• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
OK, so here's a new topic, if we can get 4 DLC characters, 2 popular, 2 surprise, who would they be?
Here's my picks,

Popular: Wolf and Krool

Unpopular: Chibi-Robo and Sami
I have the suspicious that there's three characters left (Though I'd like it to be four just so we have an even 60 characters. But this is what I'd answer personally

Popular: Wolf and K. Rool
Surprise: Tails and Toad/Captain Toad

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
Popular: K Rool and Wolf

Surprise: Bomberman and Waluigi

I think 2--3 are left though

Burruni

Smash Hero
YO.
NIKKI GETTING HER OWN GAME IS INCREDIBLY HEART WARMING!
I genuinely enjoyed what we got to see of her character in the short true lifespan of Swapnote before Nintendo tried to bury it under the rug after the whole explicit image fiasco.
She's going on my 5mash wish list now.

D

Deleted member

OK, so here's a new topic, if we can get 4 DLC characters, 2 popular, 2 surprise, who would they be?
Here's my picks,

Popular: K. Rool and Isaac

Unpopular: Simon Belmont (him and Bomberman are overshadowed by the veteran Snake, at least) and Zael

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Actually, I'm changing mine:

Popular: Bandana Dee and King K. Rool
Unpopular: Lark (Pilot Wings) and Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) (replacing Dixie Kong)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I personally find it ridiculous for people to just expect only popular characters at this point. Sure, there will definitely be some big requests that Sakurai will answer from the ballot and I'm not denying that, but Sakurai will always pull out a surprise or two to keep speculation exciting and not straight-forward and might do so through the pre-ballot characters he's developing. He has stated once that he doesn't just like adding just requested characters in the roster as that idea does not excite him at all. and some of the inclusions in Smash show his skills in roster variety. It goes against Sakurai's philosophy of choosing newcomers in the game.

To go from newcomer variety to just popular characters seems like the complete opposite Sakurai would do. I cannot comprehend that kind of philosophy from Sakurai, it's very hard to imagine even in the case of DLC.
First of all, Ryu proves variety will happen regardless, second, we've been over this, DLC needs to sell. Finally 'From now on it'll be fan service characters'

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
5mash NX will release "early" after the launch of the new system and incorporate more of these ballot/new characters and bring all the stages and characters back from BOTH versions of Sm4sh (With working Popos and Nanas), which makes sense if you think about what the NX is. Also this will give us our "complete" version of the game incorporating the prior DLC until the start of the DLC cycle for the next game.

Would get a stronger release title for the NX, keep Sakurai on longer, and development/implementation are able to reuse overlapping resources saving time and money.
Considering how fast would it be for ANOTHER Smash to come, I'm not sure.

But if it does, would it be closer to Melee-physics considering how that one took less time in development with the potential of 5mash NX taking as such this time? :troll:

(I'd laugh if it did...)

Anyway, on about what characters COULD be chosen on the ballot...

Popular: K. Rool and Wolf.
Unpopular: Shovel Knight and Pichu.

(I'm half-serious about it...) :p

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Popular: K.Rool and Wolf, I want to say Bandana Dee so badly since I want him way more than the other two but it would be asinine to not at least give Wolf and K. Rool to their fans.

Unpopular: Dark Matter (Actual Dark Horse that stands a chance) and Clefairy (Not a Dark Horse but it's somewhat related to:4pikachu:and :4jigglypuff: via :172::173::174: so in the slight chance Sakurai goes insane, he could pull some stupid excuse and do it).

Really hope they just go for 4 popular characters though, it honestly will come off as mean to host a ballot then end up picking some unpopular candidates.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Popular - Wolf & Snake
Not as Popular - Dixie & TBD

Suprise Bonus - Ditto replaces random select to make it a "character" - can toggle change between matches or after a stock. Unique intro (transform) & victory screens.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here's my picks,

Popular: Wolf and Inkling.
Unpopular: Excitebike and Sami.

Excitebike and Inkling are both pretty likely to happen eventually (I hope!)
Sami is da bes so of course I'll choose her.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I personally find it ridiculous for people to just expect only popular characters at this point. Sure, there will definitely be some big requests that Sakurai will answer from the ballot and I'm not denying that, but Sakurai will always pull out a surprise or two to keep speculation exciting and not straight-forward and might do so through the pre-ballot characters he's developing. He has stated once that he doesn't just like adding just requested characters in the roster as that idea does not excite him at all. and some of the inclusions in Smash show his skills in roster variety. It goes against Sakurai's philosophy of choosing newcomers in the game.

To go from newcomer variety to just popular characters seems like the complete opposite Sakurai would do. I cannot comprehend that kind of philosophy from Sakurai, it's very hard to imagine even in the case of DLC.
It's a ballot. Adding a non-popular character goes against the definition of a ballot.

If we're not being lied to, I'd expect popular characters.

:231:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Technically, not so popular characters like Dixie, Shovel Knight and ChibiRobo would be fair game, but if they aren't huge crowd pleasers like Wolf or K. Rool and they aren't the weirdass characters that the supposed Willy Wonka personality of Sakurai likes, then what's the point?

D

Deleted member

If we are gonna get at least 1 more pre-ballot character, im expecting Wolf.

And that's assuming the last 2 marios are pre-ballot, which is something we don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
"It's going to be fan-service from now on." doesn't sound vague to me.

If by Fan Service you mean giving us mii costumes, then you might be onto something! XD

Having a mii based on you in real life dressed like your most wanted smash character is like the ultimate fan service! It allows us to be that character1!!!1!

In all seriousness, Sakurai cares about the fans so he is going to try and please everyone atleast in some manner - K.Rool was given some sort of fan service through a mii costume.

Just really worries me about the ballot because it seems like everyone just assumed who got the most votes would be in the game - when nothing of the sort was said.

---------

Also mayhaps Stage 4 was a StarFox level but was removed for now due to the SF0 delay. Then they can release Wolf and said level closer to that date and bide more time bn DLC updates if we end up getting ballot characters at all.

Popular: King K. Rool and Bandana Dee (sorry Wolf)
Unpopular: Black Mage and Captain Toad. If they don't count as unpopular, Gengar and Bomberman. If Bomberman doesn't count either, then Magolor.

Last edited:

warpanda54

Smash Rookie
Ray-man, Spyro the Dragon, Ukka-Lelle, Banjo-Kazooie, Hell even another sonic rep would be great

warpanda54

Smash Rookie
Popular: King K. Rool and Bandana Dee (sorry Wolf)
Unpopular: Black Mage and Captain Toad. If they don't count as unpopular, Gengar and Bomberman. If Bomberman doesn't count either, then Magolor.
Those Are all great choices

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm gonna throw this out there.
When we have the character bundle on the shop of :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:, I feel like saying we'll only get 1 or 2 really... unlikely. I say that getting :wolf:, K. Rool, and then 2 of other ballot forerunners (like Isaac and BanD) which ends in Character Bundle #2 and assuredly some kind of "Complete Character Pack" is reasonable.

Also something out of the balance of 4 veterans and 4 newcomers.

That or arguing 5 pre-ballot (ending with Wolf) and 5 post-ballot (adding two choices like Inkling and Dixie).

Sonicjamareiz

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna throw this out there.
When we have the character bundle on the shop of :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:, I feel like saying we'll only get 1 or 2 really... unlikely. I say that getting :wolf:, K. Rool, and then 2 of other ballot forerunners (like Isaac and BanD) which ends in Character Bundle #2 and assuredly some kind of "Complete Character Pack" is reasonable.

Also something out of the balance of 4 veterans and 4 newcomers.

That or arguing 5 pre-ballot (ending with Wolf) and 5 post-ballot (adding two choices like Inkling and Dixie).
"several fan service characters"

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
"several fan service characters"
The two that fit that bill best from a gameplay, series and fan perspective are King K. Rool and Inkling. If we have any other "surprise" characters it will likely be another third party of some kind.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If the ballot is only doing newcommers

Popular is K rool, and Bandana dee

(Isaac does not have heavy votes in japan, bandana dee does)

Change bandana dee to wolf if veterans count toward it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Weren't Roy, Ryu and Lucas the last pre-ballot characters?

Possibly but for all we know there were others that were planned in advance and Nintendo just wanted confirmation of their popularity before continuing development on them. I kind of get the feeling that this would apply to characters like Wolf and Isaac because they haven't had new major installments in years and they wanted to see if people still wanted them.

Add in: I still think we're getting four more people altogether with two coming out for the next DLC bomb and two for a Holiday cash grab in November/December.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Popular would be Wolf and K. Rool, unpopular would be Pichu and "Rhythm Heaven Rep."

Based on observation, it's like a game of whack-a-mole with the people who claim "Sakurai loves surprises and doesn't like popular characters." Whether it's a statement from Sakurai ("fanservice from here on out"), or the ballot itself, or a requested veteran/newcomer getting released, something always comes up to bop down those people, but after a short time, they pop back up and keep repeating the same points as if nothing ever happened. Much like the moles, it's robotic behavior.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Popular: K.Rool and Isaac (Wolf if veterans count)
Unpopular: Balloon Fighter and Simon Belmont if he is considered unpopular.

Is there any character out that there that is considered unlikely yet it's still popular? most characters i've seen are either popular and expected at the same time or unpopular and unexpected. But i have never seen a fusion of Popular and unexpected or viceversa recently.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Is there any character out that there that is considered unlikely yet it's still popular? most characters i've seen are either popular and expected at the same time or unpopular and unexpected. But i have never seen a fusion of Popular and unexpected or viceversa recently.
I think Ryu counts

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Snake and Ice Climbers.
Maybe Impa, Wonder Red or Krystal.

EDIT: Also Bomberman, Banjo and Shantae.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

Ridley

Burruni

Smash Hero
Y'know.
I don't think I ever shared how I thought the Mii moveset would work before the Mii Fighters were announced.
I might as well share that.

My idea was that the default was Reggie, but you could load your own Mii into it which determined speed, weight & power. It'd just be the simple Mii outfit, obviously.

But for the moveset, it was namely either taken from Mii-staring games or jokes on Nintendo hardware.

Mii would like to play!
Entrance Animation: Falls out of the top screen of a giant 3DS
Jab Combo: :4pit:'s using the foam "twinblade" (Wii Sports Resort)
Dash Attack:

U-tilt: Boxing uppercut (Wii Sports)
F-Tilt: Quick swing of a Mii hero sword (Find Mii)
D-Tilt: A Wii Balance Board appears at the Mii's feet (functions like :4villager:'s plucking)

U-Smash: Shoots a few targets overhead with the Zapper (actually... became :4duckhunt:'s)
F-Smash: Power Glove Charge Punch
D-Smash: Spins around, swinging the Gamecube by the handle close to the ground.

U-Air: Pulls out a trumpet and plays a sharp note, hits like :4rob:'s b-air/d-air (Wii Music)
F-Air: Does a quick shot with a Super Scope, hits like :4villager:'s slingshot
N-Air: Does a spin in the air on a surfboard (Wii Sports Resort)
B-Air: Swings out a heavy backpack (Puzzle Swap)
D-Air: Swings a Gameboy down like a nunchuck by its Link Cable.

Special: Virtual Boy - The Mii would put a Virtual Boy to their face, charging for the duration that B is held before having a small explosion and erupting a spread beam of rays which does minor damage and stuns, scaled to the charge. (Based on Kirby's Copy Ability in Super Star)

Side Special: Wiimote & Nunchuck - The Mii stumbles while flicking out their wrist, flinging out a Wiimote and Nunchuck, thin but fairly strong projectile.

Down Special: WiiU - The Mii begins scribbling on the gamepad, causing a shadow to appear, manipulated with the control stick and growing in size as the button is held before dropping down an item to fall from the sky. There are a few items that appear for each "size class" of projectile. Hard to judge aim for use offstage. (Based on Peacock's special Shadow of Impending Doom in Skullgirls).

Up Special: N64 Propeller Pack - For a few seconds, the Mii has controlled flight akin to :pit:'s recovery, but stoppable by hitting the device akin to :4diddy:'s jetpack. At the end, the Mii reels back with a cartoony expanded and flaming hand, plummetting helplessly (based on the Pilotwing's Helipack).

Final Smash: The Old Trick - The Mii pulls out an NES cartridge before blowing into it, causing an inhalant horizontal tornado from the Mii with dust clouds that fly around in it across the duration before flinging all captured targets diagonally upwards from the Mii. (Variant on the screen-crossing danger zones of :4mario:/:4wiifitm:/:4samus:'s final smashes).

Opinions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom