• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I have a gut feeling we’ll get about 4-5 more unique fighters due to the average amount of newcomers we get every game. I definitely think there’s no way Dixie didn’t make it in as the only ones left that are truly above her in popularity would be BD, Isaac, and Geno. And that’s kind of pushing it, seeing as BD and Geno are definitely more likely than Isaac, as I’m sure there’s only so many dead characters Sakurai will add. Even if she’s not unique or at least a semi-clone, she has the advantage of being able to be made as an echo of diddy with some different moves.
Yeah, it's definitely never been a rule that only one unique fighter per franchise is allowed, and even if we have less fighters this time around I don't see why that would change. Especially since K Rool and Dixie are nothing alike, and she's also popular, relevant and has moveset potential. Dixie stands on her own as a potential newcomer

edit: I just realized this was an older post, I'm dumb but the point is still true lol

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Nonetheless it's kinda suspicious they haven't shown Diddy's rapid jab,his final smash and the pink costume yet, isn't it? I'm full of hope that Dixie is in the game. I wouldn't mind a mix of DK/Diddy echo version.
She could use DK's up b (it's taken from her anyways)
DK's down b (she uses that move in Tropical Freeze)
Diddy's neutral b (bubblegum pop-gun)
Diddy's side b with some minor tweaks
Cargo throws like DK but with using her hair instead, that would be really Nice
I'm unsure about her final smash though, do all echo fighters share their final smash with the original character they are based on?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Nonetheless it's kinda suspicious they haven't shown Diddy's rapid jab,his final smash and the pink costume yet, isn't it? I'm full of hope that Dixie is in the game. I wouldn't mind a mix of DK/Diddy echo version.
She could use DK's up b (it's taken from her anyways)
DK's down b (she uses that move in Tropical Freeze)
Diddy's neutral b (bubblegum pop-gun)
Diddy's side b with some minor tweaks
Cargo throws like DK but with using her hair instead, that would be really Nice
I'm unsure about her final smash though, do all echo fighters share their final smash with the original character they are based on?
Dark pit still has his staff final smash so no, plus it would be a shame to not use dixie's guitar, especially seeing as DK no longer uses his bongos

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think Dixie's guitar will probably be her taunt to be honest.
I think it could be a taunt, victory animation or final smash. Or even all 3. Besides as far as final smashes go Dixie doesn't have much to go on, I could perfectly imagine her playing her guitar and sending out shockwaves of pink staffs (is that what they're called? the lines with the music notes? whatever) to blast away opponents

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I would love to see Dixie using her guitar but I don't know, that would may be to much for an echo. Actually we would rather have her as an original Fighter, wouldn't we?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I would love to see Dixie using her guitar but I don't know, that would may be to much for an echo. Actually we would rather have her as an original Fighter, wouldn't we?
We absolutely would! And there's no reason she shouldn't be. besides even if she's an echo Diddy's final smash would make absolutely no sense for her and would need to be changed just like Chrom and Dark Pit have.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
A big reason I want Dixie in is that honestly SHE is the true rival to K. Rool. DK and Diddy have been bested by K. Rool twice now and Dixie saved DK twice and Diddy once from K. Rool. K. Rool has never captured or beaten Dixie so they have some unfinished business that should be resolved in Smash.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I know I'm being greedy right now, but I want more Information. I wanna know who the remaining fighters are. I'm so happy K.rool got in and that it seems dk is getting more love this time. But who knows when Dixie will be announced (if she's in the game at all). I just don't want to wait anymore

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
A big reason I want Dixie in is that honestly SHE is the true rival to K. Rool. DK and Diddy have been bested by K. Rool twice now and Dixie saved DK twice and DIddy once form K. Rool. K. Rool has never captured or beaten Dixie so they have some unfinished business that should be resolved in Smash.
Ugh, queen of destroying gender roles

I know I'm being greedy right now, but I want more Information. I wanna know who the remaining fighters are. I'm so happy K.rool got in and that it seems dk is getting more love this time. But who knows when Dixie will be announced (if she's in the game at all). I just don't want to wait anymore
Considering we already got a dk character then if she's unique she'll probably be one of the last, if an echo she'll probably be next tbh. There's only 4 months left though, we haven't got to wait too long, plus they're revealing everyone before the game comes out which is nice.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
A big reason I want Dixie in is that honestly SHE is the true rival to K. Rool. DK and Diddy have been bested by K. Rool twice now and Dixie saved DK twice and DIddy once form K. Rool. K. Rool has never captured or beaten Dixie so they have some unfinished business that should be resolved in Smash.
Yeah, that's true QUEEN status right there! You go guuuuurl! More women should be inspired to be like Dixie.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Ugh, queen of destroying gender roles

Considering we already got a dk character then if she's unique she'll probably be one of the last, if an echo she'll probably be next tbh. There's only 4 months left though, we haven't got to wait too long, plus they're revealing everyone before the game comes out which is nice.
4 months aren't that long considering we have been waiting for ages now, but the wait will be for nothing if she's not in the game. If that's the case I will stop my study to become a teacher and I will spend the rest of my life somewhere in a jungle without media and electricity and everything else that's comfortable :-D

Last edited:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Now that im thinking about it I think that's my main attachment to Dixie. Growing up as a girl playing video games I was kinda rubbed the wrong way because a lot of games and some movies too featured the girl having to be saved. Thinking that was a norm I kinda hated being a girl until I played DKC2! Dixie rocked my world and made me feel more confident in myself as a kid. I hope thats not a weird reason to like a character.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Now that im thinking about it I think that's my main attachment to Dixie. Growing up as a girl playing video games I was kinda rubbed the wrong way because a lot of games and some movies too featured the girl having to be saved. Thinking that was a norm I kinda hated being a girl until I played DKC2! Dixie rocked my world and made me feel more confident in myself as a kid. I hope thats not a weird reason to like a character.
That's what I loved about her too! When I was a kid I was honestly annoyed by most female characters in videogames but Dixie was sooo cool! She immediately became not only my favorite character of the dkc series but also my favorite among female characters in general. It was so funny that dk and diddy both got kidnapped by k.rool and she was the only one defeating him twice without being captured.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone seem so settled accepting Dixie as an Echo? She is important enough, and definitely more so than all the other Echos currently revealed, none of whom I believe had a chance to make it in as unique. Dixie is in a different league.

I am hopeful that she will be unique, if only borrowing assets from Diddy. She DESERVES her own trailer and not just a random mention in the middle of a direct.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Why does everyone seem so settled accepting Dixie as an Echo? She is important enough, and definitely more so than all the other Echos cuurently revealed, whom I believe had no chance to make it in as unique. Dixie is in a different league.

I am hopeful that she will be unique. She DESERVES her own trailer and not just a random mention in the middle of a direct.
This, there's reasons the echoes are echoes.
Lucina - Lack of moveset potential
Dark Pit - There are more notable characters in his series that would be in before a unique Dark Pit
Richter - Duh
Dark Samus - Lack of relevance/no future with medicore popularity
Chrom - Lack of moveset potential and little relevance, people already hate how many FE characters we have
Daisy - More notable characters in the Mario series that would be in before a unique Daisy

Meanwhile Dixie is important, essentially being next in line as far as DK characters go, she's relevant with Tropical Freeze, she's got moveset potential and she's probably more popular than all our current echoes combined.

Dixie very well could and should be a unique character and there's no rule that says only one unique newcomer per series is allowed.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
This, there's reasons the echoes are echoes.
Lucina - Lack of moveset potential
Dark Pit - There are more notable characters in his series that would be in before a unique Dark Pit
Richter - Duh
Dark Samus - Lack of relevance/no future with medicore popularity
Chrom - Lack of moveset potential and little relevance, people already hate how many FE characters we have
Daisy - More notable characters in the Mario series that would be in before a unique Daisy

Meanwhile Dixie is important, essentially being next in line as far as DK characters go, she's relevant with Tropical Freeze, she's got moveset potential and she's probably more popular than all our current echoes combined.

Dixie very well could and should be a unique character and there's no rule that says only one unique newcomer per series is allowed.
Thank you! I am frankly tired of reading again and again the same thing about Dixie being an Echo, when she is clearly deserving of a unique spot, or a semi-clone at worst (see: Lucas)

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Oh my goodness! We are almost to page 40! I love how much more interactive this support thread has been since the direct! This barrel is lit!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
This is exactly what Dixie was for me too. In my early gaming days picking there weren't many cases in which you could both play as a girl character AND be as capable as the male characters. I remember for a long time I even had the headcanon that Tails was a girl because I liked how I could play as Tails and do something Sonic couldn't do (fly). The only other case I got to play as a girl was Peach in SMB2, but then after this game Peach was still the princess that needed rescuing and it kept me as a whole from liking princess characters.

But then you have DKC2 introducing Dixie and it was huge for me. Not only did I get to pick a girl character and feel awesome, all the other kids also argued over how good of a character she was. I also liked the thing where she was introduced as Diddy's girlfriend, but instead of always needing to be saved by him or him going on an adventure while dixie waited, they BOTH went and worked together to accomplish their goal. Then DKC3 flips it and it's Dixie who needs to save DK and Diddy.

In terms of iconic women in gaming, I see a lot of Lara Croft and Samus Aran, but for my childhood it was Dixie Kong. She was girly AND she rocked while being so.

Why does everyone seem so settled accepting Dixie as an Echo? She is important enough, and definitely more so than all the other Echos currently revealed, none of whom I believe had a chance to make it in as unique. Dixie is in a different league.

I am hopeful that she will be unique, if only borrowing assets from Diddy. She DESERVES her own trailer and not just a random mention in the middle of a direct.
I think we shouldn't be seeing echoes as less important characters, but moreso just as development shortcuts being taken by a rather overworked set of developers.

Simply put, Dixie's skeleton and set of abilities is so close to the other Kongs that it makes sense to re-use their assets in order to be able to give us Dixie in the same game as K. Rool. Deeming Dixie too important to be efficient would just mean dropping her because of her moveset and silhouette not being unique enough or because of lack of resources that go into other unique newcomers.

Basically, it's not a game of who deserves to be a newcomer or an echo, but of which characters can be made echoes in order to please the fans and lessen the workload in order to include more fighters than we thought possible.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
That’s nonsense! Echos can have unique taunts and victory animations... though Diddy doesn’t have his boom box

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I think we shouldn't be seeing echoes as less important characters, but moreso just as development shortcuts being taken by a rather overworked set of developers.

Simply put, Dixie's skeleton and set of abilities is so close to the other Kongs that it makes sense to re-use their assets in order to be able to give us Dixie in the same game as K. Rool. Deeming Dixie too important to be efficient would just mean dropping her because of her moveset and silhouette not being unique enough or because of lack of resources that go into other unique newcomers.

Basically, it's not a game of who deserves to be a newcomer or an echo, but of which characters can be made echoes in order to please the fans and lessen the workload in order to include more fighters than we thought possible.
The current Echos are important, yes, but as I mentioned, they were most likely ONLY considered and added because they COULD be Echoes. If Lucina wasn't so easy to implement, she would not be in. Sakurai said she was lucky she did. Same thing with Dark Pit. Look at the newer ones: Richter, Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus. They're all popular, yeah, but I frankly don't see them making it into the game as non-Echoes: they only did because they are popular enough AND share assets with existing characters.

Unlike all other Echoes, Dixie Kong is as fundamental as K. Rool to the DK series, and should be considered to be playable in the game from that point of view. That is, implementing her in the most loyal and beneficial way to the character. I completely fail to see Sakurai seeing Dixie and refusing to acknowledge the potential of a hair-based moveset in favor of an Echo to fill a character quota. I just can't. Also, re-using Diddy's assets doesn't mean she has to be a full Echo. Note that by full Echo I mean 90%+ of moves being shared and exactly the same as Diddy. That is what I'm arguing against. Go and carefully observe Diddy Kong's moveset in Smash 4 and think how bad Dixie would look kicking and punching for most of her moves.

And I completely disagree with your last statement. I believe all characters were judged and analyzed on their own strengths and weaknesses, completely independent of each other. I do not believe fully deserving characters would be made into Echoes for the simple reason that they can be Echoes in order to increase the roster size and please everyone. Definitely not when it involves removing a defining trademark from such a deserving character.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The current Echos are important, yes, but as I mentioned, they were most likely ONLY considered and added because they COULD be Echoes. If Lucina wasn't so easy to implement, she would not be in. Sakurai said she was lucky she did. Same thing with Dark Pit. Look at the newer ones: Richter, Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus. They're all popular, yeah, but I frankly don't see them making it into the game as non-Echoes: they only did because they are popular enough AND share assets with existing characters.

Dixie Kong is as fundamental as K. Rool to the DK series, and should be considered to be playable in the game from that point of view. That is, implementing her in the most loyal and beneficial way to the character. I completely fail to see Sakurai seeing Dixie and refusing to acknowledge the potential of a hair-based moveset in favor of an Echo to fill a character quota. I just can't. Also, re-using Diddy's assets doesn't mean she has to be a full Echo. Note that by full Echo I mean 90%+ of moves being shared and exactly the same as Diddy. That is what I'm arguing against. Go and carefully observe Diddy Kong's moveset in Smash 4 and think how bad Dixie would look kicking and punching for most of her moves.

And I completely disagree with your last statement. I believe all characters were judged and analyzed on their own strengths and weaknesses, completely independent of each other. I do not believe fully deserving characters would be made into Echoes for the simple reason that they can be Echoes in order to increase the roster size and please everyone. Definitely not when it involves removing a defining trademark from such a deserving character.
Still don't think you see where I'm going. You're seeing the development process from the perspective of character importance, design, and all that jazz. Which is definitely a factor in the process, BUT not the only one.

What I'm saying is we need to be looking at these things from the production perspective. If so much time and money is going into getting every single veteran in this game back, that logically cuts into how much newcomer presence can actually remain. This means that the bar for newcomers is unusually high, which is why every unique newcomer we have seen so far is absurdly significant.

With this in mind, regardless of how many designers/artists FEEL that Dixie would not fight in the same way as Diddy, there is no reason for production to prioritize her inclusion as a unique fighter over the logic of making her an echo and, as a result, opening up time and resources for other characters.

You say how bad it would look for Dixie to be moving like Diddy. You don't think it's weird to see Dark Samus fight like Samus does despite having completely different moves in her game? Despite that, Dark Samus fans still are able to have her playable. If someone in development had gone "No, Dark Samus cannot be playable UNLESS she's unique and truly represents Dark Samus", then there's no way she would have made the roster... because, simply put, she would have not been as huge a priority as Ridley or K. Rool or Simon.

And it's not even that bad. It makes sense logistically to see Dixie fighting like Diddy, because even in DKC2 they had their similarities. Moreso recently in Tropical Freeze where Dixie is picking stuff up with her hands as well and has a gun much like Diddy's.

Sakurai, as a game director concerned with other things like budgets and time, would have to be mental to discard the possibility of Dixie as an echo because of her "being too unique", and as a result dooming her inclusion or the availability of resources for inclusion of other unique fighters. I don't see why we as fans have to be so idealistic to how important Dixie is to the point where it detracts from the fact that as an echo fighter she would be equally significant an addition and would be just as fun to play as.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Still don't think you see where I'm going. You're seeing the development process from the perspective of character importance, design, and all that jazz. Which is definitely a factor in the process, BUT not the only one.

What I'm saying is we need to be looking at these things from the production perspective. If so much time and money is going into getting every single veteran in this game back, that logically cuts into how much newcomer presence can actually remain. This means that the bar for newcomers is unusually high, which is why every unique newcomer we have seen so far is absurdly significant.

With this in mind, regardless of how many designers/artists FEEL that Dixie would not fight in the same way as Diddy, there is no reason for production to prioritize her inclusion as a unique fighter over the logic of making her an echo and, as a result, opening up time and resources for other characters.

You say how bad it would look for Dixie to be moving like Diddy. You don't think it's weird to see Dark Samus fight like Samus does despite having completely different moves in her game? Despite that, Dark Samus fans still are able to have her playable. If someone in development had gone "No, Dark Samus cannot be playable UNLESS she's unique and truly represents Dark Samus", then there's no way she would have made the roster... because, simply put, she would have not been as huge a priority as Ridley or K. Rool or Simon.

And it's not even that bad. It makes sense logistically to see Dixie fighting like Diddy, because even in DKC2 they had their similarities. Moreso recently in Tropical Freeze where Dixie is picking stuff up with her hands as well and has a gun much like Diddy's.

Sakurai, as a game director concerned with other things like budgets and time, would have to be mental to discard the possibility of Dixie as an echo because of her "being too unique", and as a result dooming her inclusion or the availability of resources for inclusion of other unique fighters. I don't see why we as fans have to be so idealistic to how important Dixie is to the point where it detracts from the fact that as an echo fighter she would be equally significant an addition and would be just as fun to play as.
Having Dixie as an echo would severely disservice the character and all the fans that want her BECAUSE she’s unique. It wouldn’t feel like Dixie at all if she controls the same as diddy. Using Dark Samus for comparison is a bad example regardless of the situation, because more people actually want Dixie and are more long term smash fans anyway. If Dixie got in she’d be unique, or at least a semi-clone, not an echo. Like many people have said, the characters that are echoes exist because IT WORKS. Just go look at Diddy’s moveset and tell me you want to screw both characters over when that moveset doesn’t remotely work for dixie. It goes completely against her character, which is why she has to be unique. Besides, seeing as Sakurai is a stickler for details, it would probably hurt him more to include her as an echo, than not have her in at all.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

The whole character plan was proposed in one go. Time constraints appear as development goes. Dixie, if she is in, was likely decided to be unique or not when the character plan was made, so her development time, if any, is not taking from anything else. This is the point I'm trying to make: character importance and priorities were decided in one go and ONLY under exceptional circumstances a unique character would be downgraded to an Echo. From this point of view, I fail to see the developers sitting down in 2015 and thinking they should make Dixie an Echo to free character space and save development time. They judged their importance back then and that was a deciding factor on whether she would make it in and in what form.

You are judging this from the point of view of "oh she can be an Echo, so let's make her one to free time to make room for more unique fighters". In your own way, you are also prioritizing character importance. Make room for more unique fighters? You imply there that other characters do deserve to be unique. There are not many absurdly significant (Nintendo) characters that deserve to be in. Dixie definitely does, so why can't she be unique? Why does her moveset potential has to be sacrificed in order for someone else to make it into the game? She can be unique because she has moveset potential and is important, popular, requested and relevant enough to be so, independently of how important other characters are.

And again, you cannot compare her to the other Echos. None of them have contributed as much to their respective series as Dixie Kong has. Echoes are added to increase the roster size with popular, yet not overly significant characters, and their fans should be happy they were included. If assets were not shared with other characters, they wouldn't have made it. Dixie Kong is not like any of these, and her being considered for Brawl is proof of this.

Let's agree to disagree :)

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
K. Rool opens the door for Dixie. K. Rool got in based in part on the love and memory for the original DKC trilogy (and 64). Dixie was a big part of those games and I think fans who emphasize Dixie being "relevant" sometimes do a disservice to the legacy Dixie carries. Dixie wasn't a thing starting Tropical Freeze. Even if Dixie wasn't in TF, she still deserved to get in. She's a protagonist in 2/3 of one of Nintendo's most well known platformers. There's a lot of love for Dixie and a lot of love comes from the love for those old games.

I expect to see her in this game!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Having Dixie as an echo would severely disservice the character and all the fans that want her BECAUSE she’s unique. It wouldn’t feel like Dixie at all if she controls the same as diddy. Using Dark Samus for comparison is a bad example regardless of the situation, because more people actually want Dixie and are more long term smash fans anyway. If Dixie got in she’d be unique, or at least a semi-clone, not an echo. Like many people have said, the characters that are echoes exist because IT WORKS. Just go look at Diddy’s moveset and tell me you want to screw both characters over when that moveset doesn’t remotely work for dixie. It goes completely against her character, which is why she has to be unique. Besides, seeing as Sakurai is a stickler for details, it would probably hurt him more to include her as an echo, than not have her in at all.
Seems like using Dark Samus is a bad example in this case because you care about Dixie and not Dark Samus, honestly. You seem to imply that Dixie fans are true smash fans but Dark Samus fans aren't, sounds a bit rude to Dark Samus fans tbh.

Also, I stand by the fact that Dixie as an echo actually works pretty well. With a bubble gum gun that doesn't charge but shoots quickly, hair gliding as a double jump and DK's Up B except with her hair spin from DKC2, and a grab like DK's except picking up with hair... I don't see how it's so insulting of Dixie for her to jump at people, spike at people and kick at people like Diddy.

Sakurai IS a stickler for details, but he's also a game director. You're talking about the man that added Ganondorf as a clone of Captain Falcon just to be able to add Ganondorf and please his fans. On that note

The whole character plan was proposed in one go. Time constraints appear as development goes. Dixie, if she is in, was likely decided to be unique or not when the character plan was made, so her development time, if any, is not taking from anything else. This is the point I'm trying to make: character importance and priorities were decided in one go and ONLY under exceptional circumstances a unique character would be downgraded to an Echo. From this point of view, I fail to see the developers sitting down in 2015 and thinking they should make Dixie an Echo to free character space and save development time. They judged their importance back then and that was a deciding factor whether she would make it in and in what form.

You are judging this from the point of view of "oh she can be an Echo, so let's make her one to free time to make room for more unique fighters". In your own way, you are also prioritizing character importance. Make room for more unique fighters? You imply there that other characters do deserve to be unique. There are not many absurdly significant (Nintendo) characters that deserve to be in. Dixie definitely does, so why can't she be unique? Why does her moveset potential has to be sacrificed in order for someone else to make it into the game? She can be unique because she has moveset potential and is important, popular, requested and relevant enough to be so.

And again, you cannot compare her to the other Echos. None of them have contributed as much to their respective series as Dixie Kong has. Echoes are added to increase the roster size with popular, yet not overly significant characters, and their fans should be happy they were included. If assets were not shared with other characters, they wouldn't have made it. Dixie Kong is not like any of these, and her being considered for Brawl is proof of this, the plan of which did not consider Tropical Freeze and was likely heavily weighted on her contributions to the DKC era.

Let's agree to disagree :)
Character plan being proposed in one go doesn't mean they won't consider factors like time, cost, nor does it mean that the plan they set out in 2015 went to swimmingly well that EVERYTHING in it happened exactly as planned.
Believe me, I say this as someone who works in the game industry... Game Design plans change A TON over the course of years. It's why we had Robin and not Chrom. It's why the Gematsu leak from Smash 4 wound up being inaccurate. It's why there were a group of forbidden 7 in Brawl.

It also makes no sense to assume that as they were looking at the game plan and looking at the poll, they didn't realize just how many characters could be echos and set apart a bunch of them to include in the game as lower priority IF time and money allows. Again, this happens a ton in the game industry, features and ideas that get tossed, put into a document, and only if time allows they happen, otherwise they get punted.

Lastly, you keep going back to "but Dixie is more important than other echoes"... but, AGAIN, that's not what this is about. This is about being realistic as to how these decisions are made. It also makes us sound like blind fans if we act like our character is the most important ever, like no one ever was... Did you know how huge Chrom was to Fire Emblem and reviving that series? Do you know how few people outside of Nintendo circles know about Dixie versus how many of them recognize Daisy because of Mario Kart? We're speculating on who's more important or meaningful based on what WE know about these characters, but maybe that's just not reflected in the greater gaming community.

I think it'd be healthy for people in this thread to start realizing that while Dixie may be a huge deal to us and while she may grow in fan desire post-K. Rool, this attitude that she's too important to be an echo is a bit lofty, and detrimental to the fact that if she makes in it as an echo that should be a better outcome than her not making it in because she's too "unique"

And sure, we can agree to disagree, but I hope more people are understanding how silly it looks to look down on Echo inclusion when your character isn't even in the game yet. Especially since Dixie making it, even as an echo, means that much more people in the world who will suddenly know who Dixie is and possibly play her games.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Echo fighters are the ones that Sakurai wants. OK, Pichu is not an echo because proportions, but Toon & Young Link neither because potatoes. Doc is not because some moves, Chrom is because some moves doesn't matter. There isn't a clear rule, and if that rule exist, it could be broken in the next Direct, as happened with Chrom.
My two cents, Dixie could get several different moves from Diddy and still be listed as his echo because yes. Also, still we didn't see any echo fighter in action properly, not even the old clones, so we can't check the differences in a reasonable way.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Seems like using Dark Samus is a bad example in this case because you care about Dixie and not Dark Samus, honestly. You seem to imply that Dixie fans are true smash fans but Dark Samus fans aren't, sounds a bit rude to Dark Samus fans tbh.

Also, I stand by the fact that Dixie as an echo actually works pretty well. With a bubble gum gun that doesn't charge but shoots quickly, hair gliding as a double jump and DK's Up B except with her hair spin from DKC2, and a grab like DK's except picking up with hair... I don't see how it's so insulting of Dixie for her to jump at people, spike at people and kick at people like Diddy.

Sakurai IS a stickler for details, but he's also a game director. You're talking about the man that added Ganondorf as a clone of Captain Falcon just to be able to add Ganondorf and please his fans. On that note

Character plan being proposed in one go doesn't mean they won't consider factors like time, cost, nor does it mean that the plan they set out in 2015 went to swimmingly well that EVERYTHING in it happened exactly as planned.
Believe me, I say this as someone who works in the game industry... Game Design plans change A TON over the course of years. It's why we had Robin and not Chrom. It's why the Gematsu leak from Smash 4 wound up being inaccurate. It's why there were a group of forbidden 7 in Brawl.

It also makes no sense to assume that as they were looking at the game plan and looking at the poll, they didn't realize just how many characters could be echos and set apart a bunch of them to include in the game as lower priority IF time and money allows. Again, this happens a ton in the game industry, features and ideas that get tossed, put into a document, and only if time allows they happen, otherwise they get punted.

Lastly, you keep going back to "but Dixie is more important than other echoes"... but, AGAIN, that's not what this is about. This is about being realistic as to how these decisions are made. It also makes us sound like blind fans if we act like our character is the most important ever, like no one ever was... Did you know how huge Chrom was to Fire Emblem and reviving that series? Do you know how few people outside of Nintendo circles know about Dixie versus how many of them recognize Daisy because of Mario Kart? We're speculating on who's more important or meaningful based on what WE know about these characters, but maybe that's just not reflected in the greater gaming community.

I think it'd be healthy for people in this thread to start realizing that while Dixie may be a huge deal to us and while she may grow in fan desire post-K. Rool, this attitude that she's too important to be an echo is a bit lofty, and detrimental to the fact that if she makes in it as an echo that should be a better outcome than her not making it in because she's too "unique"

And sure, we can agree to disagree, but I hope more people are understanding how silly it looks to look down on Echo inclusion when your character isn't even in the game yet. Especially since Dixie making it, even as an echo, means that much more people in the world who will suddenly know who Dixie is and possibly play her games.
Noted. And also, I don’t hate Dark Samus, I just think she doesn’t compare to Dixie in terms of popularity, pontential, and relevance (which we know is a deciding factor for many characters that make the cut). And I think I can say that just about anyone who wants Dixie, wants the unique moveset that she could have.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
A cursory glance tells me I'm not actually on the support list for Dixie. Feel free to add me when you can. Dixie is one of my top 3. We need her for this to truly be ultimate.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If Dixie wasn't considered by Sakurai I find that very strange. She was planned as far back as Brawl. When he deciding to make K. Rool I doubt he didn't think Dixie would be made too. Metroid went up by 2 reps, I doubt Dark Samus is as requested as Dixie especially with Metroid being dead in Japan especially the Prime games.

grizby2

Smash Lord
dixie has my support. I was always torn between dixie and king k rool. well, now that k rool is in, theres nothing to lose if I can root for dixie's inclusion too. echo/clone/original. any of those will please me honestly.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
With Daisy, Dark Samus, and presumably Isabelle all becoming echoe fighters, it would be nice to have a couple female newcomers! (Inkling doesn’t count)

pepiux

Smash Apprentice

I'll only ask you this: why does Dixie have to be an Echo? Do we have a valid reason outside of "she can share assets with Diddy Kong"? Because I am quite sure that's not the only factor considered during development when deciding who'll be an Echo. I assure you, if Dixie Kong was a completely different-looking character, none of these discussions would arise, because people would only look at character potential. Much like Geno or Isaac, who don't share proportions with anyone for the most part and are not even close to being considered as Echoes.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with the whole idea of "characters that can be Echoes should be made Echoes for the sake of development time and roster size", which sounds pretty lame. Priorities have to be given to certain characters, no question about it. So I ask again, why does Dixie have to be an Echo? To make room for whom as unique?

Last edited:
Top Bottom