• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK: 101 A primer for newcomers.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
DK's Fair has super armor on its wind up animation. Definitely seems good for mindgames and aerial battles.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
o.0

Excellent find SamuraiPanda.

Good choice for a stickied thread.

UPDATE-
I haven't had time to test or find the proper application of SA on CLOWNair, but being optimistic I assume we Dk can effectivly beat out EVERY single strike upB into a spike. Seriously think about how many that is!

Luigi
Diddy
Dedede
Ike
Marth
Snake
Lucas
Ness
Falco
Fox
Wolf
Game N Watch
Kirby
Pikmin
Charizard
Ivysaur
Sonic

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Hey Kong Soldiers,

I'm leaving soon to rock a Gamestop Tourney. lol

Additionally, I will start a VERY important discussion in a week or so. In an effort to establish tiers/rankings we as a whole will diagnose Brawl DK. Strengths weakness's EVERYTHING. Once all of our debates are settled and we can relatively agree on DK's potential than I will instigate this same deal for other characters. We can compare characters this way with a much more educated and reliable content. I don't want a Shiek player talking about the potential of DK just because he's allowed in the restricted sections. In a week or so I'll release my rankings and categories and I urge all DK players to contribute and elaborate on this.

Kyle~

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
hey kyle I'm getting brawl tonight at midnight I'll post my thoughts on this sometime early tomorrow. if you need me to test something I'm your guy

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll be gettin a copy too. Please wait a week or so to post your thoughts, i want to be past initial reactions.

UPDATES-
Could NOT find SA frames on Fair. :confused:

King Kong

Smash Lord
To me DK seems fairly solid in brawl. Not the best character in the game by any means, but he's not going to get walked over easily by anyone.

Kyle, how do find you fair against small campy characters like Toon Link and Diddy? They give me serious problems with DK as its VERY hard to approach them and they rack up damage quickly when they land a hit. I feel that camping is gonna be a big problem for DK in this game, just like in Melee.

Have you tried double B-air shorthop into grab/f-tilt? Its a really solid starting combo at low percents, especially if you follow the grab into cargo/jump offstage-d-throw/f-air. Most people try to jump over the F-air, but many characters are unable to do so and get hit, it works well so far for me.

peace out

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Camping characters... yeah you WILL get ZONED by playing DK. But the best option you will have is using Ftilt to negate projectiles. Diddy doesn't give me a problem as I have yet to fight a defensinve one, his Banana's can be caught and used against him and the peanut gun can be negated with FTilt. Toon link= BEAST, but do try Ftilt to clash with boomerang and catch bombs.

I am excited to try cargo Dtoss combo thx!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Camping characters... yeah you WILL get ZONED by playing DK. But the best option you will have is using Ftilt to negate projectiles. Diddy doesn't give me a problem as I have yet to fight a defensinve one, his Banana's can be caught and used against him and the peanut gun can be negated with FTilt. Toon link= BEAST, but do try Ftilt to clash with boomerang and catch bombs.

I am excited to try cargo Dtoss combo thx!
ZELDA=BEAST

I can manage against link and toon link but I can't beat zelda. but a very good combo against her when she shields is bair up-tilt to up-tilt to uair. they will most likely try a fair or bair out of shield but the uptilt negates it.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
-I didn't win the Gamestop Tourney. My twin brother did. Good job jais. =)

-On-line is fun. Green DK OWNEZ people.

-This DK forum is lacking two very important threads. I will start one but I don't have the time to dedicate myself to too much around here as I have plenty of work on the Guilt Gear forums to keep me busy.

- DK: Aiding Arenas and Counter Stages

- DK: Match-up Discussion

Whoeve decides to start and handle the "DK: Match-up Discussion" thread needs to keep the header updated.

@Ripple & NJ'sFinest- Friend codes? I'll post mine when I get home tonight.

About Zelda... You can Attack and negate Din's Fire. =) This help A LOT!

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't get d-tilt trip into anything guaranteed. Every move I tried after the trip the opponent seems to be able to roll/getup attack out of using invincable frames. Is there something I'm missing?

Up-B invincibility is sick.

Side-B into Smashes/punch is amazing. The pullback range on it is nice to cause some whiffs on jabs etc. Also, IIRC from playing, aerial Side-B buries grounded opponents. Which since it stops vert. momentum means you could jump over d-tilts like Lucas's and immediately side-B to barely clear it and punish the whiff.

I'm having some trouble with my bros Gdorf. Side-B is fast and can't be shielded, and is really hard to dodge/roll efectively. The best option to deal with it is to jump over, but he can also mix it up with Fair and Usmash if you try. I can hop over for a Bair in his back if Ganon tries Side-B, but the other options leave me open since DK doesn't have a fast forward hitting aerial I can drop into Ganon. You can jab/tilt Ganon out of Side-B too, but often it's too quick and I get grabbed before I can stuff it.

Suggestions?

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
to me, the only real enemy to DK are projectile whores like links and samus. hes pretty balanced against everyone else imo.

lol for gamestop launch tourney there were like 200 spectators for matches at mine. i picked DK spur of the moment when the guy said it everyone was like WHAT? I even heard some guys yell DK sucks!... that was all until i groundpounded -> hand clapped my way into the championship match, and by then i was a crowd pleasing favorite. to bad i got beat by link (the ******* played import for two weeks :p) in a sudden death in championship match

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Do we have a seperate topic for friend codes yet? Looking to play yall!

What up kyle. I'm puttin my **** on here later when I get home. I wanna get some in with you.

From my 2 matches using him so far DK looks BEAST. I love SA frames on giant punch and the speed of his nair and bair.

Kyle, short hop fair looks epic fail though. I assume you don't do that at all. No matter how quick I try to get it out in the air before landing so I can recover immediately DK always gets the "lying there helpless for a full second" animation.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Brahma- Check Match-up thread. =)

friend code thread lol/

Ripple- If those SA frames are THAT late, than I'm disappointed as this move is already a disjointed hitbox and the SA serves no additional purpose. I would like to see your vid sometime. =)

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I need more Pivot, sideB in my game. The ability to whiff moves in INSANE + it has better recovery than a Fsmash. I thin ki use too much Fsmash now...:psycho:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
use more up smash, thats my main way of kill

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
@Ripple- Glad to see ya on-line. :bee: Your DK is great and Ness really impressed me. My friend Tony kept phoning to shout "OH MY GAWD". Good times.

Using sideB as counter poke is AMAZING! Thanks for the tip on that one. Braham/

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I really liked that final kill when I was Ness against that bowser. pk thunder is surprisingly a very good option to kill people.

I just wish I could play you without so much lag for the small distance between us. then we could have a real match. I'll try to record some games later on to show my full potential when not online

daftsir

Smash Rookie
what about up toss? is much easier for me to grapple, cargo, utoss, then uair?

BUM163

Smash Lord
hey guys, glad 2 see sum dk players around. dk works differently, but has hidden tricks within him. he has good traits and bad just like any other character and works different this time around. yes i throw weeklys and tournaments at web2zone. if ya want more info just holla at me here. yes i still main dk and love him how he is.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, glad 2 see sum dk players around. dk works differently, but has hidden tricks within him. he has good traits and bad just like any other character and works different this time around. yes i throw weeklys and tournaments at web2zone. if ya want more info just holla at me here. yes i still main dk and love him how he is.
Hidden tricks?

BUM163

Smash Lord
yup. dk is good in this game. he's less combo friendly n more powerful. i will be goin 2 alot more tournies this time around. yup dk is still my main n ya will be surprise just like how i surprise people already.

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
So, I was playing DK against my brother's Lucario, and I accidentally deflected his aura sphere with a DK punch. I haven't been able to reproduce it though, even at half speed in training mode.

EDIT: I just realize that since items were on low, I may have just had the Franklin Badge without noticing. Sorry. :(

BUM163

Smash Lord
if anyone wants my friend code, private message me. i already have alot of people that challenge me everyday. just ask and i'll give it 2 u.

BUM163

Smash Lord
lol why do we have to do dk dittos? we can just play matches. in this game i play as everyone, but of course my main is dk. my aim name is oni163 or you can message me here and we can exchange friend codes. please if you use wi-fi only have your wii on so it wouldn't lag, unless your using a router that uses a wire like me.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Smash Tourney at FRXI in Atlants. I learned a lot or importants***.

-Pro's don't roll forward often.
-Ike's DI is good.
-ROB owns DK with laser/gear/Dsmash.

80 pre-registerd
~80 entries
I went out 4 & 2, placed top 16. =)

The Ike player was BearsRscary. He beat me hard. Ike pokes with Short hop Fair at tip and has enough DI to be safe on guards and parry at max range. It beat out Bair often and it took me way to long until I started running, parry, Fsmash. His crew gave him dirt for losing to BUM really really bad, and found it funny when I actually got a stock or two off of him. I've still got a ways to go until I'm pro at this game.

Bum- Did you play him in Melee of Brawl? I would like to learn some thing from you =)

Kyle~

BUM163

Smash Lord
i don't even know who u talkin about lol. i just play sumone from here 2day. it was good matches, if u wanna know how my dk is ask him.

J.L

Smash Ace
I played bum for quite a bit. His DK is monstrous! good matches overall, and i learned a few tricks about dk. Hope to play again sometime.

I actually have some replays of our dk dittos. man you kicked my ***. lol

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Just to restate for people who don't understand.

Marth, center in FD, 55%
sideB, DK Punch.
DK Wins.

BUM163

Smash Lord
lol if anyone wants 2 play me. just let me know. pm me or message me on aim which is oni163

Relldaproblem

Smash Cadet
What's the best follow up after a spot dodge?A throw,aa combo or dsmash?or iz there sumthing better?

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the damage, I prefer a Dsmash but if they are around 30-40% you can do Grapple, jab, jab, Cargo, Jumping Ftoss, Jumping Uair.

Top Bottom