• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
So we can all agree that the DLC character is either Inklings, K. Rool, Dixie or Isaac

So, what's everyone's new reasoning for the drought of news?

I've got a new favorite.

. . . I'm going to pretend I don't know the source of this image. I'm not even 100% i know what this is. But I don't want to know if i'm right.
So we can all agree that the DLC character is either Inklings, K. Rool, Dixie or Isaac
If we are talking about the character that was hinted through tweets then no we can't.

K rool seems like a character that would win the ballot. Isaac is not a character that would "get in eventually." (unfortunately)

If we're talking next character in general assuming the tweets are crap then remove Isaac and maybe we can agree.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Not that it matters, but my top 5 are:

5. Dixie Kong
4. Isaac
3. Inkling
2. Bomberman
1. Shantae

I'm a simple man with simple desires. I'm already pleased with the roster as is, so if any of these end up making it is just the cherry on top for me at this point.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
My reasoning? They are just preparing for a long time because they want the Directs to be 'rebooted' with a bang.

Either that or Nintendo is a slowpoke.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Favorite third parties? I might as well say so while my love is napping after a long interview.

1. Banjo Kazooie
2. Bass
3. Kasumi/Ayane
4. Jibanyan (A real fuzzy cutie)
5. Asuka/Katsuragi (If only Sakurai and co. didn't avoid the T rated route again)

So, what's everyone's new reasoning for the drought of news?

I've got a new favorite.

While everyone is treating this like "the elephant in the room", I'll just say that Suu is the cutest character in the story. Even though it's.... um "fanservicy".

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The thing that bugs me about Ashley is that while she's a fan favorite she wasn't introduced into the Warioware series until the 4th installment, same goes for Isabelle with Animal Crossing. They're both fan favorites, but Jimmy T. and Tom Nook are more important to their series in general, so who do you go for, the more important/prominent character, or the popular choice?
Because Ashley and Isabelle are sooo "kawai" and that's the most important thing in Japan.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Because Ashley and Isabelle are sooo "kawai" and that's the most important thing in Japan.
As someone who does hunt for Japanese products like figures and such, it is mostly true. They love their fair share of adorable or moe characters in the market and will do anything to buy things that involve them.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I don't even have a Top 5 for 3rd Party characters. Snake and Knuckles are the only 3rd Party characters that I'd say "Oh, cool!" if they got in, with Knuckles only because Capcom has two representatives. I wouldn't complain if Banjo & Kazooie, Bomberman, or Simon Belmont got in, but I don't care for them. Besides, I don't even necessarily want another 3rd Party character. Four is enough for me, but five is my limit.

When it comes to my view on 3rd Parties, I think that there should be a maximum of four to five franchises, with only one representative each. Smash 4's roster already feels tainted in my opinion, but eh, whatever.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think we can all agree that the 2-repped Starfox, DK and Metroid franchises need a new character in Smash.

But if only one could be added as DLC, which series would you like to get the upgrade & why?
DONKEY KONG

*cracks knuckles* Alright plebs, here comes the word vomit.

Second oldest franchise
Oldest continuing franchise
Fourth/Fifth highest selling franchise
Put Nintendo on the map... TWICE with the Arcade and Country series. Three times if you count Returns separately
Is ingrained in video game pop culture (Let's get it on like Donkey Kong)
Almost 30 games under his belt which spanned several subseries (Arcade, Country, Land, Konga, King of Swing, Mario vs)
TWO/THREE CARTOONS (The infamous French one with the bad singing and his segments from Saturday Supercade. And if you count Donkey Kong Jr's segments separately, it's three. lol)
Had at least one game on every console except the Virtual Boy (and even then, a DKC virtual boy game was in the works)
Several characters from the support cast to choose from
Popular in both East and West

DK's blatant disrespect in Smash is one of my biggest issues I have with Smash in general. With all I said, the DK franchise is a juggernaut franchise that SHOULD be up there in acknowledgement along the ranks of Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. But as far as Smash goes, its perception is the reality.

We have people thinking that Donkey Kong is a B minus tier franchise instead of A-tier. That DK and Diddy are nothing more than Mario characters. That people were upset that Retro should have worked on Metroid Prime instead of Tropical Freeze. Despite Donkey Kong games usually outselling Metroid games. And people failing to see the hypocrisy about calling Tropical Freeze more of the same while begging them to work on Metroid Prime 4

On the other side, thanks to Smash, people over-inflate Fire Emblem's relevance. Fire Emblem fans don't give a **** about Marth or Roy. If Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus somehow deserves two more characters because Awakening and Uprising saved them, then DK honestly deserved four more because Returns not only sold better than both of them but DK was never in danger of being cancelled (also playable Rambi would have been neat) And while sales shouldn't be the only factor (are there even any other viable Wii character besides WFT) it is honestly laughable that DK got screwed over in so many way in Smash 4 despite being a pop culture icon long before Pikachu.

So yeah after all I said, DK deserves a new character, at least. And stages that aren't jungles or the worst level in Donkey Kong Arcade, but that's another story

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Top 5 Third-parties:
1.Simon Belmont (bias? what is that? is it something that you eat? :teeth:)
2.Bomberman
3.Snake
4.Black Mage
5.Rayman

In case Snake doesn't count, then put the Black Mage as number 3, Rayman at Number 4 and Ryu Hayabusa as Number 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
'The more it moves away' as in, it started before Sm4sh but now it's getting worse
You keep saying these characters are gimmicky and marketing, but you never say how so.
What a god forsaken piece of journalism:

As a communications major, I beg none of you ever post something like this.

Source: http://www.crossmap.com/news/super-smash-bros-4-will-shovel-knight-be-the-new-character-21703
What many people forget is that Shovel Knight is still a smaller indie title. Shovel Knight only sold 700K between 4 systems and Steam. Compare that to Splatoon which sold about 1.60 million. Shovel Knight also hasn't been released in Japan which makes up about 30-40 percent of sales of Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. What folks forget is Shovel Knight is not a profitable character when compared to so many others. Heck, take Bandana Dee. He may seem like a niche character, but Kirby Return to Dreamland sold 1.31 million as of March 31, 2012. So more people would know Bandana Dee over Shovel Knight.

The only difference is Shovel Knight fans are FAR more vocal than fans of other characters. My experience with these characters is they don't get in because they do not appeal to a while audience. Its worse for DLC because the specific character has to sell on its own. Shovel Knight is a risky play because only 700K copies were sold, and this figure includes sales on non-Nintendo systems.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Welp.
Off to work again.
Will we hear of a direct announcement for tomorrow while I'm gone?
Ha ha ha doubt it.
I'll likely be bored and infect this page with more japanese stuff like Jo-Jo, Touhou, Monster Musume, Donbe & Hikari, or Danganronpa when I'm back.
LATES

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I think we can all agree that the 2-repped Starfox, DK and Metroid franchises need a new character in Smash.

But if only one could be added as DLC, which series would you like to get the upgrade & why?
Donkey Kong, because of Rool. That, and it being one of Nintendo's most popular series.

What people need to realize is that "reps" isn't something that fans make up, and how much of a factor it actually is. It has been this in every game in the series so far, and very obvious in all of them. Let me refer to this Source Gaming article, mentioning things Sakurai has actually said and did: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/04/13/the-definitive-unused-fighters-list-in-smash/#[Melee]

"Wario was planned for Melee. Sakurai has mentioned that he was concerned with overrepresentation of certain series, so some characters that were planned got dropped."

"At GDC 2008, Sakurai stated that a lot of characters were originally planned, but also many were scrapped so that they could focus on, ‘balancing series representation and making each character unique’."

While the Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus is more recent, Lucina and Dark Pit were added to expand the roster, while Roy was added due to being a veteran, so it still wouldn't apply.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
....I little off topic but Famicom ROB amiibo is up on amazon.co.jp
Gotta use a forwarding service though!

On topic...

duuhhh uuhhhhh

Goku smash derp.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I grew up with Kirby and love the series, but have zero affiliation with Bandana Dee because I missed that wii game. He's not at all an obvious pick and seems pretty odd to me when I have played 10+ kirby games and have no ties with him. He's a far pick from dedede or meta knight by so many accounts, and we have better front runner options. I hope he's not in and hate to burst bubbles but highly doubt it anyway. Comparing him to shovel knight off of sales is hardly fair on a repped franchise with life vs an indie title's first run. I'm not demanding Shovel Knight by any means but would much rather him than Bandana. Neither are on my list though lol

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I just don't think butt butt should be anything more than a Mii Costume. I think he would have a much better chance whenever Shovel Knight 2 is a thing.

EDIT: GUYS. Private Video appears on Japanese Direct Playlist!!!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just don't think butt butt should be anything more than a Mii Costume. I think he would have a much better chance whenever Shovel Knight 2 is a thing.

EDIT: GUYS. Private Video appears on Japanese Direct Playlist!!!
Unfortunately its just an old Iwata Dance Rhythm Heaven video apparently.

EDIT:

Nintendo Everything ‏@NinEverything 8m8 minutes ago
Sorry guys but it looks like the rumors of a new Nintendo Direct weren't right this time around. Was an old Iwata Rhythm Heaven dance video.

Nintendo Everything ‏@NinEverything
5m5 minutes ago
Well, that was part of it anyway. Looks like it was the Direct from January. No idea why they decided to make that one private!

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Why is the world so cruel. ;.;

I really hope we are getting one this Month.....the TP HD / Wii titles & extended maintenance on Monday give me hope. :p

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sigh. A reason behind every private video.
More specifically it was the January Nintendo Direct. Why they made it private, dunno. In theory we shouldn't see a video come up like this unless they actually air it.

My reasoning? They are just preparing for a long time because they want the Directs to be 'rebooted' with a bang.

Either that or Nintendo is a slowpoke.
Yeah, I agree. I think they want to make this a really good Direct so they're putting a lot of work into it.

Why is the world so cruel. ;.;

I really hope we are getting one this Month.....the TP HD / Wii titles & extended maintenance on Monday give me hope. :p
Definitely think we're getting one within the next two weeks for sure.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Inb4 next direct states that there will be no more additional content.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I am just going to drop my Captain Toad moveset here.

*plop*

Captain Toad Moveset
Captain Toad is as heavy as Wario, because of his backpack. Unfortunately, this gives him a slow running speed and short jumps. His rolls and dodges are average. He has two small jumps, but a few powerful aerials to make him a danger when airborne.

He has a tilt that can stun and two fast, strong Smashes. His grab is a cannon that gives him control of where he wants his unfortunate victim to go.

In order to compensate for his poor movement, Captain Toad has a few (A) attacks that give him movement and all his specials can be used to travel distances while being on the offensive.

Ground Attacks
A: Map Whack – Slaps with a rolled up map.

Tapping (A) results in a flurry of whacks that ends with a baseball-style swat.

Dash A: Trip – Trips over feet and rolls like a bowling ball. This pops enemies upwards.

Side tilt: Flashlight – Captain Toad’s flashlight pops on, shining an intense beam of light forward the distance of Bowser’s forward tilt.

The move stuns well at very close range, does a little bit of knockback medium distance, and only a little damage at the furthest length.

Up Tilt: Coins – Captain Toad faces the screen and with great speed plucks out a coin from the ground. The coin is thrown upwards where it travels a distance and then bursts into glitter.

Holding (A) after the attack will keep Captain Toad rapidly firing coins up into the air. This is a great strategy for damage racking.

Down tilt: Grappling Hook – Captain Toad crouches and snakes a grappling hook along the floor.

The length is the same as his tilt. However, the move has more knockback and attack power.

Up Smash: Pipe – A glass pipe rises up from the floor, encasing Captain Toad and launches him upwards as a spinning ball.

This is a quick move with good KO potential. The Captain could jump twice after being shot up when the spinning animation ends. The glass pipe protects from weak attacks when it is around Toad. Otherwise, the pipe shatters.

Forward Smash: Backpack Wallop – Shrugs off his backpack while he performs one spin, delivering a heavy-blow with his treasure-stuffed sack. This is a quick Smash with big knockback.

Down Smash: Lighten the Load – Captain Toad holds his backpack upside down, which opens and spills some contents. Two items (a diamond or green star) fall out and bounce in either directions a short distance before disappearing or shattering against an opponent. Good damage, moderate knockback power.

Aerial Attacks

Down Air: The Captain flips upside down and claps his shoes together, which propels him downward.

The shoes can send an opponent upwards and his squishy mushroom head can send an opponent downwards. This is a weak meteor smash. If the (A) button is pressed when the Captain connects the floor, he can bounce back into a jump animation.

Up Air: Takes out a Potted Piranha Plant from his backpack and holds it above his head. The plant rises from its pot from a long vine and snaps at the top for great knockback. Then, the plant descends back into the pot, which disappears in a puff of smoke.

As long as the move is initiated before Captain Toad hits the ground, the move keeps going until it’s finished even if Toad lands.

Neutral A: Hook-nado - Captain Toad whirls around his grappling hook around his body twice.

He gains air speed during this animation allowing him to move back and forth more than usual. This has low knock-back, but deals fair damage.

Forward A: Get Away! – The Captain closes his eyes, screams, and pushes forward with his hands. He lands on his stomach if he hits the ground during the animation. A good keep away move.

Back A: Sneaky Pick Ax – Captain Toad swings his Pick Ax above his head as he turns around to slice in a downward arc. It does not have the best range, but is solid in damage and knockback.

Specials

B: Pick Ax Rage – Captain Toad holds out his Pick Ax and goes berserk, swinging the weapon up and down. He can then pick a horizontal direction to go for a brief period or stay in place for a brief period.

This works in the air. However, there is end lag after the move.

Side B: Mine Kart – A mine kart appears in a puff of smoke and Toad jumps in. The kart goes in the direction picked on golden tracks for a short distance (the track can be curved slightly up or down) before hitting the end of the track and puffing away in a shower of broken boards. Captain Toad is launched while spinning in a ball.

The Kart does good knockback and the spinning Toad still does damage and some knockback. Toad cannot jump or attack until he hits the floor or grabs the ledge. This move can cover long distances.

Down B: Double Cherry – Captain Toad holds up a double cherry. He then splits into two Toads, each doing a short dash in opposite directions with their hands out for a push. After the animation, one Toad vanishes into a puff of pink smoke and the other remains on screen.

When Captain Toad is holding up the Double Cherry, the player can input left or right. The chosen direction will be the Toad that remains after the attack.

Up B: Propeller Hat – Toad puts on a Propeller Hat and flies upwards the distance of Luigi’s Up B (except the direction can be altered as long as Toad is wearing the hat), before the hat comes off and keeps flying upwards. Toad falls straight down, his heavy backpack plummeting him to the ground.

The hat does weak multiple hits and when Captain Toad falls he can knock opponents away.

Grab

(R): Cannon – Toad grabs with his stumpy arms. A press of (A) will have the Captain deliver a head butt with his lamp. A press of any direction will have him stuff the enemy into a turnip cannon.

The cannon will face the direction pressed, but can then be rotated at various angles before it fires. A red Crosshair will show where the cannon is pointed

Troykv

Smash Master

Donkey Kong: Just because Star Fox doesn't have many things to create a characters unless you do a massive stretch, and Donkey Kong is and A LOT bigger deal than Star Fox and Metroid combined... twice.

And Donkey Kong has K. Rool :p

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Welp.... Nintendo just tweeted about Super Mario Bros U/Super Luigi Bros U re-releasing in the eShop. If I'm not mistaken, that was part of a list of games (old and new) that could of been in a Direct. Oh well; I suppose there's always next week for something (I could be wrong, honestly. Maybe we'll still get a direct tomorrow?)

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The more I see Shantae support ect the more I want that character. I feel like reconcidering my top 5's, or making the banner into a top 7. I also feel like getting one of her games..

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm actually not that picky about
3rd party characters ( aside from the obviously stupid one like shrek) And I'm wouldn't mind having more in the game. You know what they say ,the more the merrier.

But still my two favorites are Professor Layton and Snake.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon -

Ditto replaces Random as a character (much like Blademaster/Charade). Has his own intro where he is released from his(it's?) pokeball and transforms into the random fighter character and then his own victory screen. Maybe add a function in which you could toggle swapping characters per match or per death.

Third Parties -

1) Snake
2) Simon Belmont (Classic NES Rep)
3) Black Mage (NES era FF Rep)
4) Rayman ( Wii/Wii U era Rep)
5) Shantae or ShoKni (Indie)

Would also love to see an entire mii fighter costume set dedicated to Fallout, like the idea despite having no chance.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I also feel like getting one of her games..
You should at least go ahead and do this; you can pick up Risky's Revenge from almost any service (that I'm aware of) at an extremely low price, little more than pocket change and it's well-worth it. It's a smaller, shorter game, but it serves as the perfect introduction to the series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Top 5 Third Party Characters, huh? In no particular order:
  1. Simon Belmont
  2. Tails
  3. Knuckles
  4. Dr. Eggman
  5. Zero

Last edited by a moderator:

pmilkosky

Smash Cadet
Favorite third party chars?
1. Banjo&Kazooie
2. Banjo
3. Kazooie
4. Banjo & Kazooie
5. Banjo and Kazooie
Don't pull that THEY'RE FIRST PARTY NOW bs on me, they were on a Nintendo console dammit. >:I

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I've only got three third-parties I wanna see.

3) Snake
2) Black Mage
1) Maxwell
Yay, I usually never see anyone request maxwell. Which is a shame seeing he's primarily on Nintendo consoles and he has unlimited moveset potential. He can summon pretty much everything to attack with and he could apply status effects to enemies similar to how you add on adjectives in scribblenauts. I think I wrote a moveset for him long ago, gonna need to dig that back up.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Time to join in!

1. Solid Snake
2. Bayonetta
3. Slime
4. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Simon Belmont

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have experience with past 4 hour long maintenances? That seems a like a long time, some major system update and what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom