• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Match-up Discussion Thread REMOVE STICKY PLZ

Linguini

Smash Master
I'm glad that you beat one Olimar, I've beaten several myself. But that doesn't change the fact that the matchup is stacked slightly in Olimar's favor. A defensive Olimar is tough to get around.

DK's tilts do not decimate Olimar's grab game. Let me repeat what I said again: OLIMAR GETS A FREE GRAB AFTER BLOCKING ANY DK TILT. Olimar's grab outranges all of DK's tilts as well. He also gets a free grab off of any Bair low enough to the ground to hit Olimar. What does that leave DK to attack with?

DownB outranges standing grab, barely, but it's too slow to consistently use, and risky as well. If Olimar uses dash grab, he gets grabbed out of it. Plus, Olimar can SH and toss pikmin onto DK over your DownB, which DownB won't kill since they aren't on the ground. If you have 2-4 pikmin on you, you need to get them off, or they will do anywhere from 15-40%. If Olimar has SH'd the pikmin, they land on DK's head. The moves that will get them off DK's head are: Utilt, Uair, UpB. If DK uses Utilt or UpB, Olimar can go in for a grab. If he does Uair, Olimar can boost Usmash, which hurts, or SH more pikmin and reset the scenario.

If you approach with tilts on the ground, you get grabbed. If you approach with low Bairs to hit him, you get grabbed. Olimar gets at least 20-30% per grab, if not more, plus mixups in his favor afterwards.
lol im sure you have played against alot of good olimars living in South Bend.
ive been to south bend for fc and it's population doesnt exactly have the best skill level in terms of smash.
I havent seen you place high in any tournaments to back up your statements, Ive actually beaten several olimars in Florida in tournaments btw.

Your acting like the DK cant kill him in like one hit rofl, and once he's off the stage olimar is trash.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm going to agree with brahma's points. I think he's spot-on at some crucial elements to the matchup.
linguini's right thoug that olimar is still a sucky character once you get him off.

I think its a fair matchup, personally.

In other knews...i can say i've played alot of good DKs so far. Axelol is deffinately the best i've played though, with Ripple and myself being the next tier of DK-skills i've seen.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
My tournament placings and competition in my hometown don't have any relevance the the facts that I have stated about the matchup. How about discussing how DK can overcome the problems he has with Olimar's tremendous camping ability instead of being an ass?

Olimar is easy once you get him off, but that's exactly the problem. It's tough to get close enough to Olimar without him being able to grab you. If he can shieldgrab your best approaches, and even your mediocre ones, how to you get in close? Meanwhile, Olimar has the ability to rack a lot of damage on DK with >B toss, and grab combos, and can kill DK reliably in the low to mid-100%s.

Olimar preys on big characters, especially those without a reliable aerial that can remove pikmin on the head and lower body at the same time take a look at this. Granted, Olimar won't be able to hit something like this every time, but it gives you an idea of the combo capabilities he has on larger characters.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Hmm, after looking at a great deal of your DK vs Ness arguments, would you DK mainers agree that the match-up is neutral? Right now, the match-up thread lists it as a disadvantage for Ness, but several DK mainers have admitted it as neutral...

Should we officially settle on a neutral? If so, then we can go into the Match-up thread and request the change.

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
i main a ness and need a secondary, someone who could beat marth. i was looking at dk was wondering if he could match up to marth. the match up thread on the marth boards puts it at 6:4 marth, but i want a real opinion

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
i think marth should be 6 not five because the counter if spamed is a ***** and his ability to combo into spikes is good. Not to mension if he tips he can kill DK around 100% if by the edge. also marths fair has no lag and can go right into another move so you can't shield grab again timing has to be perfect.

i believe peach should be 5 because her dairs set up easy combos and an easy 30+ dmg to you. although the lck of kill moves she can still get a fair out of dairs if she float cancels. Another reason is she has a projectile that can be spamed easy, and she might even get lucky and get a light saber, bomb or stiches(the turnip that does 35% <---which is bull s***)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Hmm, after looking at a great deal of your DK vs Ness arguments, would you DK mainers agree that the match-up is neutral? Right now, the match-up thread lists it as a disadvantage for Ness, but several DK mainers have admitted it as neutral...

Should we officially settle on a neutral? If so, then we can go into the Match-up thread and request the change.
I agree. Ness and DK are equal IMO too.:ohwell:

PKNintendo

Smash Master
PK fire may be annoying, but DK's tilts are REALLY annoying. Both characters can go head to head.A pretty even matchup.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
sorry guys but I don't know if I'll be able to update this anymore, I haven't updated this in a while and I can't for another 2 weeks(going on a trip for school where phones and internet are not allowed). I also feel that half of this is info is outdated and the meta games have changed. (ganondorf is a hard match up, yoshi counters dk, ness is easy due to chain grab). you guys need to create another match up thread that has more current info on the characters and entrust it to someone who will update it regularly. sorry guys, I thought I was up to it but I wasn't. if a mod reads this please remove the sticky and lock this.

Your talking about the cargo hold release>Regrab right?

Ness cannot be CG by DK. With backwards DI, DK can reach Ness, nor Lucas. The matchup is still a definete 50-50. He can only be infinited by Marth and Charizard.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
why do you keep posting in here? STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD

Top Bottom