• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
With the whole "sides" between King K Rool and Dixie back in the day of the poll ... my thoughts were this AND still are:

Hey, if Metroid can finally get its villain and appropriate Echo Fighter, Donkey Kong should get the same. Both franchises have sat at two reps for too long (although I'd argue that ZSS doesn't count as another rep) despite being some of Nintendo's longest-running and most revered franchises. It's about time they get their due. Though Dixie Kong would be harder as an Echo because she's more unique compared to Diddy Kong. At least Chrom shows that Echoes can borrow moves, so maybe give her Duck Hunt's Up-B or something with her own animation.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If he has to, or chooses to, she can be an Echo. (Holds up large object for protection of some fans.) However, I would like it if she was more like a semi-clone in the sense of Star Wolf and Luigi.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now that Metroid has been mentoined... Ridley was revealed before Dark Samus as well. Here's hoping there's a pattern. This does imply we might not get a unique Fire Emblem character however... a thing I think most od the community can live with.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I was pondering about this recently, but what if 103 stages really is are all we are getting? Sakurai made a point to tell us about this fact and how the total number of stages based on existing franchises (non-original to Smash) comes to a nice, neat 100. This is further evidenced by the fact that K. Rool did not get a Gang-Plank Galleon stage to coincide with his return. Any references to this arena were done on Wind Waker's Pirate Ship, as seen in his preview trailer on the site.

If this is the case, I feel that any newcomers who don't have their franchise represented by a stage already in Smash have less of a chance for the base game, especially third parties. Examples are Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, and Sora. Geno's an exception imo, because he is technically a Mario character and could be on a stage like Melee Yoshi's Island with SMRPG music. While Smash has introduced franchises without stages in the past (Ness and Falcon in 64, Marth/Roy in Melee, R.O.B. in Brawl), Smash 4 introduced a new stage for every new franchise and they could have just as easily left out a returning stage in favor of, say, a new Golden Sun stage for Isaac. Additionally, no new franchise from a third party has ever been added without a stage.

If all of this were the case, it would mean that characters from already represented franchises like Dixie, Bandanna Dee, and a new Pokémon would have less competition for a unique newcomer spot.

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I think him talking about Chrom and Dark Samus' popularity when being chosen is a great sign. By all intents and purposes Dixie is much more popular than either of them. I've got a lot o hope for this and I think it'll come to fruition.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey, if Metroid can finally get its villain and appropriate Echo Fighter, Donkey Kong should get the same. Both franchises have sat at two reps for too long (although I'd argue that ZSS doesn't count as another rep) despite being some of Nintendo's longest-running and most revered franchises. It's about time they get their due. Though Dixie Kong would be harder as an Echo because she's more unique compared to Diddy Kong. At least Chrom shows that Echoes can borrow moves, so maybe give her Duck Hunt's Up-B or something with her own animation.
I think the issue is I've seen some fans here feel Dixie should be unique as well, or at least not just an echo, so they wouldn't necessarily be happy with that.

Sucks because DK definitely warrants getting two unique fighters at once at this point.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I am a Fire Emblem fan, and I do agree we don't need any new unique FE characters. At most, I wouldn't mind the Black Knight as an Echo of Ike to add another antagonist to Smash.

As for stages, I do agree I don't see any "new" stages from established franchises. Granted, it would be nice, but I think it would be wise to focus those resources to any new coming character and franchise.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I think the issue is I've seen some fans here feel Dixie should be unique as well, or at least not just an echo, so they wouldn't necessarily be happy with that.

Sucks because DK definitely warrants getting two unique fighters at once at this point.
Dark Samus also should've been unique, because while she works as an Echo, she's actually very different from Samus. Just look at her Assist Trophy in 4; it has totally different moves.

All Echo Fighters should be their own characters with unique movesets, but it comes down to practicality. "Is this character popular and unique enough to warrant designing it from the ground up?" I honestly didn't believe Dark Samus would've been in the game at all if it weren't for Samus losing her Dark Samus alt color. Just not popular or relevant enough to warrant so much attention right now. Years ago, maybe, but Metroid Prime 3 turns 11 years old in a week. It's long past the point of when it would've been "prime time" for Dark Samus, so the fact that it's happening now is still a mystery.

StormC

Smash Hero
All Echo Fighters should be their own characters with unique movesets, but it comes down to practicality.
I agree, but I think there is some pushback here regardless from people who really hoped she could get in on her own merits. An echo isn't ideal, but I'd rather have that than not have Dixie in the game.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
There are already so many unique fighters, it would take almost a half-a time or twice the amount of time to create the game and even attempt to balance it. Before I was very against clones, echos, etc. but now I understand the practicality of it. It would almost be impossible to create every character in the game to be completely unique.

Now for Smash Ultimate, there is such a huge roster, I would be alright if a larger chunk of the "new characters" be echos or have other similarities to other established fighters. I'd be ok if there is DLC and it only allows for Echo fighters ... I'd take that over not having anything more.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Quick question. Would you guys be upset if Dixie did get in but was an echo of Diddy? Or are y'all cool with it as long as she gets in?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Dixie is going to be an echo of Diddy. Not a pure clone, but an echo in some capacity.

I'm just hoping it's a Chrom definition of echo. Or maybe even further

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
So based on the column released today:

103 stages is not confirmed to be the official number of stages. Sakurai only said that their goal was to reach 100 stages, but nowhere did he say its the final count. So I think its a possibility we can get the last six empty slots as stages.

Sakurai's comments on echo characters sort of boosted Dixie's chances of being an echo. Sakurai mentioned that echo's aren't just copy and paste characters, but they take 1/4 of the time it takes to make one character because they need to make modifications to their moveset, victory poses, and all the essentials that are needed to correlate with the character.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Folks, it's almost impossible the total count of new stages is 4, and that they showed us ALL stages so early.
There isb't really a big difference between 103 and 108, so it's totally possible Sakurai will show us some other stages even if he took the topic of exaggerate number of stages in august when he could show us only 103. And he could show us only 103 because the remaining are all for the next, last newcomers who have a stage (of course there could be some that won't have a stage because originating from already represented series)

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
So, we saw all stages at this point? Hard to believe, I don't see Castlevania as the last new franchise, there will be another brand new third party character or something for the last big shots. If Banjo, Isaac or Rayman are added there's no way for no stages for them, specially with the big care for details.
Just 4 new stages? He, sure.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I think Dixie is going to be an echo of Diddy. Not a pure clone, but an echo in some capacity.

I'm just hoping it's a Chrom definition of echo. Or maybe even further
Chrom opens up possibilities for Echo Fighters. I did watch a video in which ZeRO was focusing on the gameplay of Chrom during the Lucina/Chrom vs Dark Samus/Ridley fight. It does appear some of his standard attacks were like Lucina/Marth. Granted, we don't have a full game play of Roy to see if he was tweaked as well.

In other words, I am not sure of the exact parameters of what constitutes an Echo fighter and a Unique fighter, espeically since we see some returning characters of Pichu and Young Link. I hope they are tweaked a bit from their original fighters so they feel more unique.

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
All Echo Fighters should be their own characters with unique movesets, but it comes down to practicality. "Is this character popular and unique enough to warrant designing it from the ground up?"
Nothing against the echo fighters who we currently have, but I do believe that Dixie is popular enough, can be unique, and is more important to Nintendo than the other echoes. I think Sakurai heard the complaints about the amount of Fire Emblem characters, so I doubt Chrom was gonna be unique. I don't know too much about Dark Samus, but isn't "she" already kind of a clone(not in smash bros. terms) of Samus? So while she could have some unique moves, it makes sense why she'd be an echo. Richter already has some of his own moves in the game, and Sakurai said "it's hard to tell who's echoing who" with him and Simon. I think he was represented well. There weren't very many requests for Richter anyway, and I think he works well as an echo. Daisy really doesn't have any source material to pull moves from, and part of her character is the fact she's a princess who isn't Peach. You could create a unique moveset for anybody if you really wanted to, but Daisy really didn't have much going for her imo. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Lucina spends a decent amount of her game pretending to be Marth or something like that, so it makes sense that she'd have a similar fighting style. And Dark Pit is Pit's dopple-ganger, so it makes sense for him to echo Pit. Once again, I'll say that I have nothing against these characters, and I'm sure you could make a unique moveset for them if you wanted to, but they aren't as popular and don't have the history that Dixie does. Also, some of these characters I mentioned are "trying" to replicate the character they echo in their own games. Dixie isn't. Yes, she looks similar to Diddy, but her defining trait has always been her hair, and Diddy doesn't have that. I understand that an echo is probable, but I really don't think she should be.

Edit: If you see some of my information is incorrect, I apologize, and feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Quick question. Would you guys be upset if Dixie did get in but was an echo of Diddy? Or are y'all cool with it as long as she gets in?
Might be a little disappointed, but I'd be happy regardless. Even if Dixie gets in as an Echo for this game, there's always that chance for her to change and become "Luigified" down the road. Diddy could get some new moves or Dixie could get some of her own.

Wouldn't rule anything out after Ganondorf's sword.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Disappointed, but I'm still buying the game. Won't be playing as her though; in Melee when I unlocked Doc I didn't play as Mario afterwards, and since Diddy's my main and I have a lot of other characters that I use, I don't need another Diddy.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I agree echo Dixie is 100x better than NO Dixie. Dixie Kong is like the last character that I would legitimately be hyped for in Smash Ultimate now that K.Rool is confirmed and Krystal has been deconfirmed as an assist trophy. I got a few other characters that I think would be cool additions like Paper Mario or Bandana Dee but those would be more like "Hey cool their here too!" where as if Dixie was confirmed echo or not it would be "**** YEAH DIXIE IS HERE! HELL YEAH!" granted Dixie probably won't make me jump up and down, squeal, and cry like K.Rool did when he was announced but she sure as hell would be the closest character for me to do that too.

StormC

Smash Hero
Banjo-Kazooie and Dixie are my last two wants. Having the whole Rare crew reunited in Smash would be amazing.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
This does imply we might not get a unique Fire Emblem character however... a thing I think most od the community can live with.
I was thinking this as well. Series that get echo characters first probably won't get any unique ones. So Mario and Fire Emblem would be out, but it's just speculation.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie and Rayman are my last 2 legit requests. Crash and Banjo would turn this into my Dream Roster, but if I only get Dixie and Rayman, I'm done speculating. From that point onwards whoever I root for will be cool additions and fun what-ifs.

I'll start drawing up movesets for Ori & Sein, Master Chief, Sackboy, and finish my Ratchet and Clank ideas. It won't be for serious speculation either, just "this would be a cool moveset, dont'cha think?"

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Dixie is in a strange zone. Not among the most requested characters but maybe still more than the echoes we know.
Hope that she did well enough in the ballot to appear on Sakurai's radar.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
One idea I had for Dixie was that she doesn't use banana peels for her down-B but orange grenades instead that bounce three times before exploding. With her hair copter as a recovery and that grenade move and using her hair as grabs, that's enough to make her different from Diddy. I think she could be slower or lighter, but only in speed.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
If she is a move-for-move copy and has virtually no differentiating attributes, I'd be pretty disappointed overall. If she is an echo that has semi-clone qualities like some unique standards and modified specials based on her in-game abilities, I'll happily take it. If she is a Wolf style semi-clone where she's basically unique entirely and only shares her body structure and maybe some simple animations with Diddy, that would make me very happy indeed.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
One idea I had for Dixie was that she doesn't use banana peels for her down-B but orange grenades instead that bounce three times before exploding. With her hair copter as a recovery and that grenade move and using her hair as grabs, that's enough to make her different from Diddy. I think she could be slower or lighter, but only in speed.
I can't remember correctly since I haven't played DKC in years, but I think she is slightly faster than Diddy. Also she can maybe borrow DK's grab as well using her hair. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I can't remember correctly since I haven't played DKC in years, but I think she is slightly faster than Diddy. Also she can maybe borrow DK's grab as well using her hair. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Diddy is faster on the ground and when climbing. Dixie moves much further in the air thanks to her hair twirl. Having lower ground speed and better air speed than Diddy in Ultimate is how this should translate.

You're right about the cargo grab with her hair though.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
My reaction would be, "That's not Dixie." Call me petty, immature, whatever, but Dixie isn't "girl Diddy" to me and I will not be at all happy to see that happen to her.

I think people are really stretching it with all this pointing to Chrom and saying Dixie can be an echo with this and this and this changed. Chrom is Roy with one different move, and that one move is still taken directly from another character with a similar build and weapon. This doesn't mean echo fighters can have new moves, it means they can take from someone other than their original, but we still shouldn't assume anyone will get anymore than Chrom did.

Let it be known that I don't mind Dixie taking a few moves from Diddy...but only a few. Neutral, side, and down special, forward air and back air...but that's really it. Nothing else Diddy has I can see her doing and not think it would be really weird on her.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Tropical Freeze Dixie is a totally different Dixie personality wise to the original sadly, IMO.

SlayQueen

Smash Cadet
I think him talking about Chrom and Dark Samus' popularity when being chosen is a great sign. By all intents and purposes Dixie is much more popular than either of them. I've got a lot o hope for this and I think it'll come to fruition.
Agreed! That article definitely boosted her chances in my opinion. I can't wait to play as Dixie - positive thoughts everyone! She WILL be playable!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
My reaction would be, "That's not Dixie." Call me petty, immature, whatever, but Dixie isn't "girl Diddy" to me and I will not be at all happy to see that happen to her.

I think people are really stretching it with all this pointing to Chrom and saying Dixie can be an echo with this and this and this changed. Chrom is Roy with one different move, and that one move is still taken directly from another character with a similar build and weapon. This doesn't mean echo fighters can have new moves, it means they can take from someone other than their original, but we still shouldn't assume anyone will get anymore than Chrom did.

Let it be known that I don't mind Dixie taking a few moves from Diddy...but only a few. Neutral, side, and down special, forward air and back air...but that's really it. Nothing else Diddy has I can see her doing and not think it would be really weird on her.
We're on the same page with this. I'm seeing the Chrom example brought up so often that frankly I'm tired of challenging it, but the possibility of her not being an Echo still exists and bears repeating. A Dixie that doesn't grab with her hair and doesn't use hair attacks is very out of character. I'm really hoping those trophy descriptions and emphasis on hair use prevails in the end.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
How about Tiny Kong as an alt? (I'm sure there will be a blue shirt costume alt based off her, but I mean like Alph)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
How about Tiny Kong as an alt? (I'm sure there will be a blue shirt costume alt based off her, but I mean like Alph)
I think that hinges on Dixie's moveset, and how her hair's utilized. Tiny's using oversized pigtails while Dixie's got an oversized ponytail, so assuming the movesets based on hair attacks, it might not work unless Dixie only attacks by spinning. Obviously DK64 Tiny would be the alt, but personally I doubt they'd have her as one instead of just giving her the same color scheme. Also, Dixie runs on all fours while Tiny skips like a human.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I think that hinges on Dixie's moveset, and how her hair's utilized. Tiny's using oversized pigtails while Dixie's got an oversized ponytail, so assuming the movesets based on hair attacks, it might not work unless Dixie only attacks by spinning. Obviously DK64 Tiny would be the alt, but personally I doubt they'd have her as one instead of just giving her the same color scheme. Also, Dixie runs on all fours while Tiny skips like a human.
Shoot, then I hope she makes into the next DK game as a playable character so she becomes relevant again for a chance to become a character (which would have to be unique). Hopefully her being referenced in Mario Odyssey is a good hint.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I really liked your guys responses. They're honest, and not downright damning to Sakurai. I support Dixie Kong. I just had to make sure all of you guys were cool though.

Top Bottom