• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So is it like a Xenoblade situation where the previous games are published by Namco (Xeno Gear and Xeno Saga), but future installments are all owned by Nintendo? That's confused me for some time.

After hearing the idea, I would like to see an attempt at a Fatal Frame character in Smash. I'm pretty sure they can fit, and having a character from a horrer franchise sounds nice. There's two trophies from the franchise in the game, so who knows.
Xenogears is Square Enix.

Burruni

Smash Hero
IF we see 8 more characters from where we are now, here's how I see the listing.

Fighter Bundle #2: :wolf:, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Isaac
Fighter Bundle #3: Inklings, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, and :pichumelee: as a last little "joke" from Sakurai.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
8 characters is like the extremes of wishful thinking, but a little hope never killed nobody.

Pack 2, Newcomers Galore!: King K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Bandanna Dee
Pack 3, Haven't I seen ya before?: Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu (can you tell I'm reaching a bit?)

And Young Link can stay in Melee forever. Sorry, Young Link :troll:

Alternately, Inkling can substitute for one of the Pokemon in Pack 3 to take advantage of Splatoon hype.

If Pichu came back, but super buffed, I wouldn't even be mad. Unexpected king of rage mechanic. The new Diddy/Meta Knight. Search and destroy. Yes.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
8 more sounds like an awful lot, but hey. Why not?

Two vets, two new:
Fighter Bundle 1: K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Pichu, Wolf

Fighter Bundle 2: Isaac, Chibi Robo, Inkling, Dixie Kong

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So is it like a Xenoblade situation where the previous games are published by Namco (Xeno Saga), but future installments are all owned by Nintendo? That's confused me for some time.

After hearing the idea, I would like to see an attempt at a Fatal Frame character in Smash. I'm pretty sure they can fit, and having a character from a horrer franchise sounds nice. There's two trophies from the franchise in the game, so who knows.
Yeah...You're not the only one. I've actually been very open to the idea of a Fatal Frame character being playable for quite sometime now, so it wouldn't bother me at all. I was even silently supporting Maya for Smash 4 at one point. Of course, in terms of Nintendo horror games, I'm okay with a character form Fatal Frame, Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness, and John Raimi form Geist. Still, wondering right now just HOW a Fatal Frame character would work...BTW, the trophies form Fatal Frame in Smash 4 are Maya on the 3DS version of Smash 4, and Mio and Mayu on the Wii U version of Smash 4, am I right?

Morbi

Scavenger
8 characters is like the extremes of wishful thinking, but a little hope never killed nobody.

Pack 2, Newcomers Galore!: King K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Bandanna Dee
Pack 3, Haven't I seen ya before?: Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu (can you tell I'm reaching a bit?)

And Young Link can stay in Melee forever. Sorry, Young Link :troll:

Alternately, Inkling can substitute for one of the Pokemon in Pack 3 to take advantage of Splatoon hype.

If Pichu came back, but super buffed, I wouldn't even be mad. Unexpected king of rage mechanic. The new Diddy/Meta Knight. Search and destroy. Yes.
I prefer Young Link as the joke character because Pichu actually has some diverse game-play mechanics going for him. Not only that but Pichu =/= Pikachu. However, Link=Link. So the joke would be THAT much more hilarious. Think Dark Pit, only worse. :awesome:

But seriously, I love Young Link. :younglinkmelee:

Edit- I just realized that the other guy called it a joke... But still, I can reach for Young Link too! Freddy Krueger arms.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I prefer Young Link as the joke character because Pichu actually has some diverse game-play mechanics going for him. Not only that but Pichu =/= Pikachu. However, Link=Link. So the joke would be THAT much more hilarious. Think Dark Pit, only worse. :awesome:

But seriously, I love Young Link. :younglinkmelee:

Edit- I just realized that the other guy called it a joke... But still, I can reach for Young Link too! Freddy Krueger arms.
I know there was someone back here who was really into YL. It really changed my position on clones, actually. I thought everyone was glad to see Young Link and Dr. Mario gone, but nope. Some people really loved them. And since clones take so little effort to make (as Sakurai loves emphasizing), we don't really lose anything by keeping them. While I would like to cut the roster to prevent it being "too big," I no longer have a real problem with clones.

So yeah, bring back Young Link. Completely unchanged. Say he won the ballot, for all I care. Smashboards will be down for around two days trying to deal with the unprecedented Dead Sea levels of salt.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I preferred the Yung Link anyway. I think him with a Roy treatment would be great. It'd be cool if we got a Roy-ified clones pack with Pichu and YLink.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Young Link, Pichu and Roy were clones I loved to play as in SSBM, so if Y.Link and Pichu were to be added as DLC for Smash 4, I would buy them in a heartbeat!

Aheavypyro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5301-1225-0176
I have a question in regards to the roster.

Since the day of the new fan-voted character is getting closer, I wonder how Sakurai will fit the fighter into the roster? I can kind of see the buttons being shrinked down a little bit in the Wii U, but some what impossible for the 3DS since most, if not all, space is evenly occupied by the current roster.

Just something to think about.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a question in regards to the roster.

Since the day of the new fan-voted character is getting closer, I wonder how Sakurai will fit the fighter into the roster? I can kind of see the buttons being shrinked down a little bit in the Wii U, but some what impossible for the 3DS since most, if not all, space is evenly occupied by the current roster.

Just something to think about.
I have no idea how anything on the 3DS looks as I never downloaded any DLC on the 3DS, but on the Wii U stage list screen, you use a tab to go to a second page where the DLC stages are. Albeit, I believe that in the Mario Maker stage trailer it was indicated that all stages will soon be accessible on one page. Regardless, the 3DS version might to the inverse and add a tab to select DLC characters.

If not, I suppose they could shrink it further. It would not look pretty, but what can you do?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have no idea how anything on the 3DS looks as I never downloaded any DLC on the 3DS, but on the Wii U stage list screen, you use a tab to go to a second page where the DLC stages are. Albeit, I believe that in the Mario Maker stage trailer it was indicated that all stages will soon be accessible on one page. Regardless, the 3DS version might to the inverse and add a tab to select DLC characters.

If not, I suppose they could shrink it further. It would not look pretty, but what can you do?
There's a second tab for stages in the 3DS version, actually. So this is always possible. And unlike the Wii U version, only affects one person's screen at a time.

SiliconDynamite

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sweggle
I can't see Nintendo not having a way to deal with menu screen crowding, especially after they've had so much time to sort things out. Probably will just be something as simple as menu tabs if the screen is full on 3ds.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I can't see Nintendo not having a way to deal with menu screen crowding, especially after they've had so much time to sort things out. Probably will just be something as simple as menu tabs if the screen is full on 3ds.
They couldn't even arrange the clone and DLC characters into their respective franchises.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The character roster, by my estimation, could get up to four characters without rearrangement.

That, by chance, lines up with my 'only 2-4' DLC idea.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The character roster, by my estimation, could get up to four characters without rearrangement.

That, by chance, lines up with my 'only 2-4' DLC idea.
I'm actually seeing six honestly. Where do you get 4?

The 3DS character roster is already full and needs a second page to expand. The Wii U roster currently has two open slots, but can easily expand to an additional column, which would have four more.

No where do I see "4" characters being the max limit without rearrangement. Its more around 6, though frankly I do doubt we'll get 6.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

The 3DS character roster is already full and needs a second page to expand. The Wii U roster currently has two open slots, but can easily expand to an additional column, which would have four more.

No where do I see "4" characters being the max limit without rearrangement. Its more around 6, though frankly I do doubt we'll get 6.
I'm confused. You can see the roster getting an additional 6 reps, but you doubt we'll have that much... ?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

See this actually makes me question you guys.
Do you think the roster will be adjusted at any point or after the DLC is finished?
For Example:
:4ness::4lucas:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo:::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4feroy:::4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm:
I hope they do just keep it consistent and not have a bunch of series slumped at the bottom.
:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf::popo::snake: For Example.
Though I have to be honest I do think the clone row would stay. Because for some reason it doesn't bother me personally.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So, question for y'all: once the voting period is over in about two weeks, how long are we guessing before the DLC becomes available? Two months? Three?

Also, c'mon Fiora! She would be such a cool character.

D

Deleted member

Do you think the roster will be adjusted at any point or after the DLC is finished?
For Example:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo:::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja:
I hope they do just keep it consistent and not have a bunch of series slumped at the bottom.
Though I have to be honest I do think the clone row would stay. Because for some reason it doesn't bother me personally.
Nope. I see the DLC all being bunched together like it is already.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm confused. You can see the roster getting an additional 6 reps, but you doubt we'll have that much... ?
"The character roster, by my estimation, could get up to four characters without rearrangement."

No, I'm just saying that I don't see how the character roster can get up to only four characters without rearrangement, because its more like 2 or 6 characters. I don't see any circumstances where specifically 4 requires a rearrangement.

On the Wii U roster right now there's two open slots, then they'll need to shrink the icons once more. Now, in this circumstance, its getting a bit tighter, so if they want to add more than four more, it may require heavy rearrangements to get everything to fit, which puts the cap at about 6.

However, Pazzo. Pazzo. said that he thinks it'd be 4 that requires the rearrangment, and I just don't see where he's coming to that conclusion. If rearrangment simply means resizing the icons at all, then that'd be 2. However, if rearranging means its too tight to just shrink the icons again, then that'd be 6, an additional 4 after the next expansion on Wii U.

I don't think we'll get more than 4. However, I don't see 4 as the max cap due to size restrictions, that'd be 6 instead.

For Example:
No, I don't think they will.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think we'll get anywhere basing it on the icon size of the roster.

Though going by Brawl's CSS, it's safe to assume that one extra row can be accommodated in both versions. This caps the maximum number of possible additions to nine, going by the 3DS version which is huge enough.

:231:

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Actually it seems kind of fitting for Dark Pit and Mewtwo, as well as possibly Wolf and King K. Rool to be far from the other characters in their series.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, question for y'all: once the voting period is over in about two weeks, how long are we guessing before the DLC becomes available? Two months? Three?

Also, c'mon Fiora! She would be such a cool character.
The Fiora hype train never ends and Project X Zone 2 is just the beginning. :awesome:

Did you take a chance to stop by her support group this morning?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was merely trying to invite him to the thread. Unless you didn't see the reveal that happened yesterday. :p
Oh, I saw it.:smirk: Believe you me, what excites me more than the fact that Chrom, Lucina, AND Fiora are ALL coming to PXZ2, is the fact that PXZ2 marks the SECOND time (Unless I'm wrong, in which case, please correct me) that Nintendo, SEGA, Capcom, AND Namco-Bandai will be crossing over for a video game. The first being...Oh, come on! Do I even have to say it here?:smirk: What I hope is that we get even more Nintendo characters, so as to "balance out" with the other companies. PXZ2 IS the first time Nintendo's been involved with this game (series?), so you know.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, I saw it.:smirk: Believe you me, what excites me more than the fact that Chrom, Lucina, AND Fiora are ALL coming to PXZ2, is the fact that PXZ2 marks the SECOND time (Unless I'm wrong, in which case, please correct me) that Nintendo, SEGA, Capcom, AND Namco-Bandai will be crossing over for a video game. The first being...Oh, come on! Do I even have to say it here?:smirk: What I hope is that we get even more Nintendo characters, so as to "balance out" with the other companies. PXZ2 IS the first time Nintendo's been involved with this game (series?), so you know.
At the same time, though, I've heard that Lucina and Chrom are only "Guest" characters. I could see a few additional Nintendo characters, but still not many.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'll explode from hype if we get Captain Falcon as a solo unit or as a team with Gene (God Hand)
That'd be epic! BTW, @BakaCirno, I asked you a question on the King K. Rool thread, about your avatar. You don't have to answer it anymore if you don't want to. I checked just now, and I found out your avatar of Xiaomu is from PXZ1. Sorry about that.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
JaidynReiman JaidynReiman

I said four just from looking at the CSS and winging it.

I'm sure if you measured it, you'll get different results.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
4 is the most logical as the ballot results can be mixed into 4 categories, worldwide, japan/asia, usa/americas, europe and oceania.
That is, if the ballot was for numbers.

But it isn't. Or else we'd have Shrek and Goku as DLC.

The Jiggernaut

Smash Cadet
If we got 8 characters my picks would be:
Waddle Dee, King K Rool, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Inkling, Issac, Paper Mario, and Fiora.

I know Fiora is very unlikely but I thoroughly enjoy her character and it does help that is now being featured in Project X Zone 2 WITHOUT Shulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom