• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
you know what i mean
2:17-2:38 in my mind gives me the impression that lucas was chosen as the brawl vet and Roy the melee vet.I love wolf and i want him back but really though how many times are we gonna ear "he'll be revealed here" or "is such an easy character to make" I'm just saying that there's a strong possiblity that wolf could not return and if that's the unpopular opinion shot me for it
Ehh, he's just simply stating what games they returned from, plus there's also Mewtwo who returned from melee as well.

Megaboyzzz

Smash Rookie
:wolf:DLC=$$$$ for Nintendo, why wouldn't they want to do it? It will make money, it will make fans happy, and it can also be used as a promotion for Star Fox Zero. Sakurai said himself he hates cutting characters, for him to just turn down a popular vet just because Lucas is the brawl rep, would be flat out stupid. Its not like its hard to make Wolf, I'm sure he'd have been easier to make than Ryu.
Like i said eariler i'm not saying he can't return just that he's not as likely as everyone says i personally want wolf back and would be glad if he returned.Btw the last thing you said kinda hurts your argument.If he was harder to make than ryu why go through the trouble of making ryu in the first place and not make wolf.And imo character promotions in smash have never worked and only really happened for one character(Roy).But if you like to continue this maybe bring to pm i dont really like causing arguments and stuff

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Like i said eariler i'm not saying he can't return just that he's not as likely as everyone says i personally want wolf back and would be glad if he returned.Btw the last thing you said kinda hurts your argument.If he was harder to make than ryu why go through the trouble of making ryu in the first place and not make wolf.And imo character promotions in smash have never worked and only really happened for one character(Roy)
I'm just stating that Wolf wouldn't be hard to work on since he's a veteran. Wolf's already has a moveset, so they could just port from Brawl and then balance out his moves, while with Ryu, they had to come up all of his moves, changed it to that Wolf would be easier to make than most newcomers due to being a veteran.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm just stating that Wolf wouldn't be hard to work on since he's a veteran. Wolf's already has a moveset, so they could just port from Brawl and then balance out his moves, while with Ryu, they had to come up all of his moves, changed it to that Wolf would be easier to make than most newcomers due to being a veteran.
Actually, while Ryu was not as easy as porting over a move-set, they did not really change much from his Street Fighter incarnation. They just had to translate his iconic attacks to the Smash control scheme. I do; however, wholeheartedly agree that Wolf would be one of the easiest characters for Sakurai to develop. Even if they aesthetically redesign him.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Undertale is Amazing
Toriel for Smash

This may be just an excuse to talk about Undertale honestly

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
One of the most exciting things about the update will definitly be everyones reactions.

For all we know, we might not be getting a character, only the Mario Maker stage and maybe some more Mii costumes.
Maybe we'll get Wolf, who everyone expects. Maybe we'll get some character who came out of the blue, but is a welcome addition to the roster. Maybe we'll get a character that disappoints a fair number of people, but is beloved by a small niche group of fans.

Maybe they'll talk about the ballot, maybe they'll make us wait a few days.

Oh, the anticipation is killing me.

D

Deleted member

Part of the reason as to why i half-expect a new character is because of the timing of the announcement.
We are 1 week away from the 30th and said week looks like the perfect time to drop the big news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think we should appreciate that nothing about the next update has been leaked yet.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
you know what i mean
2:17-2:38 in my mind gives me the impression that lucas was chosen as the brawl vet and Roy the melee vet.I love wolf and i want him back but really though how many times are we gonna ear "he'll be revealed here" or "is such an easy character to make" I'm just saying that there's a strong possiblity that wolf could not return and if that's the unpopular opinion shot me for it
"There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now". There was also a Pic of the Day where Sakurai talked about how great it was having so many female characters after Zelda's reveal, which if you looked to deep into the way he spoke about it could be taken as "these are all the female characters in the game". I think you might be looking too deep into it. Also MEWTWO IS A MELEE VET!

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So wait, do people believe a character will be revealed on Sept. 30th for the new update? I mean it seems logical, but has anything video wise been announced yet that could possibly have them showing off a character?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So wait, do people believe a character will be revealed on Sept. 30th for the new update? I mean it seems logical, but has anything video wise been announced yet that could possibly have them showing off a character?
It's a given that if anything smash related is coming people are expecting a character to be revealed...so far we know we are getting the Mario Maker stage beyond that is anyone's guess...

With that said we've had a lengthy hiatus when it comes to character DLC...so we may get some sort of announcement, but at the same time they may take some time to review the results of the ballot before announcing anything major...

Personally, I'm not holding my breath for a new character just yet...but I won't be surprised if we do get an announcement for an upcoming character (the surprise may be for who the character is if it isn't Wolf however)...like I said it's been awhile since we got any character DLC...and since the Ballot is almost finished during the update it could be possible that an announcement will be made...(hoping for a surprise 3 character pack made available on the same day like what happened back in E3, but I'm not counting on it)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we do get a character on the 30th, I'm pretty sure it would be either Wolf, or someone that was being developed before they were cut such as the Ice Climbers. (I know the Ice Climbers are disconfirmed, but they are still a good example.)

EDIT: Or maybe they picked a character from the ballot with a moveset idea that they couldn't pass up.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Never posted here so hello Folks :)
My stance is we are getting two characters this next update.
One being Wolf and the other being a surprise.
Now in terms of DLC as a whole I want to think, and it would be nice to see this.
12 DLC characters.
6 pre-ballot, 6 post-ballot.
It would cover a good span o the game maybe even carrying over to the Wii U's two year anniversary.
And if we count those Fighter packs it would mean we would get three waves of fighters.
Pack/ Wave 1::4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:
Pack/ Wave 2::wolf::substitute::substitute::substitute:
Pack/ Wave 3::substitute::substitute::substitute::substitute:
I think this would be a great selection of DLC.
But the more likely option here is 8-10.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Now in terms of DLC as a whole I want to think, and it would be nice to see this.
12 DLC characters.
It would cover a good span o the game maybe even carrying over to the Wii U's two year anniversary.
And if we count those Fighter packs it would mean we would get three waves of fighters.
Dang it! Now you've got me hoping for:
Pack/Wave 1: :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:
Pack/Wave 2: :wolf::snake:King K. Rool, Isaac
Pack/Wave 3: :pichumelee::substitute::substitute:Bandana Dee

I wonder what would happen if Pichu was bundled with King K. Rool or something, but unadvertised, so the only way to get King K. Rool would be to also get Pichu as well, but you wouldn't know it. (would probably be funny)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I would buy Pichu by himself! That guy would be a rage machine in Sm4sh. His weird mechanics would make him mini Lucario who can power himself up!

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero

I wonder what would happen if Pichu was bundled with King K. Rool or something, but unadvertised, so the only way to get King K. Rool would be to also get Pichu as well, but you wouldn't know it. (would probably be funny)
K Rool......Issac......Bandana Dee......
Pichu, Snake and Wolf.....
And then two extra surprises.
11/10 Best DLC ever.
Those three highlighted just so happen to be in my top 5.
So this would be the best selection of DLC for me.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Twelve DLC characters would be so awesome, yet excessive for the Smash team, and too unlikely. Though, I wouldn't want Pichu, and I never see him returning. He's a joke character.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
12 DLC characters.
PLEASE let this happen!!!

I would LOVE Pichu to return for Smash! It would be a miracle in and of itself to see him come back. Apparently, Japan is also clamoring for his return as well. You know, do any of you think Pichu should come for free, or should he be bundled with a popular character? It would be hilarious though if he came with a more popular character, and none of us knew it.

I would buy Pichu by himself! That guy would be a rage machine in Sm4sh. His weird mechanics would make him mini Lucario who can power himself up!
Same here! I don't care if anyone were to find it odd! One, I never like a veteran being from Smash, whether or not they were bad in the previous game. Two, I adore Pichu! He's so adorable, and if the option to buy him alone was a thing, I'd do they exact same! Maybe the rage mechanic would do wonders for his competitive game as well!

K Rool......Issac......Bandana Dee......
Pichu, Snake and Wolf.....
And then two extra surprises.
11/10 Best DLC ever.
Those three highlighted just so happen to be in my top 5.
So this would be the best selection of DLC for me.
I couldn't have said it better myself.:shades:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Twelve DLC characters would be so awesome, yet excessive for the Smash team, and too unlikely. Though, I wouldn't want Pichu, and I never see him returning. He's a joke character.
And this is why if Pichu ever does come back, then it will be Roy's DLC reaction all over again.

"OH MY GOSH! WHY DID THEY PUT PICHU IN THE GAME! PICHU SUCKS!!!!!!!.......Oh wait this is actually pretty good."

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Personally, I only see ten total DLC fighters, as adding six more to our current roster completely evens out the Character Selection Screen across both the 3DS and Wii U versions. So we'd have our current DLC Fighter Bundle with four fighters, a second DLC Fighter Bundle with four fighters, and a themed bundle with two fighters. So imagine something like:
DLC Fighter Bundle 1: :4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, :4feroy:, and :4ryu:(With Suzaku Castle)
DLC Fighter Bundle 2: :snake:(With Shadow Moses Island), King K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee
Star Fox DLC Bundle: :wolf:(With Venom or Sector Z) and Krystal

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I brought this up once in the RTC thread, but I wonder what people would think of an NPC character bundle...Three characters that had pre-defined roles (Assists, Stage elements, bosses, etc.) made available as playable fighters for DLC as a bundle...don't think about whether or not it will happen because it obviously won't but what would people think if it did...of course it would depend on the characters chosen if we are asking person to person...

of course Ideally I would like to see Midna, Dark Samus, and Ridley...

More likely though if it does happen Waluigi, Takamaru, maybe Isabelle would be the three chosen...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
One of the most exciting things about the update will definitly be everyones reactions.

For all we know, we might not be getting a character, only the Mario Maker stage and maybe some more Mii costumes.
Maybe we'll get Wolf, who everyone expects. Maybe we'll get some character who came out of the blue, but is a welcome addition to the roster. Maybe we'll get a character that disappoints a fair number of people, but is beloved by a small niche group of fans.

Maybe they'll talk about the ballot, maybe they'll make us wait a few days.

Oh, the anticipation is killing me.
We'll get a second stage at least.

No, I don't believe a character will be revealed on September 30th. I believe a character will be revealed either this week, or on either the 28th-29th.

If they just announced a new stage and said "Hey, its coming out tomorrow!" Ok, I wouldn't expect much. But they announced it two weeks in advance, and we know there's at least one more unannounced stage as well. There's nothing else to release in this update, and its coming RIGHT BEFORE the ballot launches. It makes perfect sense to reveal a character picked early on for the Smash ballot in order to promote it, and these updates are always big things.

The last update had no character, but it did have Tourneys on Wii U, and that was a huge update.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Personally, I only see ten total DLC fighters, as adding six more to our current roster completely evens out the Character Selection Screen across both the 3DS and Wii U versions. So we'd have our current DLC Fighter Bundle with four fighters, a second DLC Fighter Bundle with four fighters, and a themed bundle with two fighters. So imagine something like:
DLC Fighter Bundle 1: :4mewtwo:, :4lucas:, :4feroy:, and :4ryu:(With Suzaku Castle)
DLC Fighter Bundle 2: :snake:(With Shadow Moses Island), King K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee
Star Fox DLC Bundle: :wolf:(With Venom or Sector Z) and Krystal
If we only got 10.
I would be more than happy with this. :)

12 DLC characters.
My hopes if we get 12:

Pac/Wave 2: Captain Toad K. Rool Isaac Bandana Dee
Pack/Wave 3: :wolf::snake:Black Mage Bomberman

Sadly, the recent news about Konami make Snake and Bomberman even more unlikely, and the future of their series doesn't really look good... :(

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I also support Snake for DLC. Originally, I didn't care a thing about him. Then one day, I was watching some matches from a Brawl tournament that had Snake in them. I was observing Snake's playstyle, and I fell in love with it quickly.

When it comes to camping, Snake is nearly flawless. He's better than even Villager is at it. His up smashes and down smashes are broken, that explains why he's top tier.

If Snake was in Sm4sh, I'd probably main him.

Welp...there goes that. I'm just wondering what would happen to all of their IP's now.
Best case would be if they decide to sell them to other companies, which would most likely mean that they'll continue (unless the new company is as bad as Konami).

Worst case would be if they decide to keep them anyway, which would most likely mean that they'll suffer a slow and painful death....

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Caveat:

Konami stands to gain something from having one of their IPs in Smash, not lose anything. They don't need to make new content/new games for them to milk dat royalty money. See what Capcom did with the Blue Bomber; they sure as hell aren't doing anything with him any time soon, aside from yet another re-release of his classic games in a bundle.

That's why I wouldn't throw the possibility completely out the window.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hopefully another company will pick them up.
And it better not be Microsoft. We don't need another Banjo & Kazooie situation...We don't need a character to never be able to return to Smash ever again.

Sad thing is, there is now way Nintendo would pick up the Metal Gear franchise.

They might pick up Castlevaina and Bomberman up though.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
The thing I just find weird about the Konami debacle is that there's 3 things (More like two official things) that say other wise. Just a couple of months ago, Konami said they weren't leaving the console market. Then, just a month ago, there was a poll Konami held that asked what franchises they should put priority into. Then, there's this statement coming from a Konami customer support employee (recent as well. However, I'm not sure how much stock you would put into a Q&A guy that might have no idea what goes on behind the scenes).

It's all just very weird. I have belief that its true, but I have my doubts. None of the less, I'm more concerned about the future of IPs from Konami than I am about them being in Smash.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
And it better not be Microsoft. We don't need another Banjo & Kazooie situation...We don't need a character to never be able to return to Smash ever again.

Sad thing is, there is now way Nintendo would pick up the Metal Gear franchise.

They might pick up Castlevaina and Bomberman up though.
Nintendo published Devil's Third... And owns Fatal Frame. :/

Those are both pretty mature.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
The thing I just find weird about the Konami debacle is that there's 3 things (More like two official things) that say other wise. Just a couple of months ago, Konami said they weren't leaving the console market. Then, just a month ago, there was a poll Konami held that asked what franchises they should put priority into. Then, there's this statement coming from a Konami customer support employee (recent as well. However, I'm not sure how much stock you would put into a Q&A guy that might have no idea what goes on behind the scenes).

It's all just very weird. I have belief that its true, but I have my doubts. None of the less, I'm more concerned about the future of IPs from Konami than I am about them being in Smash.
I'm not sure all of these reports are necessarily in conflict. Konami seems to be exiting the AAA sphere (outside of PES) but that doesn't mean they're not going to continue to use their properties - I'd imagine they'd have no problem bringing out the corpse of Metal Gear for some cash-ins with reduced scope as long as it remained profitable for them - and are certainly going to continue on the mobile games front. I honestly suspect the franchises poll was more for assessing the worth of them so they have a better idea of how much they should cost to rent out - or even outright sell - to outside developers.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Yeah, I'm not quite buying the whole "Konami is outta the console market" thing either. It sounds like it's more a paradigm shift and less like a complete abstention. For example, there is evidence of Metal Gear Solid beyond TPP and the latest iteration of MGO, in which they were recruiting staff for future games in the franchise. Some random article I stumbled across mentioned it. Things can change, though. They may have scrapped the notion between then and now, but I doubt it. EASY MONAYYYY, as a certain Ganon player puts it.

'Course, I'm not gonna touch another Metal Gear game if Kojima's not involved...but that's another matter. I'd swallow my pride and pony up the dough if he's in Smash, however!

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo published Devil's Third... And owns Fatal Frame. :/

Those are both pretty mature.
No they don't. Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame IV, the Spirit Camera spin-off, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, Fatal Frame V and all future installments of the series.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
No they don't. Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame IV, the Spirit Camera spin-off, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, Fatal Frame V and all future installments of the series.
So is it like a Xenoblade situation where the previous games are published by Namco (Xeno Saga), but future installments are all owned by Nintendo? That's confused me for some time.

After hearing the idea, I would like to see an attempt at a Fatal Frame character in Smash. I'm pretty sure they can fit, and having a character from a horrer franchise sounds nice. There's two trophies from the franchise in the game, so who knows.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom