• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Jesus why is it so bad to expect nothing but 3 parties from the ballot i know lots of people who would be more hyped about 3rd parties than vets or a Nintendo newcomer.Im sure most of the casual crowd would be more hyped for a character like shovel knight than someone like Isaac who is someone i genuinely want a 1000 times more than shovel knight
If we got Isaac the SK fans could be happy with the Judgement Final Smash as it resembles SK.

:troll:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
A lot of work has been put into Viridi's hair compared to anyother mii costume so far. I'm impressed and it makes me happy it's here.But also sad Viridi isn't an actual fighter.

;.;

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In response to the whole conflict, I agree that I could have said what I did a bit differently and to Blue I do apologize if you were heavily offended.

My viewpoint remains unchanged, however, and will remain as is.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Is it even confirmed that we have six more slots? I mean, honestly

Smooth Criminal
I believe only two have been confirmed at this point (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). Anything beyond that is speculation.

A lot of work has been put into Viridi's hair compared to anyother mii costume so far. I'm impressed and it makes me happy it's here.But also sad Viridi isn't an actual fighter.

;.;
Not like she had a shot in the first place. More exposure is a good thing for characters like her which is why i'm so freaking happy.
S M A S H 5 B O I S

Hurray for needlessly aggressive arguments

Last edited:

EvanBuck

Smash Cadet
I guess if we want to predict the newcomer we should look at what unique trait they would bring to the roster?

Ryu brought the button combos for moves thingy.
Rosalina a puppeteer character.
Little Mac a KO meter.
Villager Pockets attacks.
Bowser Jr a mech character.
THat's probably a good idea, but not a surefire way. After all, what wolf give us different from Fox? Even though he's a leading character to get in, I honestly don't see what Wolf would bring to the table that's RADICALLY different than established characters. (Note the word "radically." I know he is different in Brawl, but I'm taking about groundbreaking new movesets.)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We're just waiting on shinyquagsire23 to confirm this additional placeholders rumor, since PushDustin asked him not a few hours ago on Twitter.

It would change the playing field for sure, but let's wait until we actually know.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
THat's probably a good idea, but not a surefire way. After all, what wolf give us different from Fox? Even though he's a leading character to get in, I honestly don't see what Wolf would bring to the table that's RADICALLY different than established characters. (Note the word "radically." I know he is different in Brawl, but I'm taking about groundbreaking new movesets.)
Wolf isnt a newcomer, he would be a vet.

Wolf gets the mewtwo, lucas, roy pass.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
1) Wolf's a veteran. He's excluded from bringing anything particularly new to the roster.

2) K. Rool would be a heavyweight with a largely ranged arsenal, where we have light options in :4duckhunt::4lucas::4ness::4tlink::4villager: and medium weight in :4link:, just for an example. A fighter doesn't need some ground-breaker, as long as they add something to the roster itself.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Because that means that of the voting for who people want in Smash, the game which embodies bringing as much of Nintendo's history and franchies into one fanfictionly convoluted fighting game of glory with a number of big-name 3rd Party characters who have shaped gaming as a whole leads to three groupings of thought, in that scenario.

One point is that of the suggestions, that any characters from Nintendo themselves were irrelevant or so wildly unpopular into comparison of the third parties picked.

Two is that there are few 3rd Parties that people feel have had the impact on gaming as a whole that are on par of the 5 we have seen to date.

Third is that our DLC would end up being up to 4 cut veterans (who feel more like "lost" from the main game due to time) and then a grouping of 3rd Party choices with ranging importance and impact.
But to me that shouldn't matter.The ballot since day one has stated any character is up for consideration.So if a 3rd party has a lot of support and sakurai believes they could bring something unique to the table they'll be added.you said it best Nintendo is a celebration of history. But what is Nintendo without there 3rd party support?You cant deny some of the best games ever made on Nintendo platforms are from 3rd parties.Castlevania ,bomberman, banjo kazooie, Earthworm jim,sonic,street fighter,megaman,no more heroes,resident evil i could go on forever. Or how some characters we want were made by 3rd parties Nintendo may own k rool but rare created him.And another quick point we the smash community are the minority.Were loud but were the minority a nintendo employee just got fired for saying that and who we think is doing good may not being as good as we think.Look i don't personally want the ballot to be a bunch of 3rd parties but if it is so what we are all gonna buy it anyway its always been like that and probably will always be like that.Smash if fun and sometimes i feel we forget that sometimes

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think we'll be getting a character that is easier to make.

Remember, most of the Smash Bros team Sakurai originally had is now gone. He can't build completely unique and original characters from scratch. That's why a character like Wolf got in over Krystal last time. Because Krystal would have meant building a new character from scratch while Wolf wouldn't.

This is probably why K. Rool might end up just being a costume.

And I know some of you are going to point out Ryu as a completely new character from scratch but Ialso know he's a humanoid character which (I think I heard) are the easiest to make.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
My own personal third party hopes and dreams, are simply a second Namco and Sega character
Flame Shield Activated

However none of those characters are very popular or have made the significant impact pacman, megaman, sonic, Ryu have. However I would say although not as popular as the indies right now, they have made a bigger impact.

Personally I would love to see Tails as a second Sega rep, simply to pay homage to the fake magazine leak back in the melee days. Second to tails I would like NiGHTS just because of personal bias.

As for Namco, well, I gotta say Klonoa, I have a great opinion about the character and feel like Klo has most merit when compared to other Namco characters. Second to Klo i'd have to say Agumon or Mametchi. (However they're more-so Bandai characters, if that means anything)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think we'll be getting a character that is easier to make.

Remember, most of the Smash Bros team Sakurai originally had is now gone. He can't build completely unique and original characters from scratch. That's why a character like Wolf got in over Krystal last time. Because Krystal would have meant building a new character from scratch while Wolf wouldn't.

This is probably why K. Rool might end up just being a costume.

And I know some of you are going to point out Ryu as a completely new character from scratch but Ialso know he's a humanoid character which (I think I heard) are the easiest to make.
To be fair, how many non-humanoid characters do we even have on the roster? They might be easier to develop, but none of the potential top contenders are non-humanoid regardless. Albeit, Ryu was somewhat easier because his move-set was ripped straight from Street Fighter. Sakurai did not really have to create anything unique, he just had to do the animation work. Part of me believes that is why Banjo and Kazooie stand a better chance than other third-party characters, but that is honestly just wishful thinking.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
But to me that shouldn't matter.The ballot since day one has stated any character is up for consideration.So if a 3rd party has a lot of support and sakurai believes they could bring something unique to the table they'll be added.you said it best Nintendo is a celebration of history. But what is Nintendo without there 3rd party support?You cant deny some of the best games ever made on Nintendo platforms are from 3rd parties.Castlevania ,bomberman, banjo kazooie, Earthworm jim,sonic,street fighter,megaman,no more heroes,resident evil i could go on forever. Or how some characters we want were made by 3rd parties Nintendo may own k rool but rare created him.And another quick point we the smash community are the minority.Were loud but were the minority a nintendo employee just got fired for saying that and who we think is doing good may not being as good as we think.Look i don't personally want the ballot to be a bunch of 3rd parties but if it is so what we are all gonna buy it anyway its always been like that and probably will always be like that.Smash if fun and sometimes i feel we forget that sometimes
Let's remove all the third party titles from the Wii U and see just where Nintendo would be!

We lose Bayonetta 2. Harsh blow, but let's not forget that it's more of a "Nintendo supporting third parties" than the other way around in that situation, given that the game only exists because Nintendo supported it.

We lose Hyrule Warriors, maybe? I mean, it's a Nintendo IP, even if it was based on a third party IP and developed with a third party developer. But we'll cut it out too.

Nintendo is thriving on their own IP. Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros. (and, yes, it's a NINTENDO IP, and should remain that way). They haven't had solid third party support in quite a while. What's upcoming? Zelda Wii U, Starfox Zero... Yeah, I'd miss Fatal Frame, but it's not a system seller.

Now, I'm not saying 3rd parties are impossible, or even improbable. Ryu blew away any chance of that, as that series hasn't been seriously connected to Nintendo in a long time, yet still got in.

But to say that Nintendo got where it is off the backs of third party IPs is just wrong. The biggest sellers on Nintendo platforms are Nintendo IPs, and have been since the NES.

Also, if we're discussing third parties that used to support Nintendo in a bygone era before abandoning them, Square Enix should get some Final Fantasy representation in alongside your proposed Castlevania rep. Or, if you want third parties who STILL have a solid relationship with Nintendo after years, Harvest Moon says "hi".

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo counts as a new character from scratch because its Melee self was too old to serve as an assest, and he isn't humanoid. Granted, they already thought a moveset for him years ago, but thinking of a moveset is the easiest part anyway, if the fact that the average fan on this site can do a decentish job at it is of any indication.
If Mewtwo counts as humanoid, then King K. Rool counts too; both are bipedal creatures with a tail; the only difference is that Mewtwo is slim and K. Rool is fat.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Let's remove all the third party titles from the Wii U and see just where Nintendo would be!

We lose Bayonetta 2. Harsh blow, but let's not forget that it's more of a "Nintendo supporting third parties" than the other way around in that situation, given that the game only exists because Nintendo supported it.

We lose Hyrule Warriors, maybe? I mean, it's a Nintendo IP, even if it was based on a third party IP and developed with a third party developer. But we'll cut it out too.

Nintendo is thriving on their own IP. Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros. (and, yes, it's a NINTENDO IP, and should remain that way). They haven't had solid third party support in quite a while. What's upcoming? Zelda Wii U, Starfox Zero... Yeah, I'd miss Fatal Frame, but it's not a system seller.

Now, I'm not saying 3rd parties are impossible, or even improbable. Ryu blew away any chance of that, as that series hasn't been seriously connected to Nintendo in a long time, yet still got in.

But to say that Nintendo got where it is off the backs of third party IPs is just wrong. The biggest sellers on Nintendo platforms are Nintendo IPs, and have been since the NES.

Also, if we're discussing third parties that used to support Nintendo in a bygone era before abandoning them, Square Enix should get some Final Fantasy representation in alongside your proposed Castlevania rep. Or, if you want third parties who STILL have a solid relationship with Nintendo after years, Harvest Moon says "hi".
Yeah and lets see were the wii u is now...exactly. But just to make things clear i never said Nintendo is were its at now because of 3rd parties that's extremely dumb and naive but saying that Nintendo's history isnt filled with iconic characters amd series that they dont own is just as naive

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I think that non-veteran characters who are Assist Trophies and/or Mii costumes are not getting in Smash. Sure, Link and Captain Falcon and Samus and Fox are Mii costumes but they were playable characters first. Unless Sakurai makes an unprecedented move like making a character like Chrom or Toad or K. Rool into playable characters after they were made into Mii costumes, I stand by my opinion that Assist Trophies, Mii costumes, etc. are not getting in.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah and lets see were the wii u is now...exactly. But just to make things clear i never said Nintendo is were its at now because of 3rd parties that's extremely dumb and naive but saying that Nintendo's history isnt filled with iconic characters amd series that they dont own is just as naive
You said yourself "what is Nintendo without third party support?". If you didn't mean it, don't ask the question. But the answer is: the company that it is today. A company that cares about its fans and its games. The company that delays unfinished products, instead of rushing them out to market early for a quick buck. The company that has produced more great games on its console than both the XBone and PS4 put together, despite having an inferior market share.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Personally, I think that non-veteran characters who are Assist Trophies and/or Mii costumes are not getting in Smash. Sure, Link and Captain Falcon and Samus and Fox are Mii costumes but they were playable characters first. Unless Sakurai makes an unprecedented move like making a character like Chrom or Toad or K. Rool into playable characters after they were made into Mii costumes, I stand by my opinion that Assist Trophies, Mii costumes, etc. are not getting in.
we saw metaknights mii costume before his character was announced so...it's not impossible. theres no rules there.

even though I agree somewhat a mii costume for a character makes me feel the character is now slightly less likely... only because there is logic in making a costume to "appease" fans of that character without going all the way and making a new playable character. but again no rules, I'm not counting anyone out for having a mii-costume the way I'm counting out assist trophy characters.

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Quite frankly Nintendo would be the best gaming company ever if they knew how to properly implement Multiplayer and online modes.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
but seriously, think about all the online multiplayer there is on xbox and playstation, and then compare it. and the nintendo online is frequently not done right.
plus, so many missed opportunities.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mewtwo counts as a new character from scratch because its Melee self was too old to serve as an assest, and he isn't humanoid. Granted, they already thought a moveset for him years ago, but thinking of a moveset is the easiest part anyway, if the fact that the average fan on this site can do a decentish job at it is of any indication.
If Mewtwo counts as humanoid, then King K. Rool counts too; both are bipedal creatures with a tail; the only difference is that Mewtwo is slim and K. Rool is fat.
No. Anyone can write up a move-set with their ideas. It is MUCH more difficult to make a cohesive move-set that not only accurately represents the character, its franchise, AND Smash Brothers itself while attributing a certain game-play aspect to said move-set. It is not as simple as taking a few things that a character does in their games and assigning them to an input. THAT is what average fans on this site do. They do not consider balance, or what would make the character stand out in a meaningful way without feeling completely and utterly out of place. I would like to also add that fans do not consider the difficulty to program certain moves either. Fans tend to lean on fan service-esque move-sets whereas an actual developer leans on practicality. Is it the easiest part? I am not qualified to answer that; however, you are severely underestimating that work that does go into the process.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
So, guys:

https://twitter.com/memourqui/status/649103862310268928

Dunno how this content got discovered already, but this is apparently all the DLC in this update.

Stages -
Super Mario Maker & Pirate Ship

Mii Fighters -
Business Suit (All)
Toad (Brawler)
Viridi (Swordfighter)
Hunter's Helm/Mail (Swordfighter)
Rathalos Helm/Mail (Swordfighter)
Fox (Gunner)
Captain Falcon (Brawler)
Ouch.. First King K. Rool gets a Mii outfit, now Viridi..? The Kid Icarus fans aren't gonna like that..

Or anybody else for that matter. Who in their right mind wants to make their Mii Fighter look like a character that's ALREADY IN THE GAME??!

But I digress. Is Hunter's Mail supposed to reference Bloodborne or something..?

And I don't even know who Rathalos is.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ouch.. First King K. Rool gets a Mii outfit, now Viridi..? The Kid Icarus fans aren't gonna like that..

Or anybody else for that matter. Who in their right mind wants to make their Mii Fighter look like a character that's ALREADY IN THE GAME??!

But I digress. Is Hunter's Mail supposed to reference Bloodborne or something..?

There were Viridi supporters? If I was a Viridi supporter, I would be psyched that she was even made into a costume in the first place.

My sister, actually. She loves Captain Falcon, but she has difficulty using him in-game. I believe that the Hunter's Mail is a Monster Hunter reference. But I am not entirely certain either.

Preemptive Greninja'd.

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai could Bring Duck Hunt Stage on 3DS also.

I really hope we Get Magicant available on Wii U too.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

The Rathalos is a reoccurring beast from Monster Hunter that is depicted as a red wyvern. Both that and the Hunter's Mail are Monster Hunter references.

Greninj'd.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
we saw metaknights mii costume before his character was announced so...it's not impossible. theres no rules there.

even though I agree somewhat a mii costume for a character makes me feel the character is now slightly less likely... only because there is logic in making a costume to "appease" fans of that character without going all the way and making a new playable character. but again no rules, I'm not counting anyone out for having a mii-costume the way I'm counting out assist trophy characters.
Meta Knight was playable first.... remember Brawl?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Meta Knight was playable first.... remember Brawl?
True. Still I don't think being a costume deconfirms anyone the way being an assist trophy does, though like I said before I'm on board with the costumes making a character feel slightly less likely as there is then a precedent for that characters fan group to feel appeased as their character got represented in the game in some way.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Not necessarily, on the contrary, we love it, it's very well made and very polished too, and the hair effect is great. Plus they have a pre-made Viridi Mii that looks exactly like her, what's not to love?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Rathalos is a reoccurring beast from Monster Hunter that is depicted as a red wyvern. Both that and the Hunter's Mail are Monster Hunter references.

Greninj'd.
So... they turned a dragon into a Mii costume... what if they do this again...? :4samus:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Oh, well I'm glad the Viridi fans are happy. Monster Hunter gear is definitely gonna fly off the metaphorical shelves, as I've heard its a great game.

Are people not that happy about Shovel Knight possibly being added to the game..? The air about him all over Smashboards and even in my class seems to be negative about him.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh, well I'm glad the Viridi fans are happy. Monster Hunter gear is definitely gonna fly off the metaphorical shelves, as I've heard its a great game.

Are people not that happy about Shovel Knight possibly being added to the game..? The air about him all over Smashboards and even in my class seems to be negative about him.
I am mostly negative towards him in response to the staggering positivity in regard to his chances. Honestly, prior to those "leaks" most people did not give Shovel Knight the time of day; currently, certain individuals act as though he is inevitable. It is not a good reason to detract a character, but I just feel as though a Mii Costume is more than enough recognition. A lot of people spout about (intentional rhymes... Okay, fine, it was not intentional) his uniqueness; however, I have yet to see them provide any specific examples. I just get this general "meh" vibe from him. If we are going to get an indie third-party character, Shantae seems more logical and more warranted.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Shovel Knight is okay... just that I would like a character (I personally like) to get in Smash alongside Shovel Knight... like Shantae or Dixie Kong or Tetra or even Isaac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom