• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's a sign, alt colors from Wii U being removed is definitely a sign. And Sakurai mentioning how "we might've seen Chrom and Dark Samus coming" is a sign of him knowing we know it's a sign, haha.

So yes, I agree, and I think that may also be why we haven't seen Diddy's alt colors. Because if we don't see that pink clothing and light fur coloration as an alt, then we will most definitely expect Dixie Kong to appear. And Sakurai loves the presentation, the suspense, the surprise! And he'll want to surprise us with Dixie Kong, I'm sure of it.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I'm pretty sure it is, they also made his fur yellow which matches Dixie's hair, that costume is definitely a dixie reference
It is kinda yellowish. But DK's yellow color alt is even more yellow, so why didn't they do the same with Diddy's Dixie alt?
I guess I just don't want to be disappointed if they show Diddy's pink alt which would mean that Dixie is probably not in the game

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Why would they remove peach's daisy color scheme? I don't see how this makes sense, mario still has Luigi's alt like other characters I mentioned before do also have alts that resemble other characters. Does this mean he will remove color schemes from characters just because the character they are supposed to resemble becomes an actual character? They can still have the pallet swap
Daisy and Peach look very similar, having a Daisy alt on Peach would make it really hard to differentiate them in they were on the stage at the same time during a chaotic match. I'd imagine this is another reason the Wolf alt on Fox isn't a huge deal; they have very different dimensions now and look distinct enough from each other that similar colors probably won't confuse anyone.

As others have said, the Diddy alt is clearly a Dixie reference. Sakurai puts these alts in to both reference popular characters and also sort of "apologize" for not implementing them as playable. He's done this since N64 when he gave Mario his Wario alt since he never had time to include him. We've seen it with Fox/Wolf, Diddy/Dixie, Samus/DS, Ike/Chrom, Mario Bros/Waluigi, Peach/Daisy, Captain Falcon/Blood Falcon etc. Even Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc were going to get this treatment initially in Smash 4 until they decided they could alter them slightly and make them standalone fighters.

Suddenly we're seeing these alts disappear, likely because Sakurai no longer feels the need to apologetically put them in, as well as to avoid confusion if the two fighters are in the same battle. This is why Diddy's Dixie alt would be great evidence it it was gone. Why have it when you can play the real deal?

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Do you think that Sakurai's team was looking for information regarding requests on smashboards? I mean the way he trolled us with dedede at the beginning of k.rools reveal means to me that he's aware of our desire for more dk content. I hope he realized how underrepresented dk is im smash

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Daisy and Peach look very similar, having a Daisy alt on Peach would make it really hard to differentiate them in they were on the stage at the same time during a chaotic match. I'd imagine this is another reason the Wolf alt on Fox isn't a huge deal; they have very different dimensions now and look distinct enough from each other that similar colors probably won't confuse anyone.

As others have said, the Diddy alt is clearly a Dixie reference. Sakurai puts these alts in to both reference popular characters and also sort of "apologize" for not implementing them as playable. He's done this since N64 when he gave Mario his Wario alt since he never had time to include him. We've seen it with Fox/Wolf, Diddy/Dixie, Samus/DS, Ike/Chrom, Mario Bros/Waluigi, Peach/Daisy, Captain Falcon/Blood Falcon etc. Even Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc were going to get this treatment initially in Smash 4 until they decided they could alter them slightly and make them standalone fighters.

Suddenly we're seeing these alts disappear, likely because Sakurai no longer feels the need to apologetically put them in, as well as to avoid confusion if the two fighters are in the same battle. This is why Diddy's Dixie alt would be great evidence it it was gone. Why have it when you can play the real deal?
Ok that makes sense!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Do you think that Sakurai's team was looking for information regarding requests on smashboards? I mean the way he trolled us with dedede at the beginning of k.rools reveal means to me that he's aware of our desire for more dk content. I hope he realized how underrepresented dk is im smash
Probably, he mentioned how we saw Chrom and Dark Samus coming so there's probably some employees out there snooping around online, they know we knew about the missing costumes after all

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I have a gut feeling we’ll get about 4-5 more unique fighters due to the average amount of newcomers we get every game. I definitely think there’s no way Dixie didn’t make it in as the only ones left that are truly above her in popularity would be BD, Isaac, and Geno. And that’s kind of pushing it, seeing as BD and Geno are definitely more likely than Isaac, as I’m sure there’s only so many dead characters Sakurai will add. Even if she’s not unique or at least a semi-clone, she has the advantage of being able to be made as an echo of diddy with some different moves.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There's always hope for DLC though, I feel like this game is gonna have a very long lifespan, if there's a new DK game in the works that could definitely help her too
With how many fighters there are, I think everyone should not be hoping for a lot of DLC content. I doubt we will get as many DLC fighters this time as we did in Smash 4.
I have a gut feeling we’ll get about 4-5 more unique fighters due to the average amount of newcomers we get every game. I definitely think there’s no way Dixie didn’t make it in as the only ones left that are truly above her in popularity would be BD, Isaac, and Geno. And that’s kind of pushing it, seeing as BD and Geno are definitely more likely than Isaac, as I’m sure there’s only so many dead characters Sakurai will add. Even if she’s not unique or at least a semi-clone, she has the advantage of being able to be made as an echo of diddy with some different moves.
We already got Ridley, K. Rool, Simon and Inklings. Sakurai specifically said to not expect many new fighters (and by now, it is clear he meant unique ones) and you are expecting five more? Oh well, I am not the one who is going to be disappointed. The amount of newcomers of previous games mean nothing regarding this one. Personally, I think we get two more in October, and one before the release.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
With how many fighters there are, I think everyone should not be hoping for a lot of DLC content. I doubt we will get as many DLC fighters this time as we did in Smash 4.

We already got Ridley, K. Rool, Simon and Inklings. Sakurai specifically said to not expect many new fighters (and by now, it is clear he meant unique ones) and you are expecting five more? Oh well, I am not the one who is going to be disappointed. The amount of newcomers of previous games mean nothing regarding this one. Personally, I think we get two more in October, and one before the release.
Really? I honestly think the opposite, with how little brand new content is being added I think that means there'll be more DLC and a longer lifespan for this game than we expect.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Everbody is talking about how diddy's pink color alt is representing Dixie but does it really? Just because it's pink? I mean donkey's pink palette swap looks more like dixie color scheme. Who knows what Sakurai is thinking and what his intentions regarding hints are.
I said from the beginning that King K Rool's street sign in mario Odyssey, the "the end - just kidding" reference at the e3 smash showcase and the red eyes tweet from sakurai were hints but the majority was thinking it was just coincidence or meaningless... then we got K.rool. I'm confident we'll get Karate Joe because of the reference in K.rool's reveal trailer at the beginning.
Which reference to Karate Joe?

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Geno and Isaac are above Dixie in terms of popularity?? Is that true? Would be news to me. What's or who's BD?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Geno and Isaac are above Dixie in terms of popularity?? Is that true? Would be news to me. What's or who's BD?
Isaac probably is by a small amount just because his following since Brawl has been pretty huge. He has arguably more supporters, but a smaller chance of getting in by far. Geno is definitely below Dixie at this point in sheer numbers, but his fans are arguably among the most passionate. BD is Bandana Waddle Dee, considered by many to be possibly the number one frontrunning newcomer in speculation with Rool confirmed. His thread and supporter count is arguably one of the only ones that may beat Dixie, and Japan freaking loves him. If you liken Kirby to DK, Dedede to K Rool, and Diddy to Meta Knight, then Bandana Dee is their Dixie, basically.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee is what I’m referring to with BD. Also, Isaac and especially Geno were among the top most wanted around brawl speculation, and again with smash 4 dlc.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Oh, ok I didn't know that. I also joined smashboards relatively late around the time smash 4 dlc was announced because I was worried about Dixie and K.rool still not being in smash and I wanted to support them.
I think there are lots of guys like me who have been playing smash since 64 and are hoping for certain characters but are too lazy to join sites like smashboards to support the characters they wish for.
And I also think that characters like Isaac and Geno really aren't well known by many people besides the core fanbase like at smashboards. But does that really mean they are more popular than others just because their fanbase is a vocal minority?
You have to keep in mind that not soooo many people have played the games they were in.
I wouldn't mind Geno and Isaac being in the game, especially Isaac, I think he's very interesting.
Sorry for my stupidity, haha, BD = Bandana dee :-) I love the Kirby games, even though I think that the newest entry star allies was not as good as Planet robobot or triple deluxe and as such I didn't enjoy that game that much. I agree on Bandana Dee being veeeeery popular especially in Japan, they love kirby because it's kawaii.
But to be honest, I'd rather have Marx, Rick/Kine/Coo or someone else than BD. He is kind of boring and I always thought he was forced upon the player as the fourth character in recent kirby games. I just think that the fourth Kirby rep should be as interesting as Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight. But that's only my opinion.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
We alwready have 4 unique newcomers, so I don't expect more than 2 more at this point.
I however think we will get much more echoes, at least 4 more.
Dixie, Shadow, Isabelle, and hell even Medusa could be some of them.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
How can I get added to the supporters list? Been actively rooting for Dixie since Brawl...

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
at this point...Dixie is the only one character i will be veryyy veryyy sad and upset if she is not in the game...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Oh, ok I didn't know that. I also joined smashboards relatively late around the time smash 4 dlc was announced because I was worried about Dixie and K.rool still not being in smash and I wanted to support them.
I think there are lots of guys like me who have been playing smash since 64 and are hoping for certain characters but are too lazy to join sites like smashboards to support the characters they wish for.
And I also think that characters like Isaac and Geno really aren't well known by many people besides the core fanbase like at smashboards. But does that really mean they are more popular than others just because their fanbase is a vocal minority?
You have to keep in mind that not soooo many people have played the games they were in.
I wouldn't mind Geno and Isaac being in the game, especially Isaac, I think he's very interesting.
Sorry for my stupidity, haha, BD = Bandana dee :-) I love the Kirby games, even though I think that the newest entry star allies was not as good as Planet robobot or triple deluxe and as such I didn't enjoy that game that much. I agree on Bandana Dee being veeeeery popular especially in Japan, they love kirby because it's kawaii.
But to be honest, I'd rather have Marx, Rick/Kine/Coo or someone else than BD. He is kind of boring and I always thought he was forced upon the player as the fourth character in recent kirby games. I just think that the fourth Kirby rep should be as interesting as Kirby, Dedede and Meta Knight. But that's only my opinion.
The thing with Geno is that this is probably a now or never situation, and the same goes for Isaac as well, seeing as they are both very much dead characters. Since the Geno fan base has been pushing so hard since brawl days, they deserve this victory. Same with Isaac, if this game is truly here to appease fans, then both should be featured as playable. The only thing is that Isaac has much bigger hurdle, being that he has been an AT in the past, and it takes Little Mac levels of popularity to make that promotion, unless they can be made into an echo easily, like Dark Samus, and most likely Isabelle. Also I think another problem Isaac has to face is the rise in popularity of characters like Dixie Kong, who had been popular for just as long, and may even be part of the big three in terms of requests now, and Bandana Dee, who was barely present at all during brawl times.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Chrom and Dark Samus were just the things we needed after that amazing direct.

Chrom shows us Echoes can have moves that differ from their host and Dark Samus shows echoes from a franchise that already had a character trailer are a thing. Personally I think Dixie really has a shot and i've got a lot banking on this as she is the last character I want in to be satisfied with this series for life. Having the main DKC quartet in smash would be a dream come true and to have them in an amazing game like Ultimate?? I'd go insane.

Dixie is by far my most wanted now and i'm gonna be sad if she aint in.

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
Maybe we will get "The Rivals, part 2" including Dixie. It would make sense if we consider the fact that in the original DKC trilogy she fought against K.Rool more than DK himself!

Luigi player

Smash Master
More than likely that was just meant to show the milestone we're currently at. I find it extremely doubtful that we're getting only four new stages. This would also require that none of the upcoming newcomers bring a stage with them, and if they're from a new series, that would be really odd.
Why is that more than likely? He clearly shows the total of the other games and then goes on to show you the total of this game and also says so.
Yeah, it means there won't be other newcomers with stages. But obviously, DLC stages could easily be a thing.

I don't think that's what he meant when he was talking about 103 tbh, and I'm doubtful we'll only get 4 brand new stages regardless of how many old ones are coming back

Plus the stage select they showed has 6 empty spots at the bottom

If there weren't any more they'd just centre it like they always have
I mean, they're investing a lot of time on characters and probably that new mode as well. Just look at how many stages we got. It's absolutely crazy. Of course it's sad that some didn't make it back and that we only get a few new ones, but that's how it will be in the base game I guess.
Yeah the 6 spaces at the bottom look kinda annoying. As a game dev you'd probably like to at least order them differently (make the last row be centered horizontally), but idk. At least there will be room for possible DLC stages.

I mean I wouldn't think it's all we get if he didn't say this game has a total of 103 stages and how he presented that.

Btw, I wonder what they had done for Dixie in Brawl, since she was planned to be a character alongside Diddy. I kinda doubt they'd make her a complete clone. I already said this in this thread, but she'd have no reason to be a switchout-character for Diddy if she was the same. So there had to be a (at least somewhat original) concept for her. Now we don't know how much work they had already put in for her.. but because of these things I was expecting her to join in Smash4 at least. It's weird to me that they didn't just take what they had and finished her as her own character.

But of course it's not sure that they will try making her more unique with what they possibly already had for her.. since it might've still been too much work so they decide to go the "echo"-route with her. We'll see when she makes it in, if she does (right now I think she's a little bit more likely than not, so about 60 %).

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Why is that more than likely? He clearly shows the total of the other games and then goes on to show you the total of this game and also says so.
Yeah, it means there won't be other newcomers with stages. But obviously, DLC stages could easily be a thing.

I mean, they're investing a lot of time on characters and probably that new mode as well. Just look at how many stages we got. It's absolutely crazy. Of course it's sad that some didn't make it back and that we only get a few new ones, but that's how it will be in the base game I guess.
Yeah the 6 spaces at the bottom look kinda annoying. As a game dev you'd probably like to at least order them differently (make the last row be centered horizontally), but idk. At least there will be room for possible DLC stages.

I mean I wouldn't think it's all we get if he didn't say this game has a total of 103 stages and how he presented that.

Btw, I wonder what they had done for Dixie in Brawl, since she was planned to be a character alongside Diddy. I kinda doubt they'd make her a complete clone. I already said this in this thread, but she'd have no reason to be a switchout-character for Diddy if she was the same. So there had to be a (at least somewhat original) concept for her. Now we don't know how much work they had already put in for her.. but because of these things I was expecting her to join in Smash4 at least. It's weird to me that they didn't just take what they had and finished her as her own character.

But of course it's not sure that they will try making her more unique with what they possibly already had for her.. since it might've still been too much work so they decide to go the "echo"-route with her. We'll see when she makes it in, if she does (right now I think she's a little bit more likely than not, so about 60 %).
Sakurai doesn't like to plan ahead for DLC, and it seems uncharacteristic for him to leave the stage select like that, and we're months away from release, I can't really believe that they've already revealed all the stages. Plus it'd be a complete waste to not add a monster hunter stage when one is practically done for the boss fight.

And yeah it's been mentioned that sakurai probably has a completely unique moveset for dixie lying around somewhere, now is a good time to put it to use. And with smash 4 I guess she was just low priority, the smash 4 project plan was made in summer 2012 and tropical freeze wasn't announced until a year later and wasn't released until the year after that, hence why there was practically no tropical freeze content in smash 4.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
It's more than likely because of what I said immediately after that, and also, as I forgot when I made that post, the empty space at the end of the list.

He told us how many stages are currently there, but he never said it was the absolute final amount.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
It's more than likely because of what I said immediately after that, and also, as I forgot when I made that post, the empty space at the end of the list.

He told us how many stages are currently there, but he never said it was the absolute final amount.
I think that too, he never said anything about how many Stages there'll be. It would be really weird to not have a stage from the latest dk game.
Is that a fire emblem character on your profile pic??? I've started playing the fe games just recently with fe conquest, such a great game but very very very tough!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
In regards to Diddy alts, how many have we actually seen though? People theorized Chrom and Dark Samus because Ike and Samus were in the demo, so we knew for a fact those specific skins were missing. Diddy was not in the demo, and on the website I only see red, blue, and yellow.

I think Dixie has a great shot still, but I don't want people to get their hopes up over potentially nothing.

And Marcello691 Marcello691 I believe that is one of the protagonists from the newest Fire Emblem game that was announced at E3, "Three Houses".

Last edited:

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
In regards to Diddy alts, how many have we actually seen though? People theorized Chrom and Dark Samus because Ike and Samus were in the demo, so we knew for a fact those specific skins were missing. Diddy was not in the demo, and on the website I only see red, blue, and yellow.

I think Dixie has a great shot still, but I don't want people to get their hopes up over potentially nothing.

And Marcello691 Marcello691 I believe that is one of the protagonists from the newest Fire Emblem game that was announced at E3, "Three Houses".
I know this is a stretch, but you think if Diddy still had his Dixie alternate that they would have shown it off in his pictures. In Olimar's pictures, it shows off the Alph costume, Luigi's shows off his Waluigi costume, K.Rool's shows some costumes based on other kremlings, etc... My point is that they seem to be showing off all the costumes that Characters have that all supposed to represent other characters, but they haven't shown the Dixie costume yet. And for characters who don't have costumes that really represent other characters, they like to show their most notable one. For example Mario's Builder costume, Link's tunic of the wild, both versions of Cloud and Bayonetta, etc... The Dixie costume is also Diddy's most notable costume, so you think they would show it off it was still there. I don't know if this is actually a hint by Sakurai, but I really hope it is.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Quick question - how do we know that Diddy’s tail jab was removed? Was it in a video or something?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

That's what we were saying before. We haven't seen his alts yet, which means we can't deduce her inclusion the same way. We were talking about how nice it would be...IF we'd seen Diddy's alts. But we haven't. So it's not getting anyone's hopes up. We just concluded that a future demo with playable Diddy could possibly tease Dixie through a lack of alternate costume, as we've seen with the current Echoes.

Also the tail jab thing means nothing, so no one should worry about it. Sakurai stated that rapid jabs are separate inputs now done by holding the button. Diddy likely had his rapid separated from his three hit combo like Falcon did in Smash 4. They probably wanted players to be able to use his jab without being forced into rapid jab at the end. There is absolutely no reason to believe the tail attack is gone.

And if Dixie echoes Diddy, she'll probably share his three hit jab and use her hair for rapid jab anyway.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That K Rool trailer ended on the perfect cliffhanger. I can see the next slew of echo reveals picking up from there (I definitely think she’ll be a Chrom-style hybrid of Diddy and DK) with Dixie coming in to save DK and Diddy like in DKC 2 & 3

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Quick question - how do we know that Diddy’s tail jab was removed? Was it in a video or something?
We don't, diddy has always had both a gentleman and a rapid jab, it's just we've only seen the gentleman, whether the other has been removed is unknown

D

Deleted member

I accept the idea of Dixie as a :ultdiddy: echo only if she has her signature ponytail swirl as her dash attack.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I accept the idea of Dixie as a :ultdiddy: echo only if she has her signature ponytail swirl as her dash attack.
I'll be satisfied with an echo as long as she has
- Her signature dash attack
- A ponytail up special
- A peach-esque glide
- Hair grabs

But I honestly can't tell if that's too different for an echo or not, after all chrom only changes one move and it's borrowed from ike.

Regardless, I trust sakurai, he wouldn't do a character as dixie with no changes would be.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'll be satisfied with an echo as long as she has
- Her signature dash attack
- A ponytail up special
- A peach-esque glide
- Hair grabs

But I honestly can't tell if that's too different for an echo or not, after all chrom only changes one move and it's borrowed from ike
With Dr. mario not being an echo with only one different move (with some different movement and damage properties). I fail to see how Dixie would work as an echo, considering if Sakurai wants to stay true to her games, he’d have to utilize a glide, spinning ponytail recovery, and her dash attack would be entirely different. Not to mention her speed on the ground would need to be slower than Diddy’s, and she’d be more of an aerial contender. Just with that she’s already in semi-clone territory at worst.

cybersai

Smash Ace
There's no way Dark Samus or Daisy were more requested for Smash than Dixie, that's why I assume she's getting in. I could see Chrom if only because the Japanese are obsessed with Fire Emblem, but Dixie is a mainstream character far more popular than Daisy or Dark Samus.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
With Dr. mario not being an echo with only one different move (with some different movement and damage properties). I fail to see how Dixie would work as an echo, considering if Sakurai wants to stay true to her games, he’d have to utilize a glide, spinning ponytail recovery, and her dash attack would be entirely different. Not to mention her speed on the ground would need to be slower than Diddy’s, and she’d be more of an aerial contender. Just with that she’s already in semi-clone territory at worst.
Yeah, just thinking about the things Dixie NEEDS to have to properly represent her abilities she's shown in games, she wouldn't really line up with our current set of echoes, and if she was classified as one she'd be by far the most different of all of them

Top Bottom