• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I am sticking with my long standing theory of 8 DLC characters. Joining on the fun....
Popular: Wolf, Waddle Dee & King K Rool
Surprise: Bayonetta

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Assuming we know what Sakurai is thinking is like trying to guess the weather. (An analogy I've used before)

You may be right, because the last few weeks have been warm, but it could rain and we'd never see it coming.

That's probably the stupidest thing I could have come up with, but there it is.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna throw this out there.
When we have the character bundle on the shop of :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:, I feel like saying we'll only get 1 or 2 really... unlikely. I say that getting :wolf:, K. Rool, and then 2 of other ballot forerunners (like Isaac and BanD) which ends in Character Bundle #2 and assuredly some kind of "Complete Character Pack" is reasonable.

Also something out of the balance of 4 veterans and 4 newcomers.

That or arguing 5 pre-ballot (ending with Wolf) and 5 post-ballot (adding two choices like Inkling and Dixie).
Wasn't the "character pack 1" thing just an English thing and it was different in Japan? I think @JaidynReiman posted about this in this thread.

D

Deleted member

Wasn't the "character pack 1" thing just an English thing and it was different in Japan? I think @JaidynReiman posted about this in this thread.
@PushDustIn was the one that pointed it out. He mentioned that the fighter packs are different in Japan. (apparently the Fighter Pack 1 in Japan only has Mewtwo)

Last edited by a moderator:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
@PushDustIn was the one that pointed it out. He mentioned that the fighter packs are different in Japan. (apparently the Fighter Pack 1 in Japan only has Mewtwo)
Additionally, just because Fighter Pack 1 has 4 doesn't mean pack 2 has to have 4. It could easily have 3 or 2... or 5. You can't count on them being symmetrical. All we know is at least two new characters (because several, even in Japanese, means "more than one"). Anything else is trying to read the future from tea leaves. Only less accurate.

(sorry I accidentally tagged the wrong person, oops)

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
TBH I only expect 4 more characters because I always thought since the start of Ballot there will be 8 since it fits the 8-player smash thing. The reason means nothing I know, but I struggle to see more than 5 coming, and less than 2 more.

I wonder which of the 5 I support will come...

Last edited:

Megaboyzzz

Smash Rookie
i really want to know your guys reaction if wolf,k rool, or bandanna dee doesn't get in.Like they either get a mii costume or dont even make it to that point.I personally wouldn't mind but what our your guys reaction

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
i really want to know your guys reaction if wolf,k rool, or bandanna dee doesn't get in.Like they either get a mii costume or dont even make it to that point.I personally wouldn't mind but what our your guys reaction
Wolf: I'd be surprised, and I'd imagine his fans would be devastated. But I wouldn't be mad.

K. Rool: He and Inkling are the only newcomers I really care about at all, and he has every reason to be in, so I'd be flabbergasted.

Bandanna Dee: I had no idea this character even existed before coming to this forum.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Somehow, being away from this site for 10 days felt like 10 months.

At least theirs been a lot of good news since I was last here. The Super Mario Maker stage being announced and official confirmation that Nintendo Directs will continue was great news for me. Especially the later since I was really worried that future Directs would be axed because of Iwata.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Popular: K.Rool and Isaac (Wolf if veterans count)
Unpopular: Balloon Fighter and Simon Belmont if he is considered unpopular.

Is there any character out that there that is considered unlikely yet it's still popular? most characters i've seen are either popular and expected at the same time or unpopular and unexpected. But i have never seen a fusion of Popular and unexpected or viceversa recently.
Like Ryuga and many people have said, Ryu is a good example of that as he WAS wanted prior to his inclusion but wasn't considered as 'shoe-in' material like others. Other examples
of characters like that could be Any Belmont from Castlevania, Bomberman, and/or Rayman. (Hopefully I don't make someone angry as I wouldn't mind seeing any of them in the game but IMO, don't rank up as high as the characters I DO want to see.

*Frowns*

As of right now, he is in a position where you could say he is popular AND unpopular if its followers are of an example. I mean, I WANT to see him playable; I REALLY do, but the people 'surrounding him' surely go back and forth in numbers.

And about people who say that Sakurai WOULDN'T go for fanservice-characters/popular choices and instead goes for his 'Flavor of the Month'' kind of deal, let me remind you that at one point, those same people had to endure the decomfirmation as much as the rest of us, so of course they'll be, certainly, 'scarred' in a way because of the way Sakurai is doing in things.

Not that he ACTIVELY does it to spite people, but yeah. :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Wolf: I'd be surprised, and I'd imagine his fans would be devastated. But I wouldn't be mad.

K. Rool: He and Inkling are the only newcomers I really care about at all, and he has every reason to be in, so I'd be flabbergasted.

Bandanna Dee: I had no idea this character even existed before coming to this forum.
I was already devastated once, so if Wolf does not make it in, I will be used to his absence as I have been playing this game for close to a year without him. That is not to say that other Wolf supporters would feel the same, I am just providing some insight and perhaps a perspective that is not often spoken/written.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wolf NOT returning at this point... would honestly kinda surprise me.

IF we didn't get :4lucas:, I would be less confident in his return. But because Lucas and Wolf, conditionally, were/are so similar... it just makes sense for Wolf to be a stepping stone on the line.

Quasi-Clones from series with one specific region being the significant majority of the fanbase, whose special moves were divied up as specials for the others in their series and ended up being cut from Smash 4.

Wolf being one of the later additions for Brawl is one of few differences I could cite, because in some extent weren't both considered for Melee? (Lucas dropped because Earthbound 64 didn't happen for him to replace Ness, and Falco took Wolf's spot because Sakurai thought Wolf and Fox would be too simlar in looks at the time?)

With Sakurai's stance on "fanservice" being a focus and Wolf being a popular cut veteran... and basically the ONE that has both popularity AND viability to return.... it just makes sense to me.

WE'LL SEE, BUT I'M JUST STATING MY LOGIC.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Wolf NOT returning at this point... would honestly kinda surprise me.

IF we didn't get :4lucas:, I would be less confident in his return. But because Lucas and Wolf, conditionally, were/are so similar... it just makes sense for Wolf to be a stepping stone on the line.

Quasi-Clones from series with one specific region being the significant majority of the fanbase, whose special moves were divied up as specials for the others in their series and ended up being cut from Smash 4.

Wolf being one of the later additions for Brawl is one of few differences I could cite, because in some extent weren't both considered for Melee? (Lucas dropped because Earthbound 64 didn't happen for him to replace Ness, and Falco took Wolf's spot because Sakurai thought Wolf and Fox would be too simlar in looks at the time?)

With Sakurai's stance on "fanservice" being a focus and Wolf being a popular cut veteran... and basically the ONE that has both popularity AND viability to return.... it just makes sense to me.

WE'LL SEE, BUT I'M JUST STATING MY LOGIC.
There's also the fact that Sakurai doesn't like cutting characters, at this point Wolf should be easy enough to bring back and it just wouldn't make sense not to.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So I've been playing Cave Story recently..

Is Quote out of the question for becoming a playable character?
No, considering that, compared to fellow indie characters Shantae and Shovel Knight, he's at least somewhat popular both in the West as well as Japan since his game has been released worldwide.

I'd love Quote in Smash, but even with that advantage I'd have to say he doesn't have a very high chance. Pity, but what are you gonna do~

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I wish he felt more strongly about that sentiment in regard to Ice Climbers.
Unfortunately it's not "easy" to bring them back. The 3DS issues seemed serious. He'd have to exclude the 3DS, and he seemed adamant on keeping the rosters the same. Most 3DS-only owners aren't willing to say "well, since it's impossible to make them work on our console, it's alright for them to be Wii U exclusives." More like "if it can't happen on our console, it shouldn't happen anywhere because that's not fair."

If the IC made a surprise return, I'd be the first to download them. But a lot of us have faced the music. It's easier than pretending it has a good shot and getting disappointed when DLC comes. Besides, they're likely to return next game. They have working Wii U assets, after all.

I would very, very deesappointed if none of them makes it: Those are my Top 3 most wanted....

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Oh man. The Ice Climbers...

I'm not sure if they'll return or be in the run of SM4SH but I'd love to be proven wrong. But I'd like to think that by 5mash in NX, they'll be back. The console at least SEEMS like it'd have
more power than the Wii-U so I guess that's a thing to consider, right?

And besides, Sakurai said that he WANTS to add as much characters as he CAN so, maybe that says that we'll get MANY ones?

Is possible, just something to have in mind, guys. ;)

Burruni

Smash Hero
So I've been playing Cave Story recently..

Is Quote out of the question for becoming a playable character?
THAT is a person-by-person argument.

Here is the short for Quote as an indie

+Worldwide Release
+Game that was one of the first that made Indies something to truly observe as a "form"

-Only one game that's been remade twice, no clear signs of anything else coming.
-Low popularity for poll

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wish he felt more strongly about that sentiment in regard to Ice Climbers.
I think he does, it does, but he got discouraged when nothing he tried worked.

Oh man. The Ice Climbers...

I'm not sure if they'll return or be in the run of SM4SH but I'd love to be proven wrong. But I'd like to think that by 5mash in NX, they'll be back. The console at least SEEMS like it'd have
more power than the Wii-U so I guess that's a thing to consider, right?

And besides, Sakurai said that he WANTS to add as much characters as he CAN so, maybe that says that we'll get MANY ones?

Is possible, just something to have in mind, guys. ;)
Honestly, the fact that the NX could be coming out very soon makes me think that t next smash game will be looped with ssb4. Meaning we would only get a new mode and some new features.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think he does, it does, but he got discouraged when nothing he tried worked.

Honestly, the fact that the NX could be coming out very soon makes me think that t next smash game will be looped with ssb4. Meaning we would only get a new mode and some new features.
I don't see them... doing some kind of "Ultimate Smash edition," I see a Smash 5 by the end of it's life cycle more likely, personally.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Soccer Guy doesn't really troll anyone; he just does something that nobody even expects to happen, like making K. Rool a costume or Chrom Robin's Final Smash.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If Wolf returns, and I hope he does, I will consider maining him. He looks so fun to play as and Smash4 is my only smash game so I haven't used cut characters before.

He simply looks like my style, especially since he isn't super fast like Fox/Falco.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Wolf returns, and I hope he does, I will consider maining him. He looks so fun to play as and Smash4 is my only smash game so I haven't used cut characters before.

He simply looks like my style, especially since he isn't super fast like Fox/Falco.
The prime reason why all of the cut veterans should return at some point. (I want 2 of them later rather than sooner however, so some of them can use in game switching for maximum uniqueness.)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It wouldn't bother me since I'm not supporting them. I'd be kind of sad for the King K Rool supporters though, since they've grown on me over the past year or so.

I've started to really like the idea of Isaac and King K Rool meeting on the battlefield.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, I wish I could be optimistic and expect more than 2 more. The two remaining data slots are what makes me think we're getting two. However, like I said, they could add more.

At least for the time being, it's reasonable to expect TWO. Any more than that, without any more evidence, is optimism at it's finest. Which is fine. That's good to be optimistic.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I thought for a while we were getting Shantae, but now I think if we do get a 3rd Party, that Prof. Layton very well may have the best shot.

But at this point I only have any confidence at Wolf. Out of B3, I still think King K has the best shot, but I'm not that sure on him any more.

That would bum me out though if we get two characters and they end up being the likes of Inkling and Isaac or Waddle Dee.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Like Jones said, four is pushing it.

I expect at least two. Any more would be extra and unexpected.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Personally, I don't want Wolf back. I never used him in Brawl and I just don't care about him enough anymore. If someone were to have asked me five months ago, my answer would probably be different.

Still, I do think he has a good shot and I think he should definitely return.

D

Deleted member

In all honesty i just want to see another goddamn DLC character already. The wait is killing me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
In all honesty i just want to see another goddamn DLC character already. The wait is killing me.
I'll happen.

Patience... We had to wait three years for SSB4. A few weeks is nothing in comparison.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My thought process is that Wolf is definitely coming back and that they'll add more than one newcomer from the ballot, especially if some business deal led them to add Shovel Knight. Therefore, we get two-three newcomers and Wolf.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It must not be Fiora and Chrom's lucky day. Both characters are now confirmed for another crossover (Project X Zone 2) and they are in too deep of a pit to really do well in the ballot. The former having little notability until now (which is more or less too late since the ballot is closing soon) and the latter due to being deconfirmed twice in the most humiliating way possible.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
See, I wish I could be optimistic and expect more than 2 more. The two remaining data slots are what makes me think we're getting two. However, like I said, they could add more.

At least for the time being, it's reasonable to expect TWO. Any more than that, without any more evidence, is optimism at it's finest. Which is fine. That's good to be optimistic.
Sakurai himself said "there’s only going to be several more characters". If that's not a mistranslation then prospects of us getting more than 2 characters seem good. And at the bottom of the smash dlc page it says "Fighter Bundle #1". What will "Fighter Bundle #2" consist of? The statement "The first two waves of downloadable fighters" indicates there will be at least one more wave. I'll go out on a limb and speculate that we'll get about 3 or 4 more characters and then that will be it. But to be on the safe side it is probably better to expect only two.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I've continually been surprised by the amount of DLC we're getting so I've given up trying to forecast how many are left.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Call me optimistic, but I am still expecting 4. Preferbly 3 newcomers tho, to make it 4 vets and 4 newcomers in total if including the previous DLC.

Morbi

Scavenger

I do not understand the difference, why is it reasonable to expect 2 but optimistic to expect 4? The latter is certainly MORE optimistic, but how is it any less reasonable? Does it have to do with those aforementioned data slots, can you please explain that to me? I have no idea what that is alluding to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom