• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK vs IceClimbers Matchup

drug_duck

Smash Rookie
Since I will be attending a tournament in 2 weeks I need help with the matchup DK vs IceClimbers. The people I will fight against are at least quite decent but I don’t need to fear them (even looking forward to **** my girlfriend’s Falco) but recently a friend of mine who will also be there picked the ICs and I just got three-stock’d.
I watched the Bum vs ChuDat matches on Youtube and collected opinions about the ICs in the “worst-matchup” thread and after doing so I started to think that I as a Donkey have no favourable points in this matchup which kinda pissed me off…
I quote four of the opinions which I thought can be discussed controversially.

I think ICies are my least favorite matchup with DK. The back air just doesn't work (and maybe that's why I don't like this matchup, because back air is all I do), grabs don't work, and you get comboed like nobody's B. But actually, I haven't done this one much at all and I imagine ground slap or stomp could be useful.
~ and per se andy

Ice Climbers: DK's grab game doesn't work. DK's use of BAir doesn't work. Therefore, DK doesn't work.
~ halfdemon

DK loses to ICs as Sheik Loses to ICs [because of] no grab game.
~ me14k
In the end, we Donkeys have no grab game, no bair game, hell, no game at all. They, the ICs on the other hand, have ugly grabs, ugly uairs and retardedly sick fsmashes to pull off. Relying on the Punch is certainly to be abused if you’ll do it all the time. This is at least my opinion when I played against ICs

b airs are **** against IC's. Camping with b airs works really well on them. Run away and charge the giant punch and spam b airs. This isn't as bad of a matchup as most people might think. And the giant punch almost always hits nana, and down b works really well against the ic's. You can even ko nana instantly if you manage to grab her when she's away from popo. You can jump off the edge and throw her forward or down and she can't recover by herself. I think this match is not that, dk has much worse fights
~ Mexican
As long as a DK isn’t able to tear these IncestClimbers apart, they will crush the ape’s butt. In addition, I think it rarely works, I tried it against my friend’s IC but I had just no clue at all what to do… Surprise probably played an important role because I thought he would pick Zelda/Mewtwo but nevertheless I dont want people to **** me so hard…

Can you give some intelligent advice? ;)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I'm gonna have to go with what Mexican said. This matchup isn't as bad as it may seem.

Since Ice Climbers players almost always appoarch while on the ground, Down B is teh ****. They can't really avoid it and it helps separates them. Another good way to separate them is through DK's grab game. As already mentioned, it's rather easy to get Nana kills through the cargo. It may seem risky, but we all know the Popo isn't going to jump off after you and DK is rather annoying to edge guard, so even if he waits for you, he can't really punish you. Bair spam is a must, pretty much in every match up. It makes DK harder to grab with the obvious spacing difference between the characters. That being said, I find DK's forward and down tilt to be pretty useful (but that's generally in any matchup). I don't use Giant Punch that much, but when considering what Mexican says and looking at Bum's videos, it seems to work pretty well in this matchup.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Here's a simple strategy. I you play on a stage with platforms, camp on them and charge the giant punch. Just jump and charge until you have a full charge, then go down and b air a little bit until you think you might have an opening, and unleash it. Once you've used that, jump right back up to those platforms and repeat. But to be honest, i like to go final d on ice climbers.

At final D, just camp with the b airs. If you know how to space and l cancel, you should be fine. Just jump and charge your giant punch, and when the ic's try to come in, fast fall and give them a b air. They can't get in if you do this properly. And once you have your giant punch charged, just use it on them, and you'll at least hit nana.

***NOTICE***- Dk's strategy isn't the same as everybody elses. Don't worry about seperating the ic's, thats what will lose you the match. Don't attempt to grab at all, theres no need unless they are seperated. Just stick to these strategies, and you'll be fine. The moment you try just to seperate them, thats when you get grabbed and die. I played a few ic's at the last tournament i went to, and the vids got recorded and should be up soon. Once they're up, i'll link them here and you can see what i'm talking about. I only 1 stocked the ic's player on dreamland, but then 3 stocked it on Pokemon Stadium (Pokemon stadium is good cuz you can use either strategy, either camping with b airs, or camping on platforms). Once they're up, watch them and you'll see what i'm talking about

*edit- And no offense to AOB, Half-Demon, or me14K, but i don't agree with what they say at all. Its definately not one of dk's worst matches in my opinion, but thats just my opinion.

BUM163

Smash Lord
wat mexican sayz is true. don't worry about seperating them so much. if u can space urself well u should b fine. every player is different. as in mexican likes final d, i would tell a player 2 pick like brinstar, rainbow cruise just cause the cpu can't follow all that well or my favorite jungle japes. well me i don't say who got a bad match up. this is smash, u have 2 include stages n hazzards, n everyone has their preference. wat mexican says is his opinion on how ic's ain't much of a threat. u may have a completely different style n they can pose red alert on ur side of the field. just train, attend tournies unlike me lol which now i'm starting 2 n do ur best.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I followed exactly these tips and beat a pretty good IC's player in a local tourney a couple hours ago. Woo. It's true bair works really well, but if you don't space yourself right they will keep cc-ing into a smash. Also, I found using up+b (initial hit) as an edgeguard off the stage works decently. Giant punch is pretty good in this match up too, as mentioned.

Yay for IC-killing DK's.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Spam charge punch and down B. Use ftilt and dtilt a lot. Practice proper edgegaurding for their up b. Learn to DI properly. It's not an impossible matchup.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Spam charge punch and down B. Use ftilt and dtilt a lot. Practice proper edgegaurding for their up b. Learn to DI properly. It's not an impossible matchup.
I'd be careful with the f tilts and d tilts. The d tilts might not be so bad, but the f tilt might get you in trouble since i'm pretty sure that the ic's can wd out of shield and grab you before the lag of your f tilt is over. Or better ic's players will even just do a jab into a grab, which i don't think DK can avoid once they are within jab range. And using the down b is a good strategy, but i dunno if i'd say spam it. A smart ic's player will anticipate it if you use it too much and have nana fire off an ice block, and have popo chase behind it for the grab. The ice block will stun you long enough for popo to wd in and get the grab. Its good to use, just don't overuse it so that it becomes predictable

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Really good match, and yeah the second match was **** :p

I liked how effectively you used the donkey punch and I also liked when you cargo'd nana off forcing him to save her because she is too stupid of a ***** to use her recovery moves.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Really good match, and yeah the second match was **** :p

I liked how effectively you used the donkey punch and I also liked when you cargo'd nana off forcing him to save her because she is too stupid of a ***** to use her recovery moves.
Yeah, if you manage to grab nana while she's away from popo, just jump out and throw her forward and she can't recover without help from popo, and even if popo does save her, it gives you a free shot at either of them.

Top Bottom