scraps that ultimately go to the same few thousand Internet fans, many of whom are quickly losing interest and tuning out. Not to presume I know better, but this is how you run a business?

On a similar note, I just know when something inevitably gets leaked for Smash, people are going to cry out "Poor Sakurai" and place blame on fans for receiving and discussing news. If you want to actually level blame the right direction, though, blame Nintendo for kicking the can back this far to the point where leaks became a realistic possibility, as loose-lipped insiders couldn't hold onto themselves any longer.
Well we know that you're quite tired of waiting!! Haha. I don't disagree, though, depending on small tweets to keep people interested is going to kill them. They need to keep operating without Iwata.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well we know that you're quite tired of waiting!! Haha. I don't disagree, though, depending on small tweets to keep people interested is going to kill them. They need to keep operating without Iwata.
I mean, there is that, but like BKupa, I am tired of waiting as well. It's either we get an announcement later on today or we wait a few weeks for another chance.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You can't look at it like they're taking a spot away from a character like K. Rool or Isaac, because to be honest Nintendo has no interest in characters like K. Rool or Isaac. At least not right now, anyways.

The Inklings do deserve to be in Smash lol, even if they're coming in a little early it's certainly not the first time something like this has or was going to happen. :4lucas::4feroy::4greninja::4lucario:
Inklings are part of a brand they know sells, Retro hasn't used K. Rool and Golden Sun isn't a big name. This is Nintendo's decision, not the Ballot's. Even then, to be fair, the Inklings and Splatoon brand is going to be bigger than both of those two combined in time.

You have the right to be disappointed if you have no interest in the character, but they're not stealing anyone's spot if they are being designated one specifically for them.
This post really rubs me the wrong way.
The perception of the ballot, whether true or not, is that it gave fans an option to advocate characters.
Your post essentially says that Nintendo doesn't need to adhere to anything fans wanted, but rather, are entitled to use this poll as a means to justify decisions they already made.

If that is the case, Nintendo is in the wrong; this de facto would make the poll a hoax, and a means to steal publicity.
Nintendo is not a company of this degraded morality.
_______

Hence, why there are, in fact, poor choices for characters. A strict thought that 'there are no wrong characters,' specifically in this context (poll/DLC), is merely the thought of a fanboy- someone who will support a product/company, regardless of the merit of the decision. A person unwilling to criticize is a person unwilling to face reality.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really don't understand the loss of hope so quickly guys. Directs have been announcened anywhere from 17pm to 23 something pm UK time and it's only 19:20 here haha.

Really hoping that if there is to be a newcomer, Wolf will be announced either later on or at the same time. That's what worries me atm.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really don't understand the loss of hope so quickly guys. Directs have been announcened anywhere from 17pm to 23 something pm UK time and it's only 19:20 here haha.

Really hoping that if there is to be a newcomer, Wolf will be announced either later on or at the same time. That's what worries me atm.
...what is it that worries you, that Wolf would be announced with a newcomer? That he would not be announced? Certainly you insinuate implications to both responses.

Wolf, in fact no veteran, can win the ballot. They may be in the game, but it destroys any, ANY credibility of a fan advocation, for a veteran (of only 8 missing at present time) has nothing new nor innovative about it.

If the claim is that ANY VETERAN 'won' the ballot Nintendo loses.There will be no escaping that PR; there isnt even a way to spin it.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
...what is it that worries you, that Wolf would be announced with a newcomer? That he would not be announced? Certainly you insinuate implications to both responses.

Wolf, in fact no veteran, can win the ballot. They may be in the game, but it destroys any, ANY credibility of a fan advocation, for a veteran (of only 8 missing at present time) has nothing new nor innovative about it.

If the claim is that ANY VETERAN 'won' the ballot Nintendo loses.There will be no escaping that PR; there isnt even a way to spin it.
Wolf's extremely popular, and in some polls, the number 1 most wanted character. If he gets in through the ballot, Nintendo is only going to be rewarded with money, not bad rep. It seems you're generalizing your own opinions onto others.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I empathize with what is probably an emotional process for Nintendo in making their first-Direct in a post-Iwata world. It's certainly not going to be easy to fill his shoes. But that being said, it's been almost four months. It's almost laughably inept if they can't cobble together half an hour of footage from upcoming releases, spliced in with a few scripted segments, in all that time. The entire Nintendo fanbase has been scrounging for Twitter scraps on their entire list of future releases. I don't know what audience Nintendo believes is seeing these, but if they're under the impression it's more than the few thousand Internet fans, many of whom are quickly losing interest, they're gravely mistaken. Not to presume I know better, but this is how you run a business?

On a similar note, I just know when something inevitably gets leaked for Smash, people are going to cry out "Poor Sakurai" and place blame on fans for receiving and discussing news. If you want to actually level blame the right direction, though, blame Nintendo for kicking the can back this far to the point where leaks became a realistic possibility, as loose-lipped insiders couldn't hold onto themselves any longer. They're to blame, not the fans they've driven to such a restless state.
This a good post.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Pretty much, "Inklings aren't the character I wanted, so **** that".

Inklings would be a great Smash character. Covering the ground with Ink and using tons of things from Splatoon would make for a great moveset. From what I've read, people hating on Inklings are either hating because

A) "They don't deserve it! My favored character deserves it more so add him/her!" (it's not about who deserves it. It's about who appeals to consumers and who can sell)

B) They haven't played Splatoon and are complaining to complain. (hipsters)

Inklings are a top choice in the Ballot. They're a popular choice. Now all of a sudden, people are coming out of the woodwork, "THEY DON'T DESERVE IT! THIS SUCKS! WAY TO SUCK SAKURAI!"

I swear this fanbase gets funny. One day they argue one thing, the next they argue something else and express hatred towards a character. There's hardly any critical thinking involved. It's, "Not my character? SUCKS" or "Your character has NOTHING ON MINE!!111!"
That's wrong. I personally don't want the Inklings. I played the game and enjoyed it. I don't necessarily want any other character.

Well, except for Lloyd but I as a fan of the Tales Of series don't see that happening. And I'm satisfied as I already got Mewtwo.

Why I don't NECESSARILY want Inklings is frankly because, Nintendo is milking that franchise dry. It's getting annoying at this point and in 2 years that franchise will be dry as hell.

IndigoSSB IndigoSSB Nah, I mean the starter of this rumor. I see it as a countdown of sorts.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Idk, something about this whole rumor thing hinting at 'a' character that is a newcomer means (if rumor is correct) that Wolf may not be a pre-ballot character. I just really want to try all the cut veterans of Brawl since Sm4sh is my first game and Wolf seems the most likely by far. TBH, the only cut veteran I wouldn't mind not playing as is Lucas because I rarely use Ness anyway but I sometimes enjoy using Lucas anyway haha.

Fear not, chances are K Rool or some other newcomer 'won' the ballot, going by multiple big fan polls in both Japan and globally.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Your darkest timeline, my brightest timeline. Feels good to be open minded.
This is, quite literally, the antithesis of what open-minded means. Too many people try to claim altruistic superiority in asserting that their opinion, which is just different or even less commonly believed, makes them open minded. It asserts that there is a 'quality' to what an open mind is, as if some beliefs are high-quality. Open mindedness is about quantity.

Hope this did not get too personal, but it is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Being "deserving" is incredibly arbitrary anyway.

"X is deserving because A, B and C"

"Y is deserving because D, E and F"

Deserving seems like another trigger word. A lot of characters are deserving for different reasons. From my experience, however, think of it this way...if being new means you aren't as deserving, Robin and Greninja should have never happened. Yet, I find them incredibly fun to play as in Smash. Greninja is my main. Same could be said for Shulk.

Inklings might be viewed a certain way, but could prove to be one of the most interesting and fun characters in Smash...which is what matters considering we PLAY the game, not stare at it like a hall of fame to "ooo" and "aaahhh" at.
I agree with your overall point, but not your example in Robin. Sakurai went on record to state that adding Robin completed the essence of Fire Emblem in Smash. If you wan to mention non-deserving characters in Smash bros, we can assume Dark Pit is a better example.
"Deservingness" is certainly not arbitrary- it holds a lot of validity in regard to character choice. That said, it is impossible to codify, which makes it difficult to argue.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Didn't expect it to be real, once again. Just wanted people more awake/aware than I to tear it apart.

So, we still got nothin for a direct?
Whoopedy doo.
There's still time for one to be announced.
And, as I proved with the MK8 direct, one doesn't have to be announced to air.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Okay I COMPLETELY forgot about that. Will be such a surprise if this happens again, but thankfully unlikely since I want to know when it would be so yeah. :D

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
If you mean that a Direct doesn't have to be announced to air, sir, that is not the case now.

We have had no directs for the past 3 months, They would HAVE to announce a direct at this point.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, according to Octogirl:

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/653709638089572352

"A storm's a brewing. Smash, Splatoon, and now Twilight Princess HD. Nintendo, hurry up and announce the Direct already."

"@NWPlayer123 Didn't you say that there would be a direct on the 14th?"

"‏@SuperSmashBala I said it'd be announced either tomorrow or Wednesday, and air on Friday."

"@NWPlayer123 Is that just a guess or is there some factual evidence backing this up?"

"@SuperSmashBala just a guess for now, they can't wait long after the whole SplatNet/OctoNet thing"

The only evidence for a Direct on Wednesday was Octogirl's statement (either it was misinterpreted or she's lying now to save face, but either way its only speculation anyway), and the theory that Nintendo often has Directs on Wednesday. None of the "leakers" ever stated when there would be a Direct, and Nintendo has had Directs on both Thursday and Friday as well.

So, yeah, a Direct not getting announced today doesn't debunk anything. The plausibility may go down, but its certainly not impossible for a Direct to be planned for Thursday or Friday.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
What is "winning" the ballot? Does it mean they lead it or does it mean the it got them in the game? Would we even know if the ballot influenced or caused a fighter to get in?

Even if Wolf is released after the ballot results are mentioned (if we even see them), how can we know that it was the reason he got in?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What is "winning" the ballot? Does it mean they lead it or does it mean the it got them in the game? Would we even know if the ballot influenced or caused a fighter to get in?

Even if Wolf is released after the ballot results are mentioned (if we even see them), how can we know that it was the reason he got in?
I think "winning" the ballot is a fan made term.
Though whoever got in due to the ballot I guess could be considered "winners"?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Some people assume "winning" the ballot means getting the most votes. I think the better term is "ballot winners," characters who got into Smash because of the ballot. How will we know who ballot winners are? We'll only know if Sakurai and Nintendo say "this character was chosen from the Smash Ballot" or "with influence from the Smash ballot."

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860

It's entirely possible we won't get to see the ballot results. Probably because they'd check which characters are requested and would actually sell. Then, those characters would be made.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Winning the ballot means getting into the game via the ballot.
We do not know that his has anything to do with quality, quantity, nor unique inspiration. We have no idea what Nintendo actually used the ballot for, and this has been a discussion from the beginning; never once was it stated 'number of votes' means anything to the 'winner.'

The winner of the ballot, or winners, are characters who get into the game because the poll gave Nintendo insight into their necessity.
This is why I believe a veteran cannot win, it destroys public interpretation of what the ballot is. A forefront character cut from the game is not a winner.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I interpret it as the highest vote-getting character(s) that are feasible to make. Say the order is Shrek 1st, Banjo 2nd, K. Rool 3rd...K. Rool would be the winner because of how impossible the other two above him are. People like to forgo nuance and just say "because #1 may be Shrek, Nintendo should ignore the high feasible characters and do what it wants," like passing off lower newcomers by way of "it's a suggestion box." I don't think that's a good course of action, though...they put out a means for us to deliver character popularity data and ideas to them, and shouldn't ignore them if they don't match up with their preconceived notions of who to add.

Of course, like JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said, there will be more than one ballot character, therefore the winner isn't just the highest feasible vote-getter, but whoever else gets in from the ballot as well. "From the ballot" being key, since you could have high-ranking characters who get in independently, like Inklings seem positioned to do at the moment (or if they choose Shovel Knight to advance some agenda with Yacht Club, for example).

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
This is, quite literally, the antithesis of what open-minded means. Too many people try to claim altruistic superiority in asserting that their opinion, which is just different or even less commonly believed, makes them open minded. It asserts that there is a 'quality' to what an open mind is, as if some beliefs are high-quality. Open mindedness is about quantity.
What Polan said doesn't come even remotely close to implying he was taking the moral high ground.

In fact, it's pretty disturbing that a thread allegedly about character discussion encourages complete and utter dismissal and even disdain of certain characters and their supporters. Main example being likening certain newcomers to be some kind of tragic event in the Smash Bros. series. I believe that's called melodrama, is it not? Meanwhile, someone comes along suggesting people be more open-minded, and they're slammed in return.

For the record, like Vocal minorty and Silent majority, I can't stand how most people erroneously use the terms "open/closed-minded" either.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
What Polan said doesn't come even remotely close to implying he was taking the moral high ground.

In fact, it's pretty disturbing that a thread allegedly about character discussion encourages complete and utter dismissal and even disdain of certain characters and their supporters. Main example being likening certain newcomers to be some kind of tragic event in the Smash Bros. series. I believe that's called melodrama, is it not? Meanwhile, someone comes along suggesting people be more open-minded, and they're slammed in return.

For the record, like Vocal minorty and Silent majority, I can't stand how most people erroneously use the terms "open/closed-minded" either.
Likewise, it is a character discussion thread. And not a character support one. We can either state who we want and why, or who we don't want and why.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Honestly, I'm not expecting much if we get a Direct; remember that they're still kind of stumbling over Iwata's completely unexpected death, and I certainly don't think they're very willing to do Directs without him, at least not untill they can find somebody who can fill in for Iwata properly.
Iwata's death was not unexpected; he had a very rare form of cancer, which was a source of his poor health for multiple years.
As a company, regardless of how much he may have meant to them (and to gaming), they must move forward. Iwata's death being used as an excuse to lack of followup information, is uninformed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I merely defined an incorrect statement. If you are upset, you too need to understand what it means to be 'open minded,' or at least more accurately relate my initial post and response to this tantrum you have come upon.

Additionally, this is character discussion thread, not character-blind-advocacy. If you would like to take this further off point, PM me. Quite literally, your response is not TO me, until you get to the sentence "Meanwhile, someone comes along." Again, that is by definition a derogatory means of communication. Unnecessary.
Apologies if double post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom