• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly, if Wonderful 101 wasn't such a victim to the poor early sales and general lack of advertisement with the WiiU, I feel like we would have seen an Assist Trophies, some music tracks, and probably hearing a lot more hushed murmurs of W102.

I don't feel like W101 would have the impact to get Red as a full fighter, even with the ballot, even in a more beneficial circumstance, because it is still part of the niche that Platinum games serve. Your opinion on the Inkling's hopes aside, they're one of few WiiU characters to ever be seriously discussed for a fighter because of just HOW massive it has been and I don't think W101 would have hit that super star game status.

This is coming from a big fan of the game that did the work to get all 101 Wonders.

However, come Smash 5, if we HAVE a W102 which is more successful, I could really see Wonder Red being one of those "sleeper" picks for the roster as a bit of a shock alongside Chibi-Robo, somewhat similar to :4villager: or :4littlemac:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
All I'm saying is... is that Fire Emblem and Pokemon deserve to get more characters and newcomers every new installment because they have a different cast of main characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
All I'm saying is... is that Fire Emblem and Pokemon deserve to get more characters and newcomers every new installment because they have a different cast of main characters.
Don't even try to be sarcastic, considering you've always whined about Fire Emblem characters in the past, I highly, highly doubt you'd actually be okay with more

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I did not enjoy the demo of W101 and I don't see much appeal in the game, but I see the appeal in his potential moveset.

He could also be a AT in the next game.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I never saw the Demo for W101, but in terms of gameplay it suffered in 3 main issues.

1) EVERY SECTION REQUIRING YOU TO GO FIRST PERSON VIA GAMEPAD IS AWFUL.

2) Some of that Platinum games "staleness" in gameplay if you decide to stick to a particular fighting style or combo in spite of the variety in gameplay available. Its just a fact that it can get repetitive.

3) The "Scale" of the game leaves it with the focus being on the length of levels more than abundance of them. This leaves a number of them "dragging on."

That was my experience.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I never really thought Wonder Red had a chance even before the game's release, but damn it, I wanted to believe.

I remember when San Diego Comic Con '14 was on and there was talk that there'd be a "big surprise" for Smash at the event. My brother and I wondered if it'd be Wonder Red, because, y'know, superheroes.

Straw-grasping, but it was good times, good times~

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
This is silly. Your Silly. The way you have phrased this is silly.

Do I care about that myth of making representation matter? No

But do I think that a group can have to many characters? Yes (I'm lookin at you Mario)

Let things come when they need to come you big silly :3

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wonder Red?

He would be a good character to add. I guess with all the stuff going on, he may be either a good DLC candidate or in the next Smash.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This is silly. Your Silly. The way you have phrased this is silly.

Do I care about that myth of making representation matter? No

But do I think that a group can have to many characters? Yes (I'm lookin at you Mario)

Let things come when they need to come you big silly :3
I know he's kinda on the wrong and it's true that a franchise can't have too many characters, Mario is the only series that can get away with it but it depends on the choices. I ain't saying just put in anyone but have right choices in there and it can work.

Now Pokemon is the one example of a group having too many fighters. Problems of it that I don't want like 9 different Pokemon taking up the roster. 6-7 is enough for me.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I know he's kinda on the wrong and it's true that a franchise can't have too many characters, Mario is the only series that can get away with it but it depends on the choices. I ain't saying just put in anyone but have right choices in there and it can work.

Now Pokemon is the one example of a group having too many fighters. Problems of it that I don't want like 9 different Pokemon taking up the roster. 6-7 is enough for me.
I guess my beef with Mario (group in smash) is that it makes up excuses to have more mario characters in the game but have them signed under a different logo. Yoshi, Wario, and even Donkey Kong when you think about it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I guess my beef with Mario (group in smash) is that it makes up excuses to have more mario characters in the game but have them signed under a different logo. Yoshi, Wario, and even Donkey Kong when you think about it.
Well it's not like Wario, Donkey Kong and Yoshi don't have their own series on their own. Yeah, they show up in Mario games. But they aren't Mario characters necessarily.

Frankly, I would disagree that there's a problem with the way Mario is represented anyway. I mean, I hate talking about sales and what not, but...Mario is Mario. It's going to have a lot of stuff in the character department.

I guess it's just the way it's interpreted. I interpret it differently from you as far as the characters are concerned. Each of the Mario characters (even if you consider the other 3 as Mario characters) have distinct and unique characteristics to their playstyle.

The only one I would consider close to being a Mario character is Yoshi, but even then he's got a good amount of games where he's the main man. Donkey Kong and Wario have their own series, so I don't really see why they'd be Mario characters besides their appearance in spin offs.
---
Wonder Red would be AMAZING in Smash. I don't care that W101 bombed. It's a real fun game (opinion) and The Wonderful 101 have so much potential for Smash. Red or the whole group themselves will always be a top choice for me.

D

Deleted member

Well it's not like Wario, Donkey Kong and Yoshi don't have their own series on their own. Yeah, they show up in Mario games. But they aren't Mario characters necessarily.
I would argue Yoshi is a "non-Mario character in icon only".
Yoshi's too intertwined with Mario to be considered branched off. It'd be like saying Luigi isn't a Mario character because of the Luigi's Mansion games.

At least with Wario, he's been separated after the first Wario Land and Donkey Kong branched off from the same source Mario did; the original Donkey Kong game.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

Frankly, I would disagree that there's a problem with the way Mario is represented anyway. I mean, I hate talking about sales and what not, but...Mario is Mario. It's going to have a lot of stuff in the character department.

I guess it's just the way it's interpreted. I interpret it differently from you as far as the characters are concerned. Each of the Mario characters (even if you consider the other 3 as Mario characters) have distinct and unique characteristics to their playstyle.

The only one I would consider close to being a Mario character is Yoshi, but even then he's got a good amount of games where he's the main man. Donkey Kong and Wario have their own series, so I don't really see why they'd be Mario characters besides their appearance in spin offs.
---
Wonder Red would be AMAZING in Smash. I don't care that W101 bombed. It's a real fun game (opinion) and The Wonderful 101 have so much potential for Smash. Red or the whole group themselves will always be a top choice for me.
It's not even about sales. It's about recognizability. People eat Mario stuff up because everyone knows Mario and friends. Nintendo is fully aware of how popular they are, from Mario and Luigi to Captain Toad and Waluigi.

And they give it as much as that warrants.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would argue Yoshi is a "non-Mario character in icon only".
Yoshi's too intertwined with Mario to be considered branched off. It'd be like saying Luigi isn't a Mario character because of the Luigi's Mansion games.

At least with Wario, he's been separated after the first Wario Land and Donkey Kong branched off from the same source Mario did; the original Donkey Kong game.
Fair. Again, probably up to interpretation.

To me, Yoshi has his own series. To someone else he might not. Luigi's Mansion is a fair point though...god I love those games.

Either way, who cares? If anything, this whole thing (if Sakurai is dodging the Mario series thing) shows that Sakurai doesn't care about the series rep thing as far as Mario is concerned. I mean hey, they would all be in anyway at some point.

Not to mention Jr. is one of my favorites.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Let's also not forget that Mario is Nintendo's main mascot. So they can't forget about him and putting new Mario content in Smash, that would always be a given. If there's things that people know will always be there when it to new games for a new console for Nintendo as well, is new mainstream Mario game, new Mario Kart, new Smash, new Legend of Zelda the things that we know are going to be there, where are they?
Besides people also have to kinda understand between Brawl and now, 90 percent of the games that Nintendo put out in recent years has really been Mario. Which is some of the reasons as to why some people were disappointed with this years E3. We wanted new things from older franchises besides Mario, even if it was the 30th anniversary, or maybe even a new IP in general.
So yes it is understandlable as to why Mario gets more representation but I also understand why people gets pissed off about it because it does kinda feel like Nintendo doesn't give other franchises much attention that it deserves. Especially their other bigger ones like Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong and Kirby, that could still hold on their own, and still makes people excited.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So if you all don't mind my abrupt changes conversation change (sorry to interrupt), I'd like to bring up something we haven't spoken of in a while.

We know now that companies can have two third party characters, could it be possible for a single third party series to get a second rep?

I suppose we should measure using the elephant in the room, Sonic. The only third party series this far to have a character in multiple Smash games, is it deserving of multiple characters in a Smash game? I'm interested to see what you all think.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Is there any way to vote without logging in? I would like to vote anonymously.
Sorry you need an account to vote. The reason is to prevent multiple votes. I'm trying to enforce the 1 vote per person as much as possible, and this is the only way to do it.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So if you all don't mind my abrupt changes conversation change (sorry to interrupt), I'd like to bring up something we haven't spoken of in a while.

We know now that companies can have two third party characters, could it be possible for a single third party series to get a second rep?

I suppose we should measure using the elephant in the room, Sonic. The only third party series this far to have a character in multiple Smash games, is it deserving of multiple characters in a Smash game? I'm interested to see what you all think.
It is indeed possible...Sonic being the most likely with Tails possibly being the next in line, but there is some push for a second Megaman character as well, most notably Zero though...Both of which are already showcased in the game somehow, so it's not too :083:...It really depends on how things are handled in the Ballot though, how much support these characters are getting compared to other contenders and if Sakurai's going to choose the most popular picks or if it even matters...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

What? 9 different Pokemon :4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo::squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee: is too many?

64 had 2 playable Pokemon out of 12 characters. Melee had 4 playable Pokemon out of 26 characters. Brawl had 6 playable Pokemon out of 39 characters. SSB4 currently have 6 (still) playable Pokemon out of 55 characters... and only 6 playable Pokemon out of 55 characters is enough? So... if the roster grows over 70 or even 80, the Pokemon roster must stay at 6?

The less, the merrier?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Can we get off the topic of "reps"? Let's be real for a moment. If Sakurai, the man who makes the decisions, allowed FIVE seperate Fire Emblem characters to be in the game, does he actually care an ounce about "reps"? Probably not. Fire Emblem is one of my absolute favorite game series ever. But I can't even justify it's number of characters when looking at what games it's sharing space with on the roster.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Remember when people judged characters based on their own merits instead of the series they came from?
Neither do I.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm BS and so I want 4 Kid Icarus Characters. 5 if Pittoo would remain a clone. Perfection to me would be adding in Medusa + Hades OR Viridi.

Take me down.

If I would be in full BS mode I would say add in Phosphora, Magnus, Pandora and both Viridi and Hades too. Ain't that drunk.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'm just hoping the face of the next gen is a grass-type so they have a good chance to get into 5mash.....and a grass type is in.

OR. The return of Ivysaur ala Charizard with being a separate character. Then a newcomer who is a interesting type. Maybe ghost or something that isn't yet playable in Smash yet.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I wish we'd get a stage 2 pokemon like Grovyle (who actually has history as being a main character in a game, Pokemon Mystery Dungeons: Explorers of Time/Sky/Darkness) or a full-blown quadrupedal Pokemon like Ivysaur.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I wish we'd get a stage 2 pokemon like Grovyle (who actually has history as being a main character in a game, Pokemon Mystery Dungeons: Explorers of Time/Sky/Darkness) or a full-blown quadrupedal Pokemon like Ivysaur.
Ivysaur is also a Stage 2.

So are Pikachu and Lucario unless we don't count baby Pokemon as stage 1.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I dunno what you guys are talking about. If the Pokémon has one pre-evolution, then it's a stage 2 Pokémon, baby or no baby.

I want every Pokémon veteran back. Squirtle and Ivysaur had some interesting concepts for their moves that never got to shine thanks to the Stamina and Type Advantages mechanic in Brawl, and Pichu would be a fun joke character. As for Pokémon Trainer himself, he could be brought back as someone who stands in the background for Pichu should they decide to buff him. Pokémon that are trained are stronger than wild ones, so it could add believability to the concept of Pichu coming back as an improved fighter while also bringing back the trainer, killing two birds with one stone.

I'm just hoping the face of the next gen is a grass-type so they have a good chance to get into 5mash.....and a grass type is in.

OR. The return of Ivysaur ala Charizard with being a separate character. Then a newcomer who is a interesting type. Maybe ghost or something that isn't yet playable in Smash yet.
A ghost type Pokemon would indeed be cool... :094:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Actually, the first form of a Pokemon that are not babies (Charmander, Treecko, etc.), are known as the Basic form. The next evolution is Stage 1 and if there's another evolution, that would be Stage 2.

That means Pikachu is Basic and Grovyle is Stage 1.

Last edited:
Speaking of baby Pokemon, does anyone else feel that (most) baby Pokemon were unnecessary? Especially Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff and Azurill felt unnecessary, as their evolutions aren't very strong to begin with.

I am so ****ing glad we didn't get a Gen I newcomer. The fact the only Pokemon newcomer is my favourite Mon is just a bonus. Zoroark and Aggron now so all gens get repped hue hue
Gen 2 would like to have a word with you (unless you meant the whole series rather than just Smash 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom