• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
TBH, my younger bro didn't vote in the Smash Ballot, because the only person he would vote for would have been...
But obviously, he knew that would NEVER happen, so he gave up. I actually feel a little bad for my little bro. Truth be told, if anime characters were not allowed in Smash, I'd actually like Goku to be that one exception to that rule, and then NEVER speak of anime in Smash EVER again.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
WFT should've just been an AT or something. Maybe give her a stage, because the franchise is pretty big. They can pay homage to her without making her a character. Character slots should be saved for characters that were actually requested and that people actually want to pit against other icons.

In previous games it was just one or two obscure characters. The majority of the newcomers were popular icons, so people didn't complain too much. The biggest one though was Mewtwo being excluded from Brawl, when you had unrequested characters like ROB instead. Mewtwo should've been the priority there. The fanbase would've been much happier getting Mewtwo back than getting ROB.

The problem is as the roster is getting to 50+, people are starting to expect the prominent side characters or sub-series to be included now. The Dixies, the Impas, the Paper Marios etc. Instead this game we get a higher influx of unrequested characters than ever before. It wasn't just that there was unwanted characters, it's how many wanted characters didn't get in as well.
The problem is that the game should not be made up solely of requested characters.

Having only wanted characters doesn't make the game interesting or fun. Keep in kind that this community is not the only consumer. These games are multimillion sellers and go beyond the speculators. The Dixies, Impas and Paper Marios are popular to us, but not to everyone. WFT, for example, was a perfect pick because she is a vastly different character from the rest and was from one of the best selling Nintendo games every made. She clearly deserves to be in the game, at least as much as those characters do. Wii Fit is a successful game so having WFT in there is a fun addition.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Smash needs more villain characters.
No more heroes, no more waifus.
Unless the waifu is a villain.
Dark Samus....

I'm sure she somebody's waifu...

not mine though...

what? don't look at me like that.... >.>

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Getting characters like Ice Climbers, Mr. G&W, ROB, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer over the years reminds me of being a kid at Christmas. My mom used to take our gift requests into consideration, but she liked to buy things we didn't expect, too- she wanted some of our gifts to be a genuine surprise. Since we had an NES and we all loved it, the next logical step would've been for us to get a Super Nintendo. But my mom wanted us to try something different and wanted to surprise us, so she got us a Sega Genesis instead. In other words, we all pretty much knew characters like Rosalina, Little Mac, and Palutena were coming. Pre-Smash4, they all had surges of popularity and successful games. But we don't expect the more unconventional characters because Nintendo needs to surprise us with something. I think there's a lot of value in being genuinely surprised that people don't appreciate enough. Whether or not you like WFT, the yoga motif is at the very least, unique and different from what anyone else in Smash does. Duck Hunt utilizing elements of light gun games for its attacks is very unique. It keeps the game fresh. Sometimes, you get something you appreciate more by not knowing it was what you wanted.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
A good mix of wanted and unexpected characters is what makes a roster. Brawl sort of had that while not with SM4SH (but with very few ones).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The problem is that the game should not be made up solely of requested characters.

Having only wanted characters doesn't make the game interesting or fun. Keep in kind that this community is not the only consumer. These games are multimillion sellers and go beyond the speculators. The Dixies, Impas and Paper Marios are popular to us, but not to everyone. WFT, for example, was a perfect pick because she is a vastly different character from the rest and was from one of the best selling Nintendo games every made. She clearly deserves to be in the game, at least as much as those characters do. Wii Fit is a successful game so having WFT in there is a fun addition.
Obscure characters are ok, but only once the requested characters are in. As the roster gets bigger, the demand for icons gets bigger. The more obscure characters get in over icons, the more the game moves away from 'pit your favourite Nintendo icons against each other' and more towards just marketing and gimmicks.

Even amongst casuals, the outcry for icons is higher than that for gimmicks. Again, people are complaining that there's no K.Rool, but no one would complain about no WFT if she wasn't in the game. Not putting in a gimmick character doesn't disappoint people the same way that not putting in an icon does because they don't have massive fan-bases to disappoint.

I get that they can't please everyone, but they're also not actively trying to please as many people as possible. It just seems like Sakurai cares more about using the game as a creative outlet for himself and the satisfaction of surprising people rather than pleasing the fans long-term by giving them what they ask for, because it requires less creativity on his part.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Obscure characters are ok, but only once the requested characters are in. As the roster gets bigger, the demand for icons gets bigger. The more obscure characters get in over icons, the more the game moves away from 'pit your favourite Nintendo icons against each other' and more towards just marketing and gimmicks.

Even amongst casuals, the outcry for icons is higher than that for gimmicks. Again, people are complaining that there's no K.Rool, but no one would complain about no WFT if she wasn't in the game. Not putting in a gimmick character doesn't disappoint people the same way that not putting in an icon does because they don't have massive fan-bases to disappoint.

I get that they can't please everyone, but they're also not actively trying to please as many people as possible. It just seems like Sakurai cares more about using the game as a creative outlet for himself and the satisfaction of surprising people rather than pleasing the fans long-term by giving them what they ask for, because it requires less creativity on his part.
:4wiifitm::4duckhunt::4pacman::4villager: Wadda ya mean less creativity?

Honestly, add Ridley, King K. Rool, the Ice Climbers, Snake, Bandana Dee, and Isaac and then you're set to add whatever you want provided it is within reason assuming someone doesn't get big during this and next smash.

EDIT: I'm an idiot because I forgot Wolf.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
:4wiifitm::4duckhunt::4pacman::4villager: Wadda ya mean less creativity?

Honestly, add Ridley, King K. Rool, the Ice Climbers, Snake, Bandana Dee, and Isaac and then you're set to add whatever you want provided it is within reason assuming someone doesn't get big during this and next smash.
You're misunderstanding me

WFT and DHD are creative. My point is I think Sakurai makes those characters because he gets more satisfaction out of making a rich moveset for an obscure character. It requires more innovation and creativity than just listening to the fans and giving them what they ask for.

The problem is fans are less happy in the long run because no matter how good the movesets are people still want their icons. But had we got the icons with creative movesets, no one would be asking for a WFT with an exercise-based moveset.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
A good mix of wanted and unexpected characters is what makes a roster. Brawl sort of had that while not with SM4SH (but with very few ones).
I don't know.

Villager, Duck Hunt, WFT, PAC-MAN all stand as unexpected.

I actually love the current roster. 9/10, throw in Wolf and K. Rool, and it's near perfect. :)

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

The thing is, its not like these characters weren't requested though. Even ignoring "creative movesets," people reacted mostly positive to each character. Only ones I actually saw get disappointment for a bit were Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Greninja, and fans of Chrom who preferred him over Robin. Other than that, people were both excited and also liked the characters that got in.

Not to mention, we did get star power for this game. Villager, Wii Fit, and if you want to, the 3rd parties are characters that are pretty big. And even then, we're missing around 2-4 characters that can be considered "icons" (By most people anyway). I don't even know what can qualify that at this point. We have the likes of King K. Rool, Wolf, and Ridley (If he was eligible) as characters people would consider "Nintendo all stars". Besides them however, what other characters can we get that fall under this already subjective catagory anyway?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the game. Characters that are highly requested and eligible have what it takes to be added. However, it shouldn't be seen as a problem when we get characters from other franchises that are less big as others. Smash has always chosen characters from big to small series. If it seems like we aren't getting that enough star power, its because we're starting to reach the end of our big Character's, and are reaching the lesser known but still well received and popular franchises.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

How are the characters added now gimmicks. Looking at just the Nintendo characters, who is the gimmick? Let's look at them, shall we.

Villager - Star of Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's most successful franchises over the last decade
Wii Fit Trailer - Maybe a gimmick, but Wii Fit was incredibly successful. The main game sold over 40 million copies
Rosalina - Newer character, but she's been fairly popular and has appeared in quite a few Mairo titles since her debut
Little Mac - Was heavily requested
Greninja - Pokemon typically gets a new rep. Greninja was always a well liked Pokemon, so it made sense
Palutena - Fairly requested and the revival of Kid Icarus helped too
Robin - An oddity, but was choses due to Fire Emblem Awakening's success and the fact he was more unique than Chrom
Shulk - Fairly requested. Xenoblade was a cult favorite and is reflected in the high prices of US copies
Bowser Jr - Requested since Brawl
Duck Hunt - Was always liked, but was more of a concept. Everyone I've heard likes this character and he's well known in the mainstream
Lucina and Dark Pit - Not counting because of the costume thing. Will note that Lucina was popular. Dark Pit would have gone over better if he wasn't a carbon copy.

So I'm not seeing who is the gimmick her. WFT, maybe. Robin? I guess. I feel your comment is more "X character I want didn't get in," but Smash 4 added a ton of well liked characters and well known ones. They were not all ones the community liked, but they made for a very strong roster nonetheless. I can agree that DK has gotten the short end of the stick, but beyond that, I don't see an issue with the characters added, and they are certainly not gimmicky.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I don't know.

Villager, Duck Hunt, WFT, PAC-MAN all stand as unexpected.

I actually love the current roster. 9/10, throw in Wolf and K. Rool, and it's near perfect. :)
The thing is, that the roster felt 'incomplete' on release date. Some characters felt missed like Mewtwo, the Ice Climbers, Lucas, etc. It wasn't until DLC when those complaints went away, with the prospect of more characters coming to the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How are the characters added now gimmicks. Looking at just the Nintendo characters, who is the gimmick? Let's look at them, shall we.

Villager - Star of Animal Crossing, one of Nintendo's most successful franchises over the last decade
Wii Fit Trailer - Maybe a gimmick, but Wii Fit was incredibly successful. The main game sold over 40 million copies
Rosalina - Newer character, but she's been fairly popular and has appeared in quite a few Mairo titles since her debut
Little Mac - Was heavily requested
Greninja - Pokemon typically gets a new rep. Greninja was always a well liked Pokemon, so it made sense
Palutena - Fairly requested and the revival of Kid Icarus helped too
Robin - An oddity, but was choses due to Fire Emblem Awakening's success and the fact he was more unique than Chrom
Shulk - Fairly requested. Xenoblade was a cult favorite and is reflected in the high prices of US copies
Bowser Jr - Requested since Brawl
Duck Hunt - Was always liked, but was more of a concept. Everyone I've heard likes this character and he's well known in the mainstream
Lucina and Dark Pit - Not counting because of the costume thing. Will note that Lucina was popular. Dark Pit would have gone over better if he wasn't a carbon copy.

So I'm not seeing who is the gimmick her. WFT, maybe. Robin? I guess. I feel your comment is more "X character I want didn't get in," but Smash 4 added a ton of well liked characters and well known ones. They were not all ones the community liked, but they made for a very strong roster nonetheless. I can agree that DK has gotten the short end of the stick, but beyond that, I don't see an issue with the characters added, and they are certainly not gimmicky.
I agree. Each character has their reason for being in smash. Being really creative is just a plus.

The thing is, that the roster felt 'incomplete' on release date. Some characters felt missed like Mewtwo, the Ice Climbers, Lucas, etc. It wasn't until DLC when those complaints went away, with the prospect of more characters coming to the game.
Yeah. I do believe the roster needs the rest of the veterans (even Young Link), and some long awaited characters (such as Ridley), but I don't think this will happen this smash game.

I'm trying not to bring up smash 5 (oops), so I'll shut up now.

(Why can't you strikethrough words anymore? :crying:)

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
My stance on characters is this: As long as we get some fun characters, I couldn't care less about what characters make it or do not make it in the roster. Chances are if a character has not yet gotten in Smash Bros, it's probably because Sakurai either thinks he is unable to make the character work, or he thinks it's a silly idea. I'm not saying that any of the popular characters are silly ideas; in fact, I can see why people would want these particular characters in. However, we as fans have to understand that Sakurai is in charge of choosing characters; not us. The only thing we can do is give Sakurai suggestions and hope he goes through with them. Besides, I'm glad we're not the ones choosing the characters. If all Smash Bros added were popular characters, chances are we might have never known about series like Earthbound, Xenoblade and the like. Obscure Nintendo history is still Nintendo history, guys.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I am going to fail out of college because I constantly keep checking for direct announcements and leaks at all hours of the day instead of studying.

Nintendo please :104:
I know that feel.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You're literally an old man yelling at clouds as it's been like that since Melee. ESPECIALLY Roy
Figuratively.
Unless Dre is actually an old person yelling at clouds. In which case please provide a picture because that would be hilarious.

Sorry, but it literally annoys me whenever someone uses the word to mean the polar opposite.

-------------

It just seems like Sakurai cares more about using the game as a creative outlet for himself and the satisfaction of surprising people rather than pleasing the fans long-term by giving them what they ask for, because it requires less creativity on his part.
I get most of what you're saying, but I wouldn't say characters without any or low requests like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt require less creativity.

Someone like Ridley, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong or K. Rool or...hell; Toad, have more source material to work with than Wii Fit Trainer overall especially when it comes to fighting movesets. You have to get pretty creative to come up with a workable gimmick for what is essentially a blank slate of a character without it feeling too forced.

I feel like Captain Falcon did it better as a (near) blank slate character though compared to Wii Fit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Figuratively.
Unless Dre is actually an old person yelling at clouds. In which case please provide a picture because that would be hilarious.

Sorry, but it literally annoys me whenever someone uses the word to mean the polar opposite.

-------------

I get most of what you're saying, but I wouldn't say characters without any or low requests like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt require less creativity.

Someone like Ridley, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong or K. Rool or...hell; Toad, have more source material to work with than Wii Fit Trainer overall especially when it comes to fighting movesets. You have to get pretty creative to come up with a workable gimmick for what is essentially a blank slate of a character without it feeling too forced.

I feel like Captain Falcon did it better as a (near) blank slate character though compared to Wii Fit.

Can't prove me wrong amiright

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Are you kidding? Wii Fit Trainer is so easy to come up with moves for. Pretty obvious that they'd be based off of yoga poses and the balance board games.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine

Lol, but the routines she walks the player through is source material and plenty of it. Enough to put together a moveset. I don't think Wii Fit Trainer is the heavily improvised random character people make her out to be.

Last edited:

Slashster

Smash Rookie
Don't mind me... just waiting for navi to warn the battle.

On a serious note though I really want amateratsu to be in smash. I need it to happen =<

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Are you kidding? Wii Fit Trainer is so easy to come up with moves for. Pretty obvious that they'd be based off of yoga poses and the balance board games.
I am not kidding.

The other characters listed actually fight in their games so comparatively yes it is harder to find a fighting style out of heading footballs, hula hooping or breathing deeply for Wii Fit Trainer. It's only obvious because the character exists and we've seen it in action.

Plus if we're honest Salute the Sun firing energy balls is a stretch.

Yes that's a stealth Wii Fit joke.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I am not kidding.

The other characters listed actually fight in their games so comparatively yes it is harder to find a fighting style out of heading footballs, hula hooping or breathing deeply for Wii Fit Trainer. It's only obvious because the character exists and we've seen it in action.

Plus if we're honest Salute the Sun firing energy balls is a stretch.

Yes that's a stealth Wii Fit joke.
How is it hard to make moves out of those? You can hit people with just about anything, and that's what she does, similarly to Villager or Mr. Game and Watch. The only real stretches in her moveset are Sun Salutation and Deep Breathing, maybe Wii Fit.

I'd even say that sometimes, it's easier to create movesets for the people that can't fight.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Dayum, doesnt bbgurl know LoZ is a family franchise.
The Legend of Zelda, a Faaaaaaaamilly Picture.

Even though I am a girl, I can't deny that Cia is so DAMN sexy! :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd even say that sometimes, it's easier to create movesets for the people that can't fight.
Since you can make any old nonsense up and it won't feel out of character?

I'd disagree when it comes to Wii Fit's sun salutation. The fitness trainer who focuses on using various poses to improve her physical fitness suddenly gains the ability to shoot energy balls due to the tenuous link of the pose mentioning the word 'sun'.

Imagine if someone like Barbara the Bat was suggested to be able to hold multiple objects at once with a move called 'Guitar Pick' due to a the word "pick" in the move. People would laugh at how absurd that was. Only difference is Wii Fit's in the game thus is (mostly) exempt from people criticising some of her more offbeat and nonsensical abilities.

At the end of the day no matter who gets in people will end up heavily defending the character's moveset whilst claiming the character an obvious inclusion or a stroke of genius be that a popular character like K. Rool or someone like Flipnote Frog or Wii News Cat.

That a leek is confirmed for Smash. :troll:
Farfetch'd confirmed then.

Since you can make any old nonsense up and it won't feel out of character?

I'd disagree when it comes to Wii Fit's sun salutation. The fitness trainer who focuses on using various poses to improve her physical fitness suddenly gains the ability to shoot energy balls due to the tenuous link of the pose mentioning the word 'sun'.

Imagine if someone like Barbara the Bat was suggested to be able to hold multiple objects at once with a move called 'Guitar Pick' due to a the word "pick" in the move. People would laugh at how absurd that was. Only difference is Wii Fit's in the game thus is (mostly) exempt from people criticising some of her more offbeat and nonsensical abilities.

At the end of the day no matter who gets in people will end up heavily defending the character's moveset whilst claiming the character an obvious inclusion or a stroke of genius be that a popular character like K. Rool or someone like Flipnote Frog or Wii News Cat.
Maybe Yoshi's down special should have an explosion - it has a bomb on it's name after all. :troll:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Farfetch'd confirmed then.
You seriously have no idea how much I would want him to be playable. Just give him moves like Night Slash and Fury Cutter so that he can be a damn bird samurai of doom.

Those who played Pokemon Battle Revolution and seen his bloody physical attack animation would understand the joke. :laugh:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sorry, Pidgey already claimed that title.
Does Pidgey have his own sword or learn Fury Cutter? :troll:

Though I wouldn't mind if it were his third stage evolution (Pidgeot) because of that sexy Mega Evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom