• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think Cranky should come after Dixie. He's a major character that is super recognizable.

And after Cranky, since Lanky will surely be revived soon, put him in the game 10 years from now.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I'd be fine with the DK side with Dixie in.
Even as a huge DK fan, I really don't think DK will need any more rep, it will be perfect.

Let the other series get the missing characters they need after that.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Cranky is a major character that stands out even among other series characters. Cranky is definitely "Bandana Waddle Dee" tier or "Ashley tier". Probably even more.

The original arcade DK? Playable in TF? In every single DKC game? Totally Smash Bros material. After Dixie, it's his turn.
After Dixie is cleared, the people will rise for Cranky.

It's just sad though, the DK series is backlogged. But Cranky totally qualifies as a Smash character.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
If Dixie got in I would probably go back to supporting Cranky and then after that I would never ask for another DK rep ever again.

D

Deleted member

Here's some ideas of reskinned moves Dixie could borrow from veterans if she ends up as an echo:

- Most of her moveset is based from :ultdiddy:'s with some derivations here and there, like the peanut popgun replaced by her gumball popgun from TF which slows down her opponents once fully charged.
- Her up-b, as I suggested earlier, is a reskin of :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:'s, when once initiated, Dixie rotates about herself before slowly falling back to the ground by still rotating her ponytail.
- Her double jump is :ultmewtwo:'s but reskinned, reaching the same height but with a different animation.
- Her dash attack could be :ultmegaman:'s, spinning around with her ponytail.
- Her f-tilt would be a shorter version of :ultmewtwo:'s.
- Her up-tilt is a reskin of :ultgreninja:, with the tongue replaced by her ponytail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So people at DKVine forums are saying that Nintendo is reintroducing the Donkey Kong series this year with the Rabbids DLC, the DKTF port, and potentially a new game next year. So perhaps that bodes well for Dixie's chances! (and more dlc character chances)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie will join this series. It's only a matter of time. She might already be in.

I do like Ellie the Elephant but for some reason I have seen many people hate her.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I wonder how far Sakurai got onto Dixie's character model/moveset back in Brawl, if he did enough work on her moveset hopefully that would mean less time taken to work on her.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
As for other reps, after Dixie, It would seem Cranky would be a nice addition. The easiest implementation I think would be to have Funky as an Echo of DK. Pretty much nothing much needs to change moves wise, but maybe his recovery animations is him spinning around his surfboard like in Tropical Freeze.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I actually see the DKC cast as being relatively compact, particularly since Chunky and Kiddy have been chucked out. If one didn't take Chunky into account (who does, really?), you'd have the DKC Smash roster round out as a reasonable 8 (DK, Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, Lanky, Tiny).

Dixie will join this series. It's only a matter of time. She might already be in.

I do like Ellie the Elephant but for some reason I have seen many people hate her.
Three words: fear of rats.

As for other reps, after Dixie, It would seem Cranky would be a nice addition. The easiest implementation I think would be to have Funky as an Echo of DK. Pretty much nothing much needs to change moves wise, but maybe his recovery animations is him spinning around his surfboard like in Tropical Freeze.
I can easily see him use his surfboard during the Spinning Kong equivalent.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't really see a need for the DK64 Kongs to be playable. Tiny, Lanky, and Chunky have never had major roles outside of their debut and it's pretty likely it will be a long time before we see them again. The next character after Dixie should definitely be Cranky, but he's not really urgent in the way Dixie is. It's like adding Rosalina or Bowser Jr. after establishing the core four Mario characters; good to expand the series, but not necessarily a main character.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, we should wait until Lanky returns in DK65.

I think when Lanky revives Crocodile Isle against Diddy and Dixie's wishes in a very emotional scene, the Lanky train will take off in 2021. Lanky Kong is a humanitarian. He honestly thinks Kongs and Kremlings should get along. I mean, he knows what it's like to be judged by your appearance. But the Kongs knew better than to cast Lanky away just because he looked like a Manky.

There are good Kremlings out there and K. Rool is a crappy leader forcing a lot of them to fight.

But maybe this is an awkward place to say this.

Fans of the hair-raising pony-tail island sinker may have different thoughts about whether Kremlings deserve a second chance.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Remember when we were wishing for a double K. Rool and Dixie reveal? Of course it wasn't the case. I know chances may be slim on this, but what if we do in fact get a double DK newcomer reveal in a Dixie and Funky trailer? In this case the primary focus would be on Dixie and Funky would be shown as DK's echo. Like I said it's a low chance of it happening but it can be very exciting for DK fans all around.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman

I think when Lanky revives Crocodile Isle against Diddy and Dixie's wishes in a very emotional scene, the Lanky train will take off in 2021. Lanky Kong is a humanitarian. He honestly thinks Kongs and Kremlings should get along. I mean, he knows what it's like to be judged by your appearance. But the Kongs knew better than to cast Lanky away just because he looked like a Manky.

There are good Kremlings out there and K. Rool is a crappy leader forcing a lot of them to fight.

Fans of the hair-raising pony-tail island sinker may have different thoughts about whether Kremlings deserve a second chance.
Is this honestly a subplot of DK64? I've never played that entry but maybe I should...

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

Real talk, this post would be right at home on DK Vine. (And I would know, I post there almost as often as this site)

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Remember when we were wishing for a double K. Rool and Dixie reveal? Of course it wasn't the case. I know chances may be slim on this, but what if we do in fact get a double DK newcomer reveal in a Dixie and Funky trailer? In this case the primary focus would be on Dixie and Funky would be shown as DK's echo. Like I said it's a low chance of it happening but it can be very exciting for DK fans all around.
That's literally too good to be true. While Sakurai did add K.Rool 5 games in when he should've been in Melee (along with Diddy) if we're being honest. Let's not act like Sakurai would've even contemplated adding him had it not been for the ballot and fan outcry. K.Rool would've still been locked in the trunk of Miyamoto's or Tanabe's car. So I highly doubt he would add 3 DK newcomers in one game, hell I think 2 DK newcomers is pushing it even though the series well deserves that many. Don't get it twisted I appreciate that K.Rool is added into the game and appreciate the love and attention Sakurai and the team have made on not only him but the actual game itself. But the back of my mind still feels there's a "DK bias" and while I REALLY do feel Dixie COULD have a shot and I would be LEGIT hyped if she was announced, I'm not gonna act like she's a shoe-in or anything of the sort (especially if internet polls have anything to say about it with Dixie being in the top 20 but near the bottom). Let's not forget we finally got our first DK assist trophy 5 games in...and we still don't know how big or what the music selection for the DK series is the time. We got an AMAZING Gangplank Galleon remix and DKC Medley but for all we know those could be the only new DK music tracks and the rest is 60 renditions of Jungle Hijinx. Not to mention they cut out 2 DK stages (though to be fair Rumble Falls nobody will miss as that stage is GARBO! Jungle Hijinx I admit is a little suspicious and maybe they bring it back with a fresh coat of ice over it and there's your Tropical Freeze stage). Anyway I didn't want to rain on your parade (even though you acknowledged it's a low chance of happening) I just wanted to give my two cents on the matter. I still feel Dixie is really at a 50/50 shot of getting in the game as either an echo or original fighter/semi-clone and I will no doubt be happy either way.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Don’t forget Donkey Kong was turned into a trophy for a majority of Subspace, and only has appeared on the Wii U and Ultimate box arts (barely for Ultimate). I don’t think Sakurai dislikes the series of course, just that he doesn’t care for it or views it as part of the Mario series. (Like how he treats the Wario and Yoshi series)
Not to mention how uninspiring the old series stages were. But hey, at least we had three stages in Melee.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai definitely used to consider DK a branch of Mario (being listed with Yoshi and Wario on Brawl's CSS, and the general lack of stages, music, and overall representation), but I think that has changed with the addition of King K. Rool. He, as a character, is basically a love letter to DKC1-3 and DK64. There's also the Klaptrap AT and the absolute banger that is the Gangplank Galleon remix.

Let's just hope that his newfound appreciation for DK goes far enough that we get Dixie as well. And then Lanky Kong, Tiny Kong, and Chunky Kong as a Pokemon Trainer type trio character paired with the announcement of Donkey Kong 128.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Don’t forget Donkey Kong was turned into a trophy for a majority of Subspace, and only has appeared on the Wii U and Ultimate box arts (barely for Ultimate). I don’t think Sakurai dislikes the series of course, just that he doesn’t care for it or views it as part of the Mario series. (Like how he treats the Wario and Yoshi series)
Not to mention how uninspiring the old series stages were. But hey, at least we had three stages in Melee.
I think the Rare buyout had a big impact on DK in Smash as well. Especially since we got only spinoff games for about a decade.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I'm really hoping we do get Dixie. I mean Sakurai HAS to be more than aware of her and the fact that she stared in her own game if he pulled K.Rool's recovery move from DKC3. It's not like she was an insignificant side character that only appeared once then disappeared. She is a main staple in the DK franchise. I would just be crushed at the fact that having her own game in the series wouldn't qualify her as a worthy all-star. I mean yeah it sold the least amount of copies of the DKC trilogy however it put up a darn good fight considering it came out on the tail end of the SNES' lifespan when everybody was making the jump to the N64. Urrggg... I'm going to be so sad if we don't get her.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man it would be so amazing to have the main 4 characters of DKC in Ultimate. Each with their own movesets, doing what they do best: DK as the Fist-to-Face bruiser, Diddy as the hyperactive combo kid, K. Rool as the powerful trickster, and Dixie as the tactical grappler. Ahh we're so close as is; just one more faithful addition to the DK series and I no longer need to wish for a Nintendo character. DKComplete!

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I still think 3DS limitations did Dixie in for 4.
Interesting theory. How exactly if you don't mind explaining. I know Diddy and Dixie were initially supposed to switch out tag-team style but are you saying that the 3DS probably couldn't handle it and if it could they would have switched Diddy from Solo to the original tag team idea? Now that I'm thinking about it was the 3DS the reason Pokemon trainer got changed to just Charizard and Zelda, and Shiek got separated? I'm sure the 3DS wasn't limited space wise because they seemed to be able to fit all the DLC characters on there just fine.

Meh, who knows!? I feel if the dev team wanted to run with the Diddy/Dixie tag-team idea then they definitely would have reimplemented this time since the switch doesn't seem to have any limitations. But yeah maybe they saw how awesome Diddy is as a stand-alone character in Brawl/Smash 4 and didn't want to change it. I definitely think Dixie deserves to be her own character so maybe this will work in our favor if everything goes well.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Sorry for double post but it's kinda urgent. I just found a poll that will be ending soon. Dixie could use a strong boost! She's in 13th place. Think we can fix that? The poll is a bit weird it will ask you which characters you prefer out of 2 listed just keep going cycling through the questions for a while because it's kinda recording your answers bracket style I think.

http://allourideas.org/FinalSmashUlimate

Edit: HECK YEAH! Good job everyone! She jumped to 8th place! She wasn't even high enough to be listed on page 1 when I first found this.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Interesting theory. How exactly if you don't mind explaining. I know Diddy and Dixie were initially supposed to switch out tag-team style but are you saying that the 3DS probably couldn't handle it and if it could they would have switched Diddy from Solo to the original tag team idea? Now that I'm thinking about it was the 3DS the reason Pokemon trainer got changed to just Charizard and Zelda, and Shiek got separated? I'm sure the 3DS wasn't limited space wise because they seemed to be able to fit all the DLC characters on there just fine.

Meh, who knows!? I feel if the dev team wanted to run with the Diddy/Dixie tag-team idea then they definitely would have reimplemented this time since the switch doesn't seem to have any limitations. But yeah maybe they saw how awesome Diddy is as a stand-alone character in Brawl/Smash 4 and didn't want to change it. I definitely think Dixie deserves to be her own character so maybe this will work in our favor if everything goes well.
3DS is why we lost the Ice Climbers though and why Olimar has less Pikmin, so perhaps it'd have an affect on a Kong tagteam too. As for the voting, thanks for sharing; I did it last night but I was annoyed by the "Would you rather" game it's operating on.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
On that note, what would be the proper dessert analogies for each of the prospective remaining Kongs?
This is just me, but my ideal DK roster would be:
Unique: DK, Diddy, Dixie, King K. Rool
Clones: Lord Fredrik (K. Rool), Cactus King (DK)
Echoes: Tiny, Kaptain K. Rool

The former would use his horn to shoot ice blasts as a B move with his B-Forward charging with his helmet on. B-Down is a ground pound. Whee.
Recovery can be him using two Hootz to fly in the air.

Cactus King is more or less DK but with his B move throwing a Pineapple Bomb and his recovery performing a jump combo like DK did in Jungle Beat. Otherwise, his remaining moves are more or less the same as DK.

For Tiny Kong, her oranges bounce three times before exploding compared to Dixie's simple blast upon contact and her bubblegun (Assuming Dixie uses it) is the feather crossbow. While Dixie floats upward with her hair and descends normally, Tiny propels upward and falls at an angle slowly.

Kaptain K. Rool: His cannonballs are spiky and I assume you can pick them up or pocket them with Villager. You can't touch these period, they'll hurt. B-Forward shoots a gas that either debuffs you or slows you down. Recovery move is the same and his B-Down is a shock trap that sets off when close by. Run animation would be his Blunderbuss jet with smooth transitioning from left to right. My take on this would also allow for his Baron K. Roolenstein alias as an alt while normal Rool gets the Krusha alias to keep in tune with his crown toss and boxing gloves, each with four colors.

Kinda greedy, but I'm a glutton. This would represent every corner of Donkey Kong Country and DK from Rare, the Buyout and Returns Era. Notable omission is from Arcade DK and you did mention Stanley the Bugman. I'd argue that Mario fits that position but I wouldn't complain if someone popped up from the Arcade Era, so long as Dixie gets in first and foremost.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I could see Lucina being one of the ones spared and made more unique but I'm all too certain that Dark Pit is toast and only got in this game because "Everyone is here." My predictions for Smash 6:

-Any third party Echos are gone.
-Any "dark" version of any character is gone.
-Any character that could be a mere color/skin swap will become or go back to being an ALT.

This being said, I would easily see Dixie being one of the ones surviving the Reaping™.
I could see Dark Samus surviving; cause she could be made pretty unique

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
3DS is why we lost the Ice Climbers though and why Olimar has less Pikmin, so perhaps it'd have an affect on a Kong tagteam too. As for the voting, thanks for sharing; I did it last night but I was annoyed by the "Would you rather" game it's operating on.
Actually the Pikmin thing was for balance. Having six Pikmin was borderline broken in Brawl because of Pikmin Toss stacking damage stupid fast. The Pikmin being random also reduced the character's consistency. So they gave the Pikmin an order, then reduced the amount to make them easier to manage and nerf Pikmin Toss.

But you're right about Ice Climbers.

Oh and I'll participate in that poll too.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Sorry for double post but it's kinda urgent. I just found a poll that will be ending soon. Dixie could use a strong boost! She's in 13th place. Think we can fix that? The poll is a bit weird it will ask you which characters you prefer out of 2 listed just keep going cycling through the questions for a while because it's kinda recording your answers bracket style I think.

http://allourideas.org/FinalSmashUlimate

Edit: HECK YEAH! Good job everyone! She jumped to 8th place! She wasn't even high enough to be listed on page 1 when I first found this.
So I checked the poll again and Dixie jumped up to 7th! We pulled her up from 13th place! I don't think the poll will be super accurate because I noticed it asks about some characters more often than others however I just wanted to use this as an awesome example to show that we can accomplish so much when we work together as a team! Let's keep the hype train rolling in any way we can. We are doing great! Gotta show our buddy Dix ain't playing around.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So I checked the poll again and Dixie jumped up to 7th! We pulled her up from 13th place! I don't think the poll will be super accurate because I noticed it asks about some characters more often than others however I just wanted to use this as an awesome example to show that we can accomplish so much when we work together as a team! Let's keep the hype train rolling in any way we can. We are doing great! Gotta show our buddy Dix ain't playing around.
The poll also endlessly asks about the same comparisons too. I got Isaac vs Skull Kid three times. I'm assuming each time I place one ahead of the other counts as a vote somehow, making the results pretty inconsistent. But hey, we're putting in the effort still, and that should amount to something.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Exactly! The goal here is if Dixie misses the base roster she'd be more than ready to jump on the DLC express in the chance it comes around. I think if we just keep a strong presence and keep supporting we can make a bold statement to the devs. I know they used the ballot to take choices from but hey you never know what else they may be looking at. Anything is worth a shot.

Spatman

Smash Ace
That's literally too good to be true. While Sakurai did add K.Rool 5 games in when he should've been in Melee (along with Diddy) if we're being honest. Let's not act like Sakurai would've even contemplated adding him had it not been for the ballot and fan outcry. K.Rool would've still been locked in the trunk of Miyamoto's or Tanabe's car. So I highly doubt he would add 3 DK newcomers in one game, hell I think 2 DK newcomers is pushing it even though the series well deserves that many. Don't get it twisted I appreciate that K.Rool is added into the game and appreciate the love and attention Sakurai and the team have made on not only him but the actual game itself. But the back of my mind still feels there's a "DK bias" and while I REALLY do feel Dixie COULD have a shot and I would be LEGIT hyped if she was announced, I'm not gonna act like she's a shoe-in or anything of the sort (especially if internet polls have anything to say about it with Dixie being in the top 20 but near the bottom). Let's not forget we finally got our first DK assist trophy 5 games in...and we still don't know how big or what the music selection for the DK series is the time. We got an AMAZING Gangplank Galleon remix and DKC Medley but for all we know those could be the only new DK music tracks and the rest is 60 renditions of Jungle Hijinx. Not to mention they cut out 2 DK stages (though to be fair Rumble Falls nobody will miss as that stage is GARBO! Jungle Hijinx I admit is a little suspicious and maybe they bring it back with a fresh coat of ice over it and there's your Tropical Freeze stage). Anyway I didn't want to rain on your parade (even though you acknowledged it's a low chance of happening) I just wanted to give my two cents on the matter. I still feel Dixie is really at a 50/50 shot of getting in the game as either an echo or original fighter/semi-clone and I will no doubt be happy either way.
But we have to be honest: yes, Sakurai made us waiting a bit too much for K Rool, but there were reasons to add characters added in previous iterations and it's impossible to add all characters and to make everyone happy. And there is a topic (in k rool subforum) that gives us a leak that says that Nintendo didn't have idea k rool was so popular before the ballot.
In fact, it doesn't matter that Sakurai gave us k rool ONLY because of fans' support and requests, because in everygame Sakurai tries to add the most popular and requested characters! (So it's only right). Indeed, there have been some exceptions, but again, not all characters could be included in a single game, and it's only right, again, to dedicate some peculiar characters to every game in the series.

Returning to the leak topic in k rool subforum: the bias against DKC seems to be a peculiar bias of Miyamoto. Miyamoto is a genius, but nowadays he's old and so are many his ideas, and unluckily it seems some of his flaws are getting worse: for example the notorius envy for DKC snes trilogy and contempt of that. The problem is that Miyamoto is still very influent in Nintendo, and in fact we have seen during all these years (also but not only in smash) how much DKC series hasn't been enough valued, despite the fact it is one of the most important, storic, beloved Nintendo series and one of the ones that sell the most in its story

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Did anyone saw that video from sourcegaming?
Very interesting..... i know we all want unique Dixie and i dont want to start again this topic.
But the topic here is how is possible to Dixie to be an echo or semi-echo?
For me its 5:30 that is more interesting

im sure you saw it already but well... better late than nothing for me.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Very interesting..... i know we all want unique Dixie and i dont want to start again this topic.

Pretty sure most of us are prepared to embrace semi-clone Dixie. I think it's a stretch for him to say that she can ONLY be in as a semi-clone because that's clearly not true.

He also ignores the situation with Wolf, where despite being a "last second" character himself, and sharing a basic build and "silhouette" with Fox, his moveset is completely unique, with even his specials being vastly different despite being loose derivatives. His video makes the implication that a Wolf-type newcomer could never happen again.

His video also makes bold claims and was created before the game was even officially revealed. He makes a very broad statement that "only distinct heavy hitters like Inkling will get in" , when at the time, Inkling was literally the only thing we knew about Ultimate. He's already been proven wrong, as we've seen four echoes before we've seen all the unique newcomers, when he suggested they would all be shown near the end just because that's what happened in Smash 4.

His video is not horribly flawed, but it's nothing we don't already know and his ideas have already been heavily considered on here. Everyone still thinks too black and white about newcomers. They either need to be insanely unique or a complete copy. Nothing in between is being treated as a possibility. This whole "Echo Dixie" ordeal operates off of the idea that she has no chance unless she's Diddy's mirror. And I just don't think that's true.

Obviously he's accepting of a semi-clone Dixie in his video, but he's basically saying she deserves only as much effort as a standard Echo. Give her unique moves ONLY when Diddy's can't work, rather than because she deserves to have several unique moves taken from her game. It's the wrong mentality. And his idea of a semi-clone is only a nod off of a complete Echo. Though he at least acknowledges her Dash attack and hair grab.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Yes, I hate that video
And I find a little delirious the idea of clones, silhouettes and so on it says, and the way it's intended and explained

But I feel too that Dixie will likely be an echo and until now ALL echoes are mirrors of their source. Let's be honest: a single special move taken from another character means nothing, and the most different echo until now is Dark Samus, whose only differences are animations.

Still I'd LOVE a Dixie semiclone between Diddy and DK with only a couple of unique moves. It's exactly how I'd do her, because it's only natural she share similarities with 2 other characters who are similar animals to her and plus her buddies and people she lives with

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
What I want in the next DK Country game is to be able to jump on treetops again like in Country and Land.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Yes, we saw it. I made a twitter, tweeted Source Gaming and showed them my moveset and this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom