• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanBuck

Smash Cadet
All right, here's my take on who I want and who will probably get in.

WHO I WANT: Shadow, Dr. Eggman, King K Rool, Shantae, Professor Layton, Shovel Knight, Bandana Dee, Wolf, Knuckles
WHO WILL PROBABLY GET IN: Wolf, Layton, Shovel Knight, Chorus Kids, IDK who else. But those are the ones I think are most likely.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Really that's the only main reason why I see it happening.
Long ago, in a thread far far away, there was a message directed at you that went along the lines of "presenting your assumptions as fact pisses people off". And you agreed to be diverse when opinionating.

How times have changed.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I truely do be live Bandana Dee's chances are fairly great, he's popular, has a potentialy unique move set and is very relevant. I think that his inclusion is definitely a potential one.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The fact we got a fox mii fighter costume before wolf.

Feels like Wolf is a dead ringer for character DLC.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
As for Dixie, well she doesn't have a costume, now does she. She was also planned for Brawl, so they most likely have something in mind for her.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, but it's not BluePikmin-specific fanservice any more than it is TheAnvil-specific fanservice. My sig isn't a prediction by any means, it's a complete wishlist.

Just think of it this way:
Tails/Rayman/Leon/Other Iconic 3rd Party character is going to take the same amount of time and resources to make as one of your obscure choices, and appeal to a much wider audience. Which I think adheres to Sakurai's instillation of fanservice a lot more.

I get its your prediction and you're entitled to it, but I'd suggest you lower your expectations if you don't want to end up extremely disappointed.
I'm already a little disappointed in letting go of my veterans theory. By the way I'm going with the assumption with the Shovel Knight being real, which debunks the iconic theory itself.

Long ago, in a thread far far away, there was a message directed at you that went along the lines of "presenting your assumptions as fact pisses people off". And you agreed to be diverse when opinionating.

How times have changed.
Is it better that I just stop talking? :(
Now I just feel depressed.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Who I want: Look at sig lol. (incase it doesnt show up; bayonetta, king k rool, wolf, inkling, medusa)

I think will probably get in: Wolf, K Rool, Shantea , Inkling and Waddle Dee. (if we somehow get 5 XD)

And Waveforward is once again asking fans to vote Shantea, take that Shovel Knight!!! ;P

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The fact we got a fox mii fighter costume before wolf.

Feels like Wolf is a dead ringer for character DLC.
Does that mean Dixie is a dead ringer for character DLC too because we got a K Rool Mii Fighter costume before Dixie? :p

Or Captain Toad is a dead ringer because we got Toad Mii Fighter costume before Captain Toad? ;)

Ooh.. and we also got a Viridi Mii Fighter costume before Medusa... is Medusa a dead ringer too? :awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why are we discussing this again? I don't think the patch really changed any character's chances except the one who became Mii costumes and many are going to debate that as well.

It is fan-service isn't it?
It's fanservice, not BluePikmin-service. :rolleyes:

:231:

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Does that mean Dixie is a dead ringer for character DLC too because we got a K Rool Mii Fighter costume before Dixie? :p

Or Captain Toad is a dead ringer because we got Toad Mii Fighter costume before Captain Toad? ;)

Ooh.. and we also got a Viridi Mii Fighter costume before Medusa... is Medusa a dead ringer too? :awesome:
If they were as requested/ popular I would probably feel they were too.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Why are we discussing this again? I don't think the patch really changed any character's chances except the one who became Mii costumes and many are going to debate that as well.
Captain Falcon got a Mii Costume! He's disconfirmed! :awesome:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm already a little disappointed in letting go of my veterans theory. By the way I'm going with the assumption with the Shovel Knight being real, which debunks the iconic theory itself.

The whole Shovel Knight thing is still VERY much just a rumour. One that's already looking less likely with his absence from this update.

There's no point in throwing away the entire precedent of 3rd Party characters in Smash just because of an unfounded rumour.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's straw grasping, but, presumably King K. Rool got his costume because well he's very popular/ requested.
The only other character just as popular/ requested if not more, is wolf.
So why not give him a costume too?
Why a fox one instead, when it could have easily been wolf?
Idk just a little opinion of mine. / straw grasp.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's fanservice, not BluePikmin-service. :rolleyes:
3 of my characters in my predictions are ones that I want the most, and one of them has already been confirmed.
:4lucas:
6/10 of those characters are ones I don't want. It's not Pikmin fan-service if you ask me.

The whole Shovel Knight thing is still VERY much just a rumour. One that's already looking less likely with his absence from this update.

There's no point in throwing away the entire precedent of 3rd Party characters in Smash just because of an unfounded rumour.
If he doesn't get confirmed then, I'll simply just go from there and remove some of the few third parties.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You're assuming things again and treating them as fact.

You haven't debunked anything yet.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Just letting this out here, IF Shovel Knight gets in I will be annoyed, very annoyed, but I'll still buy him like any DLC character.

But what I think should haoppen is...............INDIE MII COSTUMES! Shoevl Knight! Shantea! Steamworld dig guy! Stuffs!

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's just curious out of all the highly requested/ popular first party characters.
Only King K. Rool has recieved a costume so far.
I some what expected a more popularly requested character to get a costume this time around too...
Why not a Wolf or Isaac, or even Icies for that matter.

It's just really interesting Fox costume before a wolf one, ya know?

Makes me think Wolf is being kept on the down low, for character reasons.

Or they're just ignoring he ever existed to begin with not to get our hopes up.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I know how you feel, go to the Nintenzone, I have a comic that may cheer you up! :)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

How times have changed.
You're being overtly disrespectful to Blue.
He hasn't said anything particularly offensive to you, so stop.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

How times have changed.
I see that you generally want to believe what you want to believe, do realize that it usually hurts others in a negative way.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
3 of my characters in my predictions are ones that I want the most, and one of them has already been confirmed.
:4lucas:
6/10 of those characters are ones I don't want. It's not Pikmin fan-service if you ask me.
I see. Your DLC list has rather divisive characters, and none outside of Wolf (and Shovel Knight) are high up there in polls.

That's why I said it looks more like Pikmin-service.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You're being overtly disrespectful to Blue.
He hasn't said anything particularly offensive to you, so stop.
Yes, he did:

Honestly, would Sakurai really care about this at all when he's considering his ballot choices?
"Your point doesn't matter, it's not how Sakurai would think". Dismissive, offensive, and making unfounded conclusions about the character selection process.

It's absurd to think from your perspective, but I think it's very possible at this point with pre ballot closing in.
"Your viewpoint is absurd". Dismissive and offensive.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yes, he did:

"Your point doesn't matter, it's not how Sakurai would think". Dismissive, offensive, and making unfounded conclusions about the character selection process.

You're jumping to conclusions.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yes, he did:

He didn't say it like that, though.
And the last part was in direct response to an insult.
You guys are ganging up on him like always. You can disagree without doing that.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Both sides need to be more respectful to each other.

We can civilly debate these things, can't we?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You're jumping to conclusions.
Dismissive, offensive, and flat-out wrong. Nice to see you trying to one-up BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 there.

I'm quoting his posts, and pointing out that he did, indeed, make offensive comments to LIQUID12A LIQUID12A . He may not have intended to, but his statements were fairly obviously offensive, and I do not blame Liquid for acting hostile in retaliation.

He didn't say it like that, though.
And the last part was in direct response to an insult.
You guys are ganging up on him like always. You can disagree without doing that.
I QUOTED HIS POSTS. I didn't edit them, I didn't change them. He said it EXACTLY "like that".

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Why do I feel like sometimes the members of Smashboards can be like the citizens of Bikini Bottom from modern Spongebob?
Dismissive, offensive, and flat-out wrong. Nice to see you trying to one-up BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 there.

I'm quoting his posts, and pointing out that he did, indeed, make offensive comments to LIQUID12A LIQUID12A . He may not have intended to, but his statements were fairly obviously offensive, and I do not blame Liquid for acting hostile in retaliation.

I QUOTED HIS POSTS. I didn't edit them, I didn't change them. He said it EXACTLY "like that".
He didn't make any offensive comments, you're ruling him out as if he has. And even if he did Liquid was more offensive.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It looks like we're ganging up partly because no one is agreeing with Blue. This isn't either side's fault.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I guess if we want to predict the newcomer we should look at what unique trait they would bring to the roster?

Ryu brought the button combos for moves thingy.
Rosalina a puppeteer character.
Little Mac a KO meter.
Villager Pockets attacks.
Bowser Jr a mech character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am agreeing with him.
But only in the regard that entirely third party newcomer DLC is a possibility. The actual choices are a lot more debatable.
I don't see Layton happening.

Burruni

Smash Hero
“We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally. We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it’s pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience.”

“There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]. Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?”

“Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter.”

“Basically, any character is accepted if I believe it works [in the game]. On the other hand, even if a character is unique, if they overlap with other characters and aren’t unique as a fighter, they are rejected.”

In summation:

1) Is the character popular across the world?

2) Is there anything that the character going to be in within the near future?

3) Is this character unique? Are they /interesting/?

4) Are they representative, important to their series?

5) Do they conflict with how another character works?

6) Do they stand out?

Those are the 6 "Principles," not going to call them straight rules, for first party candidates.

Judge your characters upon this in our final hours.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Jesus why is it so bad to expect nothing but 3 parties from the ballot i know lots of people who would be more hyped about 3rd parties than vets or a Nintendo newcomer.Im sure most of the casual crowd would be more hyped for a character like shovel knight than someone like Isaac who is someone i genuinely want a 1000 times more than shovel knight

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I am agreeing with him.
But only in the regard that entirely third party newcomer DLC is a possibility. The actual choices are a lot more debatable.
I don't see Layton happening.
I only had a problem with the roster he gave. Three of the next six characters being 3rd parties is very hard to believe.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Jesus why is it so bad to expect nothing but 3 parties from the ballot i know lots of people who would be more hyped about 3rd parties than vets or a Nintendo newcomer.Im sure most of the casual crowd would be more hyped for a character like shovel knight than someone like Isaac who is someone i genuinely want a 1000 times more than shovel knight
Because that means that of the voting for who people want in Smash, the game which embodies bringing as much of Nintendo's history and franchies into one fanfictionly convoluted fighting game of glory with a number of big-name 3rd Party characters who have shaped gaming as a whole leads to three groupings of thought, in that scenario.

One point is that of the suggestions, that any characters from Nintendo themselves were irrelevant or so wildly unpopular into comparison of the third parties picked.

Two is that there are few 3rd Parties that people feel have had the impact on gaming as a whole that are on par of the 5 we have seen to date.

Third is that our DLC would end up being up to 4 cut veterans (who feel more like "lost" from the main game due to time) and then a grouping of 3rd Party choices with ranging importance and impact.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom